• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising demo up on JP PSN [Region Locked. No US/EU/Asia. Snake? Snaaaaake!]

MechaX

Wow. I... I don't even see the point.

It's not like the game is terrible; hell, it's quite the opposite, as even the slightly rough ZOE2 HD Collection demo showed a ton of promise. So it's definitely not like there is something to hide.

It's not like more people downloading a JPN demo as opposed to an eventual Western demo is going to affect western sales, like at all.

Are they trying to increase sales for the ZOE HD Collection abroad? Well that would be nice if they actually had High Voltage comeback in and fix most of the framerate issues that have fans across the globe have been complaining about instead of trying to bleed out a mediocre HD Collection with a straight face.

If ZOE HD Collection was as good as it deserved to have been, then maybe, maybe I could see some faint justification in this ploy. But it wasn't (and boy, ZOE fans know this more than anyone).

Basically, if we are at the point where we are region-locking demos for illogical reasons, boy, I would hate to see how devs can top this in the future.

cuilan

Looks like my JP PS3 will be useful for something else now, other than playing import PS2/PS1 games.

Now to go download this.

MechaX

Exclusive to ZoE HD Collection.

Well, I mean there is a myriad of problems with this approach. Mostly including how people who were not interested in ZOE are not really going to buy it now, that most people already know about the technical issues the game has (and they have to know now that High Voltage Software and Konami haven't said jack shit about the game's performance issues or even fixing graphical glitches that were not in the original despite inquires lodged on twitter, facebook, etc), and if they truly decide to skimp out on a western demo before the game's release, they'll only be hurting the game's chances on the market more than otherwise.

Konami might as well be like "We're holding the demo hostage behind a niche, but well-regarded HD duo despite how we refuse to fix glitches and technical issues of said HD Collection (and said issues even managed to piss off the die-hard fans of this niche series in a lot of ways)."

And that's the part that baffles me about this whole situation; it's like Konami wants to have their cake and eat it too (by trying to bleed out ZOE sales with absolutely no effort). I guess if the game gets sold, it doesn't matter if ZOE1 or 2 are played, but why even take a risk off pissing of the public (and if there is no western Rising demo before its launch, possibly jeopardizing early says) so needlessly?

Billysan

Neo Member
This just makes me feel like boycotting the ZOE HD Collection. Is this really all ZOE is to Konami a 40 dollar demo.

Anteater

Man what a huge bummer, the first thing I did this morning was to turn on my playstation to download this too.

There’s no reason for me to go on, what am I fighting for :(

Coxy

This is clearly Atlus' fault.

Konami saw it cratering and destroying years of good will and thought "If we want to compete with capcom, we need this"

mind you I'm getting an error trying to download ANY japanese demo right now

Well... The Japanese ZOE HD Edition version of the demo through the download code wasn't retroactively region-locked. It also wasn't patched at all, so any problems that people ran into are still there I guess.

Squishy

It's annoying that it only told me it's region locked after downloading and installing the whole 3.5GB...

Have any other PSN demos ever been region locked? All the other demos that I have downloaded previously from my Japanese account all work.

I'm going to buy Rising day one, but I really wanted to try the demo :(

It's a pretty sad situation, if they are region locking a demo because the same version is being sold with a game in western territories. This is almost like Konami saying that the ZOE HD Collection is only worth buying because of the Rising demo.

I was waiting all week for this...

How disappointing. So many games are out at the same time that I know I'll like, this was one of those few occasions a demo literally was going to determine whether I tried to fit the game in or not. Guess they made it easy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
But a game isn’t a game if it isn’t fun. Even with some dramatic “Developer: PlatinumGames!” announcement, if it isn’t fun, what’s the point? What really matters is that.

panty

I have a japanese PS3 sitting on my shelf but I'm too lazy to plug it in and download a shitty demo for a shitty game.

Also are some of you seriously asking why they blocked the demo? Hint hint ZoE, money, sales.

MNC

Haha what? The standards for a meltdown must have been lowered recently because I don't see one. Would love to though....

I find this kind of meltdown-y. I laughed, though.

WTF? The demo is region locked!

Wait what?

No...no....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
2394379_o.gif

wtf!!!???!!! no way!!!?????

damn im fucking bummed out right now

What the...

:|

KONAMI YOU FUCKING COCKSUCKERS

I'm not going to buy your piece of shit ZOE2 port. Shove it down your collective throats and choke on your garbage.

Pre-order canceled. Konami obviously doesn't want me to play this game.

What the fuck, you dipshits. What's wrong with you? Fucking idiots. Go region-lock your dicks why don't you. It's clear you're not getting any at home so you fuck us instead.

Motherfucker.

Get fucked Konami. Who the hell do you think you are? Nintendo?

Raonak

Banned
I would be in rage mode if it weren't for the fact my TV is currently broken.
Didn't even know they could region lock shop content.

I have a japanese PS3 sitting on my shelf but I'm too lazy to plug it in and download a shitty demo for a shitty game.

Also are some of you seriously asking why they blocked the demo? Hint hint ZoE, money, sales.

So did you come in here just to make a condescending drive-by post and do nothing else?

Top Bottom