• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 7th | UK General Election 2015 OT - Please go vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Possibly, but the Cameron being hit with questions about broken promises are now ready for the 10 O'Clock News -- whereas Milibland gets Paxo right at the end of the show.

If you think the 10 o'clock news couldn't get a headline in about something that happens at the end of the show, you're wrong. The production teams on those kind of shows are incredible.

AGoodODST

I hope the polls prove true and SNP get a decent number of seats. The three main parties are turds.

Feel sorry for them people out width Scotland. You guys don't even have a variable alternative choice. Well Green I suppose.

FPTP is terrible.

T-Rex.

Banned
I can't stand the bloke, but I don't think Cameron came off too badly there. Miliband's bit should be interesting..

I can't stand the bloke, but I don't think Cameron came off too badly there. Miliband's bit should be interesting..

Cameron definitely did better as the interview went on. He was clearly shaken by Paxman's tenacity at the beginning and stumbled over his answers.

kharma45

I hope the polls prove true and SNP get a decent number of seats. The three main parties are turds.

Feel sorry for them people out width Scotland. You guys don't even have a variable alternative choice. Well Green I suppose.

FPTP is terrible.

Could be worse, could live in northern Ireland where you are stuck with the DUP and Sinn Fein in most areas.

Possibly, but the Cameron being hit with questions about broken promises are now ready for the 10 O'Clock News -- whereas Milibland gets Paxo right at the end of the show.

Nothing newsworthy though. All of that has been covered before. Only a gaffe would make the headlines and Dave avoided that.

I would be surprised if this even changes one vote though.

If you think the 10 o'clock news couldn't get a headline in about something that happens at the end of the show, you're wrong. The production teams on those kind of shows are incredible.

I don't disagree - but one's more entrenched by then. And Paxman will have just started with him when the show goes on air, and the top of the show arguably matters more.

Not that it's too huge an influence. As zomg already said.

Audience questions are guff.

that's the Conservatives' logo? LOL
842px-Conservative_logo_2006.svg.png

hahahahahaah

tomtom94

Seconding the "probably voting Green if at all".

First past the post is broken, so it's obviously never getting fixed. Conservatives talk about things they don't have a hope in hell of understanding and demand people rely on short-term solutions so that they can pay for tax cuts for the rich, Labour aren't different enough from the Conservatives to justify voting for them, let alone the "party of the left" they're meant to represent, and any sensible voter is going to trust the Lib Dems about as far as they can throw them. Oh, and the SNP are completely irrelevant in UK-wide political terms, they're not stupid and they saw exactly how well a coalition went for the Lib Dems.

The only good thing is that at the moment, UKIP's polling numbers are falling.

The election will be a decision over who is going to be allowed to make a minority government. Conservatives have the better leader, Labour have the better individual candidates. It's going to be a lot closer than the last election, that's for sure.

DBT85

Can someone just explain how Ed got the Labour nomination over his brother? I wasn't really paying attention at the tame and just remember saying "who??".

kmag

I actually think Paxman wasn't that great, he let Cameron away with murder in the second half of that interview. He generally seemed in a bit of a rush to get to the next question since of picking apart the answers.

Empty

catching up with paxman's questions. at his most useful in this role. look forward to his opener to miliband.

Can someone just explain how Ed got the Labour nomination over his brother? I wasn't really paying attention at the tame and just remember saying "who??".

The Union vote. David Miliband won with the MPs and rank and file members. Ed won with union members.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Less skeletons in the closet. David was too closely associated with the Blair years and was seen as the 'Blairite' candidate against Ed Ball's 'Brownite'. Ed Miliband might have been associated with Brown more than Blair, but the label of Brownite didn't stick by the time it came to the leadership contest and I think he largely got through as a compromise candidate after getting most of Ed Ball's second preferences.

EDIT: It's not the union vote. The Labour Party has three electoral colleges, each of which can award a maximum of 33.33%. One of those colleges is composed of the votes made by members of affiliated organizations. This includes unions, but also includes Compass, the Fabian Society, the Co-operative Party, various LGBT groups, various student societies, and so on. These people also gave Ed a majority. Even if you got rid of the electoral college system and had one man, one vote, Ed would still have won - in fact, he'd have won by a much bigger margin than 50.35 - 49.65.

kmag

The Union didn't like his brother who was seen as a Blairite, while Ed was a Brown lackey and as such more acceptible. Ed, believe it or not, actually ran the better campaign outside of the MP's who went with his brother.

The Labour party has a strange voting college for their Leadership, with MP's, Party Members and the Unions all getting voting rights of different weighting.

Yeah to be honest while the Greens are perceived as a left wing party with clean hands, good intentions aren't enough if you aren't competent and I wouldn't group all of the Green's policies under "good intentions".

In many ways I'd say the Greens are the left's UKIP. Wacky people with little experience. The Greens don't say as much stupid shit but I'd say they're as much of a protest vote.

I actually think Paxman wasn't that great, he let Cameron away with murder in the second half of that interview. He generally seemed in a bit of a rush to get to the next question since of picking apart the answers.

Limiting Paxman to 18 minutes was a mistake. Removed the ability to go more in depth on things.

Dabanton

Paxman is a huge admirer of Cameron so that didn't surprise me at all.

His lost his bite massively since he left Newsnight. I think him making his personal political opinions known has kinda tainted him.

Hasney

Personally, I'm not voting this year.

I am going with the philosophy that I trust neither party running for election and want to display that disinterest by actively ignoring my right to vote.

I know many people who will be doing the same.

I'm not really sure it does though. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you in principle, but there could be 100's of reasons why someone didn't vote.

Maybe a spoiled ballot would be better? Not sure if they go anywhere, but if they do, I think k it would send more of a message of dissatisfaction if done in an obvious way as you've then even bothered to go to the polling station to do it.

kmag

All Ed has to do is not gaffe enough to make the news headlines tomorrow (frankly Charlie boys letters and the Plane crash will take up most of the real estate anyway). No one will be watching by the time he speaks to Paxman, because this audience nonsense is fucking atrocious.

To be fair Ed, he's normally not bad at the audience type crap, and he's wonkish enough to eat up a lot of really dull time with numbers if Paxman lets him. But he does that The Thick of It rabbit in headlights thing when he's flustered.

I'm not really sure it does though. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you in principle, but there could be 100's of reasons why someone didn't vote.

Maybe a spoiled ballot would be better? Not sure if they go anywhere, but if they do, I think k it would send more of a message of dissatisfaction if done in an obvious way as you've then even bothered to go to the polling station to do it.

That's a very good point.

Isnt it illegal to spoil a ballot? For some reason I thought it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom