• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

The Rizza

Nope. But it sure as hell looks neat having a full screen of perfect CC rankings! You only need 1 star rating minimum on every cup in 200CC to unlock Golden Mario.

I don't think you even need 1 star minimum on each since I have a couple cups with only the gold trophy and I unlocked Golden Mario

EDIT: Whoops, was just mentioned a couple posts above. Should've read a little more before responding

Takat

Why is there no restart option? Why if I wanna restart the championship I can't?

It's also in FastRMX, I remember a time when you could just restart the championship from a menu and not quit and go all the way back to the main menu.

sugarless

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but what does the '100' mean on the lower right corner of the frame that surrounds the track that is selected from the player votes online?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but what does the '100' mean on the lower right corner of the frame that surrounds the track that is selected from the player votes online?

I'm pretty sure it's the speed class.

So 100 is 100CC, 150 is 150CC, and presumably equivalent for 50,200, mirror (?).

sugarless

Ohh thanks. I didn't see a CC selection screen so I didn't even think of it. How can you get the higher CCs? Is it based on the rank of the players playing?

v0mitg0d

wait wait wait!

hold on!

You cannot play 3-player wireless multiplayer?!?!?!

We're sitting here with 3 switches trying to figure out how to play together. What are we doing wrong?!

sugarless

wait wait wait!

hold on!

You cannot play 3-player wireless multiplayer?!?!?!

We're sitting here with 3 switches trying to figure out how to play together. What are we doing wrong?!

For wireless you can have up to 2 people split screen per switch. So check you aren't trying to go in with more than 2 per console maybe? But it should just work.

jokkir

I finally did it!

0IhndVy.jpg

ChYFwWz.jpg

H3FalMs.jpg

Pretty neat. I get new title/menu screens and new credits. Too bad 3 stars dont appear beside your name :\

I also still need to get the gold glider. Just 1k coins to go bleh. Do time trial coins count? I might do that next to get the gold wheels.

TheMoon

I finally did it!

Pretty neat. I get new title/menu screens and new credits. Too bad 3 stars dont appear beside your name :\

I also still need to get the gold glider. Just 1k coins to go bleh. Do time trial coins count? I might do that next to get the gold wheels.

I think coins are coins. Just look at your stats screen.

Still working my way through 200cc. Haven't found a good universal setup for it yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Local multiplayer options question: How do you get >4 players? If you have another Switch or Switches, can you just add them to a 4p game, or does every screen become restricted to 2P when you have multiple Switches? I can't quite puzzle out how to set things up right, but maybe it's just limited. Ideally I'd like to have 4P on TV and then just two other people each on separate Switches.

Jazzem

Local multiplayer options question: How do you get >4 players? If you have another Switch or Switches, can you just add them to a 4p game, or does every screen become restricted to 2P when you have multiple Switches? I can't quite puzzle out how to set things up right, but maybe it's just limited. Ideally I'd like to have 4P on TV and then just two other people each on separate Switches.

Every screen is limited to two players each, also you can only have two controllers connected in that mode so each player must use either a pro or a single joycon.

I finally did it!

Nice! I'm still working my way through 200, got half of them done.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Every screen comes limited to two players each, also you can only have two controllers connected in that mode so each player must use either a pro or a single joycon.
Damn yeah just figured this out. Ah well. Cool that they tried I guess and Wireless is still neat for planes.

TheMoon

Can you see the other players' items like in MK7?

No.

That wasn't in MK8 vanilla because the bottom screen is too far away to glance at during a race and it wasn't really in MK7 and it's not here either because there is no second screen you even could be looking at.

Unless you mean if you can see the items ON them. Then yes, of course. They physically hold whatever they have just like in I think every Kart since DD(?).

No.

That wasn't in MK8 vanilla because the bottom screen is too far away to glance at during a race and it wasn't really in MK7 and it's not here either because there is no second screen you even could be looking at.

Unless you mean if you can see the items ON them. Then yes, of course. They physically hold whatever they have just like in I think every Kart since DD(?).

I see. You're right, it does make sense since there's isn't a 2nd screen on the Switch, like you said.

What I meant was that in MK7, I could see players having a mushroom, bullet bills, blue shell, etc. So if I was in 1st place and saw someone with a blue shell on them that they haven't used yet, I would slow down to 2nd place to avoid it.

I hope I'm remembering things correctly here lol.

Xemnas89

Anyone else having problems getting the switch to connect to the internet today? It keeps telling me it can't connect and when I go to details it says the network may be busy and if the problem persists check other internet connected devices. Everything else works fine so is it a problem with my switch specifically or are others having the problem today too?

Edit: Well nevermind rebooting it seemed to fix the issue.

Jazzem

I see. You're right, it does make sense since there's isn't a 2nd screen on the Switch, like you said.

What I meant was that in MK7, I could see players having a mushroom, bullet bills, blue shell, etc. So if I was in 1st place and saw someone with a blue shell on them that they haven't used yet, I would slow down to 2nd place to avoid it.

Characters will hold whatever item they currently have in one of their hands, so you can use that as a cue to act accordingly. ie staying far away if they have a bomb :p

You can see blue shells traveling on the map, and if you get into second place before it gets close enough to lock onto you, the person in first will take the hit for you. You can also see stars and bullet bills (as well as people with Boos, kinda, since their characters disappear from the map).

Stopdoor

No.

They actually only added this back in with MK8, MK7 definitely doesn't show items being held other than dragged items.

Blue Shells appear on the minimap now, which can give enough time to react. I don't think that was a feature in the original version.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Every screen is limited to two players each, also you can only have two controllers connected in that mode so each player must use either a pro or a single joycon.
Just one follow up on this. I know you can play with up to eight switches but how do you actually got them together? I only see one and two player options under wireless and LAN play. Cat tested right now since we only have the two, but next week will have four so just wondering if there's anything special I need to do.

Firebrand

Anyone else having problems getting the switch to connect to the internet today? It keeps telling me it can't connect and when I go to details it says the network may be busy and if the problem persists check other internet connected devices. Everything else works fine so is it a problem with my switch specifically or are others having the problem today too?

I had some issues last night all across the system with player profiles failing to load etc, but figured it was just my network or ISP being wonky.

Characters will hold whatever item they currently have in one of their hands, so you can use that as a cue to act accordingly. ie staying far away if they have a bomb :p

Thanks, that sounds cool :p

You can see blue shells traveling on the map, and if you get into second place before it gets close enough to lock onto you, the person in first will take the hit for you. You can also see stars and bullet bills (as well as people with Boos, kinda, since their characters disappear from the map).

Blue Shells appear on the minimap now, which can give enough time to react. I don't think that was a feature in the original version.

Thanks, this is really useful.

Just quick random questions.

Does Mini Turbo have a cap or does it keep increasing all the way through 5.75?

Hoe much 8 imagery is in this game? Mario Circuit, Toad's Turnpike, Rainbow Road has three 8's, anything else?

Durden77

So for some reason my Switch is just not connecting to the Internet anymore. When I select the network on Internet settings it seems to connect fine, but when I run a connection test or do anything out of that it says failed.

Any advice? All my other devices work fine

So for some reason my Switch is just not connecting to the Internet anymore. When I select the network on Internet settings it seems to connect fine, but when I run a connection test or do anything out of that it says failed.

Any advice? All my other devices work fine

Hard reboot it. I had this issue recently, and holding power, and then pressing Turn Off on the power options, and turning it on fixed it.

Edit: Special Cup is just destroying me in 200cc, and I really don't want to use smart steering, as I want to improve at the mode. I've had zero issues until now, but even baby mario is sending me into the wall or off the cliff (fuck you rainbow road) with drift breaking. I avoid ramp boosts, but I'm still having issues. Any other tips? I have 5 other 200cc trophies, and I'm not sure I could go any easier on my build on baby mario, biddybuggy, rollers, and an accel glider.

mstevens

Woo finally done getting 3 stars in 150 and mirror.

Did the first cup in 200 cc and it's as wild as I expected. What's a good character/kart combo? I did Shy Guy with Biddybuggy and Crimson Slim wheels which seemed pretty good.

Croc

Banned
has anyone figured out any kind of fix or workaround for connection issues? Half the time I try to play I get errors about not being able to connect to another device or a device is accepting no more connections. It's even more annoying cause I have no issues just playing with random people online but as soon as I try to play with anyone specific it won't let me.

TheMoon

I had the same issue, interestingly. Also required a reboot. Was trying to play my first 2p online MK8D session and it suddenly wouldn't let me go online.

Anyone else getting serious connection errors today?

Yup, so not just me then. :) But only the general Switch internet connection problem (once). After the reboot, we played 25 races without any hiccups.

Firebrand

Anyone else just got dropped at the very end of Mute City?

I see item spinner lock / com errors so often at the end of tracks I wonder if it's the host closing down his Switch or something. Though, I have to say, relative global/regional matchmaking the GAF lobby connection is really solid, despite you people being on the wrong side of the world.

Top Bottom