• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Tennis Open |OT| Mario's dusting off the rackets and taking his game online

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up as one, a few months from now

this would surprise me greatly, since nintendo would pretty much never do that.

Game is fun, will echo the content complaints though. I've only beaten 2 tournaments, but it feels like a missed opportunity somehow with the content.

hope they hear the feedback and then make a killer mario golf. waiting for that BAD.

Randdalf

I've completed all the Singles tournaments as my Mii and beat an Ace difficulty AI in Exhibition. I guess now I've got to complete World Open as Wario to get him to star level (my doubles partner I've decided), then beat doubles and then unlock the rest of the characters I haven't in the special games. I'm not struggling for lack of content... yet.

StayDead

This arrived today, loving it so far, but obviously I've only just started.

Went with Luigi to start with as he's always been my character, but will probably try out the Mii next. The tennis seems really solid, although I seem to be finding it harder in this to do a lob from any shot other than the gold cheep cheep thing. Other than that, I see this is going to be really awesome in Multiplayer.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm facing the 8th cup in single mode with Black Yoshi. I'm really enjoiyng it and it's not so easy as it could seem at the beginning. I think that the gameplay is really really well done

Bumhead

Banned
The rings mini-game is twisting my mellon quite a lot. Can't seem to get the 500 points inside 3 minutes. Came close with a 498 (Ghaaa!) but can't hit 500.

The ring game is especially annoying when Luigi turns into a dipshit on returns. I had a game yesterday where he hit the net 3 times, leaving the ball to limply drop onto my half and having to re-serve the ball. Costs you a good 3-5 seconds which is vital when aiming for those scores.

magiustra

The rings mini-game is twisting my mellon quite a lot. Can't seem to get the 500 points inside 3 minutes. Came close with a 498 (Ghaaa!) but can't hit 500.

The ring game is especially annoying when Luigi turns into a dipshit on returns. I had a game yesterday where he hit the net 3 times, leaving the ball to limply drop onto my half and having to re-serve the ball. Costs you a good 3-5 seconds which is vital when aiming for those scores.

Play it on a fast court and staying near the net: you'll do great :)

Symphonic

GAF gonna run a tourney? I'm itching to play against some people who know what they're doing, I keep getting paired with rank 1600 people despite being at 2200.

Jintor

This game makes me so goddamn angry and I can't really comprehend why.

Fuck your customised Miis and their rackets of serving doom. I can't compete with 240km/h + lag. Fuck you.

StayDead

So the gist is gameplay is mario tennis solid. Everything else is awful?

It's not awful, it's just loads of people are complaining about the lack of an RPG mode.

This is more a console Mario Tennis on a handheld with online. The gameplay is solid so I don't see what people can complain about.

bluehat9

Finished all the special game costume challenges and then grinded another 10k coins to get 50k in my bank...addicting and aggravating stuff.

Still wish there was an option, even if it was just in exhibition matches, to play without powered up shots, but I've gotten used to them and this is definitely my most played game of the year already.

Still haven't gotten a streetpass from anyone else who has it.

BowieZ

Banned
So I've just ruined my special Super Mushroom 3DS in a spirited online game of Mario tennis.

I pressed and held down too hard on the touch screen buttons and it caused some weird glitchy leak of colors everywhere.

I'm not sure if it comes with any warranty.

What should I do?

:(

1Nf7s.jpg

This game makes me so goddamn angry and I can't really comprehend why.

Fuck your customised Miis and their rackets of serving doom. I can't compete with 240km/h + lag. Fuck you.
People always complain about how games like Call of Duty create an un-level playing field with all of the unlocks and everything but I honestly think this game is much worse. You might as well not even go online unless you have some pretty great equipment.

So I've just ruined my special Super Mushroom 3DS in a spirited online game of Mario tennis.

I pressed and held down too hard on the touch screen buttons and it caused some weird glitchy leak of colors everywhere.

What should I do?

1Nf7s.jpg

o_O Whoa. I hope you can get Nintendo to fix that, try customer service, or their email and send them the pic.

Also, I hope there are real new characters via QR codes, new colored Yoshis are nice and all, but how about REAL new characters? Dixie Kong please?

zroid

Banned
this would surprise me greatly, since nintendo would pretty much never do that.

why wouldn't they? retail at digital is already happening with future titles, why not dig into their back-catalogue a bit as well?

What should I do?

http://i.imgur.com/1Nf7s.jpg?1[IMG][/QUOTE]

Well, shit. T_T

clemenx

Banned
People always complain about how games like Call of Duty create an un-level playing field with all of the unlocks and everything but I honestly think this game is much worse. You might as well not even go online unless you have some pretty great equipment.

Agreed, some of the Mii outfit combinations are pure bullshit.

I've been lucky on online though, haven't encountered any crazy shit.

I wish stuff unlocked via streetpass had an alternative way to do it (I say this for every game) not all of us live on big cities/countries T_T

StayDead

Is the online of this IP locked? I can't seem to join any games on my imported 3DS and I'm sure they never mentioned that the friends would be region locked either. It's really annoying since I mainly got this for the multiplayer thinking I'd still be able to do open games in my region, but I can't seem to get any games what so ever.

Any other importers with experiences? I've seen people mention playing with friends cross region, but I've also seen people mentioning no cross region play. I'm so confused ><

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've played 5 hours so far - in singler mode only - and it's fantastic. I love the progression, the need to go through special events, earn coins and buy equipment, to progress in tournaments. You feel your abilities progress as you play, and the sense of achievement is perfect.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

zroid

Banned
Playing Mario Tennis; watching French Open. Life is good.

I just unlocked Super Star uniform, so badass.

I still can't nail the 100-hit Galaxy Rally, strangely. It's not difficult at all. It always happens when I need to do drop shots, though. The inputs aren't always read and they're slices or top spin shots. :(

I just want coins, damn it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Did they really make it so that you can just hit X to do the chance shots instead of pressing the actual button/combination? Since I don't want to use the touch screen, I took me a bit of time to learn the correct button/color combinations (and I still get lob and drop shot confused), but then I realized you can just use X and it doesn't even seem to make a difference. It's totally easy mode.

Has anyone actually StreetPassed anyone with this game? I'm not holding out hope for that ever happen, honestly... I don't get a whole lot of tags and I don't think this game will be a huge seller.

BooJoh

Did they really make it so that you can just hit X to do the chance shots instead of pressing the actual button/combination? Since I don't want to use the touch screen, I took me a bit of time to learn the correct button/color combinations (and I still get lob and drop shot confused), but then I realized you can just use X and it doesn't even seem to make a difference. It's totally easy mode.

X shots are weaker than using the proper buttons.

Has anyone actually StreetPassed anyone with this game? I'm not holding out hope for that ever happen, honestly... I don't get a whole lot of tags and I don't think this game will be a huge seller.

I've met 2 people so far. My best bet would be to go to Nintendo World and try my luck.

I would like to get the streetpass costumes but ever since I started using Luigi online, I realized I don't really need them.

The game is fun but the rating system annoys me.

Still hoping Toad is a QR character...

zroid

Banned
I still can't nail the 100-hit Galaxy Rally, strangely. It's not difficult at all. It always happens when I need to do drop shots, though. The inputs aren't always read and they're slices or top spin shots. :(

I just want coins, damn it.

Yeaaah, I kind of suck at Galaxy Rally. I'm getting better though. I finally unlocked Luma last night.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
X shots are weaker than using the proper buttons.
Thanks. I was hoping there was some sort of advantage to using the actual buttons correctly.

GcRayden

Does anyone know how to turn off gyro controls on Download Play as the person without the game? My wife and I can't figure out how to turn off her gyro controls because she doesn't have a copy and they don't allow you to go into the menu on download play. :(

Spike

Does anyone know how to turn off gyro controls on Download Play as the person without the game? My wife and I can't figure out how to turn off her gyro controls because she doesn't have a copy and they don't allow you to go into the menu on download play. :(

You cannot disable it. :(

Randdalf

I played some online yesterday for the first time, I think my kit was:
- Blooper Racket (4200)
- Boo Trainers (950)
- Fire Flower Kit (900)
- Luma Wristbands (1450)

I won 5/7 of the games. The last 3 were all against the same guy, I lost the first one on a tiebreak, won the second on a tiebreak and broke him to win 3-1. I have to say the serve from this kit combination is ridiculous (probably mainly the Blooper Racket), when I'm serving from the right, I just slice it all the way to the left and get an ace 90% of the time against humans, 100% when I get perfect timing. This game plays much better online than offline in some respects, I enjoy faking out opponents with my server by going the other way when they're clearly trying to stop my mega left serve.

Also, I really hate the ice court, I never seem to do very well on it.

Still have yet to unlock Luma, but I've done the rest of the special games and have 5400 coins in the bank. Is there some higher tier of kit I have yet to unlock? Since I haven't really encountered any very expensive items other than my wristbands and racket.

clemenx

Banned
Anyone having issues with matchmaking? I just had the same dude 3 times in a row (he disconnected now after I beat him twice, lol) But sometimes this game can take a while finding opponents :/ Wish it was as smooth as Mario Kart.

The actual gameplay is fine though. Rocking the Yellow Yoshi :D

Lakitu Trainers are the most unbalanced item I've ever used. GOTTA GO FAST.
LOL just bought those after seeing your post. That's hilarious.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gameplay is great, but I now see what reviewers meant with the lack of content. I didn't miss an RPG mode as long as I thought tournaments were in great numbers. They are not. I wanted to play countless tournaments with my Mii, and I reached the last one in 5 hours and a half. It seems I now have to repeat the game with other Nintendo characters, which is fine... except 1st tournaments are too easy, and thus boring. Too bad as I really enjoyed the difficulty progression playing with my Mii. I guess I will now mostly play online.

clemenx

Banned
Ahh fucking finally beat an Ace Star character, it's amazing how the star adds like 2 levels of difficulty >_> I love that they don't feel broken at all (imo) Camelot really nailed it there.

Did it using a broken Mii, though D: I need to improve with a regular character.

zroid

Banned
haha, I had just let my cousin play my copy of MTO in his 3DS, and we ended up streetpassing. So I got to face off against my own Mii :p

that was fun. wiped the floor with his A.I. controlled butt xD

I can go barely one or two matches against randoms before encountering someone with the worst connection on the planet.

Liking the single player end of things, but the inconsistency with latencies and such makes online multiplayer an absolute frustration.

No enjoyment whatsoever to be found outside of single player tournaments and mini-games, but I have yet to try local multiplayer. Hopefully that'll be the saving grace that brings me back to the days of Hot Shots Tennis bliss with my old PSP group.

(Yeah, I had a "PSP group". I'm that kind of lame.)

Sinthetic

Local MP is so much fun compared to online.

It really sucks that you can only do singles and doubles matches against friends. On local you can do all of the special games and there is extra content for each of the games.

Missed opportunity.

Finally beat a star character on Ace mode
(baby peach but still...)

Beating an Ace character seemed to be much harder in this game than MPT. I imagine the devs put the AI about as high as it will go on Ace mode and the characters difficulty just gets to be better and better as each mario tennis game comes out.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
how am I supposed to play my one friend online that's got this game? I create a room and then..... ?

too weird.

also, the button combos for the chance shots are a bitch, because the touch screen doesn't even match up with the button layout, so if you play in the dark and don't remember the button locations etc....

extralite

Is the online of this IP locked? I can't seem to join any games on my imported 3DS and I'm sure they never mentioned that the friends would be region locked either. It's really annoying since I mainly got this for the multiplayer thinking I'd still be able to do open games in my region, but I can't seem to get any games what so ever.

Any other importers with experiences? I've seen people mention playing with friends cross region, but I've also seen people mentioning no cross region play. I'm so confused ><

Same problem here. I am able to play with my Japanese friend, a bit laggy but still kinda okay. But I can't find a random partner at all, even waiting for 5~10 minutes.

We should probably exchange friend codes, lol. At least one more player to play online with.

Jintor

I can't believe the comparison between the item you're wearing and the item you might want to buy is completely missing. What the hell, Camelot.

also, the button combos for the chance shots are a bitch, because the touch screen doesn't even match up with the button layout, so if you play in the dark and don't remember the button locations etc....

Internalise colour/face-button combos stat, man.

zroid

Banned
has anyone found the Light Blue Yoshi QR code yet? >_>

I can't see it on toysrus.com so I have to assume they've been put on display in-store? I'd go myself but without confirmation that Canadian stores are participating, don't wanna make a wasted trip :(

Top Bottom