• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT2| The Den Of Xenophiles

qcf x2

I bought this game day 1, played about 8 hours until I got to
some abandoned space ship
and eventually in a glitch loop where I kept unavoidably falling to my death upon loading the save data(I don't usually do multiple saves). Never touched it again, though that was more of a last-straw reason. I honestly didn't feel like I was doing anything. The characters felt boring, the plot flat and the game seemed to place more emphasis on the making the combat feel more FPS-like than creating/furthering the story. Most of my gameplay was rescuing/recruiting people I didn't care about and mining for resources.

I guess I wrote this to ask: does it magically get better? Should I give it another try or give it away?

Zen

Banned
Not really. The high points of the game are basically the opening and then the ending sequence (in a 'fuck yeah' sort of way). It's entire purpose was regiggering the status-quo a bit and making busy work until Mass Effect 3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How could you NOT love the characters?

Nemesis_

EatChildren said:
Absolutely not. Its fucking shit and not worth a cent. It is nothing but a combat simulator (a shitty one at that).

The apartment at the end that you unlock makes me want to live in the Mass Effect universe.

;_; Why can't this all be real?

Duderz said:
Story: ME >>>>> ME2

Characters: ME <<<<< ME2 (save for the villian)

I'd agree with this. Setting down on Feros, fighting through the Geth tower, taking down the Thorian, running through Ilos, talking to Vigil....all of them resonate with me.

The characters are much better in ME2, but some of the schlock and final boss fight made my eyes roll.

Tylahedras said:
Just played Mordin's back story. Mind blown.

A game that has the balls to explore then moral boarders of genocide? Wow.
This is one of the things I really wish they would have given more attention to. Shepard's responses felt like they really limited the conversation. It likely wouldn't have been a problem had they not brought up essentially the same things again and again each time you spoke with Mordin about it. It was still a really intriguing situation to be discussed and see the various views of, though.

AlimNassor said:
Man...vanguards are so much...love that charge...
They got you too, eh? haha
I was really reluctant to switch from soldier to vanguard going 1->2, but I'm glad I did. That biotic charge is heavenly once you get your stats right. So much fun!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man, I want to play Vanguard, but I don't want to play over again so soon. Why couldn't they let you change classes? Screw your fantasy world and its continuity, it's a videogame, let me play around.

Dice

One thing they need to add to Mass Effect 3 is common sense in your team. I was fighting a few heavy mechs and Miranda ran out and stood right next to one to shoot it in the face with a pistol. This was just a moment before she caught about 200 bullets with her torso. I'm all for them having some gusto when going up against blue sun lackeys or something, but heavy mechs? Come on! I shouldn't have to tell them when they need cover every single time.

I loved Vanguard after I powered it up a bit. But I really loved it later when I earned the ability to add Sniper Rifles. Made me extremely deadly up close and from very far away.

Playing through this game again.. wow. Mass Effect 2 is really a masterpiece. I really hope too much talent didn't peel off Mass Effect 3 for other projects, because damn a bar was set.

Dice

Kinspiracy said:
I loved Vanguard after I powered it up a bit. But I really loved it later when I earned the ability to add Sniper Rifles. Made me extremely deadly up close and from very far away.
Yeah, I feel like I should have just taken the super sniper rifle or assault rifles. This has the crappiest shotgun I have seen in any game. Even after I upgraded it to max, it wasn't doing much damage until I was like 1 foot away, but then if I got too close it would shoot right through them. Because of this I would run out of ammo for it really fast while failing to tear through crowds like I expected to and it also had typical ammo effectiveness limitations and didn't really stun a lot of enemies. Why bother with it when the melee seems to be twice as strong, staggers them, breaks down shields and barriers, and doesn't require ammo?

Toward the end I was AI hacking like crazy and using my team to inflict some sort of status on enemies while I ran up behind them in cloak for the melee finish. Though, in the final sections of the game I really don't know how you're supposed to do well without a sniper rifle. Just try to hide the best you can and use endless incineration or something?

Melchiah

Dice said:
Yeah, I feel like I should have just taken the super sniper rifle or assault rifles. This has the crappiest shotgun I have seen in any game. Even after I upgraded it to max, it wasn't doing much damage until I was like 1 foot away, but then if I got too close it would shoot right through them.

The Geth shotgun is awesome, and deadly even in long distance.

Just got a copy tonight. I was greeted with an hour long install and 30 minutes to get the damned Cerberus pack. I'm not sure about this but I'll give it a chance. I've heard too much and had too many people tell me to play it, even though I really didn't like the demo. Open mind, it can't be that bad no matter what.

daviyoung

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Open mind, it can't be that bad no matter what.

It's a really well made game so it's not bad by any stretch. You'll know whether to persevere or leave it after a few hours into it though.

daviyoung said:
It's a really well made game so it's not bad by any stretch. You'll know whether to persevere or leave it after a few hours into it though.
Oh, I'm sure it's really well made and I can't imagine I'll just hate a explorative shooter. I don't know, I was really looking forward to the demo to finally see this game for the first time and for whatever reason it just didn't work for me. Demo's can often be like that though, I didn't care for the Batman AA demo and I f'n loved the game.

daviyoung

Banned
Haven't played Batman, but from what I remember of the Mass Effect 2 demo I think it's just the first level, so just training basically.

Out of interest, did you play the first?

Dice

BobTheFork said:
Just got a copy tonight. I was greeted with an hour long install and 30 minutes to get the damned Cerberus pack. I'm not sure about this but I'll give it a chance. I've heard too much and had too many people tell me to play it, even though I really didn't like the demo. Open mind, it can't be that bad no matter what.
Here is the key to the game: Shepard is a badass.

This isn't Dragon Age where you can piss someone off so much that they leave. Go ahead and try to be all Paragon if that's what you want, but never feel like you're walking on eggshells because that just isn't the situation. You're the biggest hero in the galaxy and everyone around you knows it. Don't ever feel stressed, just do whatever the hell you want. That galaxy is also not some delicate little flower that needs to be coddled just right. They will be asses to you, yet they also know how the game goes.

daviyoung said:
Haven't played Batman, but from what I remember of the Mass Effect 2 demo I think it's just the first level, so just training basically.

Out of interest, did you play the first?
Nope, trey 4 life! From what I hear, I think I might have preferred the first if it really had the RPG trappings, but I'll take a good shooter any day. I'm not the kind of person who likes character progression in MP, but I'm looking forward to 'making' my own Shepard in a SP shooter.
So far I only know one rule: Female Shepard or bust right?

edit: that's really good to hear Dice. I AM that douchebag that feels guilty about being a dick in games, especially if there is some negative story consequence for just making that choice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dice said:
Here is the key to the game: Shepard is a badass.

This isn't Dragon Age where you can piss someone off so much that they leave. Go ahead and try to be all Paragon if that's what you want, but never feel like you're walking on eggshells because that just isn't the situation. You're the biggest hero in the galaxy and everyone around you knows it. Don't ever feel stressed, just do whatever the hell you want. That galaxy is also not some delicate little flower that needs to be coddled just right. They will be asses to you, yet they also know how the game goes.

If there is no consequence its boring.

Yoshichan said:
YOU'VE GOT TO BE SHITTING ME!

So I decided to keep doing side quests until pretty much every mission said I had to go to a planet that I had no clue how to get to...

Then I found the Mass Relay...

And now I know how huge this fucking game is!

WOW, I'M LOVING IT! SOOOOO GOOD!
Lol! Yeah, I bet the size really amazed you then!

Is the Overlord pack really bad on just PS3 or is it bad on all systems? I mean I don't normally complain about graphics, but flying around the grass looks like PS1 gen shit. Then there's the bushes that magically sprout and grow when you get near them, and then the fucking ship keeps falling through the ground. What the hell happened with that? The rest of the game I've played so far seems great, but goddamn.

Patryn

BobTheFork said:
Oh, I'm sure it's really well made and I can't imagine I'll just hate a explorative shooter. I don't know, I was really looking forward to the demo to finally see this game for the first time and for whatever reason it just didn't work for me. Demo's can often be like that though, I didn't care for the Batman AA demo and I f'n loved the game.

Yeah, about exploration? Don't expect much.

In fact, don't expect any.

Unless you're playing Overlord.

BobTheFork said:
So far I only know one rule: Female Shepard or bust right?

Yep. FemShep is the only Shepard.

Trickster

Salaadin said:
My default Male Shephard begs to differ

Well you can choose to play as male shepard. Just like you could choose to have sex with a real doll instead of a hot model in the room next door. It begs the question though, why would you?

sam27368

Banned
rainking187 said:
Is the Overlord pack really bad on just PS3 or is it bad on all systems? I mean I don't normally complain about graphics, but flying around the grass looks like PS1 gen shit. Then there's the bushes that magically sprout and grow when you get near them, and then the fucking ship keeps falling through the ground. What the hell happened with that? The rest of the game I've played so far seems great, but goddamn.
Looked gorgeous on my master race system

Dice

HK-47 said:
If there is no consequence its boring.
If there is severe and unforeseen consequence for seemingly small decisions so you have to reload to 4 hours back, it ruins the experience.

In ME2 you do change things, but what changes remains within the scope of the choices presented, and people prioritize saving the galaxy over their petty shit.

iNvid02

mcdomination said:
Please explain

i use pinnacle game profiler, someone the pinnacle forums made their own profile for the game and the controls are pretty perfect. you do have to buy the program first though. its useful for games that dont have built in controller support, has a lot of preset profiles too

but you can go the free route and get other programs like joy2key but they require manual setup

iNvidious01 said:
i use pinnacle game profiler, someone the pinnacle forums made their own profile for the game and the controls are pretty perfect. you do have to buy the program first though. its useful for games that dont have built in controller support, has a lot of preset profiles too

but you can go the free route and get other programs like joy2key but they require manual setup

Is it better than X-Padder? I used x-padder with the ME2 profile and it really felt clunky. Would you happen to have a link to the ME2 profile for Pinnacle? Thanks!!

Zoibie

rainking187 said:

That magic grass was really weird. It wasn't pop-up either, it was like it grew and blossomed as soon as you got near it.

That and Shadow Broker weren't the best graphics/stability wise but the rest of the game is pretty good.

Well, I guess I consider this one more demo that doesn't really represent the game at all. I love the game so far. I guess I wasn't on board until I fought the giant mech on first colony I went to. I looked ahead and there seems no way to hook up with Miranda as Female Shepard so I'm really disappointed about that but otherwise It's a really fun tactical shooter. I got a copy of Yakuza 4 so I'll be switching up today but I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Tylahedras said:
Just played Mordin's back story. Mind blown.

A game that has the balls to explore then moral boarders of genocide? Wow.

The most engaging story mission this gen, by far. I was stunned and almost breathless by this mission. Your morality is put on the very edge and your decision are so heavy to make.

Salaadin said:
Mordin was such an interesting character. I hate myself for not liking him at first.

I loved it at the end, when he gave me advise for my intercourse with Miranda. Shepard was like " You must be kidding me "

Wow, I really didn't know much about this game. I thought I would just be given the next mission like it's the next level. But instead, I'm touring a space station, recruiting people and watching strippers. I know it's lame to say this now, but this is a really cool game.

BobTheFork said:
Wow, I really didn't know much about this game. I thought I would just be given the next mission like it's the next level. But instead, I'm touring a space station, recruiting people and watching strippers. I know it's lame to say this now, but this is a really cool game.
The overarching plot blows.

The individual characters are awesome.

I've even become a fan of Jack.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So currently 56 hours playtime...

I've had this game for three days, that's 72 hours...

That's a lot of hours per day and very, very little sleep. I'm starting to notice ._.

I just started another playthroug of the game and immediately I hit a snag. In a conversation with the Illusive Man because apparently I have two options one that is "I am listening" and the other is "Where do we start" but I can't find the option to tell him to cram his shit and fuck off so now I am stuck.

Alucrid

Banned
Yoshichan said:
So currently 56 hours playtime...

I've had this game for three days, that's 72 hours...

That's a lot of hours per day and very, very little sleep. I'm starting to notice ._.

How? I want this lifestyle.

Dice

Lostconfused said:
I just started another playthroug of the game and immediately I hit a snag. In a conversation with the Illusive Man because apparently I have two options one that is "I am listening" and the other is "Where do we start" but I can't find the option to tell him to cram his shit and fuck off so now I am stuck.
Don't you remember?
You do that at the end of the game.

Dice said:
Don't you remember?
You do that at the end of the game.
Yeah I know, but why do I have to pick one the two options when both agree with him? Oh well I guess I can just pretend that Sheppard is lying and is going to give him the middle finger the moment the conversation ends.

Dice

The guy was a dick the whole time. Apparently he spent billions of credits to bring you back to life, but he can't cough up roughly one million more to get your whole team all the best weapons? The 30k allowance paid after major missions was an insult.

Top Bottom