• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

I'm interested in their take on this new villain in The Avengers 2.

A lot of comic book heroes and villains are hard to depict in a live action way that will make sense to people who don't follow the comics.

castlegar

As Marvel post-credits scenes tend-or-are-intended to cater to more hardcore fans, I think this is fine. Having it mid-credits is weird as most people will stay to watch it, and in this case probably not understand, but it saves the former waiting twenty minutes.

As Marvel post-credits scenes tend-or-are-intended to cater to more hardcore fans, I think this is fine. Having it mid-credits is weird as most people will stay to watch it, and in this case probably not understand, but it saves the former waiting twenty minutes.

Slightly related, did anyone stay until the very end to see if there was anything else?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just navigated SHH to see if they had any reports. Nothing after the credits. Anyone think it's possible they might add something to the U.S. release?

shira

I'm interested in their take on this new villain in The Avengers 2.

A lot of comic book heroes and villains are hard to depict in a live action way that will make sense to people who don't follow the comics.
Zod was done well. But if you do supernatural/magic beings you better damn well do them right.

Bad: venom, juggernaut, dead pool, gl, Phoenix, galactus, dd, etc

People are always begging for Darkseid vs superman but that's ridiculous. You can't have demigods without explaining their backstory and limitations. People can't relate.

Sidzed2

Saw this in 2D today, and walked out with a smile on my face. Whedon's light, pacy and humorous touch makes The Avengers a joy to sit through, and it's two hour duration fly by. The film feels a little stage-bound, particularly early on, but by the time the climax rolls round there will be few who won't be invested in the action. Black Widow and Hawkeye feel like distractions, but the big four, particularly Hulk and Iron Man, come off splendidly and their interactions are really rewarding.

In short - witty dialogue, big laughs, great special effects work, a tight script and breezy direction make The Avengers the best Marvel film to date. It may not have the substance or resonance of XMen First Class, but it delivers on the laughs and spectacle in a big way, and makes good on its crazy superhero team-up premise.

4 out 5 stars.

jey_16

Banned
Just got back from a 2d screening. It was good but not great, action scenes looked fantastic and there were some genuine jaw dropping moments. It did drag though and felt a bit too long
(especially them fighting between themselves on the carrier)
, the one liners got old fast as well. The one thing I was thinking about after leaving the cinema is that the only character I was actually interested in was Iron Man, everyone else was forgettable. My comments sound overly negative compared to how good a film it is, it's a terrific action blockbuster and I think a lot of people will love it, it's just not the type of film that i was able to form an emotional connection too and care about what happens to the characters but then again, very few films do that.

Nah, it pretty much only sounds ridiculous ;)

While we're at it, what is up with Batman movies and that stupid 'Batman voice'. I mean, it makes for great jokes and all, but imo it's so cheesy and silly. The cartoons never did that :/

Yes, the cartoons did do it. It was just done better. Pay attention to the difference between Conroy's Batman voice and Bruce Wayne voice.

noah111

Still Alive
Isn't there going to be a Vision movie made? I seem to remember something about that.
002VIS.bmp

I'd die for this.

Isn't there going to be a Vision movie made? I seem to remember something about that.
002VIS.bmp

I'd die for this.

I cant see them making a Vision movie work. Just give us Pym, Ultron, and Vision in an Avengers sequel.

Marvel can pimp out
Thanos and the cosmic threats
all they want.
And honestly, you have nowhere to go for the threat level but down after Thanos.
I want an Avengers movie with Ultron as the bad guy.
2.jpg

Just base it on the Busiek/Perez Ultron story and you have one totally kick ass action movie right there. Just this moment alone would be so fucking awesome to see in a movie with a packed house. The place would explode with cheers:
Quoted for size said:

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the cartoons did do it. It was just done better. Pay attention to the difference between Conroy's Batman voice and Bruce Wayne voice.

Now that you say it, yeah, they really did, a bit more subtle and way less awkward, but yeah.

Now that you say it, yeah, they really did, a bit more subtle and way less awkward, but yeah.

That's because Batman TAS>all other adaptations.

And Batman TAS Joker>>>>>all others.

If they were somehow able to tie Wanda in there, it could be interesting. But yeah, you're prob. right.

Wanda is a mutant, so we probably wont get her until Marvel gets the mutants back from Fox. And honestly, Wanda would be completely broken in a movie. And you can't have her without Quicksilver.

mrkgoo

Just got back from seeing Avengers.

So good!

I loved it.

For perspective, I'm actually a big fan of most superhero movies, being a nerd. I do feel some of the earlier 'recent' ones, such as Spider-man 1+2, and X-Men 1+2 have aged a bit, but were important milestones. Of those, I definitely think the 2nd were better.

I didn't like X3, Wolverine, and generally thought Spider-Man 3 and Superman Returns to be poor movies, although they had some fun moments.

Also:
Incredible Hulk > Ang Lee Hulk
Batman Begins > TDK (although Joker is phenomenal, and perhaps best performance in any hero movie).
Iron-Man > Iron-Man 2

And I really enjoyed Thor and Captain America.

Nothing wrong with 'serious' super hero movies, but to me, these kinds of movies can be just as good as entertainment flicks - I don't need EVERY superhero movie to be dark, brooding and complex.

That out of the way, I LOVED Avengers on my first showing.

Hit so many right notes, and very few sour points.

All the characters are represented really well, and the story, while a bit 'shallow'
(Alien invasion? Yeah, I guess they went there, but it had to be an epic reason, and it doesn't get more epic than that really)
, it was good enough a reason to pull all of the stories together and give a reason and plot for them all to be there.

This is a milestone SuperHero flick - pulling all the big names together was going to be tough, and I think it succeeds for the most part. It really does feel like all the effort in the previous films have come together, and Avengers is a nice bookend to them.

Pros:
- Unexpectedly, I think the characters all had their moment to shine equally. I don't think Iron-Man necessarily steals the show in every scene. He's obviously the funnier one, being the wise-crack, but each and every hero has their place in the story and their moments to shine, even those that didn't have their own previous movies (I really liked Black Widow).
- Was going in expecting to not like Ruffalo-Hulk, but I was pleasantly surprised.
- Action was superb, as was effects.
-
Really nice to see more of Cap actually being Cap, a leader and a strategist!
- A lot funnier than I thought it was going to be.
- I actually liked the way the individual story lines were pulled together.
- Really good sense of pacing. A lot of things going on, but it was juggled pretty well, in regards to all the characters, the action and just enough 'story' and slow moments to keep it fun without bogging it down in complexity.
- The movie seemed a lot more brutal.
The reason why the team is finally brought together, I thought was kinda nice.
- Just all round fun. First time in a while that I really want to see a movie again at the theatres!

Cons:
- Story is kinda shallow in that sort of 'origin' story kind of way. Don't get me wrong, I actually prefer origin stories, but typically they are a bit more lean in regards to setting up narratives, enemies, and drama, or at least in terms of rolling them in with the origin, if you get my drift.
Avengers really is an origin story in that way - sort of like the origin of the team, so it kinda feels like that.
- Some plot holes/little story points that I didn't fully get:
So how did Banner all of a sudden become a sort of 'team-mate'? I heard what he said, and I thought it was cool, but then why did he go nuts on the ship in the first place in that case?
Um...why was Cap so keen to close the portal after Iron-man sent the nuke into their mothership? They already showed most of the soldiers deactivating, and there weren't anymore coming through.
-
Ok, so where was my moment where Cap gets to pick up Thor's Hammer?
-
Hawkeye didn't really get a full character arc - he was controlled, and wanted his revenge, but never really got it.
-
I never really felt like any of the characters were in any danger, except for, ironically, Iron-Man. Everyone felt like they could easily handle themselves.

I'm going to say that while you don't HAVE to watch the other movies, I think you'll appreciate this movie much more if you have, esp. Thor, and to a lesser extent Cap, as his character needs a bit more background to appreciate.

Also, it DOES help to have a super-healthy dose of Marvel fanboyism. This really appeals to people who appreciate the characters.

Lastly, I REALLY want this movie to do well. It seems like it is a culmination of the efforts on all the previous films, and I would love to see more of this.

DoubleTap

Saw it today. It really felt like part of the previous individual films. I wish Ruffalo had his own Hulk movie. It's simply fun to watch and the team-up movie I've always wanted.

Luigiv

Just saw it. Pretty good. Each character got there moment in the spotlight which was quite masterfully. Maybe Thor was a touch overlooked but not criminally so. The movie definately has that Joss Whedon flavour. People were clapping in the theater at the jokes. Hopefully he's back for The Avengers 2.

Watching it in 3D in a cinema with great audio equipment, my favorite moments were Hulk going HAYWIRE. Every scene he's in shit is getting wrecked, bad guys, walls, offices, everything just gets fucked up in a major way. I'd watch a full on crazy Hulk movie day 1.

But I agree with mrkgoo, that
it's straight up dumb, that he's completely uncontrollable on the ship - Loke even hinges his entire escape plan on this - and then suddenly Hulk magically is able to control himself. The final fight would have been much better if Hulk was released and just started wreaking havoc everywhere, so the heroes had to dodge him or somehow turn him towards their enemies.

My second major complaint is the lack of notable villains. Yes, we have Loke, and he's cool, but the alien horde is just faceless. There should have been another powerful villain or some crazy alien commanders or heroes.

In conclusion Avengers is thoroughly entertaining and should definitely be watched in cinemas.

Reprise

Neo Member
Just also came out of the movie, I liked it though it was a touch awkward in the beginning, it ramped up to be really good by the end.

Hulk stole it for me
especially the "puny god" bit which got the biggest reaction out of the audience in the session I was in.
but he's one of my favourites so i may be biased!

I kinda felt bad for Cobie Smulders, i was half expecting a "Ted, what do you think about this" to come out all the time. it's hard for actors who have been the one character for a long time (spoilering this so I don't wreck for anybody else)

Our session was pretty busy, but the queue for the 3D was huge, never seen a line that big for our local movie theater so it'll probably do real well.

Just a small rant, but why oh do people bring 3 yr old kids to a movie that's rated M ?!?! ... they just ruin a quiet scene with their crying and tantrums.

Is their a Hulk-centric movie in development yet?

Pretty much everyone is saying he's the best part of the movie, come the fuck on Marvel Studios.

Reprise

Neo Member
I think he was better here than previous incarnations because he had others to bounce off, whereas he was sorta on his own in other movies.

Slayven

People just like Nolan Batman because he made the first good but also completely serious superhero movie. A lot of people feel that the more light-hearted approach to superheroes makes them too childish for their mature tastes.

I think that's the wrong way to look at these movies. All superhero movies, no matter how hard they try to make them realistic, contain a ton of ridiculous things that are harder to accept when they play it totally straight.

I hate the expectation all superhero movies should be grimdark, not all superheroes are in the same tone. Ironic since the The Dark Knight did the same thing to comics for a whole decade.

Just saw it in 2D and I enjoyed it a lot.
Highlights for me was Banner being a scientist thought I do have to agree that I didn't like it at the end when
The Hulk suddenly only attacked the bad guys, I mean at least have him attack the others for a bit.

Lyonaz

Watched it last night in 3D and loved the movie. Sure it did drag on a bit in the beginning, with the heroes assembling and bickering. But the action scenes were great. Also Joss Whedon sure knows how to make the women kick ass.

My favourite characters were Loki, Iron Man and the Hulk, who got the best audience reaction with his scenes. The Hulk was just amazing in this movie.

Replicant

Just saw it. So much fun and it's better than each individual hero's movie(s) combined. Will write better review once I got home and not typing on my iPhone's shitty keyboard.

Solo

Oh BTW, my friend pointed out last night that Silvestri's score for the film sounded like an old Bond score. Bombastic and over the top Bond score.

I didn't really notice.

Alan Silvestri isn't fit to polish the coffin of the dearly departed John Barry. Your friend? He mad.

Whedonites are numerous and VERY sensitive it seems, but the Nolan Force is much stronger and vocal on GAF.

I am a fan of Nolan and not one of Whedon, but Nolan Force does annoy me to high heaven. Just as much as the Whedonites.

I couldn't agree with this post more. Both camps are tiring my patience but the Nolan camp on GAF is particularly annoying. I like Nolan's stuff too.

Raonak

Banned
Never thought i'd ever care about hulk after i saw the 2003 movie. But boy. He is the highlight of the movie. Extremely suprised.

Pretty good movie. Story is shallow as fuck, but whatever. Definetly no The Dark Knight, but takes second place interms of favourite superhero movie.

JGS

Banned
Although the reviews are great, it seems Avengers is tailored to a specific group.
Reprise said:
I think he was better here than previous incarnations because he had others to bounce off, whereas he was sorta on his own in other movies.
Well, the last Hulk movie sucked. A Hulk movie on his own would be pretty awesome if they could figure out either to focus on the people trying to stop him (They should be seen as the good guys too) or focus on Banner's struggles with it like Ang Lee's movie (AKA the good Hulk movie) at least tried to do.

Tobor

Although the reviews are great, it seems Avengers is tailored to a specific group.Well, the last Hulk movie sucked. A Hulk movie on his own would be pretty awesome if they could figure out either to focus on the people trying to stop him (They should be seen as the good guys too) or focus on Banner's struggles with it like Ang Lee's movie (AKA the good Hulk movie) at least tried to do.

What? No. michaelscottnoooooooo.gif

Saw it.

Fucking loved it. It's not massively deep, but it's got fuck-awesome action all the way through. Everyone gets good screentime. Hulk steals the show.

Also, the dialogue is just Whedony enough for it be great, and not for it to make you groan with how fucking clever everyone is (Cabin In The Woods).

All this talk about the Hulk got me thinking again...

How the hell did Banner find the rest of the team for the climatic fight scene? We see him drop into a deserted barn in the middle of nowhere and talk to some old fella and then the next scene he rides a moped into the middle of a warzone and is all like, sup guys.
For that matter, how did Thor find the rest of the crew? Did he use his Asgard powers to locate his brother? I don't know, that bit really annoyed me though.

Although the reviews are great, it seems Avengers is tailored to a specific group.Well, the last Hulk movie sucked. A Hulk movie on his own would be pretty awesome if they could figure out either to focus on the people trying to stop him (They should be seen as the good guys too) or focus on Banner's struggles with it like Ang Lee's movie (AKA the good Hulk movie) at least tried to do.
Hulk's problems is that they did two fucking origin movies and no one wants to see that shit. They just need a Hulk movie where he non-stop tears shit up, with Bruce obviously having some kind of dilemma about letting him loose as the b-plot.

Tobor

Hulk's problems is that they did two fucking origin movies and no one wants to see that shit. They just need a Hulk movie where he non-stop tears shit up, with Bruce obviously having some kind of dilemma about letting him loose as the b-plot.

Incredible Hulk wasn't an origin movie. Did you even see it?

Shaneus

So, just came from this after basically hearing nothing about it (yes, I was even surprised that Ed Norton wasn't Hulk). But really fucking enjoyed it. No nerdgasms or anything over here, just a sweet-arse movie.

BTW
Anybody else call the credits rolling over the Stark building's "a" after the other four letters got demolished? I picked up on that as soon as it happened. I'm such a legend.

The Incredible Hulk was not an origin movie.

We have scenes with Hulk tearing shit up at the beginning, middle and end. It's a good Hulk movie but there was a lot of room for improvement.

The Ang Lee Hulk didn't get anything right from a comic book perspective and the final fight was a jumbled mess on screen.

They aren't doing another Hulk movie.

The buzz from this film may spark another one. Nothing in development at the moment.

They aren't doing another Hulk movie.

Why?

Thor and Captain America, both heroes that are lesser known and have a way smaller fan base than the Hulk, are getting more movies.

I know Hulk 03 was a mild failure and TIH didn't set the world ablaze, but I still think there's insane amounts of potential there.

It'd be great to see a Hulk movie where Banner is in full control of the Hulk from the beginning.

DoctorWho said:
The buzz from this film may spark another one. Nothing in development at the moment.
Fingers crossed.

Slayven

Why?

Thor and Captain America, both heroes that are lesser known and have a way smaller fan base than the Hulk, are getting more movies.

I know Hulk 03 was a mild failure and TIH didn't set the world ablaze, but I still think there're insane amounts of potential there.

It'd be great to see a Hulk movie where Banner is in full control of the Hulk from the beginning.

Banner Hulk is puny. Merged Hulk, Mr. Fixit, or Green Scar is the only options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom