• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

Nyanmaruz

Ughh so Alexandra was just a nobody made up for the show?
And Iron Fist still isn't able to channel his chi into both fists bothers the hell outta me.
Also, whatever happened to this guy?
sgwrdMY.jpg

I was expecting him to appear in the show.

They actually killed off waaaaaaaaaaaay more Marvel staples than I thought they would.

Fucking killed Stick. Chopped off Misty's arm.

I'm now even more confused about Black Sky. This series kind of cleared up that Harold Meechum was brought back the same way The Hand brings back their goons, but it also makes it seem like Alexandra and the upper crust were special in their res tech.... which is what also brought back Harold twice. And how is Black Sky's res different from the other two versions?

And throughout the entire NMCU, the Black Sky has been depowered and demystified. What exactly is it? It's implied that it is a demon, but it is also implied that it is a special person that can be a host. It also doesn't seem to have any abilities that anyone else doesn't have. I expected it to have apocalytpic powers or something.

I thought it was a kick that the Iron Fist are literal protectors of dragons.

. It also doesn't seem to have any abilities that anyone else doesn't have. I expected it to have apocalytpic powers or something.

Not really, she was way stronger, faster and etc than a normal human. She managed to knock out and throw Luke Cage like he was nothing.

Still far from apocalyptic powers, but way above average.

JCHandsom

Ughh so Alexandra was just a nobody made up for the show?
And Iron Fist still isn't able to channel his chi into both fists bothers the hell outta me.
Also, whatever happened to this guy?
sgwrdMY.jpg

I was expecting him to appear in the show.

He could have just been in hiding. Unless it's an onscreen death nothing is off the table.

And yeah no dual fists bugged me too. If not for this, what possible threat could justify it at this point?!

SRG01

The nurse said to warn Maggie, aka Matt's mother.

That's true, but I'm kind of on the side of that being a red herring of sorts...

It's kind of like the ending of Luke Cage where he's sent to prison -- and it's resolved in less than one scene in the first episode.

They actually killed off waaaaaaaaaaaay more Marvel staples than I thought they would.

Fucking killed Stick. Chopped off Misty's arm.

I'm now even more confused about Black Sky. This series kind of cleared up that Harold Meechum was brought back the same way The Hand brings back their goons, but it also makes it seem like Alexandra and the upper crust were special in their res tech.... which is what also brought back Harold twice. And how is Black Sky's res different from the other two versions?

And throughout the entire NMCU, the Black Sky has been depowered and demystified. What exactly is it? It's implied that it is a demon, but it is also implied that it is a special person that can be a host. It also doesn't seem to have any abilities that anyone else doesn't have. I expected it to have apocalytpic powers or something.

I thought it was a kick that the Iron Fist are literal protectors of dragons.

From the other thread, perhaps the resurrection wasn't different. They come back each time more deranged, so Elektra coming back just brought out the inner psychotic part of her.

Also, didn't Harold need some time to recognize his own family when he died and got resurrected too? Like he wasn't all there at first?

EYEL1NER

As soon as Danny ignited the Iron Fist during his Elektra fight in ep 7, I shook my head and said "Wow. You are the worst Iron Fist ever," before he even threw a punch. Saw that shit coming from a mile away.

Damn, i thought I witnessed a cash cow killing but of course netflix doesnt have the guts.
Please kill danny, he sucks.
Also recast luke cage, where in the hell did they find such a terrible actor?
And maybe stop hiring these brits that let their real accent slip through when they get emotional.

Say what u will about ser loras, at least he tries to act. Luke cage's actor might as well be a wooden plank, he is the absolute worst actor on TV right now, this guy makes kit harrington look like daniel day lewis.

Can/should I watch having only seen both seasons of DD, about 8 episodes of JJ, watched all of and was bored by half of LK, and laughed at the reviews of IF?

I'm only half joking. I think these characters would be interesting together, but don't want to commit if it's bad and I'm only skimming this thread so I can avoid spoilers.

Thanks!

Edit: PS - Asking here instead of the official thread because I assume everyone has finished the season.

JCHandsom

Can/should I watch having only seen both seasons of DD, about 8 episodes of JJ, watched all of and was bored by half of LK, and laughed at the reviews of IF?

I'm only half joking. I think these characters would be interesting together, but don't want to commit if it's bad and I'm only skimming this thread so I can avoid spoilers.

Thanks!

I liked it well enough

Volimar

As soon as Danny ignited the Iron Fist during his Elektra fight in ep 7, I shook my head and said "Wow. You are the worst Iron Fist ever," before he even threw a punch. Saw that shit coming from a mile away.

To be fair, that kind of shit sounds like something that Danny Rand in the comics would absolutely fall for.

Were those Dinosaur bones?

Like inside a rib cage or something?

That old lady said he remembered watching those huge creatures or something

EYEL1NER

I just finished the last two that I didn't watch in the morning. That "Oh, the cops are cool with you, no charges are being pressed" wrap-up was so lame. I definitely didn't want to see Luke go back to prison and disliked the amount of cop stuff in episode 7 (seriously JJ is in and out of police stations all the time, Cage dealt with the cops and was in prison, Danny had his stint in the institution... I know these guys don't have the profile of Captain America and can't just avoid dealing with the authority because "Hey, I've saved the world 20 billion times" but I've had a bit too much of the "these guys are street level and more grounded in reality, so they are gonna get arrested a LOT" stuff), but how do they just hand wave it all away in the span of like two sentences? JJ and Cage "kidnapped" Matt, they broke out of the police station, the chief believed they stole the C4 instead of Colleen, they demolished a building.. The chief (who I disliked) was ready to throw them all in jail prior to them breaking out of the police station, and then they went and did everything that happened after that?!

Okay, a massive city-wide coverup is in place? They could have at least charged Cage with destruction of city property or something when he busted out of the police station. I better not see the chief in another Netflix season acting like "This city doesn't belong to vigilantes, they are not the law. We are" after he lets some vigilantes fuck up his police station and get away with it.

I don't specifically want them in trouble with the law, but they could have devoted a minute or two at least to explaining it or a better story, rather than a quick throw-away line or two. Maybe say that the chief of police and the mayor now acknowledgethe existence of The Hand but after the destruction of the building and seemingly destruction of The Hand, a lot of city officials and police leadership have gone missing and are suspected of being bought off by The Hand, or even members of the organization that infiltrated the city power structure to erode it from within and assist The Hand. So because of city/police corruption and ties to an organzation that the public doesn't need to know existed in the first place, they are covering it all up. I don't know, my execution there is pretty shitty, but it wouldn't have left any lingering questions.

Volimar

You know why they got away with it?

News conference after they were arrested:

"And how did they get the explosives to bring down a whole building?"

"Oh, well our police force is so incompetent that we let them break into our evidence room and steal enough explosives for a large scale terrorist attack. Next question?"

Were those Dinosaur bones?

Like inside a rib cage or something?

That old lady said he remembered watching those huge creatures or something

Dragons dude.

If Daredevil teleported out of there, then clearly also Elektra and Gao are alive too.

Pretty pointless plot in the end :D and yeah, what does burying the place really accomplish?

Gao will just dig the bones up.

Volimar

If Daredevil teleported out of there, then clearly also Elektra and Gao are alive too.

Pretty pointless plot in the end :D and yeah, what does burying the place really accomplish?

Gao will just dig the bones up.

Hopefully the task force will keep an eye on the place.

eizarus

Banned
And i had hopes that Spidey would have had a cameo in this as its their big "Avengers" show :p even just in costume/cgi.
At this point I don't think Marvel will ever mix their shows and movie beyond occasional mentions of events and heroes (without even naming them).

Despite not liking Gao at all as a character, I have to say I'm glad she's still going to be there for the long term.

That really felt like a Comic book villain. Someone that despite anything happens, will come back in any way.

Toki767

Just finished watching.

Aside from the first 2 episodes, I thought the rest of the show was fairly solid.

Apart from Iron Fist being horrible and Jessica Jones not really using her powers that much for some reason. Like when they tear the wall to uncover the hidden elevator, I feel like Jessica could've done that instead of Luke.

Apart from Iron Fist being horrible and Jessica Jones not really using her powers that much for some reason. Like when they tear the wall to uncover the hidden elevator, I feel like Jessica could've done that instead of Luke.

Yeah sometimes its confusing :D how hard do they both punch and how do regular guys survive it?

Also didn't Elektra mainly suck all the time, barely holding her own against single Defender opponents? :D

Toki767

Yeah sometimes its confusing :D how hard do they both punch and how do regular guys survive it?

Also didn't Elektra mainly suck all the time, barely holding her own against single Defender opponents? :D

I thought it was really inconsistent that Iron Fist couldn't harm Luke Cage without channeling his chi but virtually all the members of the Hand and Elektra could hurt Luke the same way they'd hurt anyone else.

Also Elektra was holding her own against all of them at the same time in the final episode. And she basically owned Iron Fist one on one because Iron Fist sucked so bad lol.

Finished it and really enjoyed it, thank fuck it was only 8 episodes though. I thought each of them held their own from a fighting standpoint but also from a character perspective as well.

When they first started getting screen time together I was marking the fuck out.

Is there a second series of this coming?

Cade

Okay, I had to watch seven hours of Iron Fist in a row the night before this came out just to catch up. This was pretty good and washed the taste of Iron Fist out, made me like this Danny a bit more as a character, closed off a lot of loose plot threads, etc.

But, and sorry if this has been asked before (I saw a bit about K'un-Lun discussion but not this specifically) -- Danny says to Gao that they desecrate Shou-Lao when they're sawing through dragon bones under New York.

1. Shou-Lao is undying. It's right there in the name. Even assuming he died...
  2. How do his bones get from K'un-Lun to New York? Even assuming there was once a portal to KL...
  3. How did Danny instantly know it was Shou-Lao's bones, and why was he not more upset that an undying dragon suddenly died and
  4. HOW DOES THE TIMELINE MATCH UP THAT DANNY TRAINS IN KUN-LUN FOR OVER A DECADE THEN PUNCHES SHOU-LAO IN THE HEART THEN THE DRAGON FOSSILS END UP IN NEW YORK BURIED FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS

The only thing I can figure is either Danny was being metaphorical, Shou-Lao dies every time and leaves his bones behind, Danny was confused (possible) or the writers don't understand...
OR I missed a throwaway line explaining this? Am I way off?

Volimar

Okay, I had to watch seven hours of Iron Fist in a row the night before this came out just to catch up. This was pretty good and washed the taste of Iron Fist out, made me like this Danny a bit more as a character, closed off a lot of loose plot threads, etc.

But, and sorry if this has been asked before (I saw a bit about K'un-Lun discussion but not this specifically) -- Danny says to Gao that they desecrate Shou-Lao when they're sawing through dragon bones under New York.

1. Shou-Lao is undying. It's right there in the name. Even assuming he died...
  2. How do his bones get from K'un-Lun to New York? Even assuming there was once a portal to KL...
  3. How did Danny instantly know it was Shou-Lao's bones, and why was he not more upset that an undying dragon suddenly died and
  4. HOW DOES THE TIMELINE MATCH UP THAT DANNY TRAINS IN KUN-LUN FOR OVER A DECADE THEN PUNCHES SHOU-LAO IN THE HEART THEN THE DRAGON FOSSILS END UP IN NEW YORK BURIED FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS

The only thing I can figure is either Danny was being metaphorical, Shou-Lao dies every time and leaves his bones behind, Danny was confused (possible) or the writers don't understand...
OR I missed a throwaway line explaining this? Am I way off?

I figured it was he meant it was dishonoring Shou-Lao to do that to any dragon.

Deadly

I thought it was really lame that they hyped up Murakami but then he just ended up being a jobber.

Show was okay. Wasn't great, wasn't bad. Making it 8 episodes was the smartest idea they've had though. All the other series dragged and had 3-4 episodes too many and they finally realized that.

The music during the last fight was extremely questionable.

Jessica Jones powers are so inconsistent. Half the time she seems like a normal powered person, then half the time she's Luke Cage strong. This show is nonsense, those 2 should be knocking out everyone nonstop.

shingi70

Banned
Jessica Jones powers are so inconsistent. Half the time she seems like a normal powered person, then half the time she's Luke Cage strong. This show is nonsense, those 2 should be knocking out everyone nonstop.

It's a problem with most superhero media its more apparent here since the characters are so Street level. There's a point when fighting Electra that you have to wonder why Cage or Jones just doesn't knock her the fuck out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm on Episode 5 and this whole production is just mediocre. The dialogue is bad and the fights are hard to follow. They don't even have the money to show everyone's abilities in interesting ways. I think I'm ready to let Netflix Marvel go.

El Topo

Can we talk about how shitty of a weapon Elektra is? Like...*that* is your super secret weapon? There's a company out there creating supersoldiers, plural, yet the Hand wastes its time on *that*?

Dunlop

Thought it was ok.

Anytime Coleen or Dany spoke it was painful, which I found funny because I thought Coleen was good in Iron Fist but it is just that she is less shit than Dany.

On the WTF Electra train, organization that has been there since the dawn of time practically uses their last resources on her and she is pretty much a jobber. Gao seems to be much more powerful.

I get it was not a unanimous decision but c'mon.

squall23

I know we're all trying to have the mindset that the Marvel movies might as well not exist here, but Dr. Strange's faction must have known about the Hand right? RIGHT?!

LordRaptor

I know we're all trying to have the mindset that the Marvel movies might as well not exist here, but Dr. Strange's faction must have known about the Hand right? RIGHT?!

The Hand do petty street level organised crime mob type shit like drug dealing and extortion.

The Ancient One and crew are stopping shit like lovecraftian eldritch horrors devouring the planet

Top Bottom