• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly under fire for interview with Alex Jones

No, no; you guys just don't get it. You're all part of the problem because you refuse to coddle these racists. You have to be better, not the other way around.

After watching the interview it seems Megyn Kelly wants to be another Diane Sawyer or something, but the damage is already done for me. Was a good interview and information piece though.

Slacker

All of Megyn Kelly and NBC's defenses come off real hollow when she was hanging around posing for photos with Alex Jones. That's not how a real journalist operates. All of the actions in association with this interview speak to a complete lack of seriousness given to the subject.

My thoughts exactly. "We're going to shine a light on this reprehensible way you've talked about there conspiracy theories, hard hitting interview style. But first let's take some fun pictures together!"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Actions speak louder than words. So far, she has done a great job of reporting at NBC.

You don't think she had producers whispering in her ear telling her what to do in order to push the Fox News agenda? Wouldn't surprise me if Fox pulls that crap more than any other news network. I think Megyn started looking for a way out of the network after how Trump treated her after the first republican debate. That was her tipping point that maybe being a pawn for a network like Fox wasn't healthy for her.

That makes her look even worse in my eyes honestly. If it took Trump coming to power to make her realize she was working at the wrong network for the wrong people after all that time, then she either has no fucking clue or she was willing to push that narrative until it began to turn on her.

Megyn Kelly deserves a second chance. If people weren't given second chances, whats the point in changing your behavior at all if people are only going to judge you for your past?

Chance 1

After McKinney, Texas police officer Eric Casebolt was caught on camera manhandling a 15-year-old black girl and dragging her to the ground, Kelly insisted that she didn’t want to make excuses for the officer’s behavior… but then proceeded to make excuses anyway.

“The girl was no saint, either,” Kelly said of Dajerria Becton. “He had told her to leave, and she continued to linger. When a cop tells you to leave, get out.”

Chance 2

She once claimed First Lady Michelle Obama and others who call for social justice are perpetuating a culture of ‘victimhood’: “It takes away your power to send the message that you are a victim and you will remain a victim unless the man gets his foot off of your neck.”

Chance 3

During a discussion with Wall Street Journal columnist Bret Stephens, Kelly “dismissed the Department of Justice (DOJ) report on Ferguson Police Department’s disproportionate targeting of blacks as a ‘case of bad apples,‘” according to Media Matters. “Despite serious findings of racial bias and stereotyping in the department, Kelly called the report ‘problematic,’ arguing that ‘there are very few companies in America…[where]…you won’t find racist emails.'”

Chance 4

In a September 2015 panel discussion, Kelly tried to diagnose the problem of violence and poverty in black communities, saying that a "them versus us," "anti-cop" culture is partly to blame.

"People have called it the 'thug mentality,' and that's a controversial term," she said. "But that it's cool to sort of hate the cops, and hang out — and be somebody who doesn't necessarily prize being there for your family, and so on. And how do you reverse that?"

Chance 5

Following the death of Sandra Bland in July 2015, Kelly suggested that Bland could have done something to prevent her arrest.

An officer in Waller County, Texas, pulled Bland over for not signaling before changing lanes. After being violently arrested, Bland was found dead in her jail cell three days later in an apparent suicide that was later investigated as murder.

"Even if you know the cop is in the wrong, comply and complain later," Kelly later said while interviewing Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke on her show.

This is even without getting into that time she felt the need to reassure kids watching her show that Santa was in fact a white guy.

That makes her look even worse in my eyes honestly. If it took Trump coming to power to make her realize she was working at the wrong network for the wrong people after all that time, well fuck her.

This was before he came to power. It was when Trump refused to attend a debate if that woman who bleeds out of her...wherever...was a moderator (Megyn Kelly). And Fox didn't stand up for Megyn at all.

Earl Grey tea with receipts.

Add in her whole "Don't worry kids, Santa is white" nonsense, or her whole women need to stop crying about maternity leave thinking they're entitled to it...then Megyn herself got pregnant and changed her whole tune never once offering an apology or anything.

BunnyBear

Enjoy another four years of Trump in office with attitudes like this. You've no chance of nurturing progressive discourse with this approach. Seriously, when in the history of humanity has calling someone nasty names achieved a single fucking thing? You are making yourselves feel better with a crude outburst of endorphins, while contributing to the atmosphere you so despise.

I find it so frustrating because I'm fighting for the same thing. I want Trump out of office, I want crazies like Jones relegated to an embarrassing footnote in history books, I want people to accept that racism is as prevalent today as it ever has been, but one thing I've learnt in my time is that dismissing and deriding people doesn't achieve a thing, and we really need to be working towards making a positive change. It starts with how we interact with the people with which we disagree.

I'd never defend Kelly's past offences, but she seems to be forging a new path and the results so far have been progressive.

PS: Do you really think she left solely for the money? You don't think Fox would have matched the offer? Get real.

HStallion

This was before he came to power. It was when Trump refused to attend a debate if that woman who bleeds out of her...wherever...was a moderator (Megyn Kelly). And Fox didn't stand up for Megyn at all.

Yeah and? My point still stands is she stuck around pushing the Fox News narrative hard until they turned on her.

Kettch

So we've moved on from "You can't interview horrible people" to "Megyn Kelly is a terrible person"? Well, that I can agree with at least.

Enjoy another four years of Trump in office with attitudes like this. You've no chance of nurturing progressive discourse with this approach. Seriously, when in the history of humanity has calling someone nasty names achieved a single fucking thing? You are making yourselves feel better with a crude outburst of endorphins, while contributing to the atmosphere you so despise.

I find it so frustrating because I'm fighting for the same thing. I want Trump out of office, I want crazies like Jones relegated to an embarrassing footnote in history books, I want people to accept that racism is as prevalent today as it ever has been, but one thing I've learnt in my time is that dismissing and deriding people doesn't achieve a thing, and we really need to be working towards making a positive change. It starts with how we interact with the people with which we disagree.

I'd never defend Kelly's past offences, but she seems to be forging a new path and the results so far have been progressive.

PS: Do you really think she left solely for the money? You don't think Fox would have matched the offer? Get real.

lol

BunnyBear

All of Megyn Kelly and NBC's defenses come off real hollow when she was hanging around posing for photos with Alex Jones. That's not how a real journalist operates. All of the actions in association with this interview speak to a complete lack of seriousness given to the subject.

This is bollocks. The photo was for promotional purposes, it's not like she was taking selfies and fawning over him. She approached the interview with complete sincerity.

HStallion

Yes because well over a decade of reaching across the aisle has worked so damn well for the Democrats and the Left. If the GOP actually listened instead of stone walling everything in the most hypocritical manner possible I'd be fine with this,"talk it out" mentality. Problem is one side has based its entire strategy on not talking it out and actively working against the other side in every capacity all the damn time. Most of our problems in this country seems to be because people think you can work with the modern GOP when their entire strategy is to undermine everyone working against them and label them as monsters trying to destroy the country.

platakul

Banned

Where do you rank David Frum on a scale of one to 10

HStallion

How can you hope to win back the people who voted him into office when your own behaviour is juvenile and petty?

You get the half the of the country that didn't vote at all to actually come out and vote for your candidates and ignore those that never will because they think you're the devil and destroying the country they love with every move you make just because you're part of the left.

How can you hope to win back the people who voted him into office when your own behaviour is juvenile and petty?

I really don't care to "win" them back at all. Sure as hell not if I have to put my and other PoC/minorities personhood and humanity on the negotiation table under the guise of a mere "difference in opinion/viewpoints".

If you and people like you spent half as much time trying to educate these people as you do preaching to minorities and PoC to "understand and empathise" with these folks we'd probably be a much better nation.

BunnyBear

Yes because well over a decade of reaching across the aisle has worked so damn well for the Democrats and the Left. If the GOP actually listened instead of stone walling everything in the most hypocritical manner possible I'd be fine with this,"talk it out" mentality. Problem is one side has based its entire strategy on not talking it out and actively working against the other side in every capacity all the damn time. Most of our problems in this country seems to be because people think you can work with the modern GOP when their entire strategy is to undermine everyone working against them and label them as monsters trying to destroy the country.

Aiming it at the GOP establishment is pointless, it's the independents, the swing voters, the unengaged, those are the ones you need to attract with your message. And I personally don't see how you're gonna achieve that when crudely calling people in the arena 'pieces of shit' seems to be the only contribution many posters here can muster.

Yeah, you keep giving a voice to these unrepentant racists. Why try to humanize people who make a living off of dehumanizing the disadvantaged? You can't just resolve a person's sordid past just because you like a couple of their recent interviews, especially when that person hasn't shown any remorse for those transgressions whatsoever. Why does the victim have to keep reaching out to his/her oppressor, in the hope that one day they will see the light? Why can't the onus be on the asshole to change his/her ways?

Alucrid

Banned
Aiming it at the GOP establishment is pointless, it's the independents, the swing voters, the unengaged, those are the ones you need to attract with your message. And I personally don't see how you're gonna achieve that when crudely calling people in the arena 'pieces of shit' seems to be the only contribution many posters here can muster.

it's good that you assume the only action people take is calling out megyn kelly on neogaf

Then as I said, enjoy Trump until 2024.

gee, how are you going to change our minds with an attitude like that?

HStallion

The GOP and Trump especially, won the election on calling the other sides pieces of shit and much of the nation's population that wasn't white, straight and male. What world are you living on?

Again the entire premise of your argument is that the GOP are not only willing to listen but they are actually willing to evolve and work together with those they often paint as monsters and terrible disgusting people. We have seen that is not the case over and over and over again for decades now.

BunnyBear

You get the half the of the country that didn't vote at all to actually come out and vote for your candidates and ignore those that never will because they think you're the devil and destroying the country they love with every move you make just because you're part of the left.

I agree with the first bit, but the second bit is asinine because you simply create the situation Obama faced where he couldn't get much done because the GOP had too much power. You're going to have to win SOME of these people over one day if you ever want to have a clear majority to push through a progressive agenda.

It's just the way it is.

HStallion

I agree with the first bit, but the second bit is asinine because you simply create the situation Obama faced where he couldn't get much done because the GOP had too much power. You're going to have to win SOME of these people over one day if you ever want to have a clear majority to push through a progressive agenda.

It's just the way it is.

No you don't. The entire point of my post is you can say fuck you to that 25 percent of the country that is willing to wallow in the GOP dream of America no matter. You get the other 50 percent of people who didn't come out to vote and use that to get things done. You get those numbers and you drag the GOP base kicking and screaming into modern times whether they like it or not. Much the same way we've done things in this country like getting rid of segregation.

platocplx

they are a lost cause. you can win back people who are deeply rooted in their 'isms. Especially when it wasnt even a majority that voted for him.

Should just focus on getting voting maps corrected and work around those areas.

Do you even know JUST how bad his voters are? I have a map that correlated the top searches for racist terms and the nearly neatly overlay the areas where he had the most support.

you cannot win back people like that.

Heres the map from the republican primary vs racist terms:
X8DpvBb.jpg

It's just the way it is.

obama lost 4% of democratic votes compared to john kerry during his terms.

It's just the way it is.

Those people would literally rather die than support any kind of progressive agenda.

Kettch

Then as I said, enjoy Trump until 2024.

You do realize Clinton got 3 million more votes last time around right? If things stay the same, Democrats most likely win the next one.

Convincing 3rd party and non-voters to come around is far more productive than going after Trump voters. That's where the effort needs to be to build a cushion so a fluke like 2016 doesn't happen again.

BunnyBear

The GOP and Trump especially, won the election on calling the other sides pieces of shit and much of the nation's population that wasn't white, straight and male. What world are you living on?

Again the entire premise of your argument is that the GOP are not only willing to listen but they are actually willing to evolve and work together with those they often paint as monsters and terrible disgusting people. We have seen that is not the case over and over and over again for decades now.

No, they won because Trump engaged with a rural America that felt left behind, rightly or wrongly. Racism was a part of it, but jobs probably played just as big a role for money people, and they believed his coal-powered agenda was right for them. It's not, and we have to make them see how.

The second bit is a disastrous and inaccurate summation of my argument. You'll note that I have continually said we have to target the voters, not the GOP establishment.

KingV

Where do you rank David Frum on a scale of one to 10

I like David Frum but don't like Kelly.

1) I think Fox News is actually worse than the W era GOP. They have been more extreme for quite a long time.
2) David Frum has done a pretty complete denunciation of the modern GOP. I'm not even sure I would classify him as particularly conservative by today's standards, being that he has reversed course on gay marriage, gun control, the tea party, and the ACA. And he did so fairly early. And he voted for Hillary.
3) more importantly he was willing to bite the hand that fed him. Kelly has not really.

BunnyBear

How are you going to change our minds with an attitude like that?

I explained why, several times, you're just here for cheap shots. If you're going to use your energy in that way, as it seems many of you are, then yeah, I see Trump's re-election a 50/50 proposition when realistically it should be almost 0.

HStallion

No, they won because Trump engaged with a rural America that felt left behind, rightly or wrongly. Racism was a part of it, but jobs probably played just as big a role for money people, and they believed his coal-powered agenda was right for them. It's not, and we have to make them see how.

The second bit is a disastrous and inaccurate summation of my argument. You'll note that I have continually said we have to target the voters, not the GOP establishment.

The Votes that are a part of the GOP establishment? If these people continue to vote these scum bags into power over and over and over again despite their policies being terrible and affecting them in terrible ways then yes they're part of the problem.

BunnyBear

You do realize Clinton got 3 million more votes last time around right? If things stay the same, Democrats most likely win the next one.

Convincing 3rd party and non-voters to come around is far more productive than going after Trump voters. That's where the effort needs to be to build a cushion so a fluke like 2016 doesn't happen again.

This forum wouldn't even accept the idea that Trump had a chance of winning even as the votes were being read. People were so dismissive to the point of being aggressive. "Most likely" doesn't cut it.

Agree with the second bit. My point is though that if we contribute to the fiery discourse then why would people traditionally uninterested or averse to politics want to get involved?

HStallion

This forum wouldn't even accept the idea that Trump had a chance of winning even as the votes were being read. People were so dismissive to the point of being aggressive. "Most likely" doesn't cut it.

Agree with the second bit. My point is though that if we contribute to the fiery discourse then why would people traditionally uninterested or averse to politics want to get involved?

That was the entire nation buddy, not just this forum but thanks for the GAF hive mind post. Always enlightening.

You can still call out the bull shit of the other side and appeal to voters. A lot of these people voted in both of Obama's elections and those were no less firey or contentious.

Ernest

Banned
He's not looney tunes. Like most of these alt-right, far right extreme conservative conspiracy pushing mouth pieces they are playing a role because they are semi-good at manipulation with no moral compass holding them back trying to make lots of money. The douchebag probably doesn't believe 90% of the bullshit he shovels and him and his "journalist' just scour the internet daily for the stupidest most fear mongering shit they can plaster as news to keep the clicks coming.

It's a thousand times worse than being looney tunes.
You do a bit long enough, it penetrates your psyche, and it morphs from a "role" to your actual persona. I think Jones morphed into this a few years after his 9/11 bullshit.

BunnyBear

The Votes that are a part of the GOP establishment? If these people continue to vote these scum bags into power over and over and over again despite their policies being terrible and affecting them in terrible ways then yes they're part of the problem.

Sure, some of them are, but a big part of his appeal to many was his anti-establishment rhetoric, so its simplistic to lump all his supporters in with the GOP.

I dare say he would have gone close to winning even as an Independent, had he split away during the drama of the primary's.

I explained why, several times, you're just here for cheap shots. If you're going to use your energy in that way, as it seems many of you are, then yeah, I see Trump's re-election a 50/50 proposition when realistically it should be almost 0.

As I said in my previous post. I really don't care to "win" them back at all. Sure as hell not if I have to put my and other PoC/minorities personhood and humanity on the negotiation table under the guise of a mere "difference in opinion/viewpoints".

If you and people like you spent half as much time trying to educate these people as you do preaching to minorities and PoC to "understand and empathise" with these folks we'd probably be a much better nation.

HStallion

Sure, some of them are, but a big part of his appeal to many was his anti-establishment rhetoric, so its simplistic to lump all his supporters in with the GOP.

I dare say he would have gone close to winning even as an Independent, had he split away during the drama of the primary's.

Yeah and by supporting that anti establishment rhetoric they also support the bigotry, the xenophobia, the lust for violence and so on that goes with the GOP. You can't just ignore that whether they'd like to or not. It stains them.

BunnyBear

That was the entire nation buddy, not just this forum but thanks for the GAF hive mind post. Always enlightening.

You can still call out the bull shit of the other side and appeal to voters. A lot of these people voted in both of Obama's elections and those were no less firey or contentious.

Yes it was, but GAF was a good example of just how out of hand it all got, and how people were so single-minded and dismissive.

Of course you can call it out, but there's better ways of doing it than with crude personal attacks and disgusting rhetoric about another human being.

You CANNOT be serious that this wasn't the most firey or contentious election ever. Come on now. 2008 was a cakewalk comparatively because you didn't have the huge influence of fake news and social media on the level of discourse. 2012 was decidedly worse and racism reared its head but Romney was moderate in a lot of ways so he didn't fire up the right-leaning voters like Trump did. It was nothing like the toxic, bile-filled 2016 election, where I think most would agree it was the most brutal of all time. I'm shocked you would say that.

HStallion

Yes it was, but GAF was a good example of just how out of hand it all got, and how people were so single-minded and dismissive.

Of course you can call it out, but there's better ways of doing it than with crude personal attacks and disgusting rhetoric about another human being.

You CANNOT be serious that this wasn't the most firey or contentious election ever. Come on now. 2008 was a cakewalk comparatively because you didn't have the huge influence of fake news and social media on the level of discourse. 2012 was decidedly worse and racism reared its head but Romney was moderate in a lot of ways so he didn't fire up the right-leaning voters like Trump did. It was nothing like the toxic, bile-filled 2016 election, where I think most would agree it was the most brutal of all time. I'm shocked you would say that.

It wasn't as bad as the last election but I saw people burning effigies of Obama, saw him dressed up like Hitler, saw people beheading puppets of him and saying he should be shot and so on and so forth. That isn't even including all the racist stuff and everything else. The mean and ugly side on the right has been one they've nurtured for a long time.

BunnyBear

As I said in my previous post. I really don't care to "win" them back at all. Sure as hell not if I have to put my and other PoC/minorities personhood and humanity on the negotiation table under the guise of a mere "difference in opinion/viewpoints".

Your grand contribution to this thread was writing 'lol' and excruciating one liners, whereas I am trying to improve the level of discourse by engaging people and responding respectfully. And I'm the one who is not helping make America a better nation? Right...

I won't pretend to understand your bitterness towards these people who have caused you so much misery, it would be disingenuous for me to do so, but I won't follow along with your defeatist attitude. To be clear, I'm talking about reconnecting with the moderates, the independents, the swingers, the people we can realistically reel back in. I'm not talking about the alt-right crazies like Jones and Breitbart and the white supremacists. You're right, they are beyond redemption but thankfully they represent a tiny sliver of the political landscape (albeit a loud one).

BunnyBear

It wasn't as bad as the last election but I saw people burning effigies of Obama, saw him dressed up like Hitler, saw people beheading puppets of him and saying he should be shot and so on and so forth. That isn't even including all the racist stuff and everything else. The mean and ugly side on the right has been one they've nurtured for a long time.

The arrival of a black man as a realistic presidential nominee did indeed bring out the crazies. It definitely intensified after Bush. But as I said from the beginning, those aren't the people who will keep Trump in power. It's the swing-voters who will, some who voted Trump for whatever reason. We have to win them back, but by writing them all off then we're potentially energising them to double down, as humans so oft tend to do when challenged.

KoopaTheCasual

Your grand contribution to this thread was writing 'lol' and excruciating one liners, whereas I am trying to improve the level of discourse by engaging people and responding respectfully. And I'm the one who is not helping make America a better nation? Right...

I won't pretend to understand your bitterness towards these people who have caused you so much misery, it would be disingenuous for me to do so, but I won't follow along with your defeatist attitude. To be clear, I'm talking about reconnecting with the moderates, the independents, the swingers, the people we can realistically reel back in. I'm not talking about the alt-right crazies like Jones and Breitbart and the white supremacists. You're right, they are beyond redemption but thankfully they represent a tiny sliver of the political landscape (albeit a loud one).
Then literally, why is anyone in this thread arguing.

Pretty sure Angelus is of the same opinion that the far-right is a lost cause, and we simply need to double down on constituents and independents.

It's just annoying when people use the rhetoric akin to 'reach across the isle' since it's actually impossible for people that look like Angelus and myself. This is why he's saying that you should also use your energy for those independents, instead of lecturing people who really can't do much about it.

HStallion

The arrival of a black man as a realistic presidential nominee did indeed bring out the crazies. It definitely intensified after Bush. But as I said from the beginning, those aren't the people who will keep Trump in power. It's the swing-voters who will, some who voted Trump for whatever reason. We have to win them back, but by writing them all off then we're potentially energising them to double down, as humans so oft tend to do when challenged.

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm saying fuck off to the 25% or so of the country that always votes for the GOP and that we need to get the 50% of people who didn't vote or consider themselves in the middle to vote with the left.

platocplx

When Obama got elected Stormfront had tons and tons of new accounts created. its no coincidence.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Enjoy another four years of Trump in office with attitudes like this.
Hahahaha not this shit again

Yeah, because Trump voters are known for responding well to civil discourse and rational arguments. And Trump himself, and his voters, never show themselves to be petty and juvenile. Get real.

Receipts? And any evidence that she is repentant at all?

Nah, I'm sure that the sexual harassment culture must have bothered her too. But only as soon as it affected her personally, of course.

commedieu

Banned

Nah. They're a bunch of morons. The GOP is evil and is rolling back environmental and educational protections. Every single trump voter can go fuck themselves. They are children who know better, but they vote against their own interests to keep the country "the way it was" before minorities could use the same bathrooms.

Get more sane people to turn up and vote. Coddling racists and literal morons got us here. Giving them a platform was a mistake that cost the election. Jobs in dying industries are always going to die. Clinton had a great plan, but they went with the bigot instead. I can't stress that these people can pound sand enough.

Trump won by a narrow margin. There are more sane people than there are morons in the usa. Spend your time trying to prevent trump by getting people voting locally and nationally. This will be far more productive than Coddling racists.

I saw a woman who survived cancer thanks to obamacare, hate the fact that it was called obamacare, and wanted it repealed. These people are parasites to democracy. Their goals are all the opposite of those of other human beings here.

Your attitude is misplaced in thinking that your approaches are different than the decades of outreach to these people. It's been going on since the civil war, and the rights movement. Yet, people still want to sport their heritage of being against freed slaves. You have nothing novel to offer.

And your enjoy 2024 of trump cuties, is just you ignoring things being told to you, due to your own conclusion that coddling is the answer, and you won't hear anything else.

There is room for multiple approaches. Good luck turning white supremacists. At the end of the day the goal is the same. But you're putting too much importance on decades of dumbshits who've proven to be dumbshits, that just eeked out a win. That's not the end all solution you're portraying it to be. Especially looking at the popular vote.

Top Bottom