• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 10 on NA WW. PSN11/03; XBLA31/03. JPN dates post#1020. Bass & DLC in OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyre

Arpharmd B said:
Said romhacks don't have .00001% of the brilliance of MM9 level designs.

Seriously. MM9 is a brilliant game on many levels. Oldschool gameplay =/= dated gameplay. Megaman has tight and perfect controls by 2d standards. Add in challenging (maybe too challenging for the kids these days) and fun levels, and you got gold.
That's great to know considering I made no mention of gameplay whatsoever.

The whole 8-bit look is not cheap, either. If you read developer diaries on MM9, they talk about how it costs a good bit of money and team, they use completely modern equipment to make the game look like an NES game.
If you believe that, then I have a 16 colour bridge to sell you. Really, 8 bit sprites, hard to draw? They either only hired one (inexperienced) guy to do all the sprite work, or they're lying thru their teeth (and even then, they failed to accurately emulate the 8bit look due to many discrepancies).

And to the rest of the 8 bit whiners here, where the fuck were you when shit like Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman and Half-Minute Hero were announced, released and bombed? Hell, might as well add in the soon to be released PS3 goty 3d Dot Heroes while I'm at it since it relegates its artstyle to shitty lego block graphics in 720.

Aagh.

On the one hand I LOVE the idea of a Retro 8-bit title, on the other I am so over Mega Man it's not even funny.

Please Capcom, can we give another franchise the 8-bit treatment? Like Strider?

Dubble

Regulus Tera said:
The 3rd playable character is obviously Bass.

I dunno. It might be Roll. Didn't they have a secret "Roll Mode" in the PSP games?

I wouldn't mind if Bass was relegated to a boss character as long as they brought him back in some capacity.

Oneself

RockmanWhore said:
Sweet, I would have prefered 16 bits graphics, or HD graphics, but I love 8 bit chip music, and these music wouldn't work that well with HD graphics I think.

You should take a look at the Bionic Commando remake... 8-bit "inspired" soundtracks are awesome.

Sciz

Oneself said:
I know that... but the gameplay wouldn't be different .. it would just look better. More colors/animation frames/effects/better res wouldn't hurt the game at all.... it's just silly.
The Classic series' style has never successfully been brought out of the 8-bit era (sorry Powered Up fans). Maybe it's possible, but I can't blame Capcom for not trying any more.

Mega Man 9 is the closest to video games as art because it purposefully restricts it's artistic medium to create it's visuals in a specific way, as opposed to the technological horse race of most mainstream video games.

lyre said:
And to the rest of the 8 bit whiners here, where the fuck were you when shit like Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman and Half-Minute Hero were announced, released and bombed? Hell, might as well add in the soon to be released PS3 goty 3d Dot Heroes while I'm at it since it relegates its artstyle to shitty lego block graphics in 720.

Original games vs Megaman 10. And my argument isn't that 8-bit itself is shit, its that theyve gone with the laziest 8-bit shit possible ranging from all purple/orange tile backgrounds to other horrendous shit. Half-Minute Hero is gorgeous for instance, as is stuff like Cave Story. Megaman 9/10 manage to look worse than 3-6.

mr_nothin

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
Sweet, I would have prefered 16 bits graphics, or HD graphics, but I love 8 bit chip music, and these music wouldn't work that well with HD graphics I think. Anyway here is my wish list :

- a slide move, I think that great boss needs huge crazy attacks, which results in the need of a viable dodge move, MM9's bosses aren't that great IMO
- I want a PSP version, I want to be able to play MM10 anywhere. The DS screens can't handle the NES resolution, so it's not an option :lol
- no challenge that requires you to play the finish the game 5 time in the same day, or beating the boss with 1 hp left. I'm love challenging and punishing games, but some of the MM9 challenges are just stupid
-less shitty overpriced DLC please
-real time weapon switching with L and R
3D Dot Heroes says otherwise!

lyre said:
If you believe that, then I have a 16 colour bridge to sell you. Really, 8 bit sprites, hard to draw? They either only hired one (inexperienced) guy to do all the sprite work, or they're lying thru their teeth (and even then, they failed to accurately emulate the 3d look due to many discrepancies).

They didn't say hard to draw. They said it wasn't as low budget as you would think.

I thought everything looked exactly as an NES game. The only 2 things that break the illusion are: screen fading in and out, and NES Megamen had slowdown and flicker like a motherfucker.

Those look awesome but I don't have a PSP. 3d Dot Heroes is my reason for wanting a PS3.

Giolon

This is all well and fine, but, I want a new 16-bit style Mega Man X game - not that crazy anime shit they got into on the Playstation.

Ifrit

zqsh.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

These news just made my day, Mega Man 9 was the shit, easily my GOTY last year, hopefully this one is just as awesome

I'm also on the "wouldn't mind a slide button" team. It can make boss fights really fun like whatever Mega Man had Yellow Devil come back after number 2 and the turtle boss from Mega Man 7 (easily the game's best boss)

Whoa! I was not expecting this. You see this developers? This is why announcements of announcements are dumb. Sooooooooo much more satisfying when it comes out of nowhere.

Still, I would've preferred 16 bit and/or Megaman X9 in retro style, but this is still great news.

lyre

SecretBonusPoint said:
Original games vs Megaman 10. And my argument isn't that 8-bit itself is shit, its that theyve gone with the laziest 8-bit shit possible ranging from all purple/orange tile backgrounds to other horrendous shit. Half-Minute Hero is gorgeous for instance, as is stuff like Cave Story. Megaman 9/10 manage to look worse than 3-6.
nah. 8-bit shit is still 8-bit shit. Gaming artstyle need to get the fuck out of the 80's already because it's obvious no one wants games to be relegated back to 8-bits since no one bought them, and not even downloadables. And Capcom is even worse for letting this kind of shit get greenlit twice.

Arpharmd B said:
They didn't say hard to draw. They said it wasn't as low budget as you would think.
I would imagine MM9 would cost more than Capcom co's expected budget of a pair of Twinkies and a double double.

I thought everything looked exactly as an NES game. The only 2 things that break the illusion are: screen fading in and out, and NES Megamen had slowdown and flicker like a motherfucker.
MM9 sported traces of particle effects and Galaxyman used colour change and gradients that would make the NES' proverbial head explode.

Those look awesome but I don't have a PSP. 3d Dot Heroes is my reason for wanting a PS3.
Refer to the first quote of this post.

Trurl

Banned
voodoopanda said:
Mega Man 9 is the closest to video games as art because it purposefully restricts it's artistic medium to create it's visuals in a specific way, as opposed to the technological horse race of most mainstream video games.
You just gave Howard Roark an aneurysm. ;-)

StAidan

I am sooooo ready for another Mega Man installment. MM9 just might be my favorite game of the decade so far.

madara

So awesome! I hope they work their way up to something more visually challenging eventually. 16-bit was the pinnacle, great moving art but still leaving you with enough to imagine the rest.

Maybe its because MM9 made me realise how much of a old school gaming pussy I am, but I'm glad that article mentions a new 'Easy' mode. I got schooled hard on MM9

Great news!

jman2050

In what universe does Mega Man 9 look like shit? It's visually more interesting than at least half of the previous 8-bit Mega Mans...

udivision

jman2050 said:
In what universe does Mega Man 9 look like shit? It's visually more interesting than at least half of the previous 8-bit Mega Mans...

Yea... but we can do better now. We have the technology.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but are some people complaining about the lack of graphics and for that reason would have preferred for the game to be 16-bit? :/

Regardless if people wanted the most advanced looking Megaman game as possible then Capcom wold have called either Vanillaware, Wayforward or Production IG to do the graphics.

lyre said:
nah. 8-bit shit is still 8-bit shit. Gaming artstyle need to get the fuck out of the 80's already because it's obvious no one wants games to be relegated back to 8-bits since no one bought them, and not even downloadables. And Capcom is even worse for letting this kind of shit get greenlit twice.

:lol If noone bought them then why did Capcom greenlight this?

It was because MM9 sold very well and was highly praised.

And just because somethings from a certain time period doesn't mean it can't still be aesthetically appealing. Yes most NES/Master System games as well as PSX/N64/Saturn games look like shit, but there are exceptions.

I never played Mega Man Legends but man, people about it like it's amazing. Does it still hold up today? Would love it if Capcom released this on PSN so people could buy it. I know I would, just to see what all the fuss is about.

CartridgeBlower said:
I never played Mega Man Legends but man, people about it like it's amazing. Does it still hold up today? Would love it if Capcom released this on PSN so people could buy it. I know I would, just to see what all the fuss is about.
the shooting mechanics are REALLY dated. you can't really aim and the majority of enemies go down by just running sideways and shooting. everything else is fine.

either way, megaman has died a good while ago. capcom has just been raping the corpse ever since.

Tain

I don't like the visual decision. I'm more lenient towards MM9 having the original NES visuals, but that's because most of the development budget went to reverse-engineering the original games. That's not needed a second time around, and I think that 7 similar-looking MM games is enough.

If Capcom wanted me to be excited about the visuals, they'd make something that looks as good as The Power Battle, which none of the console games to this point have.

As for the rest of the game, we'll see!

Lan_97

SecretBonusPoint said:

Megaman 2 was good because it was a good platformer, not because of the sparse backgrounds. And if they pull that blurry filter shit again, I will be pissed.

CartridgeBlower said:

Playing it about a year ago, the controls are TERRIBLE. Way too slow and cumbersome. But the presentation, the graphics, and overall fun atmosphere of the title. I think one of the reasons people want a sequel so badly is because overhauled controls would work so well on the Wii. It's not so much the typical "It's awesome, there needs to be another one" demand as much as "A little fixing up for todays generation of consoles would be an awesome game"

Anyway back to MM10. I'm really surprised to see people yearn for easier difficulty. I went into MM9 and got a really satisfying challenge, and I never considered myself the kind of rugged hardcore gamer who lives for sadistic gameplay. Do people consider SMB3 wicked difficult too? Because that's what I'd equate it to. I had a harder time with Uncharted on Crushing and Super Mario Galaxy.

Somnid

Ah shit, another $10 down the drain on a game I have no chance of completing. Well, at least I can enjoy the soundtrack.

I also had a feeling they would do this as soon as MM4 didn't show up in the VC roster. I think MMX9 is a possibility for the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom