• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

A couple more:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/inhumans/267356/inhumans-review

I won’t go in-depth into the show at this point, because the version I saw -- which ran about 75 minutes -- felt strangely truncated. I’m not sure why it was thought that two different versions were necessary, but the one screening in IMAX theaters feels too long for a TV program but too brief for a movie. Yet perhaps the most damaging aspect of screening the show in IMAX is that the large-screen format utterly emphasizes just what a discount production this is. Even if it was shot with IMAX cameras, director Roel Reine does nothing with them to make the show look extraordinary or cinematic. In fact, Inhumans looks quite cheap, as low-budget as the Marvel Netflix shows, and the overly-lit, bland compositions and settings make it look like it popped fresh out of a time machine from the 1980s or 1990s.

https://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/film/2017/sep/01/marvel-tv-series-inhumans-disastrous-imax-debut/

Series creator and showrunner Scott Buck was also behind the first season of Marvel’s Netflix series Iron Fist, and Inhumans shares that show’s awkward pacing and preference for turgid arguments over rousing action. Buck and director Roel Reiné (a veteran of straight-to-video action movies) do their best to make the theatrical version feel like a real Marvel movie, all the way up to a post-credits stinger, but the comparisons to Marvel’s features (as well as most of its TV series) only make the show look worse. At best, Inhumans resembles a mediocre ’90s syndicated genre series, and blowing it up to IMAX size just puts a bigger spotlight on the flaws.

cLOUDo

"You fought an immense, immortal, magical dragon in the wilderness surrounding an eternal city shrouded by mystery, and filled with the monks who founded Kung Fu? And you punched it in the heart, giving you incalculable mystic powers for a mortal?"

"Yes."

BTXsGLU.gif

Flawless.

"Seymour the city is shaking!"

"No Mother, it's just an immortal dragon!"

jajajja
/dead

SpaceWolf

Banned

A perfect metaphor for the show is the saga of Medusa’s hair, which she can move, control and wield as a weapon. Early footage of her CG-enhanced locks looked ridiculous, and it’s not all that great in the finished version either. The show’s solution is to shave Medusa’s hair off in the first 30 minutes of the premiere episode (not a spoiler), robbing her of her trademark feature and taking a cheap way out.

...could someone who's already seen the premiere please tell me Medusa somehow gets her hair back by the end of the first two episodes? Otherwise...

I know I'm late to this but dude wtf are you talking about? Everything about season 4 progressed naturally.

Gotchu fam:

just_myles said:
As for the LMDs , well sure, we knew they were coming since the end of the last season. I don't however like their execution. There was no buildup to what their intended functions were. If we had a season or two of LMDs being used in the field and tie that into some kind of LMD revolt, that would have been much better. This just seems like someone just threw a dart at the board. If they were going to go mystical this season, they should have kept it that way completely and had the LMDs be the villain for the mini arc.

As a whole i'm kind of tired of these shows doing these major villain switch ups midway through the season. This is not just a MCU thing btw this is DCTV as well.

just_myles said:
Season 3 was more solid for me. The two major antagonist and conflicts seemed to be inline. Unlike season 4 where the only reason ghost rider shows up because magic plot device. Maybe I saw a different show? Season 2 was fairly decent but, it followed after a horrendous season 1.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
...could someone who's already seen the premiere please tell me Medusa somehow gets her hair back by the end of the first two episodes? Otherwise...

She does not.

hahaha wow

Scott Buck, ladies and gents

Yeah, after these reviews and how weak Iron Fist was, this is going to be the first MCU production I intentionally skip. I am out.

SArcher

Banned
This show will be fun to laugh at in ten years time when we get a movie that is good but right now it really hurts that they've done this to the Inhumans.

As if I needed another reason to avoid this like the plague it's directed by Holland's worst director, Roel Reine.

2016 Hard Target 2 (Video)
2016 EDC Las Vegas (TV Movie)
2015 The Condemned 2 (Video)
2015 The Man with the Iron Fists 2 (Video)
2015 Michiel de Ruyter
2014 Seal Team Eight: Behind Enemy Lines (Video)
2013 Dead in Tombstone (Video)
2013 12 Rounds 2: Reloaded
2013 Death Race: Inferno (Video)
2012 The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption (Video)
2011 Wolf Town (as John Rebel)
2010 Death Race 2 (Video)
2010/I Bear (as John Rebel)
2009 The Lost Tribe
2009 The Marine 2 (Video)

ZeoVGM

Banned
So, here's the deal: this was bad. Here's my write-up of it. I'm not using spoiler tags because I'm not.

Let's start off with the positives.

- The first episode wasn't the second episode.

- Lockjaw. He's adorable and I thought he looked really damn good considering this is a TV show.

- I enjoyed some of the characters, mainly Gorgon and Karnak.

- Serinda Swan looks better as Medusa once her hair gets shaved off. Seriously.

And now everything else.

- The second episode had scenes where characters made ridiculously stupid decisions, leading to moments that were just embarrassing to watch.

- There is a scene after Gorgon goes to Earth to look for Triton (who was shot and fell into the ocean). Gorgon decides to just fucking walk into the ocean to find him and gets awkwardly hit by waves. Within 5 seconds, he's drowning and being rescued by some guys on surfboards.

- This leads to Gorgon spending most of the second episode hanging out on a beach with humans. The humans, who are terrible actors, instantly know he's an Inhuman because of his hooves and Gorgon just tells them why he's on Earth like they've been BFFs for a while. Seriously, these scenes are so strange that I honestly wondered if it was leading up to a reveal that Gorgon was imagining them in his mind. Nope, they were real and it was dumb.

- At the very end of the first episode, Medusa's hair is shaved off. The scene itself is shot in such an overly dramatic way, it was almost funny.

- The beginning of the second episode has a scene where everyone who is now on Earth thinks about what happened before they got sent there. It actually shows this to us in the form of flashbacks to the first half that we just watched. This would be dumb in the episode if it aired separately, let alone together as a two-episode event.

- Apparently, when Black Bolt goes to Earth, he becomes an idiot. He literally looks at everything like a newborn baby. Handcuffs? Cars? What is this magic!? Yet, Medusa acts like she's totally fine and knows what a "bus" is.

- Black Bolt then decides to go into a clothing store to dress more like humans. He is apparently so stupid at this point that he thinks you can just walk out of the place without paying and is IMMEDIATELY chased by police, leading to him awkwardly running through the streets. Because he's an idiot.

- Seriously, Black Bolt's entire personality changes into that of a snarky dickhead as soon as he decides to steal human clothing. I don't remotely understand where it comes from. He's not likable.

- The fight scenes are straight out of season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

- The first episode has two or three action scenes near the end that is set to music with lyrics. It's awkward, doesn't fit the show at all and reminded me of the music during Electro's scenes in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Verdict: 4.0 / 10

I'll be watching the series when it airs as I know television series can get better as it goes on. But I certainly don't expect much from this considering there is only six episodes left. It's a damn shame. Even as a TV show, even with the cheap-looking sets, I think this could have been good if it was led by someone other than Buck.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So, here's the deal: this was bad. He's my write-up of it. I'm not using spoiler tags because I'm not.

Let's start off with the positives.

- The first episode wasn't the second episode.

- Lockjaw. He's adorable and I thought he looked really damn good considering this is a TV show.

- I enjoyed some of the characters, mainly Gorgon and Karnak.

- Serinda Swan looks better as Medusa once her hair gets shaved off. Seriously.

And now everything else.

- The second episode had scenes where characters made ridiculously stupid decisions, leading to moments that were just embarrassing to watch.

- There is a scene after Gorgon goes to Earth to look for Triton (who was shot and fell into the ocean). Gorgon decides to just fucking walk into the ocean to find him and gets awkwardly hit by waves. Within 5 seconds, he's drowning and being rescued by some guys on surfboards.

- This leads to Gorgon spending most of the second episode hanging out on a beach with humans. The humans, who are terrible actors, instantly know he's an Inhuman because of his hooves and Gorgon just tells them why he's on Earth like they've been BFFs for a while. Seriously, these scenes are so strange that I honestly wondered if it was leading up to a reveal that Gorgon was imagining them in his mind. Nope, they were real and it was dumb.

- At the very end of the first episode, Medusa's hair is shaved off. The scene itself is shot in such an overly dramatic way, it was almost funny.

- The beginning of the second episode has a scene where everyone who is now on Earth thinks about what happened before they got sent there. It actually shows this to us in the form of flashbacks to the first half that we just watched. This would be dumb in the episode if it aired separately, let alone together as a two-episode event.

- Apparently, when Black Bolt goes to Earth, he becomes an idiot. He literally looks at everything like a newborn baby. Handcuffs? Cars? What is this magic!? Yet, Medusa acts like she's totally fine and knows what a "bus" is.

- Black Bolt then decides to go into a clothing store to dress more like humans. He is apparently so stupid at this point that he thinks you can just walk out of the place without paying and is IMMEDIATELY chased by police, leading to him awkwardly running through the streets. Because he's an idiot.

- Seriously, Black Bolt's entire personality changes into that of a snarky dickhead as soon as he decides to steal human clothing. I don't remotely understand where it comes from. He's not likable.

- The fight scenes are straight out of season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

- The first episode has two or three action scenes near the end that is set to music with lyrics. It's awkward, doesn't fit the show at all and reminded me of the music during Electro's scenes in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Verdict: 4.0 / 10

I'll be watching the series when it airs as I know television series can get better as it goes on. But I certainly don't expect much from this considering there is only six episodes left. It's a damn shame. Even as a TV show, even with the cheap-looking sets, I think this could have been good if it was led by someone other than Buck.

LMAO this sounds like a straight up train wreck.

Would you say this is even worse than Iron Fist? I didn't think an even worse show would premiere this year.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This sounds like a Scott Buck show, alright

Meh, Buck got more blame than he probably deserved for Iron Fist and he'll get more blame than he probably deserves for this.

I don't mean to let him off the hook completely; I don't doubt that he's a talentless hack. But he didn't hire himself for either show, let alone set the production schedule. (and in IF's case, I don't think it was his idea to keep the onscreen supernatural elements to an absolute minimum, given the rumors that were going around in 2015) The buck stops with Marvel Television, no pun intended.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next marvel show ruined by scott buck.

Moon knight perhaps? blade? she hulk? ms marvel?

Man, there's so much characters that can be touched by him...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Now what will be pushed in the future by Marvel? Inhumans still? X-Men, despite Fox? A new random superhero team that's similar to both? Money put on Fox to by Mutants off of'em?

VAD

I have seen it in IMAX.
It was not horrible. Iwan Rheon seems to be the only good actor to the point I'm rooting for Maximus (I also root for comic Maximus so not a surprise). I still don't get why they needed to shoehorn all the drama with him being in love with Medusa and frustrated by not having powers.
Black Bolt shouldn't go around with a naked face and smirking at everything, he looks more Reed Richards than Blackagar.
Medusa was much better saved, I liked her little psycho moment at the end.
Karnak is not enough of an asshole, also there is no mention of him not wanting to undergo Terrigenesis. I suppose it's made it so in order to support the (stupid) decision of replacing the Alpha Primitives with non powered Inhumans.
Gorgon is stupid enough so he's good.
It's nice of them to include Auran but why not give her big ears? And wtf @
that healing factor
?
I want to see the rest, just to see how worse Crystal's acting can get.

The state that all the characters find themselves in by the end of the second episode is just baffling:

Black Bolt: sitting in prison due to causing major collisions, theft, and assaulting a bunch of police officers.

Medusa: shaved head and kind of just hanging around.

Crystal: chilling in her room listening to her weird clear wireless headphones.

Lockjaw: sleeping. Probably for the next 6 episodes.

Gorgon: hanging out on a beach with some Hawaiian surfer bros kind of just waiting for Triton's corpse to wash up or for Maximus to send some more useless guys down to kill him.

Triton: a corpse until proven otherwise.

Karnak: fell down a cliff because he stepped on a rock that broke away and he fell and hit his head and knocked himself out and is covered in blood. I think it's kind of impossible for him to have done that considering he would have seen the flaw in the rock, but the show makes no effort to explain his powers so maybe not. He's kind of just curled up in a ball crying at the moment for reasons.

I can see them hiring Scott Buck for the two projects for his quick efficiency (Iron Fist seemingly had no takers and they needed to hurry it out for Defenders, and I still think Loeb was on orders from Perlmutter to get an Inhumans show out there, but like Feige, wasn't really feeling it or wanting it) but after all this, I would be FLABBERGASTED if Buck was handed anything else. At most he's going to do IF S2 and then he's out.

