• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's not necessary exactly. It's story can be summed in one paragraph and is mainly there to bridge fans from Peace Walker to Phantom Pain. Going in with no knowledge of the story, it really won't make a difference whether you start with Ground Zeroes or The Phantom Pain. It'll be incomprehensible either way. :)

That's what's so funny. People talk about having to play the prior games and all that, yet none of my friends know what the F is going on with the story anyways.

When you are talking about the support chopper shooting her - this would limit your possible rank to an A though.

Not quite:
call for some ammo, it's up to you where you want it dropped...

You can also develop non-lethal support strikes later on and replay.

Alienous

Not quite:
call for some ammo, it's up to you where you want it dropped...

You can also develop non-lethal support strikes later on and replay.

sGx39yA.gif

Genius.

Are there a good amount of music cassette tapes besides the few we've seen? I want to jam to some 80s tunes while cruising Mother Base.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
That's what's so funny. People talk about having to play the prior games and all that, yet none of my friends know what the F is going on with the story anyways.

Really, the only reason I tell people to play/watch MGS3, PW, and GZ's stories (or the damn tapes) prior to this game is just for the characters, especially Big Boss of course given his character arc in all of these games.

IF we run into a situation where the game unlocks in certain regions before NA, Is there any reason to not VPN it? Has Steam ever banned people for VPNing?

IF we run into a situation where the game unlocks in certain regions before NA, Is there any reason to not VPN it? Has Steam ever banned people for VPNing?
I think they turn a blind eye for activating early from a VPN. Buying anything over VPN will get your account locked/banned though

czarship

I know the official word from Konami states that the Steam version will unlock (for download and play) at 12AM EST 9/1. However, my Steam store page for the game still states that it will unlock in "1 day, 3 hours", which would be 12PM EST 9/1, 12 hours later than the time quoted from the publisher.

I hope this is just a case of Valve not updating the store page.

pringles

Tried to catch up on the story through the MGS wiki and youtube. God damn is it convuluted. Every character has like 5 different aliases and are double or triple agents. I don't really have any idea if Big Boss is supposed to be a hero, anti-hero or villain either. Ocelot is a villain, and isn't he working with Big Boss in The Phantom Pain?

Oh well. Ground Zeroes was at least awesome in terms of gameplay and presentation. I hope The Phantom Pain doesn't completely derail in terms of story like MGS2 did (which is what caused me to abandon the MGS series up until now).

Plasma

Banned
Anyone else having trouble picking up the
"I Know This Much Is True"
cassette tape? It's located in
Africa inside a building where the mines are
but when I go up to it I don't get the B button prompt to pick it up. I can trigger it though by holding B anyway and the radio turns off and falls over just like when you pick up any other cassette but it doesn't show up in my music list.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Tried to catch up on the story through the MGS wiki and youtube. God damn is it convuluted. Every character has like 5 different aliases and are double or triple agents. I don't really have any idea if Big Boss is supposed to be a hero, anti-hero or villain either. Ocelot is a villain, and isn't he working with Big Boss in The Phantom Pain?

It's all 3, as in he starts out as a "hero" in MGS3, but gradually turns into a villian which should be what MGSV explains.

Ok, I have a question about something that happens between main op
and main op
. I won't post here because I think it's a pretty big spoiler, but can someone please PM me? I need help. :/

Future

Do I need to play GZ before MGS5? I've never played a MGS, and I'm still going back and forth whether I want to play MGS5, but it seems necessary to play GZ first. I wish I would have grabbed it when it was free on PS+. I'm not sure whether I want to throw $20 down if it's not necessary. Maybe it will let me know if I will enjoy MGS5 without spending $60 right off the bat.

Playing ground zeroes makes you feel like you also needed to play peace walker. :p The main thing good about ground zeroes is that it's essentially a demo, so it gets your feet wet in controls and shit. Story wise almost nothing happens.... It's literally one level with some character intros and an ending that can be summed up in a sentence

Carbonox

By the way I wanted to say how fucking awesome the soundtrack is in this game. I'm assuming the Music Tape 1 section is all original shit made for the game (exception being the Valkyrie tune)? So many amazing songs I've come across. Don't care for the licensed stuff much.

Tcab96

So damn close. So damn close. So damn close.

With each hour my hype rises. I have the countdown on my ps4 counting on my television.

SRG01

So any word if TPP on PC will support the Dualshock 4? GZ was a no go, and I have Windows 10 (which has issues with DS4Windows :( )

ekim

Anyone know where the soldier is I need to
capture at the mountain relay base?
mission 6
If you were to slow, they probably already have him dispatched to the main base. Look out for a jeep with some guards around it kicking a person on a ground at the relay base (end of it following the path to the main base) - if you missed him, you will find him in the same position at the main base

Regarding the totally-not-a-spoiler-because-it-was-in-Peace-Walker-as-a-normal-develop-able-item
Stealth Camo
:

They really neutered it -- at least the first version of it (and there only seem to be two versions of it this time.

Basically, it's an item with limited uses now. The first version gives you three uses, and it lasts maybe 10-15 seconds. That's it.

texni

Neo Member
So any word if TPP on PC will support the Dualshock 4? GZ was a no go, and I have Windows 10 (which has issues with DS4Windows :( )

issues were resolved with the last release of ds4windows for me ( it use the killing explorer.exe method)

I'm not sure we know anything about the PC version outside of dev tweets/comments and speculation based on GZ, I just hope Kb+m controls are better.

Tcab96

Regarding the totally-not-a-spoiler-because-it-was-in-Peace-Walker-as-a-normal-develop-able-item
Stealth Camo
:

They really neutered it -- at least the first version of it (and there only seem to be two versions of it this time.

Basically, it's an item with limited uses now. The first version gives you three uses, and it lasts maybe 10-15 seconds. That's it.

I feel that could still be super useful when you have to get across a wide open area. Any idea on the second version?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Stealth Camo
:

No :(

TheRed

I was just playing Ground Zeros with DS4... never have had any problems with DS4Windows, I'm still on Windows 8.1 though.

Quidam

Absolutely loved mission 6, the
Honey Bee mission where you have to infiltrate the fort. Even the relay station by the big bridge leading up to the fort was great fun. I really want to replay that mission and take out the driver of the car at the relay station with my sniper so they can't take the prisoner over to the fort. It probably has little impact on the end game of that mission but still improves replayability

As a separate question regarding DD,
how many missions do you have to complete, and revisit Mother Base after, for him to be grown up?

Alright I tried to put together a video showing box fast-travel but THEY WON'T LET ME POST THE GODDAMN THING

Instead, here's an incomplete list of locations I've found in Afghanistan:

Smasei Fort (right in the middle of it)

Wakh Sind Barracks

Yakho Oboo Supply Outpost

Sakhra Ee Village

hasty potato screen:

image.jpg1_zpsxqnhr5nf.jpg

Carbonox

Absolutely loved mission 6, the
Honey Bee mission where you have to infiltrate the fort. Even the relay station by the big bridge leading up to the fort was great fun. I really want to replay that mission and take out the driver of the car at the relay station with my sniper so they can't take the prisoner over to the fort. It probably has little impact on the end game of that mission but still improves replayability

Mission 6 is incredible. Multi-layered and quite challenging. My favourite S rank so far but I'm only up to mission 8.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that some Side-Ops can be replayed? Like I've got one now that has a tick next to it but I'm able to play it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom