• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef Season 8 |OT| Every Other Version of MasterChef is Better

Dereck

C_lJVXTU0AAclgY.jpg:large

http://www.fox.com/masterchef/article/meet-the-newest-batch-of-home-cooks

Host and award-winning chef Gordon Ramsay, world-renowned pastry chef Christina Tosi and James Beard Award-winning chef and restaurateur Aarón Sánchez welcome 40 of the nation’s best home cooks to the MASTERCHEF kitchen on the Season Eight premiere of MASTERCHEF, airing Wednesday, May 31 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

In the season premiere, the Top 40 travel to Los Angeles to compete in the Battle for a White Apron challenge, during which only 20 will move forward in the contest for the MASTERCHEF title, a cookbook deal and the $250,000 grand prize.

Hopefuls auditioned at MASTERCHEF’s open casting calls in Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Los Angeles, CA; New Orleans, LA; New York, NY; Oklahoma City, OK; Orlando, FL; Portland, OR; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; and Washington D.C. to prove they have the culinary skills to be the next MASTERCHEF. Only one talented home cook will join MASTERCHEF winners Shaun O’Neale (Season Seven), Claudia Sandoval (Season Six), Courtney Lapresi (Season Five); Luca Manfe (Season Four); Christine Ha (Season Three), the first-ever blind contestant; Jennifer Behm (Season Two); and Whitney Miller (Season One) in the elite group of MASTERCHEF titleholders.

This season features 40 contestants from all walks of life, representing 18 states – including a debt collector, dentist, PE teacher, Harvard student, swimsuit model and two ministers – all with the hopes of turning their culinary dreams into reality.

Aarón Sánchez Is The New Judge! | Season 8 | MASTERCHEF

Season 6 | Season 7

The contestants are walking cliches. A religious southern black lady with beehive hair who likes to make fried chicken. A woman who stepped right out of Duck Dynasty. The young kid that wants to prove himself. And they pit the same kind of cliche against each other to knock one out, like "we only need one God warrior on this season, sorry!"

Dereck

The contestants are walking cliches. A religious southern black lady with beehive hair who likes to make fried chicken. A woman who stepped right out of Duck Dynasty. The young kid that wants to prove himself. And they pit the same kind of cliche against each other to knock one out, like "we only need one God warrior on this season, sorry!"
I'm liking this thread already

TTOOLL

hahaha just saw the premiere, that's true my friend!

To be fair, more than one God warrior is a whole lot of God warriors.

I hope this season is good. Masterchef Junior was a bit of a disappointment tbh with Shayne getting cut earlier than he should have.

Dereck

Two people 25 and over.

Whenever I meet people within this age group I get thrown off because I'm always unsure of how old or young they are supposed to look relative to me.

vypek

I feel like I saw another thread for a Ramsay show for a different season. Seems they are rare on GAF without much of an audience. I enjoy watching them but Hells Kitchen remains top entertainment for me.

I was hoping they'd skip over the white apron part as it's really boring to me. Looking forward to the rest of the season

Dereck

The classic Ramsay bait and switch with the "you three cooks stood out..........for all of the wrong reasons" thing was Key & Peele skit tier.

I must admit that I didn't see it coming though.

I don't miss Graham Elliot's sliding his mouth across the entire spoon/fork thing though.

The classic Ramsay bait and switch with the "you three cooks stood out..........for all of the wrong reasons" thing was Key & Peele skit tier.

I must admit that I didn't see it coming though.

I don't miss Graham Elliot's sliding his mouth across the entire spoon/fork thing though.
That was great! Fooled me. I'm not sure he's done that before on this show. The contestants faces were hilarious.

vypek

I didn't quite get it. They didn't even taste those 3 dishes??

Best 3 dishes to taste are selected by what the contestants chose to cook and how they did it. If it looks promising in those aspects they will taste what they feel is top 3. They followed the same idea with the bottom 3

Jombie

I quit watching after season 6 when Derrick got robbed blind. It's a show that's more concerned with melodrama than actual technique.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The hosts basically troll the contestants constantly to create moment to moment drama. It can get silly.

And they only taste what they judge to be the best three usually for the invention test.

vypek

Knew Paige was gonna have issues when she was so confident in that "confessional" and mentioned being half Mexican

Seventy70

I've watched MasterChef US every year so far and I think I'm going to skip this season entirely. It's been going downhill the past couple of seasons. I miss having Joe and Graham on. It seems like they are way to focused no getting the wacky characters. I thought the early seasons had a really nice balance between keeping things entertaining while also being real.

It really sucks since I like Gordon Ramsey. I'm not sure how people even stomach Hell's Kitchen. It's like Jersey Shore: Kitchen Edition.

vypek

I've watched MasterChef US every year so far and I think I'm going to skip this season entirely. It's been going downhill the past couple of seasons. I miss having Joe and Graham on. It seems like they are way to focused no getting the wacky characters. I thought the early seasons had a really nice balance between keeping things entertaining while also being real.

It really sucks since I like Gordon Ramsey. I'm not sure how people even stomach Hell's Kitchen. It's like Jersey Shore: Kitchen Edition.

I miss Joe and Graham too. I'm happy there are 3 judges consistently instead of a guest judge popping in for some events but absent from others.

I still like Hell's Kitchen though. Another show I think was better in its earlier days. Can't take it too seriously now but I do enjoy some of the challenges and stuff that they go through a lot. The contestants are really wacky at times so the show feels like some comedic contest sometimes too. The competition can still be interesting though

VPhys

I miss Joe and Graham but I'm still watching. I'm not a big fan of Christina.

Seemed the hate for Paige was a little unwarranted. I think some of the women were jealous.

vypek

Yeah, I dropped this show

You guys too?

I watch it passively. A friend of mine and I watch Ramsay cooking shows together to comment on them. The crowd for this show is extremely small on GAF.

A lot of times this show is background noise as I do something else.

vypek

I really wish they’d tone down the “drama”, it’s so manufactured.

It's something I hate in all "reality" or competitive shows. The drama and emotions they are playing up for the camera.

I remember it being something that happened a lot worth Biggest Loser and even in something like Survivor. It's annoying

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I can't watch the American version anymore, it's just so over the top and fake. Australia is probably my favourite, then the good old UK version.

chris121580

I was wondering the same thing. Thought for sure he was gone. Reba had never even been in the bottom before. Really rooting for Gabriel but he isn't getting much of an edit lately which makes me worried

Omzz

They just weren't ready to let the edit die out, of the only guy who loses their shit while cooking

Dereck

Funny how that Masterchef "Shaun"'s only suggestions were like, I would have grabbed a paintbrush and smeared that sauce there.

Used to love this show, but after Christina helped one home cook get out of a tricky situation to win in the final round, I was done.

Dereck

This? Japanese?

It's a chicken nugget, c'mon.

I'm more fucking Japanese than this.

Gummy fucking puree that I'd give my granddad to paste his fucking house with new wallpaper

vypek

This? Japanese?

It's a chicken nugget, c'mon.

I'm more fucking Japanese than this.

Gummy fucking puree that I'd give my granddad to paste his fucking house with new wallpaper

Lol I forgot to post about it last night while I was watching it but I was laughing so hard when they presented their Japanese chicken nuggets. Gordon really tore into them for that.

Top Bottom