• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

ev0

No argument from me there.

Also, I'm thinking it would've been interesting to have seen Lewis Tan as Davos even moreso than Danny. It would have played pretty fittingly into the character, considering the backstory...

With all the casting controversy (which didnt bug me mcuh tbh), changing Davos' race bugged me. I thought it was an easy way to feature a Chinese actor without worrying about him being the lead. Also when Lewis Tan said they gave him another role I had assumed it was Davos...

Pachimari

Around her? Is the character that important in the comics?

Not necessarily around her. Just give her a larger role. I liked what we got of her. In the comics she have been in some tournaments, worked alongside the immortal weapons, protecting her city and avenging stuff breaking free from her master and such.

Tokubetsu

Anyone ever watch Marco Polo on Netflix? Apparently its the same stunt coordinator as Iron Fist but the martial arts scenes are waaaaaayy better.

So as mentioned, Finn's lack of prep time/skills and the shitty cuts and edits used to cover up for it may be more of an issue than even the choreography

Really? I actually commented to a friend that since they canned MP why couldn't they get their stunt/action team over here but nvm lol.

finowns

Anyone ever watch Marco Polo on Netflix? Apparently its the same stunt coordinator as Iron Fist but the martial arts scenes are waaaaaayy better.

So as mentioned, Finn's lack of prep time/skills and the shitty cuts and edits used to cover up for it may be more of an issue than even the choreography

The problem wasn't Finn's skills. They managed to make Melissa McCarthy look like a bad-ass in Spy and she had no skills that I know of. There was no imagination in coming up with the fights. This series needs a show-runner that cares and is excited to tell the story of Danny Rand.

I'm really liking this show. I wasn't expecting much after seeing it ripped apart by critics, but I think it's the most watchable of the 4 for me. Daredevil is my favorite, and I think I would rank this second. I really wanted to like Jessica Jones but it just bored me. I had to keep going back and willing myself to watch more episodes, but with this one, I find it easier to binge/go onto the next one. I just watched episode 10 and thought it was really epic. I'm like damn, I really want to watch the next one now!

i-Lo

Finally finished watching it yesterday and here are my Pros and Cons (having no background in Ironfist's comic book origin story):

Pros:

• After Daredevil, this show hooked me unlike JJ until the latter part and LC until mid season.
  • Fight sequences are very well done and combat takes quite a substantial amount of screen time.
  • Aside from Danny, other characters felt much more rounded with flaws and redeeming qualities
  • The Hand's development over the four separate story lines are is becoming truly intriguing
  • Great opener for growths of all characters involved
Cons:
  • Danny's character felt flat- After 15 years at Kun-lun under the tutelage of monks, I expected more mental discipline and maturity instead of flying off the handle in most situations. He comes off like a self absorbed brat whose buttons can be pushed by the tragedy of his past, a touch too easily. Bruce Wayne's character suffered a similar fate, lived in the material world under the guidance of a single (great) mentor for major part and still manages to be disciplined. I hope they make him grow as a person in significant way in the next season.

PS: The intro is right up there with Daredevil.

Romez

I hate it when this excuse pops up. "Well, they were brutes, untrained people." To hell with that excuse. The fights didn't even look as though they didn't know how to fight, or even like straight out brutes. The thing is, they didn't show it like they put in any power or effort in their punches. It looked wrong. The only good fight from those two shows were the Jessica Jones vs Luke Cage fight in JJ.

I'm now at Episode 12 and it has gotten better and better. I do fear they'll mess up the finale though, or if it'll end with some sort of set up to Defenders.

Why are you expecting people with superhuman strength to punch average joes at full power? They're clearly trying not to kill people. It's why LC can tap someone on the head and knock them out.

Corpekata

Banned
Still slowly making it through.

About the only time I really latch on to this show is when it shows Danny like having the time of his life fighting. Like he smiles and is clearly at home in the fight. They explore this somewhat with Colleen too. They should have made this more of a cornerstone of the show. Sort of a Metal Gear Solid-ish "what does a warrior do when he's no longer needed" sort of theme maybe.

It's a shame the fight scenes themselves rarely translate that though.

There's a lot that can be picked apart about Iron Fist, but at the end of the day, most of it stems from a lack of any vision for or confidence in the source material.

This is a show that exists to fulfill the terms of the contract Marvel Television and ABC Studios signed with Netflix in 2013, not for any creative reason.

I hate it when this excuse pops up. "Well, they were brutes, untrained people." To hell with that excuse. The fights didn't even look as though they didn't know how to fight, or even like straight out brutes. The thing is, they didn't show it like they put in any power or effort in their punches. It looked wrong. The only good fight from those two shows were the Jessica Jones vs Luke Cage fight in JJ.

I'm now at Episode 12 and it has gotten better and better. I do fear they'll mess up the finale though, or if it'll end with some sort of set up to Defenders.
I disagree for Luke Cage. The whole point is that he doesn't have to fight. It's not even a fight, or worth the effort. Just smacking guys aside makes perfect sense

Renpatsu

I think this show wanted to be about the consequences that stem from intensely wrapping your life around experiences of trauma? Taking the characters at face value two of the narrative's most prominent, Ward and Danny, are so insanely warped due to their upbringing that it drives their personalities in very similar fashion.

The show doesn't meaningfully explore this idea beyond making it details that colour their backstories and lampshading it with Claire at the end, but it does more with it than it ever does presenting a nuanced understanding of corporate responsibility, financial inequality, or the 1%.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
There's a lot that can be picked apart about Iron Fist, but at the end of the day, most of it stems from a lack of any vision for or confidence in the source material.

This is a show that exists to fulfill the terms of the contract Marvel Television and ABC Studios signed with Netflix in 2013, not for any creative reason.

This was basically my takeaway. Iron Fist actually pushed me to go back and watch a few episodes of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage just to make sure I didn't imagine that the quality with those was higher. I didn't. Those shows are just way more focused about what they are. Iron Fist is just a mediocre action show with poor action.

All these Netflix Marvel programs need to edit down their runtimes though. Iron Fist most of all. There was no good reason for almost every episode being nearly an hour. The story they were telling didn't justify that at all.

Pachimari

Finished Iron Fist! I fucking loved it. And they clearly have plans for a second season, as I don't think some of those plots will be touched upon in The Defenders.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Just finished the season. At first, I thought it was a mediocre series. Yeah, it's the weakest of all the MCU Netflix series and the choreography sucks, but it was still watchable. But that finale...it just highlighted all the flaws of the show with its crappy writing and character motivation. For it to end it that way is just... ugh.

Marvel really needs to scrap IF season 2 and make Luke Cage season 2 as a Heroes for Hire team up instead.

Pachimari

Marvel really needs to scrap IF season 2 and make Luke Cage season 2 as a Heroes for Hire team up instead.
I really disagree with this. As good as they work together I want Danny Rand to have his own show where the focus is on him, his company and his past in the monastery. They need to dig deep into K'un Lun in Season 2 while also keeping the company plot going. I loved the whole Rand Enterprises thing this season.

this might be attributable to my marvel fanboyism, but i view marvel TV -- at its worst -- as being almost on the level of the arrowverse. at its best, though (e.g. both seasons of daredevil), marvel TV absolutely blows all of those programs out of the water

I found Flash S1 to be one of the best, if not the best, season of superhero TV.

Eobard in S1 still the best comic book villain on TV as far as I'm concerned.

I'm on the last episode. It's not a good show, but somehow I found it more watchable than Daredevil season 2. I can't believe Jessica Henwick was a sand snake.

I love their on site shooting.

Lets go to
China! And by China I mean this abandoned warehouse in Queens. And fuck Kun Lun. You get none of that either.

milkham

I really disagree with this. As good as they work together I want Danny Rand to have his own show where the focus is on him, his company and his past in the monastery. They need to dig deep into K'un Lun in Season 2 while also keeping the company plot going. I loved the whole Rand Enterprises thing this season.

I don't know if I'm prepared to find out that Lei Kung is the only Chinese person in K'un Lun

Sir Doom

Danny is a hypocrite
Up to Episode 6
I gave up materialistic things: Aston Martin and nice Apartment

I'm the Iron Fist.
Which means I do not lose
. CRINGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was actually an advocate for this show, I really enjoyed episodes 1 through 6.

Currently I am on episode 7 and took a breather for now due to the below spoiler.

E7 Spoiler

That sex scene was so out of place! I cringed through that whole scene of talking and sex. I dont know how the series ends yet but that has been the low point so far. The acting in that scene is so bad and the sex came out of nowhere story wise as the girl didnt really care for him 2 episodes ago.

Hex

Banned
Charlie Cox convinced me he was Daredevil, much more so than Finn Jones as the Iron Fist.

I think they should have given Finn a mask or something like Season 1 Daredevil black suit. Claire would have commented that she has seen something like it before.

For a guy who is a billionaire and a public figure, Finn has no problem protecting his identity. Running around like an idiot and announcing himself.

It really was one of the more glaring parts of the show.
Now that being said, I chalked it up to he has been living with kung fu monks since he was a kid. In many ways because of the way they presented it he would not think of things like that. BUT they were wishy washy during the show and would not commit either way.
PTSD + maturity level of a pre teen with the highest elite kung fu training out there? They could have gone that way but they didn't.
Instead they just made him whiny and irritating.

Hex

Banned
I was actually an advocate for this show, I really enjoyed episodes 1 through 6.

Currently I am on episode 7 and took a breather for now due to the below spoiler.

E7 Spoiler

That sex scene was so out of place! I cringed through that whole scene of talking and sex. I dont know how the series ends yet but that has been the low point so far. The acting in that scene is so bad and the sex came out of nowhere story wise as the girl didnt really care for him 2 episodes ago.

By that point she had been into him for a while.
Little glances, looks after he walks away, and her frustration levels give that away.

shaowebb

Been workin a lot. Finally came home and didn't crash or need sleep so I watched Iron fist some more.

Okay...episode 6 is shit in every single Danny scene. He cant do Tai Chi, he can't sound deep, he can't fight, his practice punches are ass, and his stance is fucking terrible...squat you lazy sumbitch! I worked harder at white belt than you do at "Iron Fist" levels of training.

Show is okay but its action and ability to fake kung fu is utterly fucking horrible. They can't cut anymore obviously to a double than they already do and he still somehow chokes the life out of any semblance of agrresion he has. Plus the entire
bride of nine spiders fight and challenge stuff was shit tier. All these dudes built up in an intro to become one shot throw aways and all their fights are indistinguishable from jobbers. How do you build a threat if they never DO ANYTHING before facing him?

Someone please hire a stunt team and choreographer to sit in on script meetings next time.

XAL

Why is the hand a fucking undergrad college?

Been workin a lot. Finally came home and didn't crash or need sleep so I watched Iron fist some more.

Okay...episode 6 is shit in every single Danny scene. He cant do Tai Chi, he can't sound deep, he can't fight, his practice punches are ass, and his stance is fucking terrible...squat you lazy sumbitch! I worked harder at white belt than you do at "Iron Fist" levels of training.

Show is okay but its action and ability to fake kung fu is utterly fucking horrible. They can't cut anymore obviously to a double than they already do and he still somehow chokes the life out of any semblance of agrresion he has. Plus the entire
bride of nine spiders fight and challenge stuff was shit tier. All these dudes built up in an intro to become one shot throw aways and all their fights are indistinguishable from jobbers. How do you build a threat if they never DO ANYTHING before facing him?

Someone please hire a stunt team and choreographer to sit in on script meetings next time.

He only had 3 weeks maybe of training and learned the choreography for a scene 15 minutes before shoot/during.

shaowebb

Why is the hand a fucking undergrad college?

He only had 3 weeks maybe of training and learned the choreography for a scene 15 minutes before shoot/during.

Remember the guy who played Darth Maul? That guy actually knows animal kung fu and does a lot of choreography stuff. He put in multiple reels trying to land the role.

Yeah....yeaaaaaaaaaaaah. That was just one of many other options they didn't take. Casting for the non fight scenes? Yeah sure he does alright. Casting for an action focused character who HAS to be convincing as a fighter to pull off his role in the story? Not so much. Dude can't even throw a practice punch and do tai chi well.

Lmo911

While I'm liking Iron Fist, it's is totally a wasted opportunity. It's basically Arrow without the flash backs to the island (Kun Lun).

It would have been really cool to basically play this series backwards to all the others. While Daredevil, Luck Cage, and Jessica Jones are learning to be heroes and rising up to the occasion, Iron Fist should have been about Danny already being that hero in Kun Lun and then slowly doubting his choices and making his way back home.

Realistically season 1 of Iron Fist should be season 2.

milkham

Not trying to be ignorant, but is that an american thing? I feel like in Germany we use the word "Orient" for something completely different. More to describe the Arab world and sometimes the area up to india.
But I have never heard someone use it for East-Asia and especially not to describe a person.

yeah it's an american thing. we are supposed to use "oriental" for objects like rugs and vases, not people.

Show is alright by me a few episodes in. Feels lower tier than the impressive first season of Daredevil (be it action, script, even acting) but it also has been entertaining enough so far. All I know of Iron Fist is from a Marvel videogame or two so needless to say overall fidelity to the comics source (beyond what he is supposed to look like) is of little concern to me.

Applebite

I'm on episode 4. It has a lot of issues, but I don't think Finn Jones is bad at all? I saw some criticism of him and honestly I think he's doing a good job, especially considering the material given.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just started watching it.

Two episodes in and it's kinda okay? Definitely really slow right now and I've gotten on gaf once or twice during it but it's not bad and nowhere near terrible.

I do like Finn Jones as Danny, though. I've never read an Iron First comic, so I dunno if he's playing him completely wrong or what, but I like what he's doing with the character.

Bad fight scenes, though.

I've been doing nothing but watching the Power Ranger twitch stream this last week and those guys could teach the Iron Fist people a thing or two about fight choreography.

kiaaa

This show obviously has a lot of problems, but I'm getting really tired of the no killing thing, especially when Danny was raised to, as we hear him say a million times, destroy the hand. I'm not saying he has to be murder crazy, but I don't see why he has such a huge problem killing these people, at least the ones that seriously evil.

This is also kinda my gripe with Claire. How she can still be so naive (hospital part) when it comes to the Hand even as she talks about how evil/powerful they are is incredibly confusing.

Finally finished, first time it's taken me a week to get through one of these Netflix Marvel shows, I didn't hate it but it didn't really have any highs. The last episode was especially "meh", Danny not only sucks at his job and he's just not very bright, I laughed out loud
when it had to be spelled out for him that Harold was responsible for the plane crash some I imagine most figured out in the first episode (which okay to be fair would be episode 4 for him) and by episode 13 even after Harold framed him he couldn't put two and two together without help,

This show definitely could've used a couple months between casting and filming. Maybe another go over the scripts too.

Zzoram

They really need to spread the word about how to kill the Hand zombies. It's so annoying when someone learns a critically important piece of info and then proceeds to tell no one.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Watching episode 4 right now.

Does this show known that it's about martial arts? Cus so far Danny has only had one real fight and he didn't do much.

[edit]

HALLWAY FIGHT

[edit]

Just got done with episode 7.

This might be the rare Marvel show where it gets better and not worse.

Rymuth

Finished. What a piece of garbage. I imagined Danny being unlikeable from the beginning but he was actually not too bad in the first few episodes. Then everyone (good and bad) start calling him out on his shit and he kept stomping his foot down, throwing a tantrum. What an ass.

The less said about the 'fights' the better

Only thing I liked about this show was
Madame Gao and her running circles around Danny which, lets face it, isn't a particularly hard thing to do.

Finished the first six episodes. I'm kind of enjoying the show. Maybe it's because of the lowered expectations, but I think Finn is super charming. The fights are fine - nothing amazing, but not completely terrible like some are making them out to be.

This is definitely better than JJ and LC, at least comparing their first halves. Hopefully it doesn't shit the bed in the 2nd half.

Pachimari

Not to say this information is correct, but according to third party analysis software, Iron Fist has been a smashing success so far, having had more viewers than both Daredevil and Jessica Jones during their launches, but less than Luke Cage. It also has a 5-star rating on Netflix for whatever worth that is.

Zyf17ym.jpg

Watching episode 5 now - despite the really, really awful start the relationship between Danny and Colleen has gotten pretty cute and charming.

Top Bottom