• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Custom Boxart Covers

sj00

I just shipped every order right now! You should recieve yours today if not tomorrow.

So... update time.

UPDATE 5: ALL MGSV COVERS SHIPPED (Except for one order that I recieved while I was shipping them all).

All 250 orders have been fulfilled. Thank you all so much for being patient, and I hope you all love the final product!

I recieved one order an hour ago while I was at Canada Post so I'll ship that out tomorrow. Sorry!

See you all in my Motherbase! :D

You are incredible. The cover looks great. Thanks so much for doing this!

R-User!

Got mine today. Love the little Portable Ops graphic on the packaging. Thanks a lot OP.

Yeah, I might cut out the Return to Sender portion and the Logo portion and keep it in my case as a keepsake and memory of the awesome effort put in by a fellow GAFfer!

Get it: Portable Ops logo?... :D

I have to think about how to repay the favor....

Ambitious

Got a UK copy too. I'm currently trying to find a high-res version of the Shinkawa art so I can print it myself. I found this, but it's for PC/Xbox:

Found one with PS4 dimensions, but unfortunately it has the PS4 logo too:

Ground-Zeros-Reverse-Cover.jpg

Checked my mail box and was disappointed to see nothing but bills, only to then find a sneaky looking package stamped with Big Boss proudly saluting at the foot of my door.

ssTX1nO.jpg

The cover looks fantastic, especially paired with the Ground Zeroes recoverable, can't wait for next week. Thanks for doing this, I know my lazy ass wouldn't have. Really appreciate it, Shagg!

Checked my mail box and was disappointed to see nothing but bills, only to then find a sneaky looking package stamped with Big Boss proudly saluting at foot of my door.

ssTX1nO.jpg

The cover looks fantastic, especially paired with the Ground Zeroes recoverable, can't wait for next week. Thanks for doing this, I know my lazy ass wouldn't have. Really appreciate it, Shagg!

Oh man! Thanks for the Xbox One pics. Looks stellar!

For folks asking for high resolution: go here to find all material: http://www.deviantart.com/art/MGSV-P...Made-546249708

Open PDF in Photoshop for beat result.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It appears my store received the game today, so I'm picking it up tomorrow in the afternoon. I NEED MY COVER NAO.

I know, patience.

Checked my mail box and was disappointed to see nothing but bills, only to then find a sneaky looking package stamped with Big Boss proudly saluting at the foot of my door.

ssTX1nO.jpg

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Oh Jesus that is beautiful. Nice that the Xbox One cases actually have the logo on them rather than on the insert.

blacksark

Mine arrived yesterday, just wanted to say thanks to @shagg_187 for such a cool and awesome idea,he has done all this with any other purpose other than making people have and outstanding cover, you're a great guy!

Mine arrived this morning, thanks a ton shagg. They look awesome.

Have you thought of making a small business out of this? Charge more, of course, enough to cover all the material costs and give yourself a tidy profit, but there sure seems like there's some demand for high quality alternate covers like this.

O.N.U.S.

Neo Member
I do mine at Kinko's(or whatever they're called now). I'll have to do that myself for this, these covers look great.

What exactly do you select when you print? I've never printed anything like this at kinkos.

Just want to make sure I have the best cover possible.

Tekniqs

What exactly do you select when you print? I've never printed anything like this at kinkos.

Just want to make sure I have the best cover possible.

came back to ask this. Kinkos is now fedex kinkos? I think I'll go to my local staples tho and get it printed.

Do I just tell them print it as is with 300ppi?

came back to ask this. Kinkos is now fedex kinkos? I think I'll go to my local staples tho and get it printed.

Do I just tell them print it as is with 300ppi?

Yeah, printing it at 300 should be great. Use 80lb cover/card stock. Trial and error until you're satisfied. The covers have no bleed so make sure they know so they can cut it accordingly and not shrink it.

More FAQ:

- How do I add the PS/Xbox logo on the covers?
-- Download the PDF files linked here: http://garymotherpuckingoak.deviantart.com/art/MGSV-PHANTOM-PAIN-Shinkawa-Cover-Fan-Made-546249708 , open in Photoshop and unhide the logo layers.

- What paper should I use?
-- 80lb cover/card stock is the preferred paper here. Make sure you have laser printer as inkjet may not print it that well.

- Is there any room for the bleeds in the PDF cover?
-- No. You will have to make sure you have room for bleeds, and cut accordingly. If needed, you can create bleeds as per your printing company preference/requirement.

- Are you going to be printing more covers for PS4?
-- I am not sure. I still have an abundance of covers for PS3, 360/PC and XB1 lying around. Honestly, I didn't make any money off this (Total paid for shipping: $1,500 CAD. Total paid for printing: $500 CAD. Total spend on packaging: $150 CAD. Total payment received: $1,700 CAD. Total profit/loss: -$450 CAD) so I am not sure if I will take more hits. I still have some more PS4 covers lying around (around 80), but there are still a lot of folks who haven't received their shipment yet, so until I'm certain everyone's order is fulfilled and not in a limbo, I won't release those covers yet.

- What's your current stock count?
-- PS4: 80; PS3: 470; XB1: 430; PC/X360: 460.

- Have you shipped my order yet?
-- All orders are shipped. There are some folks who still haven't received it. I hope you all receive it soon!! There are folks who's order was the first to be shipped but they haven't received it, and I'm sorry for that! I hope that package finds a way! :)

- When should I start panicking about my orders?
-- Please give it another week or two if your package doesn't arrive. I hope Canada Post get their shit together and start driving faster. Please PM me if you don't get your package by 4th of September and I'll accommodate accordingly.

- How do I repay you?
-- Add me on PSN and save my FOB base from being invaded by enemies and combatants! PSN ID: shagg_187

------------------------------

Seriously. Thank you all for being part of something fun and exciting. I'll try to respond to all PMs and emails! Thank you all, and keep on sneaking! <3

KOMANI

KOMANI
More FAQ:

- How do I add the PS/Xbox logo on the covers?
-- Download the PDF files linked here: http://garymotherpuckingoak.deviantart.com/art/MGSV-PHANTOM-PAIN-Shinkawa-Cover-Fan-Made-546249708 , open in Photoshop and unhide the logo layers.

- What paper should I use?
-- 80lb cover/card stock is the preferred paper here. Make sure you have laser printer as inkjet may not print it that well.

- Is there any room for the bleeds in the PDF cover?
-- No. You will have to make sure you have room for bleeds, and cut accordingly. If needed, you can create bleeds as per your printing company preference/requirement.

- Are you going to be printing more covers for PS4?
-- I am not sure. I still have an abundance of covers for PS3, 360/PC and XB1 lying around. Honestly, I didn't make any money off this (Total paid for shipping: $1,500 CAD. Total paid for printing: $500 CAD. Total spend on packaging: $150 CAD. Total payment received: $1,700 CAD. Total profit/loss: -$450 CAD) so I am not sure if I will take more hits. I still have some more PS4 covers lying around (around 80), but there are still a lot of folks who haven't received their shipment yet, so until I'm certain everyone's order is fulfilled and not in a limbo, I won't release those covers yet.

- What's your current stock count?
-- PS4: 80; PS3: 470; XB1: 430; PC/X360: 460.

- Have you shipped my order yet?
-- All orders are shipped. There are some folks who still haven't received it. I hope you all receive it soon!! There are folks who's order was the first to be shipped but they haven't received it, and I'm sorry for that! I hope that package finds a way! :)

-- Please give it another week or two if your package doesn't arrive. I hope Canada Post get their shit together and start driving faster. Please PM me if you don't get your package by 4th of September and I'll accommodate accordingly.

- How do I repay you?
-- Add me on PSN and save my FOB base from being invaded by enemies and combatants! PSN ID: shagg_187

Seriously. Thank you all for being part of something fun and exciting. I'll try to respond to all PMs and emails! Thank you all, and keep on sneaking! <3
You are awesome, you have an awesome avatar, but why not include the full Shinkawa illustration? Not a critique, I'm just curious.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
More FAQ:

I'M PANICKING. Kidding, thank you, Shagg. I haven't bothered you with a PM about my shipping because I know how long international shipping can be and I seriously don't want to add yet another letter to reply into your already long list.

You are awesome, you have an awesome avatar, but why not include the full Shinkawa illustration? Not a critique, I'm just curious.

Full illustration on my avatar, or the cover? :p

(I didn't design the cover btw. I believe the idea for the cover was that it needs to compliment the reverse cover for Ground Zeroes).

I'M PANICKING. Kidding, thank you, Shagg. I haven't bothered you with a PM about my shipping because I know how long international shipping can be and I seriously don't want to add yet another letter to reply into your already long list.

Haha! Your order has indeed shipped. I can't wait for you to recieve it!! :D

Kindekuma

Banned
Yeah, I don't even know where Kindekuma got the HQ design from. I've only seen it present in the steelbook editions.

Hell I don't even remember where I found such a high quality version of it. I did a lot of reverse image searches and whatnot.

The reason I chose the placement is that I wanted to, like what shagg said, to compliment the GZ cover. I've played with many different variations of the placement of the artwork but what I liked the most was represented on the final product.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Full illustration on my avatar, or the cover? :p

(I didn't design the cover btw. I believe the idea for the cover was that it needs to compliment the reverse cover for Ground Zeroes).

Haha! Your order has indeed shipped. I can't wait for you to recieve it!! :D

On the cover? Lack of HQ image I belive.

Hell I don't even remember where I found such a high quality version of it. I did a lot of reverse image searches and whatnot.

The reason I chose the placement is that I wanted to, like what shagg said, to compliment the GZ cover. I've played with many different variations of the placement of the artwork but what I liked the most was represented on the final product.
thanks guys. Well, you did a lot of good/ hard work. Thank you.

Top Bottom