• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw it. Great fun and HILARIOUS movie. Hulk stole the show

Question though

What did Hulk say after he smashed Loki?
Who did we see after the credits?

JdFoX187

Banned
Edit: Does anyone know when the Blu-Ray is coming out?

Had to be careful replying to this without reading spoilers haha.

If the previous films are anything to go by, this should be out in some time around mid to late September. But those were all distributed by Paramount, which has one of the quickest turnaround times for home video. Disney can some times be longer. They've held off releasing Pirates films that came out during this time in theaters and put out the blu ray in December. I doubt they'll do that here though.

AngryMoth

Have to say I was very skeptical about this movie. I was always going to see it because well...its the Avengers, this feels like a pretty big cultural event, but I didn't see how having so many heroes could possibly lead to a legitimately good movie.

Fuck me was I wrong. Absolutely loved it. Its quicker to just describe what I didn't like: the opening scenes were a little underwhelming, Loki while better than in Thor I still find lacks the screen presence I'd like for a main villain, and the guy playing Hawkeye is very forgettable. Thats it; everything else is perfect. There were just so many awesome moments its hard to single anything out really, usually in these Marvel films there are a couple of really great climatic action shots, but at 2 points in this movie it feels like there's one every 30 seconds.

The dialogue is very sharp, in fact it is a genuinely funny film, I was kind of annoyed at the people in the cinema for laughing too loud! I definitely felt they went too far in Iron man 2 with the cute, ad liby dialogue between Tony and Pepper, but here it felt just right. Lots of great lines and nothing that stood out as bad writing.

The pacing is also great, if not somewhat relentless. Again, there are 2 points in the movie where its moving at 100mph and they are juggling so many different threads, and yet they somehow manage to keep it together and I'm just sat there thinking "THIS IS SO AWESOME!" And finally(!), Marvel manages to get deliver a satisfying finale. I'd be interested to know the budget as it definitely feels like one of the most expensive films I've seen. Given the precedent for the quality of action set by their recent film I couldn't believe what I was seeing at times, and it just kept on coming!

By the way, I know I'm been hyperbolic here, but this is coming from someone who isn't even really a Marvel fanboy. I'd say I probably have more knowledge than most filmgoers but I've never read a comic in my life. I almost never go so see films twice, the only time in recent memory is Avatar, but walking out of the cinema I was already looking forward to going again next week!

How is the 3D in this? I saw the trailer in 3D and I thought it looked too dark.
As someone who really hates 3D but was forced to see it that way, it wasn't so bad. I was surprised to learn it was a converted to 3D film because it did seemed to be done quite well. It doesn't escape my many criticisms of 3D, but I didn't at any point think 'grr, this is too dark' and it didn't ruin the experience. I'd still recommend 2D but if you like 3D I'd say you'll probably like it in this movie.

Oh man, that was a great. During the whole battle at the end I had a nerd erection the entire time.

So many people got up when the credits started, it was really distracting considering the credits were actually enjoyable.

saw it yesterday in 3D only because the cinema with the comfy recliners was only showing it in 3D.

Nothing special but it doesn't detract. You won't miss much by seeing it 2D

Also. It is a great film. Humour was funny and of the moment rather than forced.
It also shows why even big budget spectacle films need good scripts, acting performances and direction.

I liked Captain America, Thor and the Iron Man Movies but was blown away by how good this was.

Hulk redeemed.

Dammit I knew someone was gonna drop spoilers on the thread as soon as I peeked my head in >=|

Don't worry, it's nothing film-destroying. This film is a little more spoiler-proof than your average Marvel flick, it's got a mostly predictable plot, but you go for the action and to see the characters play off each other.

Jacobi

Banned
Loved the movie. Hulk was awesome, and Iron-Man had better action-scenes than in any of his own movies. I hope Iron Man 3 can match these.

And the theater was laughing pretty hard when Stuttgart was mentioned (I live there).

Just saw this. First some background info:

-Iron Man-good
-Iron Man 2-meh
-Thor-meh
-Captain America-dogshit on an astronomical scale

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by this. Whedon certainly knows how to make an ensemble cast work.

I'm not going to say it's good if all you want is explosions, because it's not. What makes it good is the cast bouncing off each other, so that when it comes to the action you actually give half a damn. That's how any good action movie works, and Avengers gets it.

Speaking of action, this has some damn cool scenes, even when viewed in 3D, which I now officially despise. Fuck 3D, fuck it to hell. It simply does NOT work with fast moving action, and as good as the action scenes were, I would've enjoyed them considerably more in 2D. Before this movie I was completely against 48fps in any way, shape or form. Now, however, I think they need to get that shit in action movies ASAP. 3D just butchers a good panning shot.

Still, good action film, enjoyed it more than I thought I would(which was, admittedly, not a lot). Thumbs up.

Dreaver

First of all, I hate 3D so much /rant

Went to the movie tonight, I fucking loved it. Sooo good.
Easily the best Marvel movie so far, I think the movie had really good action a lot of of good humor as well.
The first 20 minutes were a bit meh, and I didn't feel the movie yet, after that I really loved it.

All the characters were amazing, even Hawkeye and Black Widow had a decent roll. The Hulk and Iron Man were easily my favorite.
The whole audience was laughing really hard and clapping when
The Hulk was smashing Loki
The Avengers > Iron Man > Thor > Captain America > Iron Man 2 > The Hulk

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Loved it. Some of the most amazing action shots and sequences in a film ever. Came together as a great ensemble piece.

I still don't buy Ruffalo as Bruce Banner and he felt like the weakest actor on screen by far, but he's made a good 'elseworld' Bruce I guess, and had good chemistry with RDJ.

