• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

Mihos

Gold Member
Aside from Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV is quickly becoming a dumpster fire. Literally the only saving grace has been that they're filming in New York City. Iron Fist and The Defenders were on some sub-CW levels of budget squeezing. Even something like Legends of Tomorrow can afford costumes for extras and effects shots.

Inhumans looks like more of the same "fast & cheap" stuff they've been churning out recently.

Legion is fantastic also

Blader

I wouldn't be surprised if they declare all the TV series to be non-canon at some point in the future.

I doubt they'd ever go out of their way to explicitly declare something as NON-CANON (who would that announcement be for anyway?). They'll probably just keep on doing what they're doing already, which is basically ignore anything that's happening in TV realm while teasing maybe someday, somehow, there will be some kind of crossover even though there never will.

Wag

Does Moviepass work for LieMAX movies? (I don't know, I only have a real IMAX theater with one 8-story screen nearby). If so that might bump up the attendance a bit.

Cuburt

nMNQ3gu.gif

To be fair, the editing make this moment see a bit stupider than it really is.

Ok so I asked my friend, who had seen this, what the dumbest moment of the pilot was and here it is:

Maximus taunts Black Bolt with the fact that BB had killed their parents and immediately after he says this, we get a flashback of young Black Bolt playing with some toys next to his parents. Completely unprovoked and out of nowhere, Black Bolt just screams,

"WHY?"

And his parents both blow up. No explanation given as to why this happens, why Black Bolt yelled it, or what he was thinking.

This part really was as dumb as it sounds.

SArcher

Banned
The problem is trying to make the Inhumans the X-Men isn't true to the source material. These characters are not comparable to the X-Men at all.

I kind of feel that this narrative of Marvel turning the Inhumans into X-Men does not have a basis in reality. Did Marvel ease up on supporting X-Men in comics? Yes. Did Marvel make a considerable push for the Inhumans? Also yes. But I think details matter.

Basically, up until 2013 the Inhumans were largely isolated form the rest of Earth's inhabitants. Conflicts mostly arose between the Inhumans themselves. Then Attilan blew up and Terrigen was released across the globe revealing all the descendants of ancient Inhumans. So this is similar to X-Men in that we have people suddenly discovering they have superpowers etc. But this is where the similarities end when we actually look at the Inhumans and X-Men books being published. The Inhumans titles have largely still been about the inner workings and politics of the Inhumans society and how it now clashes and mixes with the outside world.

SArcher

Banned
I doubt they'd ever go out of their way to explicitly declare something as NON-CANON (who would that announcement be for anyway?). They'll probably just keep on doing what they're doing already, which is basically ignore anything that's happening in TV realm while teasing maybe someday, somehow, there will be some kind of crossover even though there never will.

If Marvel Studios wanted to use characters already realized on TV then the canon issue would no doubt come up. Instead of not acknowledging the TV shows they would then be outright contradicting them.

I kind of feel that this narrative of Marvel turning the Inhumans into X-Men does not have a basis in reality. Did Marvel ease up on supporting X-Men in comics? Yes. Did Marvel make a considerable push for the Inhumans? Also yes. But I think details matter.

Basically, up until 2013 the Inhumans were largely isolated form the rest of Earth's inhabitants. Conflicts mostly arose between the Inhumans themselves. Then Attilan blew up and Terrigen was released across the globe revealing all the descendants of ancient Inhumans. So this is similar to X-Men in that we have people suddenly discovering they have superpowers etc. But this is where the similarities end when we actually look at the Inhumans and X-Men books being published. The Inhumans titles have largely still been about the inner workings and politics of the Inhumans society and how it now clashes and mixes with the outside world.
The whole Terrigen Mist held back the Inhumans for a year and the new characters created from it aren't all that compelling, outside of Ms. Marvel.
You weren't joking...

NYC not looking too hot lol...opening night:

z1fJt7A.png

nHmXaIL.png

Tomorrow at a 7:15 PM showing:
It's dead.

hydruxo

I assume he gets these jobs because he can work quickly and cheaply and get things done on time, which counts for a lot...but is it really worth it when the end result is so universally reviled and damages the brand name? Not just for Inhumans, but Iron Fist, Dexter, etc.

Exactly, like I think Marvel can afford to get a good showrunner who overspends a bit on the budget and takes their time. They aren't exactly hurting for money or recognition.

SArcher

Banned
Lmao reading impressions on reddit and they didn't bother deleting the "previously on" segment between the two episodes for the theatrical cut. Like...what?

JCHandsom

Ok so I asked my friend, who had seen this, what the dumbest moment of the pilot was and here it is:

Maximus taunts Black Bolt with the fact that BB had killed their parents and immediately after he says this, we get a flashback of young Black Bolt playing with some toys next to his parents. Completely unprovoked and out of nowhere, Black Bolt just screams,

"WHY?"

And his parents both blow up. No explanation given as to why this happens, why Black Bolt yelled it, or what he was thinking.

It was a meta moment when the character realized he was in a tv show and who the showrunner was.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Disney should fire Scott buck and cancel the show. Take all the money they would have spent on the show and make a ghost rider series on Netflix. See so easy

Cuburt

I'll go ahead an drop a quick review here since I saw the premiere of the IMAX episodes since there seems to be a lack of reviews:

Maybe it's because my expectations were so low, but I didn't hate it like I thought I would. That's not to say it's not bad, I'd be hard pressed to find more good moments than moments that fell flat for me or that were just bad but what I saw would basically fall into the middle lower range of Marvel Television output so far.

If AoS season 4 and Daredevil season 1 are what I consider among the best output and Iron Fist is the worst, this is sort of AoS season 3/first half of season 1, second half of Daredevil season 2, second half of Luke Cage, season 2 of Agent Carter levels of underwhelming for me. It's better than what I've seen of Iron Fist, but not much, and even then, that's like if you viewed it in a bubble and not compared to other great output and the fact that Marvel and Imax is asking people to pay IMAX admission to watch a couple episodes of a weak TV show.

It's pretty aggressively mediocre and despite the IMAX cameras and a visually interesting opening scene, it constantly reminded me I was just watching a TV show on a big screen. The action, the effects, or even the direction weren't even the things that disappointed me the most; it was the script and much of the acting.

Maximus is passable but I wasn't exactly thrilled with the casting. Karnak was a highlight for me, especially since the character fits right in with all the TV cheesiness. Gorgon had good scenes with Karnak and the Royal Family but also had a lot of bad scenes with bad lines and weak acting. The script just sucks for the most part. Medusa also had a couple scenes where she was decent and then others that just were flat out bad. I think Black Bolt's casting was the worse for me. I get that the guy can't talk so an actor has to be expressive through body language, but this guy has no presence and weak body language. At no time do I believe he commands respect. Black Bolt really sucks. Crystal was pretty wooden, but I was charmed by her dynamic with Lockjaw.

The show is like a long pilot that sets up the status quo for the rest of the season, but I felt that a normal pilot would have actually done a better job at pitching the show. It didn't really do a lot of work fleshing out the characters or the world, almost as if they are leaving many things a mystery to drip feed across the season. They don't explain why Attilan exists, what their relationship is to Earth and why they'd want to go there (besides explaining how they are different than humans), and as much as a worn out trope as it is, introducing everything via a POV character as a proxy for the audience would at least have not made our introduction feel so scattered and aimless. Black Bolt is obviously supposed to be a main character but he's practically sinking into the background every time he's on the screen.

There are a few moments I enjoyed, but that gets a little too specifically into spoiler territory and it's not really even worth mentioning in a review other than to say that it's not all bad. Just the teases of terragenesis and the social structure in Attilan is interesting enough to have me give it a chance once it's on TV. I would say I wouldn't recommend paying to see it in IMAX, as much as I want the experiment to succeed. It doesn't feel like a complete arc/story to justify it. It feels like a lame TV show through and through and I can't really think of anything that justifies seeing it in the theater besides the Marvel name. Even if it was free I couldn't recommend driving to the theater, because your expectations are likely going to have you expecting something other than what is there.

I will give it a recommendation to watch on TV with that caveat that they have barely even scratched the surface of this world. It definitely feels like we barely begin to settle in before it's over. I think a lot of people will hate this show, and obviously already do, but I think it will still find and audience since Iron Fist did. IMAX will likely be a bust for them and the show will struggle on the small screen as well, but if you have any interest in the Royal Family, you'll finally get a chance to see them, but it may make you decide to be careful what you wish for.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Disney should fire Scott buck and cancel the show. Take all the money they would have spent on the show and make a ghost rider series on Netflix. See so easy

AoS basically set the template for them.

So, so good.

Edit:
I think Black Bolt's casting was the worse for me. I get that the guy can't talk so an actor has to be expressive through body language, but this guy has no presence and weak body language. At no time do I believe he commands respect. Black Bolt really sucks.

HLNfBtQ.gif

Top Bottom