• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Edit: Now that I think of it, the movie some times went out of its way to show how useless Cap really was.
Not only was the scene of Cap and Stark fixing the Helicarier an odd use of screen time, it really didn't require Cap to be there at all. In fact, all it did was glorify Stark at the expense of diminishing Rogers.

Yeah Cap really is the weakest of the bunch.
He couldn't even beat that one faceless goon in that scene! I felt so bad for him!
He's just there for leadership skills I guess.

My biggest problem which I hinted at in my review was
Hulk's uncontrollable nature being conveniently retconned when he shows up to fight.

jett

D-Member
My biggest problem which I hinted at in my review was
Hulk's uncontrollable nature being conveniently retconned when he shows up to fight.

I figured Loki's scepter made him go crazy or something. Anyway that's how it could be explained.

He couldn't even beat that one faceless goon in that scene! I felt so bad for him!

WHAT!? FUCK THAT NOISE!
Cap should be beating ass and not even bothering to take names. All while being the leader.

Urgh. But I am anxious to see Dat Hulk.

Khezu

I figured Loki's scepter made him go crazy or something. Anyway that's how it could be explained.

Some people are thinking that lokis staff is really the mind gem and that's why he can control people and it fucked with the hulk

Personally though it doesn't really need to be explained, the hulk is an asshole with a heart of gold, he throws hissy fits and fights with heroes and smashes shit up all the time when hes angry and wants to be left alone, but when shit hits the fan and there is real danger he will step up to the plate and save the puny humans

Nah. There is a reason the rest of The Avengers were acting super cautious around Banner. The opening scene where Black Widow meets Bana sets up how volatile and dangerous he is - even to friends. Loki's breaking out of the prison by relying on Hulk just seemed like another braindead narrative idea that didn't bother me because I was watching Hulk rampage and almost kill Scarlett.

To be honest I thought Thor was the weakest character on screen out of all of them. The Captain, however, was a star. I thought it was fitting that the
aftermath of the fight, he was identified by name on that TV interview by that woman who he saved. Going back to that actual scene, after the explosion takes him flying into the street and landing on a car, as he stands up without his hood, he takes a long pause with his head down as the camera panned around him and that woman looking on; he was given the 'hero' shot.

Also the shot of the Hulk trying to
pick up the hammer
was excellent. He looked so perplexed lol

worst spoiler ever.

hey guyz Michael Corleone becomes the
godfather
at the end of the godfather

It reminds me of Plainview in the Avatar thread two months out from release.

'So Rodriguez just did an interview where she revealed that her character
dies
in the movie.'

Radec

I burst laughing when Hulk
smashed Thor out of nowhere for no reason.
:lol

My main issue with the film is that
Cutting off the portal means all the aliens "turn off", as it were. Hate when movies do that.

Maybe you went to the restroom when
Iron-man diverted the Nuke to the Alien Mothership before the Portal closes

Favorite scene is
when ironman deflected multiple repulsor shots off of cap's shield

I don't think it was him who
deflected them. I think the repulser shot came from him and the Cap deflected it around them as quick fire. It looked like something they had just thought of. Or maybe I remember it wrong

Btw, congrats to ILM because I don't think i've ever seen a more realistic Hulk, especially a Hulk where you could still clearly recognise Bruce. Although one thing that bothered me is why did the Hulk want to
bash the Black Widow? In the previous movies, he only reacted to aggression or threats.

Replicant

Dude, not fair.
He was against his element on that one. Unlike Ironman, he can't fly. He was busy trying not to plummet onto the ground while the ship shaking like a belly dancer and that one guy was trying to shoot him.

I think he got his moments later on in the film. IMO, it's Thor who got a bit short-charged in terms of amount of appearance time. Sure, his lines are funny and he got some of the most awesome and again, funny scenes in the film. But his presence was kind of minimal for the main 4 heroes.

I don't think it was him who
deflected them. I think the repulser shot came from him and the Cap deflected it around them as quick fire. It looked like something they had just thought of. Or maybe I remember it wrong

Yes it wasn't.
Captain was the one who deflected it. I thought it was a neat example of their instinctive co-operation.

Sorry guys. I edited my post. I hope PhoncipleBone does as well

Just did. Sorry it took so long.

Couldn't help but spoil yourself?

Disappoint.

Though the way he spoilered that kind of gives away the spoiler. :p

I AM WEAK! I can admit it. My enthusiasm for this film has been building for years and I cannot control myself. I must know more about it!

ONE WEEK TO GO! Everyone near me in the theater will be covered in the cum from my nerdgasm!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Also the shot of the Hulk trying to
pick up the hammer was excellent. He looked so perplexed
lol

Movie
...Thor...
is a shithead. If
he can pick up the hammer, then anyone should be able to.

It reminds me of Plainview in the Avatar thread two months out from release.

'So Rodriguez just did an interview where she revealed that her character
dies
in the movie.'

He's already pulling this crap in the Django thread :lol

Ha! I can't believe her comment was actually true. That was great. What did I say in the Django thread? That
Will Smith
dies?
Because he's not in the movie

Ah, you
son
of a
bitch
!

DILLON_predator.gif

Replicant

It
was
a
joke
for
all
of the
hyper-sensitive
people on
GAF

Why are you not in the Expendable 2 posters thread?! Get your ass out of here and over there. You should be praising Stallone for bringing a sequel to your fave film of all time.

Rephrased:

Why in the world was this released practically everywhere before North America?

The universe balancing itself? If some of us in other parts of the world have to wait 4 months to see The Cabin In The Woods, it's only fair you guys have to wait for 1 week before seeing this.

Magnus

The universe balancing itself? If some of us have to wait 4 months to see The Cabin In The Woods, it's only fair you guys have to wait for 1 week before seeing this.

I'm just surprised is all; it's Marvel's biggest film to date, produced in North America. What's the strategy behind releasing overseas first?

Replicant

I'm just surprised is all; it's Marvel's biggest film to date, produced in North America. What's the strategy behind releasing overseas first?

I don't know. It was, however, a public holiday here in Australia when the film went wide. Because Chris Hemsworth is Australian? Or maybe they saw the ka-ching from THOR, which was also screened internationally first and thought they'd get the same result by doing the same? And that strategy seems to be working for this film.

Radec

Man, this year would be Hunger Games vs The Avengers vs Dark Knight Rises racing for the #1 blockbuster of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom