• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Echoes said:
GAME OF THE GENERATION BAAAAAAAAABBBBYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Seriously. Just like when MM9 was announced, I feel like every fucking game in 2010 can go fuck themselves. The Blue Bomber is back. In glorious 8-bit! I'd bet Dr.Wily is behind it all too! :lol

I never played the NES Mega Man games when they were new. My first Mega Man was X4 on PS1. I went back and played them much later and they're awesome. Mega Man 9 was great and I hope 10 is excellent as well. NES-style pixel graphics can be very aesthetically appealing.

NeonZ

I don't see why they'd keep Roll a secret, but she's the most likely one to be playable in a retro game like this.

So cheap. Oh well, enough people wanked themselves into a coma over the last one so no-surprise they went with the 8-bit visuals (actually looking worse than the later NES games at that).

Would have thought they'd do something more special for the fated 10, but I guess 11 and 12 will be knocked out in quick succession as well. Hurrah?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Chemo said:
Awesome, even more supremely lazy DD games. Another romhack that people will buy like crazy. I might give a fuck about a new Mega Man if they actually spent some time and money on it like with Bionic Commando: Rearmed.

SecretBonusPoint said:
So cheap. Oh well, enough people wanked themselves into a coma over the last one so no-surprise they went with the 8-bit visuals (actually looking worse than the later NES games at that).

Would have thought they'd do something more special for the fated 10, but I guess 11 and 12 will be knocked out in quick succession as well. Hurrah?

4172409371_b03dbb679f_o.jpg

Trurl

Banned
Second said:
250 reasons to love Nintendo???

Do those reasons exists, or is Nintendo Power counting each magazine issue as a reason?
:lol

Seeing Sonic in the context of that cover is pretty strange.

lyre

Crewnh said:
No ZX3...;_;
Thank Omega.

DR2K said:
I never realized advanced visuals could be considered a crutch. I view it as complementary to the entire package. Although Megaman 10 is a new game, not a remake or a port. I mean I enjoyed playing MM9(the demo at least), but the visuals were pretty jarring to the experience. I'm not a graphics whore by any means, but when visuals get to the point of hurting the overall experience then you have to draw the line. I guess the problem is I've never played the older MM games so I can't appreciate the nostalgic visuals.
It is a crutch when it's the only reason why anyone would bother playing a 20 year game when the games play identically. If you, or anyone, cannot get past dated visuals of old ass games, how the hell will you be able to get past the dated gameplay that complements the dated visuals.

And MM9's visual being jarring to the game has nothing to do with the game and completely to do with Capcom themselves refusing to go beyond 1988 era of 8 bit graphics 'fidelity'. There are fanmade MM2 romhacks that school Capcom in terms of the sprite and graphic detail in MM9.

I kinda agree that 9 didn't look as good the later NES games in the series, though, looks like they overshot their goal a bit when they designed the graphics, I mean isn't MM6 considered to be one of the best-looking NES games?

Personally, I'd love a 16-bit style game, too bad people don't seem to be as attached to that incarnation of Mega Man.

Kulock said:
Dr. Light in a power suit. He should flail with panic whenever he makes a jump. :lol
That would absolutely rule.

FrostuTheNinja said:
Fine fine fine... I'll post in this one too...

Good news to hear that Capcom is "listening" to fans.

Capcom, listen to this... Trojan.

Trojan could be a pretty good remake. And the possibilities for cross-promotion with other companies are built in. They could release an ad-supported version for free like the Doritos games.

Zen

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Did we ever get any sales figures for MM9?

Capcom was making press releases when Bionic Commando Re-Armed sold 400k... so I guess MM9 didn't sell that much. But these MM 8 bit games must cost nothing to produce.

Who knows. I can't remember if MM9 was in the top 10 PSN titles when it came out.

Just disappointed they didn't do a 16-bit one to sort of progress through. Also they need to match the Co-Op segment from this concept video to have me fully interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6KMAm_228s

Don't care for the in-and-out of the screen gimmick but 2.5d linked to 8-bit visuals is a nice effect anyway, but the co-op would be delicious. Also no DLC bullshit this time around, last game was straight up scam shit.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
FUUUUUUCK YEEEEAAAAHHH!!

SecretBonusPoint said:
Just disappointed they didn't do a 16-bit one to sort of progress through. Also they need to match the Co-Op segment from this concept video to have me fully interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6KMAm_228s

Don't care for the in-and-out of the screen gimmick but 2.5d linked to 8-bit visuals is a nice effect anyway, but the co-op would be delicious. Also no DLC bullshit this time around, last game was straight up scam shit.
Not a fan of this, personally, the 3D really doesn't make it any better-looking to me. Just give me parallax scrolling and a couple more colors and I'm happy.

BigAT

YES!

I absolutely loved everything about MM9. The graphics, the music, the challenge. I can't wait for more.

lyre said:
Thank Omega.

It is a crutch when it's the only reason why anyone would bother playing a 20 year game when the games play identically. If you, or anyone, cannot get past dated visuals of old ass games, how the hell will you be able to get past the dated gameplay that complements the dated visuals.

And MM9's visual being jarring to the game has nothing to do with the game and completely to do with Capcom themselves refusing to go beyond 1988 era of 8 bit graphics 'fidelity'. There are fanmade MM2 romhacks that school Capcom in terms of the sprite and graphic detail in MM9.

Said romhacks don't have .00001% of the brilliance of MM9 level designs.

Seriously. MM9 is a brilliant game on many levels. Oldschool gameplay =/= dated gameplay. Megaman has tight and perfect controls by 2d standards. Add in challenging (maybe too challenging for the kids these days) and fun levels, and you got gold.

The whole 8-bit look is not cheap, either. If you read developer diaries on MM9, they talk about how it costs a good bit of money and team, they use completely modern equipment to make the game look like an NES game.

dralla

I hope they don't dumb it down because of all the complainers of 9. very possible goty 2010 for me.

im not sure about 3 different characters though. i could see that being a problem with level design, making sure each one works with the 3 different characters.

dralla said:
I hope they don't dumb it down because of all the complainers of 9. very possible goty 2010 for me.

im not sure about 3 different characters though. i could see that being a problem with level design, making sure each one works with the 3 different characters.

Yeah me too. If MM9 didn't have the challenging factor it wouldn't have been half as good.

ShockingAlberto said:
When people say "16-bit Mega Man", do they want an X (good) or an MM8 (god no)?

MM7 (god no) MM Genesis Collection (god no) and X (god yes) are the only 16-bit megamans. 8 and X4+ are all 32-bit.

8 is actually quite good but it's so far removed from the Megaman formula. It's a good side scrolling action game though.

Oneself

TheCardPlayer said:
Except 8-bit Mega Man rocks the face off all the other Mega Mans. And remember that classic Mega Man sucked ass outside the NES games...well except MM9...but it's an NES game anyway.

I know that... but the gameplay wouldn't be different .. it would just look better. More colors/animation frames/effects/better res wouldn't hurt the game at all.... it's just silly.

Sweet, I would have prefered 16 bits graphics, or HD graphics, but I love 8 bit chip music, and these music wouldn't work that well with HD graphics I think. Anyway here is my wish list :

- a slide move, I think that great boss needs huge crazy attacks, which results in the need of a viable dodge move, MM9's bosses aren't that great IMO
- I want a PSP version, I want to be able to play MM10 anywhere. The DS screens can't handle the NES resolution, so it's not an option :lol
- no challenge that requires you to play the finish the game 5 time in the same day, or beating the boss with 1 hp left. I'm love challenging and punishing games, but some of the MM9 challenges are just stupid
-less shitty overpriced DLC please
-real time weapon switching with L and R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom