• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megyn Kelly under fire for interview with Alex Jones

I think if you focus and concentrate on a few social items you could come to the conclusion that he's not great person.

Mxztjjn.jpg

Oh he's not a very great person at all. Not even close

KingV

So it didn't air on some affiliates? Be interesting to see what the ratings will look like.

Honestly, it's dumb to bet the farm on Megan Kelly, 40% the country hates Fox News and thinks anyone that has ever touched that network is human garbage.

I will never watch Megan Kelly's show. Period, because she is either an unrepentant, non-introspective racist OR she is ok with pretending to be one. IMO, that's why the Putin interview didn't pull great ratings. It doesn't matter who she interviews. I don't trust her to do it justice. Period.

Syder

Thats what she gets for involving herself with sewage like Alex Jones. In spanish we have a saying that roughly translates to "Breed crows and they'll pluck your eyes out". Well she played with fire and got burned (similar saying).
That's a good one... What's the Spanish phrase? I haven't heard it before.

Reminds me of "you sleep with dogs, you wake up with fleas".
It's funny. Out of curiosity, I went to AJ's YouTube channel to see if he'd said anything about this interview and all the comments on the videos relating to Megyn Kelly are people saying he shouldn't have gotten involved with her. The 'you sleep with dogs' phrase was actually used in one comment.

So it didn't air on some affiliates? Be interesting to see what the ratings will look like.

Eh, don't really care about that, really makes no difference. I'm interest to see what kind of bump Jones receives from this even if it's temporary. You know there's people out there right now giving this man clicks, views, subscriptions whatever metric accounts for his millions of followers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It was a good interview. She made Alex Jones look like an idiot without even trying.

Anybody can make Alex Jones look like an idiot without trying. Just give him a microphone and let him speak. Removes all doubt.

totowhoa

Banned
or do what Joe Rogan did and give him some weed & booze.

I always meant to listen to the rest of that. I opened the YouTube video when the GAF thread came up, skipped in and watched 15 minutes and it was cuckoo bananas in a way I really, really loved.

Nasbin

This was a good interview. I suppose it's unsurprising that Alex Jones is significantly less adept at navigating probing questions than Vladimir Putin.

Jombie

I didn't find it particularly interesting, just a glimpse into the post-truth era we now live in. I did, however, find it amusing how his show revolves around mulling over random fucking articles from the internet. It's no different than some 'conservative' rube finding a doctored picture of Hillary Clinton with Bin Laden and posting it on Facebook. I have no clue what I'm going to tell my daughter about this when she grows up, assuming we're still here.

BunnyBear

All the hate directed towards her in the lead-up to this was unwarranted. It was a very solid interview.

Fuck we're too quick to judge more often than not.

LiK

I see the bar's pretty low for "good"

She asked the questions that needed to be asked such as the Sandy Hook hoax shit. It wasn't fluff and her reaction to his comments about it showed she gave a shit. She even gave a parent of Sandy Hook some time to rebutt Jones' stupid comments.

So yes, it was a good interview.

All the hate directed towards her in the lead-up to this was unwarranted. It was a very solid interview.

I bet some people didn't even watch it but want to comment.

chaosaeon

Sandy Hook conspiracy theory ? Was that about that parent who went on TV and was laughing or something and seemed to not care at all, then they told him he was live and he suddenly started crying and completely shifted ? Or was it something else ? I still don't know what happened with that.

The problem with shining a light on cockroaches these days is that they have evolved. The cockroaches run towards the light.

What normal, decent people see is not really the benchmark for how things are interpreted anymore. People are fucking nuts. Showing how Trump links to Alex Jones seems like a good idea, maybe people will think wow that's messed up. But in reality, people are like 'Trump links to Alex Jones? He must have some credibility, maybe Kelly is trying to smear Jones and this is an example of what the President is talking about with fake news'.

Link

The Autumn Wind

I have no interest in legitimizing Megyn Kelly as a "journalist." No one that shilled for Fox News and spread the kind of FUD they pedal should be allowed to come out the other side like everything they did was ok.

I hope her show gets cancelled with the quickness and no one else wants to touch her after that.

BunnyBear

I bet some people didn't even watch it but want to comment.

I would bet a vast majority of people did and will not watch it but were the first to spout off earlier in this thread with their nonsense.

She dressed him down and made him look a sweaty fool. She could have focused more on what it says about the state of discourse at the moment, but it was still solid.

Sandy Hook conspiracy theory ? Was that about that parent who went on TV and was laughing or something and seemed to not care at all, then they told him he was live and he suddenly started crying and completely shifted ? Or was it something else ? I still don't know what happened with that.

Congratulations, you're continuing that FUD narrative. Are you "just asking questions," or are you actually ignorant of what happened? Forgive me if you're truly in the dark, but your post is word-for-word how all these various Truthers phrase their skepticism. "What's this [conspiracy] thing? Is that about the girl who slept with a journalist for good reviews? I think I read something about the melting point of steel beams. It says "Certificate of Live Birth," that's not what mine says. What ever happened with that?"

ColdPizza

Banned
I have no interest in legitimizing Megyn Kelly as a "journalist." No one that shilled for Fox News and spread the kind of FUD they pedal should be allowed to come out the other side like everything they did was ok.

I hope her show gets cancelled with the quickness and no one else wants to touch her after that.

Thank God most people don't think like you do.

BunnyBear

Yeah, and it's irrational attitudes like this that got us into the mess we're now in, where half the country refuse to consider the position of the other side. When we treat ideology as so black and white, and paint people as pure good and pure evil beyond redemption, we lose any hope of compromise and pushing people towards enlightenment. Should Megan and Grace Roper, former members of Westboro Baptist Church, be condemned for eternity because they once held up despicable signs and preached hate? Now they've denounced their past, and are doing good things, but using your logic they are beyond redemption. Your position on this is asinine and counter-productive.

Kelly has said some fucked up stuff in the past, and she definitely contributed to the current toxic political atmosphere, but her recent work has been fair and reasoned, and she held Trump to account. Kelly is a journalist and quite a good one, get over it and work on how you contribute to the discussion.

Yeoman

People are still legitimatising Megyn "Don't worry Santa is white" Kelly?
When is this worthless sack of shit going to fade away with the rest of her ilk?

_Ryo_

How is what I said ironic?

You say we are too quick to judge someone who has no problem herself being quick to judge and stereotype minorities/black people.

You will soon find out no one that actually cares is interested in supporting her or legitimizing her in any way.

People are still legitimatising Megyn "Don't worry Santa is white" Kelly?
When is this worthless sack of shit going to fade away with the rest of her ilk?

My favorite one is the month or so where her leading story was the two black men standing outside of a polling place in Philly, and she was manipulating her viewers to believe that all across the country the Black Panthers were at polling places intimidating white voters. She played the video over and over every day and was selling the story that black people were militarizing and starting a takeover of the country, starting with the election.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The 24 hour gotcha news cycle has ruined everything. Real journalism takes time, investigation, vetting and attention. You rarely see that anymore. Those that excel have more time to do so. And when they do it's ignored or glossed over because of some other big news.

This is more true than anything else that can be said. The 24 hour news cycle and the demand that news networks bring in big ratings has made real journalism something only seen in National Geographic specials. They have been killing it recently in all honesty.

BunnyBear

You say we are too quick to judge someone who has no problem herself being quick to judge and stereotype minorities/black people.

You will soon find out no one that actually cares is interested in supporting her or legitimizing her in any way.

Yeah, except there's already several people in this thread beside me who are willing to approach the discussion with a bit of realism. I agree she's said some fucked up stuff in her time, but I'm willing to give her another chance and her output in the last year or two has been quite progressive. People change, attitudes change, people make mistakes, people say stupid things. We must be willing to listen and discuss and give people another chance, particularly when they seem to be forging a new path.

I can assure you that writing her off with a spiteful one-liner will achieve precisely fuck all.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah, except there's already several people in this thread beside me who are willing to approach the discussion with a bit of realism. I agree she's said some fucked up stuff in her time, but I'm willing to give her another chance and her output in the last year or two has been quite progressive. People change, attitudes change, people make mistakes, people say stupid things. We must be willing to listen and discuss and give people another chance, particularly when they seem to be forging a new path.

I can assure you that writing her off with a spiteful one-liner will achieve precisely fuck all.

I wrote her off a long time ago for her long and storied history of bull shit, bigotry and all that. I also don't think she's gotten all that progressive in the last year, more like she just wasn't full on carny crazy like most of those at Fox News when the Trump train rolled into station. She is gonna need a whole lot more than just not being full on crazytown and a couple of ok interviews for me to really consider her anything more than a bull shit artist who has gotten better at hiding her and legitimizing her bull shit.

His fucking kid died and not everyone acts how they do in the movies when shit like that happens. Like shocker, you can be laughing at one point then the reality of the situation tears into you like a shiv. Jesus fucking Christ with this.

People trying to say "give Megyn Kelly a chance..!" need to give it a rest. It's pathetic how easily pretty white women can play the "victim" card to excuse their appalling behaviour.

She's been given many chances over her long career in the public eye to apologize over her BS, her racism and her propagation of extreme right-wing stupidity and she failed to do so.

NEVER FORGET

What she's trying to do by branding herself as some sort of "white girl feminist icon" and now switching up her image for a shiny new network is exactly what she's been doing for several years now. She's just playing in her self interests.

It boggles the mind that people will accept this Islamophobic, racist piece of trash as some sort of enlightened journalist just because she stood up against sexism in her workplace ONLY AFTER SHE HERSELF WAS AFFECTED.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, and it's irrational attitudes like this that got us into the mess we're now in, where half the country refuse to consider the position of the other side.
lmao, sure

Should Megan and Grace Roper, former members of Westboro Baptist Church, be condemned for eternity because they once held up despicable signs and preached hate? Now they've denounced their past, and are doing good things, but using your logic they are beyond redemption.
No, the comparison fails because of the bolded part which is rather fucking important. Has Megyn Kelly denounced her past? Is she disavowing all the garbage she said when she was on Fox? Has she been calling Fox News out for the cesspool of disgusting propaganda that it is? If you can show evidence of those things, then sure, the comparison will have merit.

Otherwise, no. She's a greedy opportunist who just left Fox News for (understandable) personal reasons, even if she's at a more respectable network now, she's still racist scum until proven otherwise.

People trying to say "give Megyn Kelly a chance..!" need to give it a rest. It's pathetic how easily pretty white women can play the "victim" card to excuse their appalling behaviour.

She's been given many chances over her long career in the public eye to apologize over her BS, her racism and her propagation of extreme right-wing stupidity and she failed to do so.

NEVER FORGET

What she's trying to do by branding herself as some sort of "white girl feminist icon" and now switching up her image for a shiny new network is exactly what she's been doing for several years now. She's just playing in her self interests.

It boggles the mind that people will accept this Islamophobic, racist piece of trash as some sort of enlightened journalist just because she stood up against sexism in her workplace ONLY AFTER SHE HERSELF WAS AFFECTED.

Bingo

Link

The Autumn Wind
Yeah, and it's irrational attitudes like this that got us into the mess we're now in, where half the country refuse to consider the position of the other side. When we treat ideology as so black and white, and paint people as pure good and pure evil beyond redemption, we lose any hope of compromise and pushing people towards enlightenment. Should Megan and Grace Roper, former members of Westboro Baptist Church, be condemned for eternity because they once held up despicable signs and preached hate? Now they've denounced their past, and are doing good things, but using your logic they are beyond redemption. Your position on this is asinine and counter-productive.

Kelly has said some fucked up stuff in the past, and she definitely contributed to the current toxic political atmosphere, but her recent work has been fair and reasoned, and she held Trump to account. Kelly is a journalist and quite a good one, get over it and work on how you contribute to the discussion.
This is, quite frankly, a load of bullshit. This is not two sides of the same coin. I'm not dismissing something because of a "difference of opinion." You're like the people that pass off white supremacist or Nazism as a "differing political viewpoint."

And in what universe has Kelly's recent work been fair and reasoned? And how has she denounced her past? Just because she left Fox for a huge payday doesn't mean she's suddenly atoning for her sins. Now she's just attempting bring her "just asking questions" brand of reporting to a new audience.

No thanks.

cakely

Isn't it about ethics in journalism?

No one is fooled by your "innocent question".

Megyn Kelly deserves a second chance. If people weren't given second chances, whats the point in changing your behavior at all if people are only going to judge you for your past?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Megyn Kelly deserves a second chance. If people weren't given second chances, whats the point in changing your behavior at all if people are only going to judge you for your past?
I reserve this for people that have made one mistake or bad decision, and then show true remorse for it, not for people with a long, consistent history of being awful without showing an once of regret for it.

pushbyte

Neo Member

I think people deserve redemption, but that's something that's earned and not given. To rephrase: the onus is on the one who erred to correct themselves and prove to others that they've learned from their mistakes; otherwise, you simply enable poor behavior with a the understanding that all past shittiness can be shrugged off.

If Megyn Kelly proves herself to be a decent journalist and makes an effort to offset her shitty bigotry-enabling career at Fox (if that's even possible), then yes, she deserves a second chance.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You also don't just get a second chance, you gotta earn that and in my opinion Kelly never earned it, far from it. Again an ok interview with a loon like Alex Jones doesn't somehow make me forgive the years of ugly bull shit at Fox News.

Please. Megyn Kelly is a very well-educated woman. She knows exactly what she was doing at FN and did it because it was lucrative.

Every day she kept pushing right-wing horseshit was a new chance for her to be like, "You know what? I'm better than this." Each day was a new chance. It wasn't like she was forced to do anything; like FOX News somehow enslaved her and made her say shit.

So she's way past her 2nd chance at this point.

Not to mention she's never acknowledged she fucked up.

Alucrid

Banned

er are we just giving her a second chance because she left fox for probably a more lucrative and high profile job at another network?

I'm still upset we lost Tamron Hill for Megyn fucking Kelly.

I wrote her off a long time ago for her long and storied history of bull shit, bigotry and all that. I also don't think she's gotten all that progressive in the last year, more like she just wasn't full on carny crazy like most of those at Fox News when the Trump train rolled into station. She is gonna need a whole lot more than just not being full on crazytown and a couple of ok interviews for me to really consider her anything more than a bull shit artist who has gotten better at hiding her and legitimizing her bull shit.

Pretty much.

Please. Megyn Kelly is a very well-educated woman. She knows exactly what she was doing at FN and did it because it was lucrative.

Every day she kept pushing right-wing horseshit was a new chance for her to be like, "You know what? I'm better than this." Each day was a new chance. It wasn't like she was forced to do anything; like FOX News somehow enslaved her and made her say shit.

This whole post is nothing but facts, and the bold is key, I'm not giving "second chances" to someone who doesn't even admit fault. Because that alone tells you they're full of shit.

_Ryo_

Thank you. She has not given anyone any reason at all to believe she is remorseful and deserving of a second chance.

Repentant people deserve a second chance. There is no evidence that she is.

Actions speak louder than words. So far, she has done a great job of reporting at NBC.

You don't think she had producers whispering in her ear telling her what to do in order to push the Fox News agenda? Wouldn't surprise me if Fox pulls that crap more than any other news network. I think Megyn started looking for a way out of the network after how Trump treated her after the first republican debate. That was her tipping point that maybe being a pawn for a network like Fox wasn't healthy for her.

This guy's a fucking loon and has the ear of the president, which is terrifying. Pretending he doesn't exist isn't going to make him go away. I haven't watched the interview (I will try to tonight) so maybe she doesn't do a good job but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now.

Alucrid

Banned
Actions speak louder than words. So far, she has done a great job of reporting at NBC.

You don't think she had producers whispering in her ear telling her what to do in order to push the Fox News agenda? Wouldn't surprise me if Fox pulls that crap more than any other news network.

is that fact supposed to put her in a flattering light?

Top Bottom