Kinda want this on Blu Ray now for an immediate high-def rewatch.

Just got back. That was incredibly fun. I'm kind of miffed that Cap didn't have any really good action scenes, and that was especially disappointing given that his own movie never delivered on that front. But the other characters more than made up it.

Whedon and ILM delivered. Yet those made-for-tv comments weren't baseless. The part when
they're all arguing on the Helicarier
was particularly bad.

I am a bit confused about one thing.
There seems to be an anti-WMD message early in the movie that kind of gets muddled when Iron Man uses the nuke to destroy the ship in space and save the day. Just felt kind of odd.

Edit: Now that I think of it, the movie some times went out of its way to show how useless Cap really was.
Not only was the scene of Cap and Stark fixing the Helicarier an odd use of screen time, it really didn't require Cap to be there at all. In fact, all it did was glorify Stark at the expense of diminishing Rogers.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Just came back from watching it.

Acts 1 and 2 were kind of slow and long-winded, even considering the action sequences. Lots of character scenes that dragged just a little bit too long. But the act 3 payoff was so, so good!

Whedon really knows how write dialogue and make characters play off each other, and it shows. And that is a great choice for such a diverse ensemble cast as we have in the Avengers.

Spoiler:
DAT CREDITS SEQUEL TEASER! HYPE!

nib95

Banned
Saw the film earlier. Great but not classic. I felt like it had TOO much action. Almost a bit Transformers like near the end. Felt it needed just a bit more emotion and story.

That said, it was hugely entertaining and a massive roller coaster. Great cast and insane special effects. Probably a solid 7.5 (to max 8/10) for me.

jett

D-Member
I HAS SEEN IT

I thought it was, in all honesty, really awesome. Big dumb action spectacle full-stop, there's not much to a plot but it won't matter to anyone, it all works out. Some seriously funny moments too, RDJ is in full comedian mode in this movie. Joss Whedon is to be commended for making a movie about four unrelated superheroes teaming up to save the planet be as good as it is and doesn't turn out to be completely ridiculous. I mean shit, he even made Hawkeye and Black Widow not be useless and do some cool stuff.

I liked the big four equally, but moment of the movie goes to the Hulk. Only thing I'll say is that the audience freaking ERUPTED, holy shit. It really was just that awesome. For reals. I can't imagine any comic book fan, especially Mahvel/Avengers fans, not loving the shit out of this. It's everything you could hope for.

I for one name it best Mahvel movie yet, a really good time and lots of fun.

shira

I HAS SEEN IT

I thought it was, in all honesty, really awesome. Big dumb action spectacle full-stop, there's not much to a plot but it won't matter to anyone, it all works out. Some seriously funny moments too, RDJ is in full comedian mode in this movie. Joss Whedon is to be commended for making a movie about four unrelated superheroes teaming up to save the planet be as good as it is and doesn't turn out to be completely ridiculous. I mean shit, he even made Hawkeye and Black Widow not be useless and do some cool stuff.

I liked the big four equally, but moment of the movie goes to the Hulk. Only thing I'll say is that the audience freaking ERUPTED, holy shit. It really was just that awesome. For reals. I can't imagine any comic book fan, especially Mahvel/Avengers fans, not loving the shit out of this. It's everything you could hope for.

best disney-marvel or anystudio-marvel movie?

I HAS SEEN IT

Aw man, you've gone soft!

Blader

I HAS SEEN IT

YSZPpl.png

I HAS SEEN IT

Hmmm.

Rlan

My main issue with the film is that
Cutting off the portal means all the aliens "turn off", as it were. Hate when movies do that.

Salsa

I plan on waking up in the morning, go secure my ticket (numbered thank god) for the 10pm showing, and going back home to sleep.

Also im going with my father cause he loves marvel and is awesome like that.

jett

D-Member
I had the feeling it would, but was expecting a more subdued response like Sculli.

Well I had my problems with it probably similar to Sculli's but there's no point in dwelling too much into the negative here. It's not a perfect movie, but it hits the spots it needs to.

So, jett, Whedon or Nolan?!

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

I seen't jett rip apart movies to shreds!

tumblr_lrufk8Ud2w1qhuy0oo1_500.png

He was ruthfless, he was ruthfless man.

I can be one tuff sunnavabitch but I'm also an honest man, your friendly neighborhood jett. I shit on stuff that deserves to be shat on.

Well I had my problems with it probably similar to Sculli's but there's no point in dwelling too much into the negative here. It's not a perfect movie, but it hits the spots it needs to, considering what it is going for.
Yeah, you could definitely nitpick away at it, but there is seriously so much amazing spectacle on display and it moves at such an unrelenting pace, that it's easy to forgive any flat moments. I think the fairly bare-bones plot worked wonders for the movie. It really allowed the characters shine.

I don't know how many times I stressed that the movie was just really fun. Like I said, it is the characters and their chemistry that absolutely make the film. The only failings I really highlighted were on a narrative level, but like I said, you don't really worry about it and just roll with it because it's a lot of fun.

I would still put Iron Man ahead of it, but Marvel fans with be in love with the film.

I especially like how ThePinkDagger apparently ignored all my posts and ranted about me giving a 'laughably predictable sour review' when I was pretty sure I gave the exact opposite.

Defending the film before it's been attacked like only a good Disney employee can.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
how duz i see this movie early

I was going to tell you to fly overseas, but you could always take a trip to Mexico tomorrow.

Cutting off the portal means all the aliens "turn off", as it were. Hate when movies do that.

Maybe they got homesick. :teehee

jett

D-Member

The aliens "turn off" because the nuke hit their mothership, they drop dead before the portal is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom