• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

Randdalf

I'm halfway through unlocking every star character now, still haven't unlocked Luma though. I always mess up Galaxy Rally around shot 40/41 and never recover.

I'm halfway through unlocking every star character now, still haven't unlocked Luma though. I always mess up Galaxy Rally around shot 40/41 and never recover.

What exactly are the issues you're having? Is it when the it's only the 2 front court panels?

The most important tip I can give for Galaxy Rally is to have a firm handle on drop shots. It really makes all the difference. Using a technique character can help a lot too, since they don't overpower their shots and are adept at all the different styles. (I'd suggest going with Peach, she's got good movement on the court.)

I just picked up this game finally. I'm really surprised at the negativity and low scores it has gotten.

It's got that "just one more time" thing that Mario Kart has going for it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
What exactly are the issues you're having? Is it when the it's only the 2 front court panels?

The most important tip I can give for Galaxy Rally is to have a firm handle on drop shots. It really makes all the difference. Using a technique character can help a lot too, since they don't overpower their shots and are adept at all the different styles. (I'd suggest going with Peach, she's got good movement on the court.)
luma thing is hard. I've got a better handle on drop shots now, but still screw up on the march to 100, however, sometimes the shots for the back court start falling short. I don't know how to make my regular shots 'go long' on purpose sometimes.

I've changed from 'this game is OK' to this game is very very good. got 3 star characters so far, haven't done a star tournament yet.

Played online a couple times. jesus, the people just know how to serve and the lag is quite... horrible.

luma thing is hard. I've got a better handle on drop shots now, but still screw up on the march to 100, however, sometimes the shots for the back court start falling short. I don't know how to make my regular shots 'go long' on purpose sometimes.
Use flat shots (Y) for everything besides drop shots. They won't fall short.

Why the eff aren't unlocks used as computer characters in tournament?

This is my biggest complaint with the game.
Yeah, that's (another) pretty lame oversight. It's really boring facing the same opponents over and over again.

I wonder how big the "region" is? I'm online right now and its taking an average of 10 minutes before I'm matched up with an opponent and I'm in the USA. Granted, it's 1:40am-4:40am in america at this time but still...

zroid

Banned
BLACK

bah, my canadianness will not aid me in the hunt for this QR code. oh well, i'm sure someone will post it online eventually.

clemenx

Banned
Can you set the difficulty of the cpu characters when playing Local Multi coop doubles? I don't see an option.

I'm not sure what difficulty they are, from playing a couple of games with my friend. I don't think they're on Ace which is what we want :(

Randdalf

Yeah, sometimes I just drop shot and it totally doesn't do it.

Finally got all the online related costumes. Thank goodness that's over with.

Patching this would make the game last a bit longer, imo.
A lot of things need to be patched, like not getting medals if someone purposely disconnects, the lack on online doubles, separate modes for online matches (no miis for example), lack on communities, poor roster selection, the option to turn off chance shots, etc. (Not to mention the lack of any solid single player content outside of Tournament mode.)

It's such a shame how much of a rush job this game is, because the core gameplay is so fun. [/broken record]

Captain N

I put the game in my system and put it in my sons too. Now I can play street pass matches on both systems. Once you keep winning and get a win streak going you become an Ace player. So hard to get wins now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i've been missing out on these character things. how does it work for euro people?

having fun with the game, got 10 star characters now and did all the unlocks for the minigames.

is there any unlockables from the 'challenge' mode on the mini games?

i've been missing out on these character things. how does it work for euro people?

having fun with the game, got 10 star characters now and did all the unlocks for the minigames.

is there any unlockables from the 'challenge' mode on the mini games?
QR codes are released through Nintendo and are usually posted on the main Mario Tennis Open page for each region, though some are through cross promotion with other web sites and stores. I think Europe has the least amount of QR codes released currently.

You can unlock more costumes in the Challenge modes of the mini-games. There is a full list of all the requirements for each costume here.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
QR codes are released through Nintendo and are usually posted on the main Mario Tennis Open page for each region, though some are through cross promotion with other web sites and stores. I think Europe has the least amount of QR codes released currently.

You can unlock more costumes in the Challenge modes of the mini-games. There is a full list of all the requirements for each costume here.

thanks.

seems only a yoshi costume for the eu version. what a bullshit.

EDIT: unless you go to a store in the UK...

seems only a yoshi costume for the eu version. what a bullshit.

EDIT: unless you go to a store in the UK...
This site has been posting the QR codes for all the regions. Seems White, Black and Blue Yoshi are all available for PAL players too.

North America is still waiting on White, and that's the one I want the most.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Metal Mario QR code from the latest European Nintendo Direct.

fOfME.png

zroid

Banned
I'm really impressed with the local multiplayer. It might be the most robust Download Play game I've seen.

Super Mario Tennis is a blast with 2p

Meier

What a disappointing game. :( Technically, it's fucking gorgeous.. some of the best graphics I've seen on a handheld. The mini games are decent enough themselves (the Mario Bros. one is particularly cool and impressive in terms of the emulation)... but the progression of the single player is just atrocious. I will never understand the decision to not provide coins for winning tournaments.

It just felt too repetitive. I think the removal of the RPG functionality coupled with the fact the coins aren't more streamlined makes this less functional as a handheld title.

PKrockin

What a disappointing game. :( Technically, it's fucking gorgeous.. some of the best graphics I've seen on a handheld. The mini games are decent enough themselves (the Mario Bros. one is particularly cool and impressive in terms of the emulation)... but the progression of the single player is just atrocious. I will never understand the decision to not provide coins for winning tournaments.

It just felt too repetitive. I think the removal of the RPG functionality coupled with the fact the coins aren't more streamlined makes this less functional as a handheld title.

I rented this recently and I can't say I'm disappointed--I'd suspected this game was rushed--but I assumed there would be a quirky CG opening/ending. They really added some life into the games and without them this game feels a bit hollow to me.

BooJoh

This was my first Mario Tennis game since the VB version. All the different shot types are still a little confusing for me, as I'm not a tennis enthusiast at all, but the game is fun if a bit light on content. It almost feels like it should've been a budget title for $10-15 on the eShop. Also it has some of the weakest 3D effects in any 3DS game I've played. Pretty much anytime you're not watching the purple smash shot (which I skip every time now) you can barely tell the game is in 3D.

Also I will almost certainly never get any of the streetpass costume unlocks unless I get another 3DS and streetpass myself.

bluehat9

Sucks I'll never be able to get all the costumes since I doubt I'll play the multiplayer locally. they could have at least made them unlockable with an insane amount of coins or something. Oh well.

US site finally acknowledges White Yoshi and includes this clue

Are you playing with power? If so, a clue to finding the White Yoshi might arrive right on your doorstep—or at a certain type of store near you.

So next Nintendo Power issue will have the QR code

I got it almost a week ago and I'm hooked, but yeah, I can't see myself playing for too much longer.

All the costumes I'm missing either require grinding (50000 coins / buy 100 items), Streetpass (I have got 3 streetpass' EVER, so I'm never getting this ones), local multiplayer (may get them when I buy an XL in the distant future, if the minigames can even be played on Download Play) or online.

It sucks the progression is so screwed. Contrast it to Mario Kart 7, where you got coins for every mode (except Time Trial) and StreetPass wasn't required, and it looks even worse. Weird Nintendo didn't correct Camelot.

I can't seem to find online players often. Usually get paired against the same player over and over. And there's lag on most matches, but I guess that's normal if I'm playing people in the US/Canada.

The game is still worth the ~$30 I paid for it, but I would only recommend it for <$20 if you're not a series fan.

Just got this today and after playing the Mushroom cup and dabbling online for a second (and getting my ass handed to me) I can tell I may actually have to open the manuel.

I'm not really getting it too quickly......run into the colored circles and press the corresponding button....I'll read through this thread a little later.

Top Bottom