• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Digital Graphic Novel Sale at Amazon

Fury451

Banned
HALLELUJAH

IT'S OVER

IT'S OVER

And a silent peace fell upon my wallet.

I went to bed wondering what else I could get and now it's over. Bummer.

But technically, Kindle's Marvel prices are still about 50% off of ComiXology, so it's not too bad.

Yeah, it seems that the discount prices are still in play on quite a few books, though the past three days or so had significantly better deals, the ones on offer now really aren't bad either and still seem lower than what you would get from a standard comixology sale

I'm unsure what to think. The most likely is that if this were a pricing error it would have been corrected ASAP.

But on the other hand, it feels like the error might have been stacking discounts. It appears everything was 50-60% off and then knocked 50-60% off again. Maybe thanks to Amazon and Comixology discounts not always being synced up - Comixology intended to run their standard ~50% discount but that might have unintentionally stacked with an Amazon discount.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. It was likely some kind of error but Amazon saw all the new customers flowing into comixology, which is worth more than Gold to them. People buying Kindles probably didn't hurt either.

I'm not going to lie, I started looking in to getting a Kindle HD purely because of this sale until I remembered I had a cheap tablet laying around somewhere.

Sesha

Bah, I missed it. I couldn't decide on what to get, and didn't remember what volumes of runs I had started that I was missing. One more reason for Marvel to not revisit the Kyle/Yost New X-Men line-up, I guess.

SFenton

Well, kind of glad I missed it then. :)

But for future reference, how would I read these on a Windows tablet? There's no Kindle app or Comixology app- are there desktop clients for those that I can download to and use?

Fury451

Banned
One of my all time faves!

Tom King is an amazing author, you should check out Omega Men (same length as Vision) and his current run or Batman is stellar.

Omega Men was astoundingly good. Vision too, as well as Sheriff of Babylon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Holy shit that Pleasant Hill comic surprised the fuck out of me.

39 Pages in spoiler

They were making you think Jim was Steve Rogers and the other guy was Tony Stark, but it was Baron Zemo and The Fixer.

I did not see that coming.

One of my all time faves!

Tom King is an amazing author, you should check out Omega Men (same length as Vision) and his current run or Batman is stellar.
Is Omega men it's own series or part of another character's universe? Don't think I've heard of that comic. I'll look at that and sheriff though if they're that good though.

It's probably been asked, but how's the new Jessica Jones? I loved the original Alias. The Pulse was...decent but not really. I see the first trade of the new series is part of the sale.

Fury451

Banned
Is Omega men it's own series or part of another character's universe? Don't think I've heard of that comic. I'll look at that and sheriff though if they're that good though.

It's a contained book. I wouldn't want to give too much away about who's in it because it would kind of ruin something

TheFlow

Banned
Holy shit that Pleasant Hill comic surprised the fuck out of me.

39 Pages in spoiler

They were making you think Jim was Steve Rogers and the other guy was Tony Stark, but it was Baron Zemo and The Fixer.

I did not see that coming.

you are the first I have seen come up with that theory, before the reveal.
why would it be cap lol. makes no sense.

It's probably been asked, but how's the new Jessica Jones? I loved the original Alias. The Pulse was...decent but not really. I see the first trade of the new series is part of the sale.
almost as good as the first run. Same writer, so if you enjoyed alias you will enjoy this. Though this one mentions a lot of in universe events.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

But for future reference, how would I read these on a Windows tablet? There's no Kindle app or Comixology app- are there desktop clients for those that I can download to and use?

I just use the viewer on the Comixology website. It works well enough but doesn't have the Guided View, if that's important to you.

Gattsu25

Banned

Comixology lets you read comics on their website.

I guess I can post my haul. It was considerably smaller than everyone else's.

Venom: Space Knight Vol. 1 & 2,
Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos,
Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt,
Spider-Gwen Vol 0,
Spider-man/Deadpool Vol 1,
Secret Wars,
Gwenpool Vol. 1 & 2.

I just realized how Spidey heavy my picks were.

almost as good as the first run. Same writer, so if you enjoyed alias you will enjoy this. Though this one mentions a lot of in universe events.

Yeah, I knew it was Bendis, but there was a pretty sharp drop between original Alias and Pulse when it went from MAX to proper so I wasn't sure which it was more like. I'll pick it up then. Alias was excellent

DeathPeak

Linking comixology and Amazon means if I buy something off comixology, it'll show up on Amazon too right? It works the other way around, so I assume this way as well.

I just use the viewer on the Comixology website. It works well enough but doesn't have the Guided View, if that's important to you.

No, the reader on Comixology's website does have Guided View as a feature.

Linking comixology and Amazon means if I buy something off comixology, it'll show up on Amazon too right? It works the other way around, so I assume this way as well.

Unfortunate not yet. Their site states that they're working on it, but currently only your amazon purchases will transfer to Comixology.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
No, the reader on Comixology's website does have Guided View as a feature.

Interesting, GV appears on laptop now but wasn't coming up on my Surface tablet last time I looked. I'll have to check it out later. That would be great to at least have the option.

Xis

Unfortunate not yet. Their site states that they're working on it, but currently only your amazon purchases will transfer to Comixology.

Is there any reason you would want this? In my experience the Kindle app reading experience is much worse than the ComiXology app.

sfedai0

Banned
Is there any reason you would want this? In my experience the Kindle app reading experience is much worse than the ComiXology app.

Care to elaborate? Ive only used Kindale so far and its been fine. What makes Comixology app that much better?

J_Viper

Anyone know if the current prices are still sale prices, or these are the usual Kindle discount?

Of course they're not as low as they were previously, but there's some solid discounts here

Xis

Care to elaborate? Ive only used Kindale so far and its been fine. What makes Comixology app that much better?

I used the Kindle app a lot before they merged the two systems. I ran into problems with comics having missing or garbled text, or books were sometimes incomplete. The guided view was also not as good. This was years ago now so it may be better now.

Fury451

Banned
Anyone know if the current prices are still sale prices, or these are the usual Kindle discount?

Of course they're not as low as they were previously, but there's some solid discounts here

They seem to be actual discounts here, but it may depend on what you're looking at.

DeathPeak

Maybe it depends on the device (I'm using an iPad mini), but I tried both and the Kindle app seemed to be more responsive and I like the layout more.

3rdEdge

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in the thread who recommended The Vision - all the praise for it (and the cheap price of course) led me to snag both volumes during the sale. I just finished the series and I've got to say, it definitely lived up to the hype! Excellent comic.

J_Viper

They seem to be actual discounts here, but it may depend on what you're looking at.

Yeah, I figure anything below a 50% discount might still be temporary, so I picked a few more things I missed just in case

Or maybe I just like tapping that one-click....

Ptaaty

I am loving Punisher Max. Makes sense as I loved Ennis's work in Preacher.

The Mother Russia sequence - so awesome. I can't believe how much fun I had reading it...just finished this story and was pretty much giddy, like a little kid, as I tried to explain to my wife what happened.

I'm 40. Thankfully she referred to it as "a graphic novel" that "I seem to be enjoying".

J_Viper

Hahah I was looking at those today. So they are good for comic reading??

So mine arrived today, and it's solid. It certainly does the job for comics, but I can't help but feel there's a slight "fuzziness" to the screen.

That could be me coming off a 1440p monitor on my computer though, my eyes probably need to adjust to the lower res. PC games have ruined me lol

For the price though, it's top notch.

However, I ended up giving it to my mom though since she wanted one a Kindle. I bought an iPad 2017 on sale since that has a sharper screen and access to more apps.

Raguel

I am loving Punisher Max. Makes sense as I loved Ennis's work in Preacher.

The Mother Russia sequence - so awesome. I can't believe how much fun I had reading it...just finished this story and was pretty much giddy, like a little kid, as I tried to explain to my wife what happened.

I'm 40. Thankfully she referred to it as "a graphic novel" that "I seem to be enjoying".
Ennis's whole run on Punisher is amazing. One of my favorites. It doesn't paint Castle as anything other than a monster. Doesn't glorify him and Ennis goes out of his way to let the readers know that Castle's method doesn't solve anything and it's not to be envied. Regardless, can't wait till you read my favorite run, "The Slavers." It's heart breaking, brutal, and Frank just goes berserk.

so what's the best mobile app to read these on? I've been sticking with Kindle because I like the collection feature and ability to sort, Comixology doesn't seem to have that unless I missed it.

so what's the best mobile app to read these on? I've been sticking with Kindle because I like the collection feature and ability to sort, Comixology doesn't seem to have that unless I missed it.

Depends on what you mean?

You can sort by series, date added and book title in the Comixology apps. In terms of lists, you are confined to the smart lists that Comixology provides.

Killua

No impressions on Squirrel Girl?

You know, at first, I was a bit iffy about getting Squirrel Girl. But I finished Vol. 1 and I really enjoyed it a lot. I also bought volume 2 and I'm interested in getting the other volumes in the future.

Bernbaum

This sale seemed to indicate that a few titles are cheaper pre-discount on Amazon than comiXology. Will definitely check and compare prices from now on.

Dalek

You know, at first, I was a bit iffy about getting Squirrel Girl. But I finished Vol. 1 and I really enjoyed it a lot. I also bought volume 2 and I'm interested in getting the other volumes in the future.

SG beats up the Marvel Universe is the greatest.

Mafro

This sale seemed to indicate that a few titles are cheaper pre-discount on Amazon than comiXology. Will definitely check and compare prices from now on.
Yeah just noticed this too, makes the Comixology Marvel sales look a bit sneaky. A lot of the trades I've been looking at are still up to half price cheaper on Amazon than Comixology directly.

The four volumes of Priest's Black Panther Complete Collections are £10 cheaper (!)
Thor: Godess of Thunder £3.50 vs £5
Hickman's Fantastic Four volumes are still crazy cheap in comparison too

It's always worth comparing the two before making a purchase. Typically, I remember some DC Rebirth trades being noticeably cheaper on Amazon.

For some books, it's like this sale never ended. I was just checking out how much Astonishing X-Men and New X-Men are, and some volumes are under £1.50. Pretty sure I saw a JMS Spidey book for 99p.

Top Bottom