Mariolee

I can see them hiring Scott Buck for the two projects for his quick efficiency (Iron Fist seemingly had no takers and they needed to hurry it out for Defenders, and I still think Loeb was on orders from Perlmutter to get an Inhumans show out there, but like Feige, wasn't really feeling it or wanting it) but after all this, I would be FLABBERGASTED if Buck was handed anything else. At most he's going to do IF S2 and then he's out.

He's already off IF S2. His replacement ain't much of an improvement tho.

Cuburt

When people were joking that the promo photos looked like the Addams Family, I had hoped that the show actually was a little more like that. Play the Royal Family as kind of quirky and weird, kind of like how I think Thor works better in the wacky Ragnarok way with some serious bits instead of trying to be more like the serious Lord of the Rings sort of way with goofy Earth bits thrown in.

It was honestly some of the worst television I have ever seen, Jesus. Like the acting, writing, editing, production design, etc were all so shitty it was unbelievable. How did they make it this far and not realize how shitty it was?

Not big surprise.

I genuinely don't understand why Marvel Studios would gladly sign away such a valuable property and sign it over to a woefully incompetent creative in an effort to turn it into a cheap-looking ABC series. Marvel Studios always been so keen on expanding the MCU and creating viable franchises...especially now that they're going to need to create new ones with Robert Downey JR and company's contracts being close to their expiry dates. Isn't Inhumans something they would have wanted to hold to? Instead, it seems we're now just going to get a rubbish show that's likely to wind up getting itself cancelled sooner rather than later. It's maddening.

It's been explained before in this thread, but this isn't Marvel Studios, at least, not the film side of things - the Inhumans film was Ike Perlmutter's baby as an attempt to substitute for the X-Men, which was consistent with a bunch of his other rather petty shots at Fox. Kevin Feige obviously had no interest in the series, and frankly, I can see why for various reasons. He complained to Disney about Perlmutter and the Marvel "Creative Council" being a massive pain in the ass to work with and painfully restrictive (which also caused Joss Whedon to stop working on Marvel stuff after Age of Ultron, last I checked), so Disney gave him full control over Marvel Studios, leaving Perlmutter in charge of everything else at Marvel - comics, TV, games, etc, which resulted in the Inhumans movie being jettisoned from the lineup, so Perlmutter had Loeb retool it into a TV show instead.

Ike Perlmutter is a lot of things, but he's also a notorious penny-pincher. He's also a vindictive scumbag, mainly towards Fox. Really, everything wrong with Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite (lack of X-Men or Fantastic Four characters, everything seeming awfully cheap and rushed, etc) is symbolic of how he runs Marvel, along with giving Marvel TV shows rather crappy budgets to work with despite having access to an obscene amount of money from both Marvel and Disney to work with if given the right justification.

Not big surprise.

It's been explained before in this thread, but this isn't Marvel Studios, at least, not the film side of things - the Inhumans film was Ike Perlmutter's baby as an attempt to substitute for the X-Men, which was consistent with a bunch of his other rather petty shots at Fox. Kevin Feige obviously had no interest in the series, and frankly, I can see why for various reasons. He complained to Disney about Perlmutter and the Marvel "Creative Council" being a massive pain in the ass to work with and painfully restrictive (which also caused Joss Whedon to stop working on Marvel stuff after Age of Ultron, last I checked), so Disney gave him full control over Marvel Studios, leaving Perlmutter in charge of everything else at Marvel - comics, TV, games, etc, which resulted in the Inhumans movie being jettisoned from the lineup, so Perlmutter had Loeb retool it into a TV show instead.

Ike Perlmutter is a lot of things, but he's also a notorious penny-pincher. He's also a vindictive scumbag, mainly towards Fox. Really, everything wrong with Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite (lack of X-Men or Fantastic Four characters, everything seeming awfully cheap and rushed, etc) is symbolic of how he runs Marvel, along with giving Marvel TV shows rather crappy budgets to work with despite having access to an obscene amount of money from both Marvel and Disney to work with if given the right justification.

I don't understand why they don't just fire Perlmutter and promote Feige to be in charge of everything Marvel.

I don't understand why they don't just fire Perlmutter and promote Feige to be in charge of everything Marvel.

Well, Perlmutter hasn't screwed up anything that badly as far as Disney is concerned, but some in the industry (and some magazines that report on this stuff) consider Perlmutter's thriftiness a good thing and perhaps give him too much credit for Marvel's rise in stature after its bankruptcy and the success of the Marvel Studios initiative.

Top Bottom