• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's The Defenders *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Super Friends - August 18th on Netflix

EYEL1NER

Dayum, episode 3 was on-point. Stick lops off a hand, Matt tails Jessica and then gets tailed (which I loved, but I don't get how he didn't hear Jessica's camera), and then Danny having a fight where he didn't look like a complete tool who doesn't know martial arts and then everyone else busts in. I got bored of the first 15 minutes being completely devoted to Elektra, but things are picking up. Everyone has met, Stick is gonna fill them in on some shit, they know who they are up against. I really wanna keep watching but I've gotta take my daughter to orientation to meet her teachers and stuff in a few hours, I should probably get some sleep. Maybe after one more episode, then I'm half way through the show.

EYEL1NER

One complaint from me so far, I do like the way the characters profiles and stuff have the city blocks and subway lines incorporated in them for the title sequence, but I'm not feeling that music at all. Especially with DD, JJ, and Luke having such great intros and themes.

EYEL1NER

Working my way through episode four right now and was a bit bummed that they keep switching to Hand stuff and Elektra. Like, I get that we need to find out what they are doing and stuff, but all I wanted from this episode was the Defenders hanging out at this restaurant and figuring out who they each are. Those parts are great so far in this episode but the times they've switched to Alexandra or Elektra I've just kind of rolled my eyes. I'm glad I'm sticking in for this episode and didn't call it a night early though, because Stick telling Jessica to "Sit down and shut up," and the resulting look she gave him, was one of the greatest things I've seen so far in any of these Netlix shows.

EYEL1NER

Ugh, Bakuto's back
Just finished ep 4 and read the short description of ep 5. It's says that "Colleen clashes with an old acquaintance." Between that and Stick mentioning Bokuto and Danny saying he was dead, I figured it must meant that Bokuto was back. Especially if Alexendra was talking about the Five Fingers of the Hand coming together again, and Bokuto is one of the fingers. Now I see your post confirming it, but I'm not surprised at all.

LotusHD

Banned
Um.

Was he this awkward in Iron Fist?

He was just as bland and annoying as he was there, except probably worse, because now he's sandwiched in-between 4 other Hand leaders. Or maybe that's actually better, since it's not like I really want to see more of him lol

Ep 5: Lol at all the side characters being gathered in one place, also omg, Misty and Colleen have finally met.

EDIT:

I will say this, I enjoy the animosity between Bakuto and Gao

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah.

Maaaan I wasn't a fan of him cutting that bear open. >: (

Okay good, I was under the impression that it was someone else, would've been really dumb if some new guy showed up later.

That said, they gonna need a new guy, because Sowande just got decapitated...

Ep. 6 - Of course we have the needless fight between friends. It's to keep Danny safe, but still... That said, DD > IF.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some prelim thoughts.

They had a better reason to fight each other than The Avengers. The might even have better chemistry.

Danny is somewhat salvaged. There's like one "Corporate Danny" scene which is used to bring everyone together and that's it.

I still hate Daredevil, but he's less insufferable here than he was in his own show. I hope this is end of the tedious Catholic guilt Daredevil.

For me, accepting that Netflix Marvel is different from Agents of Shield and the movies allows me to enjoy it much more - this means that the Hand is a credible threat and it makes sense that they're the only ones that would deal with it.

Trying to bring the shows together stylistically, you realize that Luke Cage is the only show with any visual style. The other character's visual themes are just varying shades of gray/dark.

The action is fine, but I don't really like any of the Netflix Marvel action scenes so... eh.

First 2 episodes were so boring.

Episode 3 was pretty good though.
Oh that's the other thing. Somehow even with eight episodes, it suffers from Netflix pacing.

TheOddOne

animation1qqqxx.gif

1f615.png

Glass Rebel

Sigourney Weaver knew Brahms and Beethoven, like, personally. This bitch is OLD. LOL

They're really trying to drive this point home.

"Tell your wife she makes it even better than in CONSTANTINOPLE."
"I think you mean Istanbul. That is ANCIENT name."
"OF COURSE."

LotusHD

Banned
Ohhhhhhh.... Elektra's back y'all, for reals this time. And Alexandra is dead by her hand. Can't say I'll miss her...

Did her dirty too, she was giving her little speech lol

EDIT: RIP Stick as well, nearly forgot :(

JDMC13

I like how they are leveraging Iron Fist being kinda a butt monkey from his first season. It doesn't excuse it, but they seem to being trying to make the best of a bad situation so I can respect that.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
That ending scene tho...
11211-daredevil_bornagain06.jpg

They are totally doing Born Again in DD S3.

Also, disappointed that the cave is just some dragon bones and not the seal of The Beast

MartyStu

I am going to need to revisit Daredevil S1 because I think my quality scale may be off. I remember that show, and the first half of Luke Cage being really good.

This show is...not good. The editing is muddled and haphazard, the dialogue is corny in all the wrong ways, the acting is spotty, and the action is more miss than hit.

Hell up until episode 3, I was legitimately confused as to what the story was supposed to be about. Other than 'Defenders doing things, they 'bout to meet!'

Just started episode 6 and momentum is all that keeping me watching.

LotusHD

Banned
I am going to need to revisit Daredevil S1 because I think my quality scale may be off. I remember that show, and the first half of Luke Cage being really good.

This show is...not good. The editing is muddled and haphazard, the dialogue is corny in all the wrong ways, the acting is spotty, and the action is more miss than hit.

Hell up until episode 3, I was legitimately confused as to what the story was supposed to be about. Other than 'Defenders doing things, they 'bout to meet!'

Just started episode 6 and momentum is all that keeping me watching.

Nah, I agree with you more or less. The show is pretty damn mediocre for pretty much all the reasons you said, as well as not having a good villain either. Alexandra was very bland, not very intimidating at all. And while it was neat that she got replaced, replacing her with Elektra wasn't much of an improvement. Also didn't help that you had the other Hand members that you really just don't give a shit about other than Gao really. Basically, fuck the Hand. Same issue as the

Best thing I can say is that I enjoyed many of the character interactions, especially where Jessica was concerned, her sardonic wit never got old. But yea, I missed most of these guys. And I will admit that this show managed to do the impossible, and got me to tolerate Danny as a character. I am now... fine with his presence. I even bought him and Luke's blossoming friendship.

But yea, show didn't exactly live up to expectations, but it was only 8 episodes at least. (Though it still managed to be sluggish at times...) Speaking of which, I really, really, hope future shows and seasons will have a reduced episode count. I'm excited to see DD S3 the most, as well as the Punisher.

Rankings:

DD S1
Jessica Jones
DD S2 (Punisher's appearances made it easy to rank this over Defenders)
Defenders
Luke Cage
Nothing
Iron Fist

Man did I expect nothing but the baseline and still get disappointed.

They killed off Ripley to retread Luke Cage S1, and it was worse this time because Elektra was just doing over her character arc towards the end of DD S2.

The bits between the titular Defenders seemed the best when they were just bouncing off each other, starting to get along and whatnot. The internal conflict was always conveniently timed to the proceedings.

None of the action worked for me except as quick cuts in the trailers.

Gonna miss Stick, but that's basically how he always expected to go out, I suppose, as a soldier in a shadowy war.

... HOLY SHIT I'm glad they didn't kill Claire, Misty, or Colleen.

By the way, we're done pretending that the Netflix stuff is connected to the MCU now, right? You're going to tell me a building goes down in the third act and not even Doctor Strange comes along to check out a supernatural domestic terrorist act? Oh but it had a dungeon underneath to conveniently catch the rubble and destruction so that's okay I guess?

.... Man, this show felt... to even call it wheel-spinning is overstating the matter because that implies the machine operates well enough to move forward.

All I know is, I'm basically done. I can't look forward to these shows anymore, especially with that Punisher teaser cribbing John Wick, felt like the Batman games of late emulating the Nolanverse films.

Glass Rebel

4 episodes in this is about what I expected. Nice character interactions buried in a slow, boring story that ties the threads of the other Defenders together somehow. Unless this picks up in the second half, I'm done with these Netflix shows.

number11

The fight scene at the end of episode 3 was cool, but other than that i hated how similar all the other action scenes felt and looked. The final episode I just got bored by how dark and dull it was presented.

Hella binged it. Alternate title-- Iron Fist's A Series of Unforced Errors.

And Daredevil carried the shit out of this entire team so hard.

aly

And now we know, DD can totally kick IF's ass.

I just want to know why the directors hate Iron Fist so much. He easily has the second best comics after Daredevil, should be the best fighter of the group, and Danny/ Misty is cute. But the MCU throws it all out to create some unlikable punching bag. Y they do this.

Top Bottom