• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Did I miss where they explain why Shades is treated as a badass? His intro in the beginning make it seem like he would be the the physical menace, but he barely shows any physical prowess outside of the prison beatdown and almsot getting choked to death on an elevator.

“What type of Jean Paul Gaultier shit is this? What are you, a pimp stormtrooper?”
313m3x4.gif

that line was so fucking funny

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Watched this over the weekend. Enjoyable with a lot of great things to it, but I think it's the weakest, or second weakest, Marvel season so far, and I actually like Luke Cage here quite a bit unlike his rather poor showing in JJ.

For me I'd say: DD>JJ>LC=/>DD2

The whole overarching plot was pretty underwhelming, characters were all pretty universally good, except for the main villain. Diamondback and that whole twist was just terrible and cheap feeling. Far too cartoony. Cottonmouth, Shades and Mariah were better, but rather mehh adversaries though for a man who is invulnerable, but they were at least, especially Cottonmouth, somewhat interesting. Not that a corrupt city councilman with a underworld relative is all that frightening and original. Misty is just a terrible cop. Pops was cool for about 5 seconds until it was abundantly clear he was going to get murked for the sake of Luke Cage's destiny.

Action was honestly kind of bad. The only really good sequence was when the dude punched him in Genghis Connies and just mutilated his hand and forearm, everything else was rather ho hum. Especially compared to the pretty great fight choreography in DD. They just never really did anything interesting with the fights to showcase Luke's powers. Great you shoot up his clothes every episode, gets old.

JJ was probably the weakest actual overall structurally because it was about 50-60% filler, but the main conflict was the best so far. Mr. Purple and his relationship with Jessica was the best by a long shot, it just wasn't enough to fill out 13 episodes and so you had a lot of pointless stuff happen in between. Like Luke Cage.

DD1 was the overall strongest, but season 2 got a case of the stupids at times and the whole supernatural aspects just felt off by the end. Also the DD suit is the worst thing ever.

I am interested to see where they take Luke. A bit underwhelmed that Mariah and Shades are still at play. The doc of course has his research info; welcome back actually super powered Diamondback.

The Hobo

"The system is letting Mariah walk out the door." Nah, sorry Misty. You purposefully went outside the system. You don't get to turn around and blame it when it then can't work.

Luke declining a lawyer was annoying. Just feeds into the perception the public has that asking for a lawyer makes you look guilty.

deleted

Puh, this show is a quality rollercoaster.

It goes from good to soap opera in the span of one episode. It's the same feeling I had when I was watching Dexter.
They seem to have an A writing team that puts out the bullet points and writes out certain plot strings and a B team that fills in the blanks in the worst way possible.

The show points out certain valuable ideas and story beats only to follow it up with the subtlety of a bulldozer.
The writing is so bad at times when every characters has to say how he feels or what he's up to, Mariah being one of the worst offenders in that regard.
No 'show don't tell' at all.
Diamondback being a weird Candyman lookalike that behaves like he watched some Saturday morning cartoons to put together a 'what doesn't work as a crime lord' guidebook.

That being said, the Soundtrack hits all the right notes, when they get introduced the characters are charming and interesting at worst and most of the first two episodes make it seem like the show could be something special. It just sadly doesn't live up to those 2 episodes.

As far as I'm concerned, Marvel/Netflix is 2/4 so far. Both DareDevil seasons where mostly on the good side, JJ and Luke Cage are just sometimes able to show their potential.
Hopefully they are able to make 8-10 episode seasons for their next shows, because that would solve most of the big issues that come up.

Laekon

Just watched episode 8 and I think I'm done. After getting shot now all of a sudden he feels pain from everything? Well except when he sticks a scalpel in his wound and it bends, that was no big deal. But then a guy kicks him in the balls and that puts him on his knees? Anyone he punches in other scenes just goes down for the count, Now he can throw a guy through a door and into a column and that motherfucker just has a limp?

I can't stand when there is a good show and they just throw in some stupid shit to keep it going.

Zekes!

am the only one who loves Diamondback? I saw a lot of people mentioning him a negative while I was still making my way through the show, but damn, he hams it up in the best way possible.

cj_iwakura

THIS is wasted potential: the TV show, easily. The first half is great, the second half... all over the damn place. Diamondback felt ridiculously untouchable. Mariah would have made a stronger villain, instead they sat on it for- survey says, a season 2.

The highs are high, the lows are damn low, even the cast commented on how damn ridiculous Diamondback EX was.

DD1 > JJ > DD2 = Luke Cage.

Finally finished.

Cottonmouth really was the best part of the show.

I heard about the crappy power suit but I was not prepared. I know its only a TV show but damn Marvel. Open the wallet a little. That thing looked like a stuffed janitor uniform.

I would still say I liked it more then Jessica Jones though. Not a lot of bad stuff in Luke Cage. At worse it got a bit boring and predicable. With Jones I really had to push through it.

cj_iwakura

Finally finished.

I heard about the crappy power suit but I was not prepared. I know its only a TV show but damn Marvel. Open the wallet a little. That thing looked like a stuffed janitor uniform.

I would still say I liked it more then Jessica Jones though. Not a lot of bad stuff in Luke Cage. At worse it got a bit boring and predicable. With Jones I really had to push through it.

Jessica Jones had ups and downs, but it ended strong. It just dragged too long. Luke Cage started at the top and gradually went down hill.

Also, I'm kind of pissed they set him up with Claire. I expected JJ back. They're probably throwing Luke/Jessica out the window.

(And that 'no ties to other shows' crap, lol. There were references to damn near every other show.)

The Kree

Banned
Finally finished.

Marvel doesn't pay to make these shows, Netflix does. And I think they spent all the money on music licensing.

Quick

Banned
After the WTF of Episode 8, I thought Episode 9 and 10 were a lot better.

Diamondback feels like a massive misstep. Cottonmouth should've been the main villain throughout. Though I do like the idea of Mariah taking over operations and getting her hands dirty.

Claire has been a good addition in this half of the season.

Shades remains one of the best characters in the show. Never cracking, smartest guy in the room, it's almost funny seeing him "crack" a little (just standing unflinching vs. standing and smiling) when Diamondback pointed a gun at him.

Hogger

Man that last episode was awful. Terrible fight scene to start it off and a terrible conclusion with Willis still being alive and in the care of the Dr. from Seagate. It's okay to kill off characters that suck.

It finally hit me after finishing the show that real people with real money manged to put the Serpent Society in live action. What a world we live in.

Especially after Marvel poked fun at it a few years back:

Dr.JayP

Sorry for the bump guys, but does anyone know what kind of coat Shades wears in episode 11? That badass one he wears when he escapes getting strangled in the elevator? I need it!

Finally got around to this.
Guess I feel the same as most as it just got weaker as it went on.
Felt the entire ending was absolutely horrendous however.
DDs2 might be technically worse though.

Finally finished.

I enjoyed the show but Jesus that suit is bad, one of the worst things I have seen on all the current tv series.

How the heck is HammerTech still around after the IM2 situation, all his stuff being shitty and defective and he himself is in prison.

Top Bottom