• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyre

KevinCow said:
This is quite possibly the silliest Mega Man boss lineup yet. And I love it.
Opposite effect for me. The last time a MM game had a largely silly set of bots (more than usual), it was MM7 and that one turned out to be almost everyone's least liked game (probably tied with 8 and yes, I know these games also controlled completely differently from the 8-bit games). Creatively bankrupt would be an apt phrase in this case.

Looks like I won't be regretting not getting this update to MM2 at launch, if at all.

lyre said:
Opposite effect for me. The last time a MM game had a largely silly set of bots (more than usual), it was MM7 and that one turned out to be almost everyone's least liked game (probably tied with 8 and yes, I know these games also controlled completely differently from the 8-bit games). Creatively bankrupt would be an apt phrase in this case.

Looks like I won't be regretting not getting this update to MM2 at launch, if at all.

Man, you're a killjoy.

It's a Mega Man game.

Enjoy it.

Sciz

I'm liking the sprites better than the art. Still not the best lineup ever, but I can take most of these seriously.

Milabrega

Foov said:
No girls? I thought Splash woman was the start of something...

When they were scouring deviantart for ideas they must have accidentally Splash Woman art. Mega Man 9's line up is leagues above these.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
EmCeeGramr said:
mega-man-10-robot-master-reveal-20100113031101822_640w.jpg
Capcom should have just named him Guiron Man.

5107MJ1W7PL._SS500_.jpg

jarosh

Hero said:
Not feeling it. MM9 was fun since it was years since 8 but I don't want to support Capcom greed.
you know what i want to support? MYSELF. HAVING FUN. so i'm gonna buy this. FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAH

kiryogi

Banned
Hero said:
Not feeling it. MM9 was fun since it was years since 8 but I don't want to support Capcom greed.

I'm with this. I'm a megaman fan and all but this is pushing it. Think I've said this before, but they should have taken the next step by doing an X10 with the snes assets. Hope this backfires on them this time around. Pretty irritated that inticreates is working on this and not ZX3 or something.

I think they did a better job doing the sprites for the bosses in MM9, maybe the designs for MM10 are a little complicated to translate faithfully to sprites. Anyway the stages looks amazing.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Hero said:
you seem to be under the impression that capcom took a break from "whoring" and/or forgot how to make fun games forever but you're actually incredibly wrong and it's kind of sad that you could be that stupid

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Let's see:

Strike Man: generic sprite. I wouldn't know he's a baseball-themed robot master with a baseball head if I weren't told. He looks like an enemy I'd encounter in a stage, not a boss.

Solar Man: I don't know. He's really nothing special, but at the same time he's simple enough and reminds me of the early Mega Man games. Still, he's kinda meh.

Sheep Man: he looks as good as can get for a sheep robot. Maybe a bit too quirky (a sheep is not my idea of a threatening robot, nor do I see why an evil doctor would create one), but not too bad nonetheless.

Pump Man: bleh. He doesn't look good at all.

Nitro Man: could turn out bad or good. The base sprite is average, but I like that he's a bike. At the same time, Turbo Man sucked hard. On the fence.

Commando Man: generic.

Chill Man: creative bankruptcy ahoy! Gemini Man meets Jewel Man. Also, English is not my mother tongue, but doesn't "Chill Man" sound stupid to native speakers?

Blade Man: Haha. No. A blade-shaped head, seriously?

Sheep man is so utterly bizarre. It's like they designed a Cloud Man and remembered at the last minute that they had already made one so they just stuck horns on it and called it a sheep.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Pureauthor said:
Sheep man is so utterly bizarre. It's like they designed a Cloud Man and remembered at the last minute that they had already made one so they just stuck horns on it and called it a sheep.
Eeh...cartoon sheep look like clouds.

Especially electric cartoon sheep.

yj2aj2y

Krelian

I like the bosses' design. I'm with jarosh. Can't wait for MM 11, 12, 13, 14 and so on. Hopefully they'll all see the light of day :D

Milabrega

Strike Man: Kind of Bland sprite wise, but his stage and boss fight look like a lot of fun.

Solar Man: Kind of Meh, hope it isn't just Spark Man redux.

Sheep Man: Its Cloud Man Jr.

Pump Man:I like the design, but he's unfortunately got the Shield item this go around

Nitro Man: Its Turbo Man Jr.

Commando Man: Looks like a stage mob, not boss

Chill Man: I like the Mr. Freeze dome, and yeah clearly inspirated by Gemini Man in some way

Blade Man: Goofy ass design.

lyre

Whimsical Phil said:
Eeh...cartoon sheep look like clouds.

Especially electric cartoon sheep.

http://tinyurl.com/yj2aj2y[IMG][/QUOTE]
And it's not like this is the first time enemy sheep has appeared in the overall series. The fluffy floating fokkers faring from Battle Network 4:
[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/bf0qwn.jpg

Altho, the thing that bothers me most about this set of bosses is they're pretty much by-the-books designs and not as well designed as the latter half of series, which imo, starts with MM6 and goes up to MMnB (add in GC MM5 as well). Even discounting MM7, 8 and Bass bosses (for their reason for being more detailed is because better hardware means more detail), with MM6, the last NES MM game, even that had better and more varied boss designs than 10 despite the spritework being the usual MM fare.
1z9nd0.jpg

ElFly

lyre said:

Don't you think that the main problem was the difference in control / graphics / general design between MM7 and 8 and the classic games, and not whether the bots were "silly" or "clever" or whatever adjective.

Hero

jooey said:
you seem to be under the impression that capcom took a break from "whoring" and/or forgot how to make fun games forever but you're actually incredibly wrong and it's kind of sad that you could be that stupid
Capcom never stopped whoring as a whole. But for years they left the classic Mega Man series for dead while they whored the X, Zero and Battle Network series.
Maybe you should take a chill pill and not take the internet so seriously.

jarosh said:
fixed

mega man
50i8vo.gif

capcom
50i8vo.gif

Actually, compared to last generation Capcom isn't making enough games.

I was and still am a huge advocate of Mega Man 9. It's wonderful and I bought it day one. It was a throwback to days long gone and it was an awesome nostalgia trip for a small price. But for me Mega Man 10 being shown off so soon isn't as cool, partly because I was expecting it. I'm not feeling the character design or anything for these new bosses.

It was obviously successful enough for Capcom/Inafune to warrant another one so quickly. Otherwise they would've left it to the way side ala Mega Man Powered Up. I can understand if people are excited about it, I'm just going to wait until it's out before I commit to Mega Man II: Part Three.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Hero said:
I was and still am a huge advocate of Mega Man 9. It's wonderful and I bought it day one. It was a throwback to days long gone and it was an awesome nostalgia trip for a small price.
Actually, you're selling MM9 short. It was more than just a nostalgia trip. I'd say it's the best game of the classic series.

That's why I'm looking forward to MM10. I'll stop buying these games when they stop delivering.

y2dvd

I hope MM10 retains MM9's difficulty. When MM9 first came out, I held a poker gettogether. Whoever folded was required to play MM9. We had a blast watching everyone getting owned and dying every few seconds. :lol

Milabrega

I imagine it may even be more difficult. With easy mode added to curb the complaints of the patties first time around with 9. Even though the Robot Masters look more inspired by 6-8 than 3-5, I still hold out hope there are Shadow Master stages of the 9 RMs.

lyre

ElFly said:
Don't you think that the main problem was the difference in control / graphics / general design between MM7 and 8 and the classic games, and not whether the bots were "silly" or "clever" or whatever adjective.
To me, everything about about the game contributed to the game sucking. Seeing a set of wacky/ier bosses should have been a clue/sign/warning.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Only other spoiler revealed there is:

Weapon Tanks are in.

Whoopie Do.

I can't wait for the in game accomplishments list like there was last time. That one had some evil shit on it.

Davey Cakes

kpop100 said:
What's shameful is the fan versions are better.
Heh. I will say that the fan-made Blade Man is arguably better, though the official one is a bit more intimidating. I think the blade-head is overkill, but that's about it.

jarosh

the celebration of this kind of intentionally misguided western retro concept art is starting to get a bit silly. it was a cute novelty for mm9 but i wonder what the hell the point is now. haven't we all moved on a long time ago? can't someone just create some proper art that looks like something inafune would draw?

jamska

Neo Member
Personally, I'd love to see a "retro" X game picking up exactly where X3 should never have been left off.

jarosh said:
the celebration of this kind of intentionally misguided western retro concept art is starting to get a bit silly. it was a cute novelty for mm9 but i wonder what the hell the point is now. haven't we all moved on a long time ago? can't someone just create some proper art that looks like something inafune would draw?

There was original 'Inafune' art done for Mega Man 9. I don't see why MM10 wouldn't get the same treatment.

jarosh

SonicMegaDrive said:
There was original 'Inafune' art done for Mega Man 9. I don't see why MM10 wouldn't get the same treatment.
yes, yes. i know there was. and i know there is now. it's mostly simple character art on white backgrounds though. i just think we don't really NEED this silly concept art anymore. it's not a major complaint, mind you... i just think it's kind of unnecessary. i'd rather have a proper inafune style boxart/wallpaper.

jarosh said:
yes, yes. i know there was. and i know there is now. it's mostly simple character art on white backgrounds though. i just think we don't really NEED this silly concept art anymore. it's not a major complaint, mind you... i just think it's kind of unnecessary. i'd rather have a proper inafune style boxart/wallpaper.

Ah, you mean that the novelty has sort of worn off for you.

Well, I can understand that. I still think it's fun, though. I mean, they're doing all this work trying to make the game feel and look as retro as they possibly can. You can tell these guys are just having a great time working on it. I think they realize that many people think that kind of terrible box art is very funny.

So I mean, if they're doing it to amuse themselves, I won't really complain.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
jarosh said:

I know what you mean. I don't really like how Capcom makes it seem like the whole "let's pick up Mega Man where we left off back in the day" thing is a retro/nostalgia trip, complete with everything that came with the era (e.g. ugly Western boxart). It makes it seem like Mega Man is a joke. It's not a serious project, nor is it a serious effort on Capcom's part to restore Mega Man's reputation and make an modern day sequel to one of its best series. Think about it: Inafune/Capcom decidedly sticks to downloadable games, is already starting to milk Mega Man like it used to, makes questionable decisions as to what should be removed (see the slide) and added (see the shop from MM7 which no one cared about and allows for game-breaking E-can spamming), introduces some of the lamest/uninspired robot master designs in the entire series and generally doesn't seem to want to bring anything new to the table.

It's no wonder you end up seeing people like me who liked MM9 (including the 8-bit style) do a complete turnaround and start to wonder why Capcom doesn't get a bit more ambitious with a retail release, more content than the old games, good new features/gameplay mechanics and maybe a new presentation. NSMB Wii made me realize the problem.

It's like Capcom has no clue: they think that old fans of Mega Man like old Mega Man because they like what's old, 8-bit, is lacking in content and is always the same. If video games were serious business, I'd say it's an insult to people like me who enjoy action/platform games and arcade gameplay.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
That weapon lineup looks solid as hell. MM9 had the strongest and most useful so far, here's to MM10 beating it! And wow ,the bosses may look 8-bit but they have way more sprites than any NES Mega Man.

Water Shield: Can be used as a projectile! Still the shield to beat is Jewel Satellite.

Wheel Cutter: Hot damn, a melee weapon that can be shot in multiple directions? 3 blades for each time? The new Metal Blade!

Thunder Wool: Two clouds that rain down lightning, but you can put two together for a bigger bolt! Cool!

Commando Bomb: Typical bomb weapon. Can be aimed up or down like Magnet Missile. Meh.

Triple Blade: Shoots three blades in two different patterns. Should be really useful for the platforming parts.

Chill Spike: Looks like a trap weapon. You can freeze enemies with it. It looks like you can stop the trucks in Nitro Man's stage.

Rebound Striker: A multi direction, rebouding projectile. Looks like it get stronger after each rebound.

Solar Blaze: A fireball that splits in two and attack in front and behind Mega Man. I expected something like Pharaoh Shot, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom