• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

Renpatsu

Is Miguel Sapochnik's directing on ep 4 noticeable at all? Seems not due to no one mentioning it.
The hallway fight in that episode probably has the most energy of the Finn Jones fights up until that point. It also had some interesting lighting and framing choices, but ultimately the dialogue and story hold it back from being as distinctive as it could be in a better show.

Edit: Yeah, I think it's safe to say episode four is noticeably better directed than the initial three. There feels like a sense of purpose to the direction that it has lacked for some time now.

shaowebb

Wow. Iron Fist's critics being wrong is trending on twitter at the moment. Glad to see I wasn't alone in watching this and wondering just what in the hell were they all so pissy about. Show is good and the fans are putting it out there on twitter that the critics have no idea who the character is and how well this show is telling the story so far.

Bout halfway. Still feel you can't trust the critics and should make your own opinion on this one. Its a pretty good Iron Fist show. Colleen's fights are rough but thats bout all.

Sanctuary

Apparently not...

If only 19% of a class passes an exam, you don't say "It's less 19% and more like 40%." We're not talking review averages, we're talking about hard numbers of who liked it and who didn't.

Your test example isn't all that great considering the aggregate is just an average of opinions. Even without nuance, it's still an indicator of subjective quality. Which is how I was using it. If you want to use "just facts", the facts are right now RT is sitting at a 19% yes/no, while MC is sitting at 53%.

Anyway, halfway through and it's like watching The Last Dragon. But without the awesome.

Jake2by4

Your test example isn't all that great considering the aggregate is just an average of opinions. Even without nuance, it's still an indicator of subjective quality. Which is how I was using it. If you want to use "just facts", the facts are right now RT is sitting at a 19% yes/no, while MC is sitting at 53%.

36% now

jorma

is now taking requests
Four episodes in and i kinda like it actually. Might be a side effect of going in with such low expectations after the bad reviews. So far i'd say it's not as good as DD but better than JJ.
And i don't hate any of the characters, which is always a bonus.

Dali

Omg this show's fight scenes are cheesy as fuck. I feel like I'm watching reruns of Xena. You had one fucking job Buck.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Only finished the first episode but it was pretty good.

Kung-Fu fights are the most entertaining and well-thought out of anything I've seen in a Marvel show thus far. They flow like water and there's little hesitation on any participants' parts. Danny's more likable than I initially expected, but that might also be because the show's tone is definitely lighter than all the other Netflix shows (as it should be).

I don't know if this falls off of a cliff in subsequent episodes but this seems pretty apt for a de-mysticalized Iron Fist show? The show had negative press even before they started work on it (rumours that it was in trouble and they were mulling a movie but they hadn't even started at that point), so I wonder how much damage early molding of perception around the show did to it, now that everyone's going in thinking it will be shit.

Kung-Fu fights are the most entertaining and well-thought out of anything I've seen in a Marvel show thus far.

Ice-Cube-Confused-With-A-Brainless-Stare_408x408.jpg

Anung

Un Rama
First episode was ehhhhhh. Not terrible not great. The opening is okay but they could have played up the fist element instead of just street fighter 4 ink. Finn Jones does fine with what he's given but the rest of the cast is a bit generic. It was weird seeing that clearly 19 old man pick on 10 year old Danny.

Fighting is weak as piss so far. Like they only had 2 takes to get it right. Started quick with Danny out-asianing the Asian characters too.

Biggest complaint is how weakly shot the whole thing is especially compared to how stylish Luke Cage could be. Just feels really buy the numbers some of the flashbacks and that car jump looked laughable bad.

I do dig the mental health angle though. I'll give it a few more episodes.

3 episodes in.

The show definitely has some issues, but it's been alright so far. The cheesy charm is starting to grab me a bit.

Blader

Anyway, halfway through and it's like watching The Last Dragon. But without the awesome.

Those are two completely separate scoring methodologies. Complaining about how "it's nowhere near 19 percent" on RT is tantamount to saying more than 19 percent of critics should be giving it a thumbs up, not a thumbs down. Even though both its actual average rating and the average MC score would both still be considered a thumbs down.

Krowley

Finn plays Danny as a sort of naive but likable, good-natured guy. You get the sense that he's still kind of a kid. But there's also this sort of dark side peeking through here and there, some kind of PTSD from the training and whatever happened to him in the magical kung-fu place.

I don't know if this portrayal fits with the comics, but the character is working pretty well for me so far. I sort of like that he's not particularly edgy. He's just kind of a good guy.

Pachimari

Just finished Episode 1 and that was pretty good. The only bad thing was the fighting choreography at the entrance in the start, and the punch he did to
one of the hired thugs
which you could clearly see didn't connect. I love all of the Buddhist sayings and stuff Danny has. The jump over the taxi looked nice. I already dislike the Meachums which is the purpose. Just weird how they won't believe him after all the details Danny could tell about.

shaowebb

Check out the difference in user reviews vs critic reviews on metacritic.
15L9Brz.jpg

...and one of the "negative" reviews when red has a score of zero but a positive review left from them so they forgot to click a score before submitting and are an outlier. Not since Godhand have reviewers jerked each other off so much by parroting the same bad criticism.

Fans are enjoying it.

Blader

15L9Brz.jpg

...and one of the "negative" reviews when red has a score of zero but a positive review left from them so they forgot to click a score before submitting and are an outlier. Not since Godhand have reviewers jerked each other off so much by parroting the same bad criticism.

Fans are enjoying it.

7 out of 10 seems like a pretty small sample size for that.

Just finished the first episode, and man, I can already tell that so many of the show's problems stem from the completely asinine decision to play down the supernatural elements in order to keep it more in line with the other Netflix shows tonally.

caliph95

15L9Brz.jpg

Fans are enjoying it.
User reviews on metacritic means shit especially this early

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
15L9Brz.jpg

Fans are enjoying it.

Uh..Fans of comic stuff always do this and then the user reviews level out. Just like how tons of users rush to push up the IMDb score. Happened with Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. It has also gone the other direction where people rush to push movies down before they've been released. I wouldn't put any stock into user reviews... well ever, but not for a couple weeks, at least

Renpatsu

Danny bringing "takeout" to Colleen's dojo is the kind of dumb humourous​ character moment this show could use more of.

I've been using the site since it first appeared in '98. I know exactly how it works, but that's not going to stop me from using a consensus as an overall barometer. Oh wait...

Then why are you, like so many people in RT watch threads on this site, arguing that the RT % should be higher and that it doesn't feel "19% awful", when that number doesn't express how highly reviewers are actually rating the show? A show or movie could theoretically be rated a 5.9/10 at 0% freshness. Would you then be arguing that it's not 0% awful?

There are degrees to those Y/N though, when a "no" can be anything between 0-5.9/10 and a "yes" anything between 6-10/10. I've seen movies rated around 6/10 at 100% freshness (granted at a relatively small sample size), would you argue that those are higher rated by critics than a 8/10 movie with 90% freshness? The RT average rating represents the more detailed view at how good reviewers think a film/series is and so does Metacritic, which is why those scores are often pretty close together.

15L9Brz.jpg

Fans are enjoying it.

parody post?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Is anyone else bothered that
Hogarth
seems like a good minded person here? It clashes with her character in JJ.

Rooster12

15L9Brz.jpg

Fans are enjoying it.

Finn Jones be posting on Neogaf

I've only just started, but it doesn't seem as unwatchable as some people here are making it out to be. I've enjoyed it thus far, but I'm only on episode 4. We'll see what the rest of the show has in store.

15L9Brz.jpg

Fans are enjoying it.

You're posting this in the middle of the workday, in the middle of a drunken holiday, and in the middle of the biggest daytime college basketball week in the country, when all of ten people in the entire country have managed to review it.

But hey, spin that narrative.

fantomena

Im really enjoying this show so far. On ep 5 right now. Have however never read or seen anything about Iron Fist before though.

SArcher

Banned
I've only just started, but it doesn't seem as unwatchable as some people here are making it out to be. I've enjoyed it thus far, but I'm only on episode 4. We'll see what the rest of the show has in store.

Critics saw 6 episodes and were calling it a dumpster fire. Personally liking it more than Daredevil S1 which is saying a lot.

Diablos54

Only seen the first 2 episodes so far, pretty slow and not exactly great but nowhere near the trash I've been hearing it is, so far at least!

caliph95

I feel like the first few episodes were a waste of time since the actual plot statrs like idk episode 4 which is the company politics.
Like seriously the whole wheter Danny is real or not and all the bullshit should been done first episode. Should have him control the company ealier on so the show like episode 2 could have some direction early in first half.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Wow. Iron Fist's critics being wrong is trending on twitter at the moment. Glad to see I wasn't alone in watching this and wondering just what in the hell were they all so pissy about. Show is good and the fans are putting it out there on twitter that the critics have no idea who the character is and how well this show is telling the story so far.

Bout halfway. Still feel you can't trust the critics and should make your own opinion on this one. Its a pretty good Iron Fist show. Colleen's fights are rough but thats bout all.
I just watched up to episode 7 in one sitting and I'm loving the hell out of it. Fuck the "critics"

Also, Ward and Harold look maybe a decade apart in age, if that (Pelphrey and Wenham are actually 17 years apart, which could be a worse stretch, but Wenham has aged a lot better, lol).

fantomena

I just watched up to episode 7 in one sitting and I'm loving the hell out of it. Fuck the "critics"

I agreed. Like I said, I know nothing about the Iron Fist as a character, absolutely nothing, never read the comics or anything. I logged into Netflix today too check if there was any new show I wanted to watch, the Iron Fist launch banner came first up and I said to myself "Eh..what the hell..let's check it out" and here I am, 5 episodes in and enjoying the hell outta the show.

So perhaps not knowing anything about iron First helps, not sure, but I know I really enjoy it.

Shredderi

I'm still on episode 2. How can this motherfucker be so fucking stupid to casually talk to doctors, inside a mental hospital about other dimensions and iron fists? How can he have no self awareness about this? Just lie and make it more grounded in order to get out.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

This :) I have a few points of complaint (Boo Bride) but other than that, it's perfectly fine and fits into the Netflix universe while having his own take on it, which is all I could hope for.

In lack of a better word, and people will hate me for it, to me it feels like what the Flash is for the DCTV U. Now Defenders please.

shingi70

Banned
I'm still on episode 2. How can this motherfucker be so fucking stupid to casually talk to doctors, inside a mental hospital about other dimensions and iron fists? How can he have no self awareness about this? Just lie and make it more grounded in order to get out.

Well , aliens have invaded so you'd assumed people would assume it's possible.

Top Bottom