• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels Secret Wars by Hickman & Ribic |OT| Everything ends... Everything begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furyous

People don't give a shit about the Ultimate universe outside of Miles. You should be happy that this was the Ultimate U's send off instead of just having 616 Galactus eat Ultimate Earth in a book no one was reading.

I read through the thread and had to stop right here. I WILL NOT LET YOU DEFAME THE ULTIMATE UNIVERSE DAMMIT.

UU brought us:

Miles and resulting rage.
A realistic version of the X-Men
Kitty Pryde leading ass leader with excellent use of her powers.
Great storylines

---

Questions on ending:

Can someone explain
how the Maker was made into pizza and eaten by Molecule Man only to wind up alive in Doom's body at the end?

How does Molecule Man pay back Miles?

What are the moments in this series that writers could use for the What If that comes inside of five years if it happens?

Anyone up for a book club after this thread goes back to Community?

I am up for it.

Dalek

I read through the thread and had to stop right here. I WILL NOT LET YOU DEFAME THE ULTIMATE UNIVERSE DAMMIT.

UU brought us:

Great storylines

---

Questions on ending:

Can someone explain
how the Maker was made into pizza and eaten by Molecule Man only to wind up alive in Doom's body at the end?

What are the moments in this series that writers could use for the What If that comes inside of five years if it happens?

I am up for it.

what_the_hell_am_i_reading__by_pepper124-d7ry82r.jpg

Anyways...he pays back Miles by inserting him in the Prime Universe, and rewriting history so that Miles's mom is still alive.

Can someone explain

how high are you right now?

presumably by
bringing his mother back. Parker mentions it in passing at the end of the issue, but its a big reveal in ultimate end

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

UU brought us:

Great storylines

---

early ultimate universe was good. i didnt care for the ultimates, but i liked f4 and spider man. but it fell. hard. it was just a shambling corpse looking for a way out in the end. but the sad thing is that the remaining good the universe had, they let die with it instead of exiling them along with miles. the young x-men as well as young avengers could have had a much better home in the 616

Neoxon

I'll add to the consensus that you all should read Infinity Gauntlet if you read any of the Secret Wars tie-in books. It also helps that it has one of my favorite Star-Lord designs & what could be my favorite Gamora design.

kswiston

early ultimate universe was good. i didnt care for the ultimates, but i liked f4 and spider man. but it fell. hard. it was just a shambling corpse looking for a way out in the end. but the sad thing is that the remaining good the universe had, they let die with it instead of exiling them along with miles. the young x-men as well as young avengers could have had a much better home in the 616

Early ultimate universe definitely gets a pass. However, a lot of that stuff has aged pretty poorly outside of Bendis on Ultimate Spidey. I liked Millar's X-Men and Ultimates run when they were first being published, but in retrospect they are typical Millar stories/characters with good art. Tons of shallow narcissistic assholes. Tons of mean spirited stuff happening.

BKV's run on Ultimate X-Men was decent, if cut too short.

Jonogunn

Man I'm quite confused after reading that.

The ending was awesome though. Just goes to show how much the FF and Doom belong in the MCU.

Doom would be a perfect phase 4 villain and his rivalry with Reed IMO is what makes the fantastic four interesting.

So do any of the comics after secrets wars explain exactly what happened with the new world? What happened to t'challa? Did he use the stone to help retain his memories while he warped back to the new world? Do the incursions still happen? Which characters remember and which don't? What exactly is created in this new universe? Just earth and nothing so far?

Brainhurts...

Sadist

Man I'm quite confused after reading that.

The ending was awesome though. Just goes to show how much the FF and Doom belong in the MCU.

Doom would be a perfect phase 4 villain and his rivalry with Reed IMO is what makes the fantastic four interesting.

So do any of the comics after secrets wars explain exactly what happened with the new world? What happened to t'challa? Did he use the stone to help retain his memories while he warped back to the new world? Do the incursions still happen? Which characters remember and which don't? What exactly is created in this new universe? Just earth and nothing so far?

Brainhurts...
As of right now most issues of ANAD jump ahead eight months later; most heroes seem to remember the end of the world thing, but not Battleworld itself. The end of the world didn't happen (I guess everyone assumes it was resolved) and life just went on. As of right now, I guess Singularity (Debuted in A-Force), Miles, Reed, Molecule Man, Doom, Panther and probably a few others remember Battleworld.

duckroll

I don't think what happened between the 8 months really matter as much as it happened and now the Prime Universe exists. This isn't some complex thing which needs detailed explanations. The story of Secret Wars was about the nature of recreating a universe and the responsibility of being a god. Everything else was just window dressing.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dr Strange 1 was dope, but such a tonal shift from the dark story we've all been reading him in. I know all is fair in this universal upheaval, but I was digging his 'sell parts of my soul for great power' stuff.

Mafro

Dr Strange 1 was dope, but such a tonal shift from the dark story we've all been reading him in. I know all is fair in this universal upheaval, but I was digging his 'sell parts of my soul for great power' stuff.
Thats what I felt too. Scarlet Witch is more the kind of stuff I was expecting Dr Strange's solo series to be like.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Vision #1 was as good as everyone is saying. god damn, that was great!

what do i read to understand the things leading up to this? ie, where did Vision's wifes brainwaves come from, the crazy rantings of the Grim Reaper, etc - or do i just keep reading Vision and it'll get explained?

Thats what I felt too. Scarlet Witch is more the kind of stuff I was expecting Dr Strange's solo series to be like.

yeah, i'll finish up the first 5 issue arc and wait til later for the rest.

can someone explain to me the new trend on these covers? art, coloring and style just looks sort of bad. Seems like marvel opened up to a lot of different art styles and color styles. Not saying I'm digging it though.

Curios what happened as a fan of 70's to 2000 style comics

can someone explain to me the new trend on these covers? art, coloring and style just looks sort of bad. Seems like marvel opened up to a lot of different art styles and color styles. Not saying I'm digging it though.

Can you give us examples of what covers you like? There's a lot of variance in Marvel comics covers nowadays.

Can you give us examples of what covers you like? There's a lot of variance in Marvel comics covers nowadays.
I like a lot of the spawn stuff. most of the 80's batman.

Enjoyed that release of ghost rider around the late 80's early 90's as well. I just feel the style from what I see in the OP looks quite different and not as good in a lot of ways. I was just wonderig what caused the change. Looks a lot closer to anime in a lot of ways and the coloring style looks more simple in a lot of aspects in those in the OP

I need to pick up a few books and get out and look in the near future as well

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Which covers?

Surely not the gorgeous main Secret Wars covers by Alex Ross?

KfiJu4m.png

Some of them look ok but things like this. Just the art , style and coloring doesn't look nearly as good as the old stuff to me. Face looks funny and the coloring looks closer to cell shading than anything to me.

spawn200_cover_liefeld.jpg

1180849386987282024.jpg

looks way more stylized, must be a new trend marvel started doing
ths isn't that great but i do like it better.

Just seems there was a transition in style over the years that caught me off guard

This ends up looking a bit ugly to me personally. sorry if i ofend anyone

Secret_Wars_1_pg_3.jpg

and this face looks awful, what is going on in todays comics? I dont really get it I guess

secret-wars-avengers-1.jpg

I thought marvel cared about faces, hands in their books. I just feel confused.

Dalek

the-life-and-times-of-jean-grey.png

Thor_God_of_Thunder_Vol_1_9_Textless.jpg

Old_Man_Logan_1_Preview_2.jpg

Marvel's doing just fine.

That Avengers cover is an homage to The Ultimates from about 15 years ago.

AVENGERS-41-Final-Cover-cd465.jpg

latest

Also, I realize it's preference, but Todd McFarlane isn't who I would hold up as an example of good artwork.

That Spawn cover is straight fire. I always loved McFarlane's designs. Plus the McFarlane universe produced THE best action figures when I was a kid in the 90s, bar none.

What about these though?

Like I said, there's a lot of variety to comics in terms of art styles nowadays.

I'd suggest reading the Thor: God of Thunder run for some nice art.

I really like good detailed pencils, forms inks and nice color work.

Some of the forms of these arent really my favorite styles.

That cap piece just doesnt look great to be in face and other basic human looks as well

the-life-and-times-of-jean-grey.png

pencil work here isnt bad but why are they dong this solid color look? that is what I am seeing a lot of and I don't get? It is work load savings? money budgets? I dunno realy

I am a pencil and ink guy though (as personal preferences will play a large role)

But this sort of work seems to be missing a lot more often on a lot off these comics i see recently. Going for a lot more styles. Not saying its bad just not what i prefer on comics

Batman_David_Finch.jpg

for me though, that cap piece just looks no where near as good

ba1d0072eacf966e9178a5ac000.jpg

KfiJu4m.png

Some of them look ok but things like this. Just the art , style and coloring doesn't look nearly as good as the old stuff to me. Face looks funny and the coloring looks closer to cell shading than anything to me.

spawn200_cover_liefeld.jpg

1180849386987282024.jpg

looks way more stylized, must be a new trend marvel started doing
ths isn't that great but i do like it better.

Just seems there was a transition in style over the years that caught me off guard

This ends up looking a bit ugly to me personally. sorry if i ofend anyone

Secret_Wars_1_pg_3.jpg

and this face looks awful, what is going on in todays comics? I dont really get it I guess

secret-wars-avengers-1.jpg

I thought marvel cared about faces, hands in their books. I just feel confused.
Such a transparent troll post. You need to try a little harder.

90s image art was mostly trash and doesn't hold up.

'Why is this Hitch art bad? Why can't it be like this Liefield fellow?'

Ayyy

Such a transparent troll post. You need to try a little harder.

90s image art was mostly trash and doesn't hold up.

'Why is this Hitch art bad? Why can't it be like this Liefield fellow?'

Ayyy

The Spawn cover is from 2011 though :X

90s Image Comics (Spawn especially) did do a really good job with coloring for the most part. Compared to Marvel and DC, they were light years ahead in terms of adopting digital coloring and better quality paper. I remember this cover in particular standing out next to Marvel and DC who were still doing 4 color comics the way they always did them.

The Spawn cover is from 2011 though :X

90s Image Comics (Spawn especially) did do a really good job with coloring for the most part. Compared to Marvel and DC, they were light years ahead in terms of adopting digital coloring and better quality paper. I remember this cover in particular standing out next to Marvel and DC who were still doing 4 color comics the way they always did them.

uh, if you were actually around any buying comics during the 90s image heyday, you'd realize that there was a big quality jump sure- but image was absolutely PLAGUED with delays on books that went months at a time

The partners had little business or management experience, and many series fell behind their intended publishing schedule.[16][note 1] Comparing them to vaporware, one reader reported that 17 of the 36 delayed items in his December 1992 order were from Image.[17] Retailers' orders of newly offered issues were typically based on the sales of recent issues, but as the issues shipped weeks and even several months late, fans' interest tended to wane, leaving retailers with unsold inventory. In response, retailers cut orders to reduce their risk. This significantly hurt the studios, which were each responsible for their own cash flow and profitability.[18] In late 1993, the partners hired independent cartoonist Larry Marder to act as "executive director" for the publisher;[19] Valentino quipped in interviews that Marder's job was literally to "direct the executives" (i.e. the Image partners). Marder developed better financial planning and had some success in disciplining creators to deliver their work on time, in part by insisting that retail orders for new issues would not be solicited until the books had been illustrated, usually ensuring they would be ready to ship when promised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Comics

So yeah, Image had the luxury to make their books prettier than what marvel was putting out, but Marvel didn't leave you waiting 6 months between WildCats 3 and 4.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
uh, if you were actually around any buying comics during the 90s image heyday, you'd realize that there was a big quality jump sure- but image was absolutely PLAGUED with delays on books that went months at a time

So yeah, Image had the luxury to make their books prettier than what marvel was putting out, but Marvel didn't leave you waiting 6 months between WildCats 3 and 4.

yeah i was into some of the image books but man , i just gave up with them being stocked so sporadically, i liked Cyberforce too...

Liefeld actually had to apologize for how bad Youngblood #1 was too. He also placed the blame almost entirely on his friend who he hired to write the dialogue for him, fired him and had the trade paperback re-dialogued. What a guy.

Rob Liefeld said:
“Youngblood #1 was a disaster, period, end of story. Put it behind me. It will always exist, but disaster. I worked with a friend, who I let go after that, who scripted the book. And when we reprint the first four issues, or zero through four, the whole probably will be rescripted and people will see how different, a different script on top of it. I did not write that. People, I was doing on that what I did on X-Force. I plotted it, and Fabian Nicieza would come in and script on me on X-Force. I plotted Youngblood #1, and I wanted two stories on each side. Little things like `To be continued’ didn’t get stamped down in the right places. I mean, that was a production problem, but the writing–you know the whole package, I look back and I go, you know, never gonna shake it that I can acknowledge that it didn’t turn out the way it was supposed to. Two, three and four, I’ll hold them up against any other comic book in terms of there’s a story going along, and the characters are wrapped up in it, battle one large villain character, and it was resolved.”

I think history has shown that Rob Liefeld's friend's dialogue was not the problem with this comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom