• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Avengers |OT| (Dir. Joss Whedon) [Spoilers unmarked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless it is total shit, I see it doing very well. But what will this year's Hangover, Bridesmaids, or Rise of the Planet of the Apes breakout be?

Nothing like Bridesmaids or Horrible Bosses last year, except maybe The Campaign. Neighborhood Watch will be too offbeat, even though it has sci-fi elements. Gun to my head, unfortunately Ted or That's My Boy, although the latter looks somewhat funny to me.

We can all hope it will be the freaking amazing Beasts of the Southern Wild. Or, Magic Mike would be pretty awesome.

Rephrased:

Why in the world was this released practically everywhere before North America?

i just assumed europe got it because of the uefa euro. they need to tighten their schedule for the summer since many will be watching the games and not go to the movies. atleast thats what happened for the world cup but thats just a guess.

noah111

Still Alive
So if and when anyone in the future says the movie was anything but great, link them to this;

pHuL2.png

When negativity incarnate says it's really awesome, you're wrong.

Replicant

Wow, I'm glad I've seen the film but if you haven't, don't go to IMDB message board. Some jerk just spoiled a few parts about the film and other posts also don't make an attempt at concealing what could be some of the best scenes in the film.

Gambit

Saw it last night.

It was great! Admittedly it felt more like an "event movie" rather than a film with a beginning and an end (like Iron Man 1, for example), but it didn't matter. The audience wanted to see these heroes get together and be awesome, and that's what you get.
I found it interesting to see just how closely linked this film was to the solo films. Very bold.

You could see the Joss Whedon influence everywhere. He just knows how to balance an ensemble and even gave Black Widow and Hawkeye things to do. That's quite an accomplishment, considering their power level. I was pleasantly surprised it didn't turn into "Iron Man and friends", like the Singer X-Men films were really "Wolvie and friends".

The biggest laughs in my cinema were the same ones others reported.
Hulk punching Thor, Hulk smashing Loki, Thor talking about Hulk

Ach, if only it was possible to add Spider-Man and Wolverine. I really would want to see Wolvie vs. Hulk.

PS:
Love that Pepper is in it!

I don't know how many times I stressed that the movie was just really fun. Like I said, it is the characters and their chemistry that absolutely make the film. The only failings I really highlighted were on a narrative level, but like I said, you don't really worry about it and just roll with it because it's a lot of fun.

I would still put Iron Man ahead of it, but Marvel fans with be in love with the film.

I especially like how ThePinkDagger apparently ignored all my posts and ranted about me giving a 'laughably predictable sour review' when I was pretty sure I gave the exact opposite.

Defending the film before it's been attacked like only a good Disney employee can.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I love it!

Wow that was awesome. It was a little dull at the beginning, but when the heroes were assembled and interacting with each other, everything from that point on was really good. Glad pepper was in it.

shira

I just looked and don't think it's that bad outside of spoiling the part where
Spider-man shows up. [/spioler]
Oh shit we gone crazy in this thread after the lights come on
batman kicks the avengers ass [/lol] then superman kills them all

Oh shit we gone crazy in this thread after the lights come on
batman kicks the avengers ass [/lol] then superman kills them all
Before the movie started I asked my friends if Batman was going to be in this, and a nerd behind me groaned.

I think
the difference between the two Hulk transformations is the method. In the helicarrier, Banner transforms because of the shock of the drop through the floors. It's an uncontrolled incident with an uncontrolled reaction, leading to an uncontrollable Hulk.

Meanwhile, in NYC, Banner actively calls on the Hulk. It made sense that the Hulk is less volatile when he's more calmly brought into a situation. The end of TIH reflects this- although Banner isn't as good at controlling the transformation yet, he could brace himself for it as he jumped out of the helicopter, and that's probably why that scene's Hulk was able to think a bit more clearly when fighting Abomination.

Basically, so long as Banner doesn't fight the transformation, Hulk will be tamer.

SaintZ

Just got back from the theather and it was so freaking awesome!

I can't believe they killed Agent Coulson :( Why?! I thought they were going to reveal that he was alive at the end after Fury gave his speech with the cards, ugh.

I wasn't expecting to see this much Pepper either but I won't complain. Her dynamic with Tony is my favorite part of the Iron Man movies.

Everybody had fair amount of screentime I thought. RDJ, Hulk and surprisingly ScarJo had the funniest parts and dialog IMO. And I wasn't expecting this much action from Black Widow. It was nice too see her and Hawkeye not being useless.
I want to see it again, dammit!

Absolutely loved
mind-controlled Clint. The idea of a rogue Hawkeye was inspired, if shorter lived than I had liked

The fight choreography throughout the movie could have been better. I'm a huge Cap fan, and as I previously mentioned, he should have had at least one really impressive sequence. Sometimes it felt like the movie was trying too hard to give everyone equal weight when it really didn't need to.

Gambit

I can't believe they killed Agent Coulson :( Why?! I thought they were going to reveal that he was alive at the end after Fury gave his speech with the cards, ugh.

Because it's Whedon. That's what he does!
It was unexpected for me as well.

Because it's Whedon. That's what he does!
It was unexpected for me as well.

Certainly unexpected. And
his final heroic effort was so oddly pointless mixed with kind of illtimed humour.

Maybe someone can help me with this as I wasn't particularly paying attention during IM 2, but is there a good enough reason for Stark to be as
grived by Coulson's death
as he was? If anyting, I'd imagine Cap would
try to console Fury rather than Stark

his final heroic effort was so oddly pointless mixed with kind of illtimed humour.

Maybe someone can help me with this as I wasn't particularly paying attention during IM 2, but is there a good enough reason for Stark to be as

LOL! I was laughing at that development. Like any of them gave a shit about Coulson to the point of getting all mopy and teary-eyed. That is what I meant when I said Whedon harped on the lesser characters more than he needed to.

noah111

Still Alive
I think the best part about Avengers being a success with (seemingly) everybody, is what this means for Marvel Universe movies in general.

I just hope to hell that by the time Avengers 2 comes around, we'll have at least one more new hero added to the roster, if not more.

noah111

Still Alive

Well in Iron Man 1
before we even know about the SHIELD, Coulson is introduced as a character and keeps nagging throughout the film, and in the end he (& SHIELD) pretty much save Stark's ass.

So yeah, it makes sense since he and Coulson are quite close in terms of Iron Man's origins and all that.

I think the best part about Avengers being a success with (seemingly) everybody, is what this means for Marvel Universe movies in general.

I just hope to hell that by the time Avengers 2 comes around, we'll have at least one more new hero added to the roster, if not more.

Of course they'll be a few new heroes by the time Avengers 2 rolls around.

I just hope that they have a better villain that imposes a larger, tangible threat.

pulga

Banned
Holy shit that was fantastic. I can't believe Whedon made it work. He gave everyone screentime, and made EVERYONE look awesome.

I shit my pants when Hulk SMASH Loki. It's a BANNED gif just waiting to happen

Saw it at the Costa Rican premiere, btw.

noah111

Still Alive
Of course they'll be a few new heroes by the time Avengers 2 rolls around.

I just hope that they have a better villain that imposes a larger, tangible threat.
What I hope is that all the standalone movies from now on have a weave of connectivity that will be unseen until Avengers 2, i.e. Bendis style (New Avengers Skrull Invasion). That would be awesome.

Jubern

I saw it on Wednesday night. It was simply awesome and watching it with a huge responsive audience was really cool in its own way. Me and the girl friend I went with were totally blown away.

Still, I'm not a comic books fans so I fear I can't really add that much to the discussion.

Saw it yesterday afternoon (in 2D - fuck you converted 3D ... FUCK YOU), and loved it.

Big and dumb, but very very funny and they managed to give all of the characters something to do.

I'll need to get Captain America and Thor watched asap.

mrkgoo

What I REALLY love about all this is, is that Avengers is a milestone of a Superhero movie. We need more epic build ups with this kind of pay off.

I absolutely love that the previous movies are all in a continuity, but each have their own style and sense of fun - that they are different movies. It's just cool to see it all come together. It's like fully demonstrating that it CAN work, when you do it with enough passion.

I want to see it again, dammit!

I can't help but feel we've not seen the last of him. His death seemed a bit too shitty with humour to be permanent. Fury also said that they all needed a (emotional) push particularly with Cap and Stark. There was no send off and nothing to suggest that he really is dead, apart from what Fury said.

Or maybe I'm just hoping.

edit: OK that post was some embarrassing fan-fiction level shit, my point is more that having more than one threat is generally how sequels go down

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Favorite scene is
when ironman deflected multiple repulsor shots off of cap's shield
I don't think it was him who
deflected them. I think the repulser shot came from him and the Cap deflected it around them as quick fire. It looked like something they had just thought of. Or maybe I remember it wrong
Its a classic Co-Op move they do, Tcaps shield spreads the Repulsor ray as so it hits multiple targets.....similar to how in the X-men movies they had Colossus throw wolverine....it was something for the fans....a little fans service for those who are way too invested in comic books.

Prometheus.
Steals the show right out form under hunger games, avengers and the dark knight rises.

I'm pretty sure
motherfucking Thanos
is in the top tier.

No question there
beyond bringing in the likes of Galactus, Thanos is the next best most powerful villain they could bring in....hes not just physically capable of taking all the avengers on, he is also extremely intelligent, so it puts him in a true god tier, the fact that Loki could cause so much trouble means that Thanos would bring a level of we are fucked-ness we are not ready for

On Topic
Honestly this was just a damn fun movie, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and never really felt bored...and maybe because im a comic nerd my suspension of disbelief was working overtime and nothing was out of place.
Im probably gonna watch it again Tomorrow.

Im really excited for an Incredible Hulk movie with Ruffalo and definitely The Avengers 2 in 3 years or whatever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
one question for those that have seen it - and I realise this is maybe thinking things over too much.

why was the hulk
smashing stuff up like normal hulk on the base
but then later on
he's teaming up with the heroes and seemingly under control of his anger
?

Gambit

edit: OK that post was some embarrassing fan-fiction level shit, my point is more that having more than one threat is generally how sequels go down

I hope this one won't.
It's difficult enough finding room for all the heroes, so one villain (plus his evil army) is enough. Especially if more heroes join.

BTW: I seem to recall that Robert Downey Jr. is only signed on for one Avengers film (in addition to his three Iron Man). If true, I wonder if they'll convince him to be back.

glaurung

one question for those that have seen it - and I realise this is maybe thinking things over too much.

why was the hulk
but then later on
?
At the end of The Incredible Hulk we have this scene of Banner meditating and invoking a transformation, yet remaining in control. That's what it's all about.

hamchan

why was the hulk
but then later on
?

They never explained it in the movie but one theory is
On the base he didn't choose to transform but fighting the aliens he chose to. Might give him more control if he actually wants to transform.

^Yeah I never saw The Incredible Hulk ><

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

why was the hulk
but then later on
?
At the end of The Incredible Hulk we have this scene of Banner meditating and invoking a transformation, yet remaining in control. That's what it's all about.

Basically what he said.
If banner brings hulk out, he is much more manageable, if hulk is forced out i.e Banner truly gets furious, or just loses control, then the hulk thats brought out is just enraged and savage(like on the helicarrier).
How he transforms dictates how he will behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom