• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

I AM THE IRON FIRST, DEFENDER OF K'UN L'UN

*can only do the Iron First for a second and gets beat up by hired goons*
dfdGDfa1D3omv53B8ZrXDQIJ10w=.gif

Just finished the show. Was pretty alright. Like it more than Jessica Jones and parts of Luke Cage Not a fan of Finn Jones' acting, definitely the worst part for me. I'm definitely ​looking forward to Defenders.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just finished episode 6

i'm not liking it very much, but i feel like i have to finish to build up to the defenders

is the back half better? does it lead into the defenders?

i kind of wish this was just a night nurse / coleen wing show

Volimar

just finished episode 6

i'm not liking it very much, but i feel like i have to finish to build up to the defenders

It does get a bit better, but then falls off a cliff in the last episode. Hang in there.

Alchemy

Ok, up until episode 6 Iron Fist was just bad and boring me. Episode 6 is actually pathetic in how terrible it is, holy shit. How. The. Fuck.

just finished episode 6

Honestly, any references to this show they could drop in Defenders will in no way be worth all the time it takes to watch the whole thing. The second half is even worse.

Binged the season and the show is meh. Average at best. Surprisingly the only character I really cared about towards the end if Ward. Danny is just awful. I get that he's been away for 15 years so hes a bit naive but at the same time the show doesn't always act like thats the case. I'm not sure if he's naive or just plain dumb. The finale's
last fight was just so underwhelming. Ironfist, a man so extensively trained for the past 15 years he's supposedly a living weapon, struggles against middle aged man. Don't forget they kept showing us scenes of Harold working out so we know hes tough! It was just pathetic. I mean he's no kingpin. Oh and whats with Joy wanting Danny dead now? Because he ruined everything? Clearly fucking Harold did.
Not the worst show ever but definitely the worst Marvel netflix show.

Kaizer

Banned
Just finished episode 08 and I've gotta say, I've been enjoying the show for the most part, mostly like the last three episodes. I can easily see why people could get bored with it, but it's been enjoyable thus far. The fight scenes aren't epic, but they get the job done - I've seen much worse.

And I'm assuming the guy who played the drunken fighter, Zhou Cang, was the asian actor who was originally campaigning to play Iron Fist? Shame, dude's got skill.

krioto

I've finished episode 7, and I don't think I give a shit to continue. Its not as good as the other netflix marvel shows, and if you're going to make a show about a martial arts super-hero, he'd better be kicking arse everywhere - this dude is just scraping by on henchmen.

Just finished episode 08 and I've gotta say, I've been enjoying the show for the most part, mostly like the last three episodes. I can easily see why people could get bored with it, but it's been enjoyable thus far. The fight scenes aren't epic, but they get the job done - I've seen much worse.

And I'm assuming the guy who played the drunken fighter, Zhou Cang, was the asian actor who was originally campaigning to play Iron Fist? Shame, dude's got skill.

Really? His acting was pretty bad to me. Like straight out of one of those video game fighting movies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Danny really is the worst fighter in this universe huh lol that hallway fight with him and Davos...sigh

His skills made me think of wimp lo from the movie Kung-pow. The guy they intentionally trained to be a shitty fighter as a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

I'm imagining some fighters from kun-lun purposefully training a white guy wrong to amuse themselves and be butt of their jokes but keeping it an inside joke where they create the legend of the Iron First and outsiders and even most of the citizens don't know that Iron Fist is actually a joke title.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Thinking back on the show the only character I ended up really liking was... Ward? Like it surprises to say that in the end but he was often the most hilarious character in a lot of scenes. I also felt kind of bad for him considering who his father was. Still a shitty dude but at least he tried to help his sister and all that and wasn't as out right anger inducing as Danny was.

lewisgone

I'm on episode...7 I think? I kind of like it if I don't take it too seriously actually. Daredevil is my favourite of the Netflix marvel shows, but after that I think this might be the one I find the most watchable? JJ was way better in parts but also dragged like crazy. Luke Cage I found literally so boring I watched half of the series with audio description so I didn't have to watch the screen and could just clean the house or something while it was on. With iron fist the episodes go pretty quick and are quite entertaining even though it is a bit mindless.

With that said, they really should have put more effort into the fight scenes and stuff, it's hard enough to be convinced that this guys been training in a monastery for 15 years when he's talking about it, let alone when he's fighting. He's not even in amazing shape or anything. Read he had little time to prepare so it's not really his fault but they should have got someone else or postponed production because the end result just looked silly.

Oh and the fight scene with the woman in episode 6 was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and not in a good way.

Shoeless

It's not terrible, but not as consistently engaging to me as the other Marvel Netflix heroes. Jessica Jones is still my favorite because she was so messed up, but Luke Cage did a lot of good things as well, and is very timely right now with the idea of a bullet proof black man. Daredevil was incredibly entertaining for the first season, and had some high notes for the second, such as the Punisher, though it didn't quite nail it as well as that first season.

My biggest beef with this series is that the writers decided that this entire season should be dedicated to how messed up Danny Rand is so they can redeem and evolve his character either in the Defenders, or in Iron Fist season 2. The problem then becomes that they mess him up and have him make so many boneheaded decisions here, so that they have as much as possible for him to "fix" in subsequent episodes that it makes it difficult to root for him. By episode 3 you know he will ALWAYS rush off, make an extremely poor decision, see bad consequences, feel bad about it... and then go off and do it AGAIN in the next episode, over and over again.

Even Jessica Jones occasionally did some clever stuff that won the day, and she was a bitter, messed up alcoholic. This guy was trained by purportedly the greatest marital arts forces on Earth and continually makes idiotic choices that worsen the situation for everyone involved. The writers REALLY need to smarten him up next season, or else kind of write him off as the "problem hero" in the Defenders that the others have to put up with.

Corpekata

Banned
Ward is just a bizaare character. Like why are we even following him around, the dude like tries to have Danny killed for no reason in the first episode. It's like they forgot that and now just wanna focus on his issues or follow him in day to day corporate life. When you're that comically awful and evil it's hard to get people invested in you.

On the last episode more..man. This show was boring as all hell. The fighting was petty damn laughable, almost like they were sparring underwater. Good grief..took me a week to finish and I usually finish these shows within 24 hours. What a chore..

Breads

Banned
It wasn't as bad as people were trying to tell me.

Utterly unfocused, business intrigue/ mental health/ drug plot did absolutely nothing for me, the fights were so boring I started to skip through them, but overall I would say you could probably recut this into a solid four episode mini series. There is something in here but much like a lot of these Netflix Marvel series It just didn't need 13 episodes, this probably deserving the least a mount of time.

I watched the first couple of episodes yesterday but I had to start doing chores around the living room at the same time as it just wasn't interesting enough to sit through uninterrupted. I hope Danny's character becomes more captivating as he is deathly boring so far.

MartyStu

Things we should not be saying about a show where the martial arts should be the centerpiece.

As an aside, I agree with people who say the show is not as bad as some others have said, but that is entirely relative to the internet hyperbole machine. On its own merits, the show is okay at its best, and Arrow Season 3 at its worst. That is a pretty damning indictment for the 5th Season of what was peak Comics TV (Legion is now the show to beat).

This show was such a disappointment. Everything is so meandering. Whereas the other shows seemed tightly scripted for 6-7 episodes, it was all over the place. All they needed was

1. Strong fight choreography (how did DD get this so right and Iron Fist so wrong?)
2. More usage of the titular Iron Fist
3. Flashbacks to K'un L'un. Arrow literally set this standard, they didn't even need to do anything ground breaking. Show us the Thunderer. Show us Yuti.
4. Fighting Ninjas. They belong here more than in DD S2.

Christ, they could have followed the same Arrow template where he arrived in NY with a mission from K'un L'un.

1. Strong fight choreography (how did DD get this so right and Iron Fist so wrong?)
2. More usage of the titular Iron Fist
3. Flashbacks to K'un L'un. Arrow literally set this standard, they didn't even need to do anything ground breaking. Show us the Thunderer. Show us Yuti.
4. Fighting Ninjas. They belong here more than in DD S2.

Ninjas were always more of a Daredevil thing than Iron Fist though. Just because they are of Asian origin or both fighting game archetypes doesn't mean martial artists and ninjas necessarily go together.

In fact, that's another issue with Iron Fist... In Daredevil, the Hand was always associated with the Yakuza, and Madame Gao had nothing to do with either of those since she ran a Triad drug operation. How the heck did those get combined somehow into this new Hand and then transformed into some kind of multi-ethnic evil X-Men knockoff?

Ninjas were always more of a Daredevil thing than Iron Fist though. Just because they are of Asian origin or both fighting game archetypes doesn't mean martial artists and ninjas necessarily go together.

In fact, that's another issue with Iron Fist... In Daredevil, the Hand was always associated with the Yakuza, and Madame Gao had nothing to do with either of those since she ran a Triad drug operation. How the heck did those get combined somehow into this new Hand and then transformed into some kind of multi-ethnic evil X-Men knockoff?

This pisses me off the most. In Daredevil Season 1, Gao and Nobu gave no indication that they were both from the same organization yet were here we are supposed to believe she was a part of the Hand the whole time?

Up to episode 8 now, and yes the action is underwhelming. And that seeps into the rest of the story, as when Danny acts threatening to others it isn't sold well. I blame the at times simple-minded script and direction, though, not the actor. Jones does well with what he has been given when not stuck with awkward action scenes that hopefully he and/or the action directors will improve next season. Limited and anticlimactic use of the Iron Fist is an issue too.

There is some interesting (and increasingly wacky) stuff with Ward and company. And, importantly, there is a clear chemistry between Jones and Hardwick as Danny and Colleen.

So, show is a bit of a mess, but entertaining enough for multitask viewing.

Quick

Banned
Finished it last night. C&P'd part of my impressions below from the Asian-GAF thread:

It wasn't bad overall, but there's just a lot of opportunities missed. Plenty of stuff left on the table to work with, and it's just the matter of someone competent making it work. I wish the Daredevil team was working on Iron Fist.

Asian cast was superb. Top marks to Jessica Henwick and Wai Ching Ho. I wish Sacha Dawan was introduced earlier, I think he could've been better served to remind Danny of his duty to K'un Lun vs. Danny just talking about it or internalizing it. Hope he gets a more prominent role in season 2.

Funny enough, I know Sacha Dawan best from An Adventure in Space and Time and Outsourced. Pleasant surprise to see him pop up in the show.

Finn Jones wasn't bad either, I'm hoping The Defenders really gives him better material.

Jessica Stroup was good, though I was hoping she'd be more prominent. Maybe season 2.

David Wenham was menacing, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that he was basically playing an over-the-top villain, with how he was delivering his lines. It works well, though. Everyone buys into Harold's stories so easily lol.

Tom Pelphrey fucking killed it. I have him and Jessica Henwick as co-MVPs of the show. At times, I found the Meachum's family drama to be even more intriguing than Danny's own problems, and it's all thanks to Pelphrey's portrayal of Ward. Anytime Ward was on screen, he had my full attention.

wSYHih7.gif

LaNaranja

Finally finished it today. My thoughts:

• Ward was totally the MVP. His plight was the highlight of the show and he owned every scene he was in.
  • I did appreciate Danny going to Colleen for help before going to the docks early in the season. A nice change of pace from the typical "I gotta do this on my own" bullshit.
  • To that end, why the fuck did Claire not offer to call Daredevil to ask for help? Dude would have shut shit down immediately. I mean I know the real world reason but it would have been nice if they had some throwaway line to explain it away.
  • Iron Fist swimming in Luke Cage's shirt. :D
  • Finn Jones is not a great actor. I think he is ok and with a good script and a good director I think he would shine but this show did not have those things. He is like a drier Stephen Amell.
  • Also there was not a single damn reason given for why Danny needed to be white. The outsider angle was not played at all. The drunken fist actor should have been cast as Iron Fist. Dude showed more charisma and personality in five minutes than Finn did in the entire series.
  • Making the Hand the main villains of this season fucking sucked. They completely sucked all the energy out of season 2 of Daredevil and they were poop in this too. You can't just keep dangling a mystery like this without giving even the slightest hint as to why they are interesting. All stick and no carrot. I really hope that they are completely gone after Defenders, or at least they stay the fuck away for all of Netflix phase 2.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
I don't really mind Claire but it felt like she was completely shoehorned in this show and then she wouldn't leave.

Claire is awful in this. I felt bad for Rosario Dawson, it's not her fault, the material is just dreadful.

I've still got another 3 episodes left but I cant see anything redeeming it at this point, there's been almost nothing to like up to this point.

I really hope Defenders can pick things up because the Netflix stuff has been steadily going downhill since Daredevil series 2. DDS2 was not bad but definitely not up to the standards of S1 or JJ. Luke Cage I thought started well
and had a great villain in Cottonmouth so I was super disappointed when they killed him off.

arrows mandatory weekly fight scenes easily surpass this without effort, what a fucking shame

Tom Pelphrey fucking killed it. I have him and Jessica Henwick as co-MVPs of the show. At times, I found the Meachum's family drama to be even more intriguing than Danny's own problems, and it's all thanks to Pelphrey's portrayal of Ward. Anytime Ward was on screen, he had my full attention.

wSYHih7.gif

This is my big gripe with this show too. the Meachums were WAYYYY more interesting than boring ass bland danny. Hell cut out danny and re title this show Netflix original 'Blood or Business' or some shit like that and you might have an emmy winner in the future.

I finished this last night. It's watchable and no where near the disaster its made out to be, but on a quality level, it's really substandard compared to the other Marvel series. Even when the second half of Luke Cage fell off a quality cliff, even when Daredevil was spread too thinly, when Jessica Jones felt a few episodes too long, you still felt like it was a good experience overall. Iron Fist just feels so disposable and unnecessary.

I would be incredibly surprised if there's a season 2 announcement anytime soon.

yeah, Claire just seems to be pointless in this. She just complains and patches people up every now an then. I don't remember her being this whiny on Luke Cage or JJ or Daredevil.

Finished it last night. C&P'd part of my impressions below from the Asian-GAF thread:

It wasn't bad overall, but there's just a lot of opportunities missed. Plenty of stuff left on the table to work with, and it's just the matter of someone competent making it work. I wish the Daredevil team was working on Iron Fist.

Asian cast was superb. Top marks to Jessica Henwick and Wai Ching Ho. I wish Sacha Dawan was introduced earlier, I think he could've been better served to remind Danny of his duty to K'un Lun vs. Danny just talking about it or internalizing it. Hope he gets a more prominent role in season 2.

Funny enough, I know Sacha Dawan best from An Adventure in Space and Time and Outsourced. Pleasant surprise to see him pop up in the show.

Finn Jones wasn't bad either, I'm hoping The Defenders really gives him better material.

Jessica Stroup was good, though I was hoping she'd be more prominent. Maybe season 2.

David Wenham was menacing, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that he was basically playing an over-the-top villain, with how he was delivering his lines. It works well, though. Everyone buys into Harold's stories so easily lol.

wSYHih7.gif

Pelphrey was great in Banshee! Job from Banshee also makes a cameo as
The Thunderer
who is great. Ward had the most compelling arc in the show. Starts off as an asshole and as you learn more about him you realize he just got dealt a shitty hand
sorry.

Honestly, I got the same feeling watching this that I got from the first half of Agents of SHIELD S1. As in, there are a lot of individual things wrong with it, some a matter of speciifc scenes or plot points, some that drag down the entire show, but the pervasive, overwhelming sense I get while watching it is that the whole thing just feels soulless, like there's no guiding creative vision at all and it exists solely to fulfill a corporate mandate.

The other Netflix shows had their share of problems, but I can't say that about any of them.

I'll wait to see what Defenders does with the character before I declare that this take on him is truly irredeemable, but even if a hypothetical S2 has a more competent showrunner and doesn't actively avoid the most interesting aspects of his mythos, there's a lot of baggage left to drag down whoever might pick up the ball from here.

Theorry

Dont know why got it bad reviews really. Its no Daredevil or Jessica Jones. But it was better then Luke Cage. Its a shame tho we get mentions of the other Defenders. But would have been cool to have some show ups also.

Yeah I'm on episode 8 and I think the reactions were overblown. Show is not groundbreaking but I wouldn't call it boring. The fight scenes are definitely the biggest disappointment but I think episode 6 was the only one so far with really underwhelming fights. I like pretty much all the characters.

If the show did a lot more showing and not telling with Kun'Lun and they hired better choreographer and cinematographer for the fights, it would have so much more potential.

Corpekata

Banned
"The fight scenes are definitely the biggest disappointment but I think episode 6 was the only one so far with really underwhelming fights"

Isn't this the episode where the fight scenes are the central focus of the episode? That should have been the series showcase, not the low point.

"The fight scenes are definitely the biggest disappointment but I think episode 6 was the only one so far with really underwhelming fights"

Isn't this the episode where the fight scenes are the central focus of the episode? That should have been the series showcase, not the low point.

Yeah, they dropped the ball big time with that episode. It's not enough to kill the show for me because I can still enjoy the characters but I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping off after that episode. It is definitely emblematic of all the overall problems with the show.

Really? His acting was pretty bad to me. Like straight out of one of those video game fighting movies.

Yup, log rolls to a leg cross on the floor and booty bumps don't equal drunken fist. That was a really terrible example for what could have been a stand out scene.

I imagine that's more of a limitation on Finn and the IF stunt directors than anything else. Lewis Tan himself has been studying martial arts for over 12 years with his main study being Kung-Fu via his father and branching into Mauy Thai for a bit.

After episode 6, I've realized why the fight scenes bug me so much. They feel like 90s Hollywood "martial arts" fight scenes - like all the fights in episode 6 seem choreographed by the same person that did the Mortal Kombat movie fights. Which were cool when I was 12 but technically they're kind of floaty and lack real impact. And then there's this random ass switching of rooms just because to change up the scenery, and the cinematography is all fast cuts to make it look like things are happening faster.

I'm still enjoying the show, but man they need to work on who they choose for fight choreography and cinematography.

Looks like this show should have no trouble getting a season two. Allegedly, it was one of Netflix's most binge watched shows of this year. Here's the article if anyone is interested.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/03/31/marvels-iron-fist-was-netflixs-most-binge-watched-drama

Here's a choice quote from the article.

"The actual streams data tells us that what critics consider the best shows and what streaming viewers consider the best are sometimes two very different things," said 7Park Data senior analyst Christopher Coby.

I actually felt the same way. It was the most bingeable of all the Netflix marvel shows for me. The quickest one I finished. I found the others a chore to watch more than a few episodes at a time but this one had me pretty engaged.

El Topo

I would be very careful with claims from 3rd party analysts. I don't find the core claim unbelievable, but I would rather hear that from Netflix.

Well at least he can't be as charmless as Luke cage. Right?

All the way from page one. and actually no he wasn't!

Danny was probably the worst written character in the show and absolutely thick as pig shit.
He couldn't figure out Harold was the big bad after ward told him that he sent the DEA.

Also Harold had won at that point, so why do that to Danny anyway?

The race thing didn't matter in the end like I suspected. I thought they could have gone with Danny being the expert in the Oriental and Colleen the expert in street smarts and modern life. He had been in a monetary for 15 years..

The fighting was poor to medicate to ok depending on the scene, I think poor Finn Jones had no time to train, and the two chi shot was a bit too much.

The show was logically inconsistent, he should have been an ass kicking machine without the iron fist.

They missed the opportunity for a level up in powers in the final episode. Maybe both hand gets the iron fist, or temporarily his whole body. Of the fist gets and actual flame for a moment.

Claire and the no killing lecturing, dear Jesus fuck off. And Danny should have been happy to kill hand members ffs.

And why is madame gao in the hand?

BUT, despite all that I enjoyed it. More so than Luke cage.

Jessica Henwick is bae. Ward started a bit stupid but became the best character and actor on the show.

The problems are well noted, the writing, the fight scenes, some characterisation and they made the actual iron fist look lame.

I think they need to stop being shy of the source material and take a note from agents of shield.

Top Bottom