• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavaloo

I like it, too. I just worry if he'll actually be able to stay hype all the time lol.

Imagine having to stay hype during an entire royal rumble.

good point! haha

admittedly one of the first things I thought was "What happens when he has a 'coming back' sequence?" or something I think I heard him refer to as "hyper drive," - wouldn't that indeed be... getting hype?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I feel like the people who came straight to the WWE developmental system with no previous experience will never be as competent in ring as those who traveled the world and worked a bunch of different styles to create their own in ring identity.

I disagree. He's got the a presence about him and enthusiasm for what he is doing. He is hype and he gets other people hype.....and oh good god Tori.....and while I agree, he's got a good way to go before he's there, he does have potential.

straight up the first time I've seen Mojo Riley was on the This Is NXT feature with his "I don't get hype, I STAY hype" promo. COMPLETELY FUCKING SOLD! I can totally understand why the crowd would get behind him. It's such a wonderfully simple gimmick and done with real enthusiasm. His ring work will come with time, that's why he's in developmental lol.
Wow. We are wither looking at two different brahs or the E's target audience has finally been found. Wow. No offense, but he is completely awful. He is The Ascension with a smile.

strobogo

Banned
Punk's lack of physical coordination and traditional athleticism has never held him back from putting on great matches.

I feel like the people who came straight to the WWE developmental system with no previous experience will never be as competent in ring as those who traveled the world and worked a bunch of different styles to create their own in ring identity.

This. Obviously the WWE style is a whole different animal and not every great wrestler created outside of that system is going to be able to adapt to it, but the experience gained from working as many places as possible is what makes guys like Cesaro, Bryan and Seth such competent, well-rounded wrestlers.

I kinda wish WWE would send their home-grown talent out on learning excursions to other promotions, like New Japan does, but I guess the whole Performance Center deal is so they can do everything in-house.

Pavaloo

Wow. We are wither looking at two different brahs or the E's target audience has finally been found. Wow. No offense, but he is completely awful. He is The Ascension with a smile.

1) I haven't seen him wrestle yet, completely going off his promo package which sold me. Same thing happened for me and the Wyatts.

2) The Ascension can't wrestle, but they ALSO can't promo for shit and have no real enthusiasm for their gimmick. It's a pretty big difference.

3) Mojo has an impressive physique that I can believe being a powerhouse, I believe Connor O'Brien is fat.

Presentation and enthusiasm/"being real"(- Batista) can get you over with "The People," because they believe in you. Charm, charisma, "it" factor, etc.

Kaladin

Don't get me wrong, Mojo has a lot of work to do in the ring. But he's got the presence thing down. He knows how to work a crowd and that's a part of the equation a lot of guys who have all the ring ability in the world don't get.

I know it's not midnight, but....

TngfJFS.jpg

I was a fan of Tori.

Pavaloo

Stole this from /wooo/

Interesting undercurrent gimmick to Evolution - while Randy Orton, as a third generation superstar, made the most since from a genetic's perspective, Batista was also billed as a "genetic revolution" because of how ripped he was and Triple H had believed himself "born better" as early as his Blueblood days. Rounding this group off was the Nature Boy, Ric Flair, who being a nature boy literally meant everything was natural to him and he was, like the others "born this way".

Unlike the Four Horsemen, which was about having a group of men who believed they were the best in general protecting each other, Evolution was actually an extension of Triple H's viewpoint that some people just have "it" from birth. It was a stable based entirely around eugenics.

>yfw Triple H vs. Eugene had this as its entire subtext, right down to Eugene's name being literally eugenics.
Also, the idea that some are born better has now influenced the Wrestlemania main event in storyline, which is also why Triple H has it out for Daniel Bryan.

Triple H being a eugenicist is pretty much confirmed and stayed a part of his character for his entire run. It would also explain his desire to be part of the McMahon's bloodline.
>teamed with an attractive alpha male blonde and Chyna, a woman seen as a genetic freak for her ability to fight men
>the Booker T Wrestlemania feud
>the use of Christian imagery, particularly the Iron Cross
>the use of Norse mythology from a character design point
>why he supports Randy Orton, and now Batista (who, just this Friday, said he was born better than anyone else and deserved to be top dog)
>marrying into the McMahons, the closest thing to a royal bloodline in wrestling
>idolizing Ric Flair, a blonde haired superman with all the wealth and power anyone could want, but was apparently born with these abilities
>Evolution in its entirety, including the feud with Eugene
>the name Hunter Hearst Helmsley - Hunter is self-explanatory, but Hearst is interesting. It's first use is in England during the reign of William the Conqueror, and who's family emigrated from England as nobles to land in New York City. Helmsley, meanwhile, is an indirect translation of a "shepard's clearing". Given that Jesus is referred to as both the King of Kings and a shepard, this leads to a rather apt general translation for his name that fits the theme of his whole career.
>Triple H believes himself to be Aryan Jesus come to cleanse the world of wrestling
1393654766437.gif

there's even more but I'll just leave it at that for now

GhaleonQ

From the last topic, sorry:

That Legit Shook sign. So good.
Man that Legit Shook sign still has me beaming. Who was it that brought it?

tumblr_msmds3aadY1qko5wdo1_250.gif

As far as I could tell, that was the best shot they got of me and the sign. See below, but there was a PERFECT one where Ziggler taunted Batista in the opening, they cut to Dave looking confused, and LEGIT SHOOK was right by his head. It must have been edited out.

:(

@HEELZiggler: kudos to @WWE for editing out the
WE WANT ZIGGLER chants
face to face w/dave
I will never forget that
thank u milwaukee
#SmackDown
And then:

@HEELZiggler: ...it only wouldve helped the show and made the match that much better @wwe
#SmackDown
keep doing your thing @WWEUniverse

This guy is fresh out of fucks to give.

Whoa, they did! You can hear the beginning faintly, twice, but it built quickly such that he did the "stop and look around" wrestler thing to intimidate Batista. It went on for 45 seconds or so and he had to stop the crowd. Even the kids were in on it.

Why would they edit out positive chants for a face?

It went on awhile *points up*, so they had to make time for those Raw recaps!

Confession: I don't miss CM Punk at all. Seriously. Yes, he was a great talker (one of the best, in fact), but, man, was he super sloppy in the ring the past 6-8 months. In fact, he was never that great of a wrestler to begin with (I'm seriously not trolling, btw).

When it comes to the indy darlings (Cesaro, Bryan, Zayn, Rollins, etc.) Punk is easily my least favorite in the ring. All those other guys I just listed are phenomenal, though (Cesaro is easily my favorite wrestler right now).

Curious what y'all think. :)

I'd like to say that his big advantage is that he helped his "network" out in a way the others wouldn't have, but Rollins-Ambrose and Zayn-Cesaro prove that's not really the case.

It's unfortunate for him that all of the things you wouldn't expect of the indie crowd (mic skills in a WWE context, meeting "big match" expectations) he has, yes, but most of the others do, too.

I scanned a few photos I took from Nitro in 97'.

Just seeing a perfect picture of Ultimo Dragon makes my day better. Thanks!

Adam Rose was.....interesting. Yeah.

I think that NXT's major weakness could become short-term reactions determining futures. I don't want to say that Kruger didn't get a LONG time to convince people (as much as I loved his style and persona), but I don't know how you can debut 5 or 6 comedic gimmicks per year. There's just an imbalance in the stories WWE is likely to tell. Heck, even when they have a winner with an easy-to-execute plan like Emma, they don't trust themselves to do it.

Adam Rose will probably be more popular than Leo Kruger in NXt, but I doubt he has the sunset date of Kruger on Raw.

You say this as if storytelling and in-ring charisma aren't a huge part of the best WWE matches of all time. CM Punk wasn't being used correctly which may make you think you don't miss him because, let's be honest, he might as well have been gone for a number of months anyway, but CM Punk being used properly is a huge, HUGE plus to any roster, and any booker worth their salt. When he's going full throttle as a heel or tweener, he looks more naturally charismatic in the ring than anyone else in the company, and does lots of "little things" that feel off the cuff, and makes him feel complete as a worker. He's not just an "indy darling" having a good technical match, or even Bray Wyatt who does a great job staying in character but very much feels like he's following a script, but a real person out there who's feeding off of the crowd, the energy of the match, what his opponent's doing, and whatever pops into his head. It's not just about his wrestling, it's never been.

You make some good points, particularly about storytelling and in-ring charisma. I can't deny he's very proficient in both those areas. But, to me, his overall sloppiness and lack of any real athletic talent is what killed it for me.

Also: y'know all the jokes about him looking like a Waffle House chef? Well, it's true -- I just don't buy that CM Punk is a guy that is a legit badass. It's hard for me to suspend my disbelief that this dude can even CONCEIVABLY beat Brock Lesnar in a real fight. It's positively preposterous, really. So when they feuded, I just found it laughable.

However, I TOTALLY believe Cesaro is a badass and I firmly believe he'd throw my ass into the 5th row (maybe farther). Same goes for Bryan -- even though he's small and short, I buy that he's a dude that can kick ass. I just never got that from Punk. Great, great talker, but that's about it, really.

BTW: I've thought this WAY before he came to the WWE. I remember my friends raving about his ROH matches back in the day and I just didn't understand why he was so hyped up, especially when he debuted in ECW. My initial reaction was: "Uh, that's it?" Whereas I was immediately a fan of the other ROH guys.

They had Bret Hart at ringside for a match with Natalya, and I went down to ringside and shook his hand as he went around after the match....that was a moment for me. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan so getting to shake his hand was awesome.

The coolest thing about shaking Bret Hart's hand is, once you've done it once, you never have to do it again, cause they are basically all the same handshake.

Kaladin

I think that NXT's major weakness could become short-term reactions determining futures. I don't want to say that Kruger didn't get a LONG time to convince people (as much as I loved his style and persona), but I don't know how you can debut 5 or 6 comedic gimmicks per year. There's just an imbalance in the stories WWE is likely to tell. Heck, even when they have a winner with an easy-to-execute plan like Emma, they don't trust themselves to do it.

Adam Rose will probably be more popular than Leo Kruger in NXt, but I doubt he has the sunset date of Kruger on Raw.

You have to think, NXT is development for creative as well as wrestlers. I think that's a big part of the reason we see some wrestlers go through multiple persona changes in NXT and eventually repackaged on the main roster.

Cesaro's got to drop the Neutralizer. It has the same end result as the Styles Clash, but it comes off bad because you're expecting a piledriver, and the way he holds them between the legs seems unnecessary. Just make it a Styles Clash.

Pavaloo

I feel like the Neutralizer is a great finish because it also feels like a feat of strength to me. He also usually does it after knocking someone the fuck out with the uppercut, it's a good one-two!

Cesaro's got to drop the Neutralizer. It has the same end result as the Styles Clash, but it comes off bad because you're expecting a piledriver, and the way he holds them between the legs seems unnecessary. Just make it a Styles Clash.

I agree, it doesn't look all that great - they should just let him do a Gotch-style piledriver, which is what it looks like he's setting up for anyways;

iAqJIlsHHsaNy.gif

You make some good points, particularly about storytelling and in-ring charisma. I can't deny he's very proficient in both those areas. But, to me, his overall sloppiness and lack of any real athletic talent is what killed it for me.

Also: y'know all the jokes about him looking like a Waffle House chef? Well, it's true -- I just don't buy that CM Punk is a guy that is a legit badass. It's hard for me to suspend my disbelief that this dude can even CONCEIVABLY beat Brock Lesnar in a real fight. It's positively preposterous, really. So when they feuded, I just found it laughable.

However, I TOTALLY believe Cesaro is a badass and I firmly believe he'd throw my ass into the 5th row (maybe farther). Same goes for Bryan -- even though he's small and short, I buy that he's a dude that can kick ass. I just never got that from Punk. Great, great talker, but that's about it, really.

BTW: I've thought this WAY before he came to the WWE. I remember my friends raving about his ROH matches back in the day and I just didn't understand why he was so hyped up, especially when he debuted in ECW. My initial reaction was: "Uh, that's it?" Whereas I was immediately a fan of the other ROH guys.

Punk's not a badass, though, not in the conventional sense. His natural role is that of the outcast. The guy who stands apart from the rest of the roster, even apart from the face/heel split, and follows his own code. The believability (aside from getting over how he looks and suspending disbelief) comes from his ability to tell a story, get in his opponent's + the audiences head(s), and make it seem like he'll do anything to anyone even if it gets him beat down, fired, or killed. He's supposed to be the tough lone wolf who's proficient enough in, and against, most styles to keep him afloat, but his cunning, ego, and rebellious attitude helps him swim with the sharks.

He's supposed to be a mix of Raven, HHH, and Jake The Snake, and the foil of everyone on the roster because of his versatility. Basing everything on his physical ability is looking at it the wrong way. He's the psychological character that also happens to not be a coward heel (or even sometimes the babyface depending on his motives). When they don't use him as such, he and the angle suffers.

I always thought of the Neutralizer he does as a badder ass version of the Pedigree. I kinda like it, plus they will never let him do an actual piledriver.

I can see what you mean about Punk not looking like a legit threat to Lesnar or most guys, but in the world of pro wrestling, he's the guy that's in everyone's head. He's the guy who goes way, way too far to really mentally fuck up his opponent, and he knows some MMA and Japanese wrestling shit to finish them off when the match happens.

No one else could have done the Taker vs Punk storyline like Punk. Him dicking around with the Paul Bearer urn and later pouring the ashes on Taker's body, rubbing the ashes all over himself, eating the ashes, etc. was fucking gold. During the WM match itself, he's constantly mocking Taker's moveset and gimmick. In wrestling logic, I could believe that Taker was thrown way off of his game by all of this bullshit and could be beaten.

Think about things like Heyman and Punk recreating Lawler's heart attack in the ring, or the ways Punk got real as fuck and broke out of contrived wrestling angles against Cena at MITB 2011, or how he held that title for almost a year and a half no matter what bullshit got piled on him. He's a legitimate heel who actually wants the fans and his opponents to hate him. The mental game is real (if you watch UFC, think about how GSP's career high and low points are always tied to how he lets things get to him).

I'll say that Punk has the slowest, sloppiest, and laziest kicks in professional wrestling for a guy who's supposed to be the best at them. He always does that roundhouse head kick that just looks like he's resting his leg on his opponent's shoulder.

I always thought of the Neutralizer he does as a badder ass version of the Pedigree. I kinda like it, plus they will never let him do an actual piledriver.
I can see that. The Pedigree is still leagues better because of the double underhook so the guy's face isn't protected at all. I feel like there's no impact when the Neutralizer hits. A lot of finishers have lame impact, like the Attitude Adjustment, but they're a bit more believable because they come out of nowhere. The Neutralizer has a lot of set up that kills that aspect of it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I'm okay with the Neutralizer but the Pedigree is definitely a better move. It looks more painful and while its not sudden it isn't nearly as slow to deliver.

Cesaro could definitely use a better finisher though.

Evening folks (or I guess afternoon for the US guys). After hearing Gerstmann bury Souled Out 97 thought I would try it out. Wow. I only really had access to WWF when I started out and I only really watched from 2000 onwards so this whole NWO takeover thing is just the weirdest thing in hindsight. The show starts with tweener dudes shouting out WCW SUCKS. I'm still on the opener but so far this is fun watching with the benefit of hindsight.

Punk's not a badass, though, not in the conventional sense. His natural role is that of the outcast. The guy who stands apart from the rest of the roster, even apart from the face/heel split, and follows his own code. The believability (aside from getting over how he looks and suspending disbelief) comes from his ability to tell a story, get in his opponent's + the audiences head(s), and make it seem like he'll do anything to anyone even if it gets him beat down, fired, or killed. He's supposed to be the tough lone wolf who's proficient enough in, and against, most styles to keep him afloat, but his cunning, ego, and rebellious attitude helps him swim with the sharks.

He's supposed to be a mix of Raven, HHH, and Jake The Snake, and the foil of everyone on the roster because of his versatility. Basing everything on his physical ability is looking at it the wrong way. He's the psychological character that also happens to not be a coward heel (or even sometimes the babyface depending on his motives). When they don't use him as such, he and the angle suffers.

What I meant about him not being a badass was less about him being PERCEIVED as one by the audience, but more my own take on his believability of being a professional wrestler (if that makes sense?). Basically, heel/face/whatever, I just have a hard time believing that CM Punk can actually beat up someone in a real fight. That's all. He's not very athletic, he's not very strong, and he's not very graceful. And that's not his fault -- that's genetics.

But, to your point about him being believable as an outcast, I 100% agree with that. As a CHARACTER, I love CM Punk. Like I've said, he's one of the best talkers out there, and he's phenomenal at blurring the lines between fiction and reality. Sadly, as good as a talker as he has, I just don't want to see him wrestle. In fact, like I stated a few posts back, I'd LOVE for him to be a commentator. I've been listening to a lot of Jessie Ventura on the WWE Network and I just adore his commentary. I think Punk could do a MUCH better job at JBL's heel-like commentary role.

I can see what you mean about Punk not looking like a legit threat to Lesnar or most guys, but in the world of pro wrestling, he's the guy that's in everyone's head. He's the guy who goes way, way too far to really mentally fuck up his opponent, and he knows some MMA and Japanese wrestling shit to finish them off when the match happens.

No one else could have done the Taker vs Punk storyline like Punk. Him dicking around with the Paul Bearer urn and later pouring the ashes on Taker's body, rubbing the ashes all over himself, eating the ashes, etc. was fucking gold. During the WM match itself, he's constantly mocking Taker's moveset and gimmick. In wrestling logic, I could believe that Taker was thrown way off of his game by all of this bullshit and could be beaten.

Think about things like Heyman and Punk recreating Lawler's heart attack in the ring, or the ways Punk got real as fuck and broke out of contrived wrestling angles against Cena at MITB 2011, or how he held that title for almost a year and a half no matter what bullshit got piled on him. He's a legitimate heel who actually wants the fans and his opponents to hate him. The mental game is real (if you watch UFC, think about how GSP's career high and low points are always tied to how he lets things get to him).

I'll say that Punk has the slowest, sloppiest, and laziest kicks in professional wrestling for a guy who's supposed to be the best at them. He always does that roundhouse head kick that just looks like he's resting his leg on his opponent's shoulder.

You definitely brought up some great points, particularly his ability to build up programs. Like I said, I think he's an awesome character, and is leagues better than most of the guys on the roster when it comes to cutting a promo. His work with John Cena during the Summer of Punk was awesome, and his feuds with Rey/Jeff Hardy were also great. I just wish his wrestling ability matched his character/promos. If that were the case, I'd easily call him one of the best wrestlers of all-time.

Rapstah

Raven vs. Regal at WWF Invasion might just be the match I've seen where the guys were the least in sync. Neither guy has a clue what the other is trying to do at any point. It's almost funny.

GQman2121

Banned
I can see that. The Pedigree is still leagues better because of the double underhook so the guy's face isn't protected at all. I feel like there's no impact when the Neutralizer hits. A lot of finishers have lame impact, like the Attitude Adjustment, but they're a bit more believable because they come out of nowhere. The Neutralizer has a lot of set up that kills that aspect of it.

It's a fine finisher for this age of wrestling. And as mentioned it's typically paired with the uppercut.

Look at Cena and Orton who have two of the tamest move-sets you'll ever see. Cena uses a borderline firemans carry body slam and the RKO is nothing more than a comical diamond cutter.

I never understood the point of editing out chants. There are certain things to edit out depending on the context, but why edit out simple things like We Want Ziggler?

What I meant about him not being a badass was less about him being PERCEIVED as one by the audience, but more my own take on his believability of being a professional wrestler (if that makes sense?). Basically, heel/face/whatever, I just have a hard time believing that CM Punk can actually beat up someone in a real fight. That's all. He's not very athletic, he's not very strong, and he's not very graceful. And that's not his fault -- that's genetics.

But, to your point about him being believable as an outcast, I 100% agree with that. As a CHARACTER, I love CM Punk. Like I've said, he's one of the best talkers out there, and he's phenomenal at blurring the lines between fiction and reality. Sadly, as good as a talker as he has, I just don't want to see him wrestle. In fact, like I stated a few posts back, I'd LOVE for him to be a commentator. I've been listening to a lot of Jessie Ventura on the WWE Network and I just adore his commentary. I think Punk could do a MUCH better job at JBL's heel-like commentary role.

I get what you're saying, 100%, I just have a hard time seeing it the way you do because Punk is such a great presence in terms of storytelling and mannerisms that it doesn't bother me. Would I prefer that his ring work was more crisp and hard hitting? Absolutely, but I don't think it holds him back, and I definitely don't want him sitting on the bench because he can carry a ton of guys to a feud that's more than just "I beat you, you beat me."

strobogo

Banned
Swiss Death should be Cesaro's finisher. It's the most legit OUTTA NOWHERE move in WWE right now. It looks awesome and crushes dude. Or some kind of other deadlift kind of move that shows off his power. The Neutralizer only really does that when he's picking up guys like Khali.

Hasney

Raven vs. Regal at WWF Invasion might just be the match I've seen where the guys were the least in sync. Neither guy has a clue what the other is trying to do at any point. It's almost funny.

I know, I was really hyped up for the match at the time as it was two of my favourites. Some guys just don't have chemistry no matter how good they are, I guess.

I never understood the point of editing out chants. There are certain things to edit out depending on the context, but why edit out simple things like We Want Ziggler?

I find it extra strange considering it fits the narrative if it was while Batista was out. Either that or that chant didn't happen and it was just a tweet gimmick. Wrasslegaf sign guy should confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom