• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

massoluk

Banned
Yeah, equipping new items is a pain. Just a comparison chart between current equipment and selected equipment would have make the game a thousand times better. This is ridiculous. How did the developer not think of this?

Yeah, equipping new items is a pain. Just a comparison chart between current equipment and selected equipment would have make the game a thousand times better. This is ridiculous. How did the developer not think of this?

Unfortunately, this game shows a large lack of polish in many areas. The core game play is still great, but the entire experience could of been so much more.

I think they really rushed this to market.

Unfortunately, this game shows a large lack of polish in many areas. The core game play is still great, but the entire experience could of been so much more.

I think they really rushed this to market.

That's about the gist of it really. And considering the fact that we only get one of these per system makes it all the more damning.

That's about the gist of it really. And considering the fact that we only get one of these per system makes it all the more damning.

I'm still enjoying it, but I'm extremely glad I didn't pay full price for this. There's no way it's worth $40, and considering it's a Mario title, it's unlikely to every really go down in price aside from a few small deals here and there.

And if this is going to be the only Mario Tennis game for 3DS, (and it probably will be) then that is really disappointing note to leave the series hanging on currently. Hopefully the inevitable Wii U installment will be a vast improvement.

I'm still enjoying it, but I'm extremely glad I didn't pay full price for this. There's no way it's worth $40, and considering it's a Mario title, it's unlikely to every really go down in price aside from a few small deals here and there.

And if this is going to be the only Mario Tennis game for 3DS, (and it probably will be) then that is really disappointing note to leave the series hanging on currently. Hopefully the inevitable Wii U installment will be a vast improvement.

Yeah! I sure am loving those real ground-up Mario Tennis and Mario Golf entries for Wii!

Oh wait. :'(

These are one instances where "inevitable" to me doesn't apply. :(

Anywho, I'm loving this so far, it really is Power Tennis 2, but without the power shots; you can literally jump from Power Tennis GC to this, it feels the same.

It can definitely get tough in the later cups, I am getting a hang on when to use certain shots.

Diddy's my main man, already cleared 5 cups and got him a star.

Odd that you can only earn coins in Special Games and not in the tournaments.

Yeah! I sure am loving those real ground-up Mario Tennis and Mario Golf entries for Wii!

Oh wait. :'(

These are one instances where "inevitable" to me doesn't apply. :(

Well, they definitely did cop out on the Wii version (the complete lack of Golf was surprising) but I doubt that will happen again. Mario sports/party games are like a license to print money and I'm sure the Wii U won't go without.

And they can only port the GC game so many times, right...?

:/

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm honestly really enjoying this game, but you only being able to gain coins from the Special Games is really stupid.
It kind of feels like a cheap way to add more replay value to the game, or make it appear that there's more content than there really is. In most games, these special modes would be tacked on, only to be played occasionally by most people; I couldn't see myself playing them often if you didn't need to to earn coins. Instead, they made it a core part of the game (if you care about unlockables), and it just feels weird.

Anyway, I'm liking this game so far; it might not be worth a full $40 (mostly due to the lack of polish), but it's still pretty good. The amount of content feels about the same as Mario Kart 7, which is my most-played 3DS game, mostly due to the multiplayer. The online in this, though, ugh; I don't think I have ever been destroyed so thoroughly in a game. I just cannot compete.

NFreak

I was absolutely awful when I started playing online as well but I've gotten the hang of things now. I usually compete with everyone and win most of my matches.

Regarding coins, really wish you got some from playing online. When I want an item I find myself grinding through ring challenge to get my required need.

Like others, enjoying the hell out of this, but there is definitely some lack of polish here and there that hurts the game just a bit.

Effect

Still annoyed/confused by the customization. Is there no point in mixing and matching outfits? Better to just equip an entire outfit in order to really get any significant benefit?

NFreak

Still annoyed/confused by the customization. Is there no point in mixing and matching outfits? Better to just equip an entire outfit in order to really get any significant benefit?

My best combination for me right now is with a bunch of items mixed and matched. I'm not sure how much better my Mii would be if I were using all items from the same character but I feel like what I have right now is pretty good.

Effect

Not being able to easily determine what each piece does and will do to your character is what is causing the confusion. Unless I'm missing something and there is a way? Haven't found anything in the manual yet.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Someone call the Nintendo Power Line and find out! ;)

Captain N

I am loving every second with this game! 12 hours and 3 minutes spent with the game up to now. I just need to unlock Luma and the rest of the Yoshi colors.

ryushe

The more time I sink into this game, the more I'm beginning to agree with the IGN's review.

It's a good game, but just so anemic in terms of content and has really odd design choices and I know once other, more desired 3DS games come out (Kingdom Hearts 3D, Thearhythm, Heroes of Ruin, Rhythm Thief, etc.) this won't get placed back into my 3DS, maybe ever. I think I might just trade this in to put credit towards Resistance: Burning Skies or Gravity Daze (I refuse to call it by any other name) or one of the aforementioned 3DS games, which is gonna be weird since this'll be the first 3DS game I've ever traded in... heck, I still own Steel Diver, which honestly, I secretly love.

I'll continue to play and see if I end up loving it... but I kind of doubt it.

Boken

Banned
So hopelessly on the fence with this game. I love love loved every Mario Tennis, even Power shots but all the talk of lacking content really scares me - the game is 59AUD over here. I never really liked the bonus modes a tonne in the other games either.

bluehat9

So no penalties for quitting and I don't get the coin at the end of the match? Everyone always quits when they play me on the sand court since its basically the only one that plays real differently and they must get annoyed at me playing that drop shot to death.

Also sucks that there's more Super Mario Tennis locked behind co-op play because I have no friends.

Randdalf

I don't really know what people want in terms of more content? More frameworks centered around what will be, at the end of the day, the same Mario Tennis gameplay? More mini-games?

schlew

Not being able to easily determine what each piece does and will do to your character is what is causing the confusion. Unless I'm missing something and there is a way? Haven't found anything in the manual yet.

Not sire what made Camelot decide to move over to circle graphs. Never had any problems in their other efforts.

I basically have to remember my current stats and then hover over the item to see what the improvements are (if there is any at all).

I can't wait for a better shirt though, the Browser shirt is Mega ugly.

Randdalf

Ever since I bought my Blooper racket (for 4200, which I got after trying to finish the piranha plant special game) I've been stomping through tournaments. Utterly decimated the Shell Cup after originally struggling in the Ice Flower Cup final. I even got my first ace against Bowser.

BooJoh

I'm not a big fan of sports games, but Mario Sports games usually have some draw for me. This one is pretty fun, and I love Mii customization so the single player isn't bad. I'm really enjoying the minigames too.

My only complaint is that some of the costumes have requirements I'm sure I'll never meet, like four or so variations on streetpass achievements. (I have 3 lifetime streetpasses. I don't get out much.)

zroid

Banned
The more time I sink into this game, the more I'm beginning to agree with the IGN's review.

It's a good game, but just so anemic in terms of content and has really odd design choices and I know once other, more desired 3DS games come out (Kingdom Hearts 3D, Thearhythm, Heroes of Ruin, Rhythm Thief, etc.) this won't get placed back into my 3DS, maybe ever. I think I might just trade this in to put credit towards Resistance: Burning Skies or Gravity Daze (I refuse to call it by any other name) or one of the aforementioned 3DS games, which is gonna be weird since this'll be the first 3DS game I've ever traded in... heck, I still own Steel Diver, which honestly, I secretly love.

I'll continue to play and see if I end up loving it... but I kind of doubt it.

I completely agree with most of the reviews. That said, the core gameplay is what I'm there for, so it's cool with me. It's probably easier for me to take in stride since I only paid 18 bucks for the game. Canada lucked out on this one.

BowieZ

Banned
Why does everyone else online get a plethora of power shot circles but I rarely get more than one or two a match? Is my first serve or return THAT poor?

I think if this was a digital download I'd bite. Online games would benefit to not having to have your card on you to have a few quick games, too.

This game has a real knack for making me face the same person over and over again in cup finals

Peach in Mush Cup
Bowser in Champs Cup

And the fact you don't face secret characters in cups is stupid as well

NFreak

So no penalties for quitting and I don't get the coin at the end of the match? Everyone always quits when they play me on the sand court since its basically the only one that plays real differently and they must get annoyed at me playing that drop shot to death.

Also sucks that there's more Super Mario Tennis locked behind co-op play because I have no friends.

By coins do you mean the points you get at the end of each match? I get a few points every time someone disconnects mid-match. I think you get more the larger your lead is when the opponent quits.

By coins do you mean the points you get at the end of each match? I get a few points every time someone disconnects mid-match. I think you get more the larger your lead is when the opponent quits.
No, I believe bluehat is referring to the Victory Medal you get when you defeat someone online.

ryushe

I think if this was a digital download I'd bite. Online games would benefit to not having to have your card on you to have a few quick games, too.
I would re-buy this game in a heartbeat if I could get it digital. As much fun as I'm having with it, I'm just finding it hard to justify its place inside of my 3DS, especially if that means I have to remove Kid Icarus because of which.

massoluk

Banned
I must be doing something right, a lot people are ragequitting on me. Or wrong, since I've been stuck on around 2050-2150 forever. Boo racket feels almost like cheating with the bending serve. Ace like 1 out of 3 online.

Just popped the game in for the first time. Absolutely love it.

My first smash ace threw me in a time machine set for 2001.

88 MILES AN HOUR, MARIO

clemenx

Banned
The yellow Yoshi moves funny xD It's weird having a power character who isn't huge.

Btw what's the reason for all these Yoshi's?

Oh and any tips for the Ring minigame? I feel like I'm gonna have to live without baby Peach :( I really don't like that game.

depward

I didn't like this at all. Got it and got rid of it already. What I didn't like:

1) Unlock / shop system. Playing through tourneys unlocks gear but doesn't earn me coins? I have to play ONLY mini games to earn them?

2) Never had a smooth game experience online.

3) Really thin on content.

4) Thought the 3D effect was very underwhelming.

All in all, just very disappointed with the effort that was seemingly put into this game. The core tennis gameplay actually was ok; everything else wasn't.

Oh and any tips for the Ring minigame? I feel like I'm gonna have to live without baby Peach :( I really don't like that game.

Use a Technique character on the Peach's Palace court. Playing close to the net is a good strategy too, since your "opponent" will always hit the ball right back at you. (This way you can get the most rallies in as possible.)

BooJoh

The yellow Yoshi moves funny xD It's weird having a power character who isn't huge.

Btw what's the reason for all these Yoshi's?

I used a court where the ball speed is "fastest" and try to get multiple rings at a time for combos. This means if you have two rings on one side and one on the other, if you get the lone ring then it might respawn by the other two, allowing a 3 ring combo. Try not to let them get too big though or their value goes down. Also make sure you take care of the high rings asap because they won't usually be good for combos and your opponent won't usually hit them.

Jintor

Man, fuck the Galaxy arena. Not only does can the sand and black hole course changes fuck you over (sometimes they can fuck you over while the ball is in mid-air and you don't get enough time to compensate), the fucking court changing over can BLIND you. My AI partner being a complete goddamn idiot isn't helping either.

i find it baffling that tennis games still have singleplayer content that involves doubles.

Easily the worst part of all virtua tennis, mario tennis, hot shots tennis. Losing points because your AI homie gets service aced is not fun.

i find it baffling that tennis games still have singleplayer content that involves doubles.

Easily the worst part of all virtua tennis, mario tennis, hot shots tennis. Losing points because your AI homie gets service aced is not fun.
Yeah I find doubles way way harder than being by myself.

Top Bottom