• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT| The Man Who Sold The World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smo21

I'm only on mission 20 but I've had issue with the set piece type sections. It seems they counter some of the open design of the game at times.

On the rescue Hal mission I one time set off c4 in the base an the metal gear came running all the way into the base from like 200 meters away. So I thought once i get close to the entrance Ill set off some c4 but i could never get it to go more than 70 meters away after i got out side of the base.

Mission 16 with the skulls they just decide to pop out once you get to close, even if you're not seen.

I've also had issues with tanks just firing in my direction after i hit them with c4. They clearly haven't seen me yet why do they know where I am?

Over all I'm still enjoying the game some 50 hours in.

Mupod

Two questions about the security team:

1. Some of my developed gear says it's usable by them. Do I need to equip it somehow? I don't see any options to but this game's UI is pretty useless so as far as I know it could require me to put in the damn Konami Code at the staff management screen.

2. I guess a semi-spoiler if you don't have the security team yet:
Do more of those offline 'invasions' ever happen? Is there any point to the security team outside of research requirements, if I don't plan to ever go online? All the online has done for me so far is kill my loadtimes and I'm not interested in base invasions.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm starting to feel like this game is way too long for what it is. They should've just made way more side ops missions than there are now, since most of the mains feel like side ops anyway...40 hours in and I'm realizing I'm less than halfway there and I wish some of this stuff was optional for a post game thing.

Is there any reason to fulton weapons if I am not going to do FOBs?
You can sell them for profit from the resources menu. Also after I started getting at least one of each type they appeared around my mother base making it look cooler. AT least I believe that was tried tied to fultoning them and not just progress related. I have a stockpile of them now to sell if needed anyways, plus my OCD has been making me completely clear out most bases/outposts.

Salsa

I'm starting to feel like this game is way too long for what it is. They should've just made way more side ops missions than main ones, since most of the mains feel like side ops anyway...40 hours in and I'm realizing I'm less than halfway there and I wish some of this stuff was optional for a post game thing.

im 40 hours in still on chapter 1 and im thinking i'll feel like this too once its over

Sell them.

I might be wrong, but fultoning them costs more them selling them ? So I might just ignore them from now on.

I'm starting to feel like this game is way too long for what it is. They should've just made way more side ops missions than there are now, since most of the mains feel like side ops anyway...40 hours in and I'm realizing I'm less than halfway there and I wish some of this stuff was optional for a post game thing.

Well, it's basically Peace Walker on steroids, everyone should knew what was coming to them ;)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Questions for those who have done missions 45 and up and gotten the true ending.

So I read that I need to have the butterfly emblem so Quiet doesn't leave but I also read that for mission 45 to trigger I need to have her at max bond and not have the butterfly equipped, does this mean that the only way to get the true ending is to have Quite leave?

I hate all of these hoops that they're making me jump through to get the final ending.

Ruff

Questions for those who have done missions 45 and up and gotten the true ending.

So I read that I need to have the butterfly emblem so Quiet doesn't leave but I also read that for mission 45 to trigger I need to have her at max bond and not have the butterfly equipped, does this mean that the only way to get the true ending is to have Quite leave?

I hate all of these hoops that they're making me jump through to get the final ending.

I got the ending you're talking about before I got the quiet exit mission so no

Mission 14 was confusing as hell for me.
A lot of misdirection from the dialogue and DD scouted the position of the viscount but he was underground until I extracted someone else first.

Weird.

Vire

Starting to feel like there should have been at least one more major environment. I'm on mission 24 and I'm pretty tired of both Africa and Afghanistan now. I feel like I've seen every area already.

shiba5

Can anyone tell me how long buddies stay in the sick bay? I didn't know Quiet would stay still and get shot at so she got pulled from the field and I haven't had access to her for awhile now.

Squishy3

Starting to feel like there should have been at least one more major environment. I'm on mission 24 and I'm pretty tired of both Africa and Afghanistan now. I feel like I've seen every area already.
There was an environment cut,they talk about it in the behind the scenes video that comes with the CE and every PC copy. (free download on Steam if you bought the game)

Don't know what it is, don't want to, since I haven't beat the game yet and I'm sure that video has spoilers in it. Just seen people talk about it in here.

bananas

Banned
Well the PC version won't run, so I'm downloading the Xbox One version. So yeah...

Anyone know of a solution to Nvidia display driver not responding. I have a GTX 670, 8GB RAM, i5 3570k andI have a 2560x1080 monitor, but tried setting it to regular 1080p and it still kept crashing

Verendus

Banned
Padding games with filler is the new thing these days. Plus, Ubisoft has done this with many of their other games so it should come as no surprise they did it with MGS.

KHlover

Banned
I might be wrong, but fultoning them costs more them selling them ? So I might just ignore them from now on.

You are.

Costs 5k to Fulton the mortars and MG and you can sell mortars for 9k and MG for 12k iirc. Don't have the best Fulton yet, so no idea what FLAKs sell for.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Didn't get to the FOB part yet..guess I'm never going to be playing this game online again. In any case, there's more than enough SP content so I can handle missing out on this multiplayer bullshit
The moment you start a FOB, you get 45 extra slots, so it certainly incentivizes you to do it. I guess they don't want you to get the advantages without dealing with the disadvantages.

I can't imagine what someone with multiple FOBs is doing... you would need so much money to defend all the platforms, and I assume each FOB doubles your chances of invasion? Unless ANY invasion puts you in a lock out.

Revven

This game's checkpointing can me so fucked sometimes.

Death is very punishing in this game, yeah. Perfect stealth for nearly 15-20 minutes, one guy spots you, whole base is alerted (or a crowd of guards near that guy who spotted you rushes over), you try to find somewhere to hide but can't and die. You think the checkpoint would be after the 15-20 minutes but nope it's at the beginning of the goddamn mission. This is especially annoying during side-ops where there's no checkpointing beyond when you enter the side-op area.

Though, there is a way to force the game to checkpoint when it normally wouldn't -- if you have combat deployments and they finish sometimes the game saves/checkpoints and where you are in the world will be saved (plus other mission info) acting as a pseudo-checkpoint. I've only been able to do this for one or two story missions though due to the fact that combat deployments have such variance in the time they take.

Actually, I'm not sure if it's when you deploy them it saves or when they finish the mission... either way I know I used combat deployment to force a checkpoint during a story mission as I was in a super tight spot.

At the same time, it also makes the game challenging and can force you to play the infiltration differently than when you died. A lot of AAA games are way too forgiving with their checkpoints so it's a nice change of pace... even if it can be ridiculously frustrating for some story missions as they clearly should checkpoint after an objective has been met yet the game doesn't so you can be sent back to the beginning of a story mission even after completing the first objective. :/

My final thoughts. Posted them previously in the wrong thread...

So I beat the game the other night and think I've had some time to process my thoughts on it and let everything sink in.
My final playtime for completing 50% and getting the 'true' ending was 60hrs.

Pros:

- The story for the most part was actually pretty decent and far from the worst in the series. Some genuinely moving moments and disturbing themes explored relatively well. Cut scenes are well directed.

- Visuals and audio were both fantastic. The soundtrack, while not to the standard of 1-4, felt very well composed and fitting. The 60fps open world gameplay was a thing of beauty. Voice acting was mostly very strong and I even managed to enjoy Kiefer's Big Boss.

- The prologue was straight up amazing.

- A couple of decent boss fights.

- Gameplay. Stealth or action. Fantastic. Nearly faultless and when it clicks after a few hours and you begin to master all the functions it feels incredible, even if you're simply doing a standard side op.

- Side Ops. They are actually really fun thanks to the finely tuned gameplay systems. And there are 157 of them!

- The game is long, and for the most part, highly addictive!

- The open world is fun to explore and gives you plenty of different options to tackle your objectives.

- The buddy system is great. I found something to love about each of my sidekicks. All are well balanced and upgradable.

- The fulton system and Mother base management actually becomes very addictive and feels almost like a separate game unto itself.

- Guns and enemy hit reaction are great!

Cons:

- The intro and outdo credits for every mission were pretentious, at times spoilery and felt highly unnecessary.

- Not enough memorable boss battles compared to previous entries.

- More variety in locations would have been nice.

- Reliance on cassettes, over explaining things during cutscenes felt lazy at times.

- Some of the later missions felt a little unfair, you could get one shot killed far too easily.

- Having to replay around 10 previous missions again during act 2 on Extreme difficulty mode was straight up filler bullshit.

- Massive plot point setup with an epic cutscene and then never resolved.

- The ending while clever felt a little bit forced and unnecessary. It was a cool idea but didn't quite resonate with me personally.

So overall I'd say the game is far from my favourite Metal Gear, but as a game in it's own right it's very rewarding, deep and highly recommended to fans of stealth and action games alike. It can feel overwhelming to begin with but after a few play sessions it all clicks and becomes like second nature. Probably my favourite game this year after Bloodborne.

brinstar

I was goofing off in the ACC earlier which led to me finding what I think is an easter egg that then led to me piecing together what I think the Big Twist of this game is going to be.

Just finished Mission
31 and now I have a million questions, but instead I have the option to do 3 different missions that have absolutely nothing to do with the plot :(

Gvitor

So much this. I'm on mission 21 and I feel like 75% of the game was filler so far. I'm giving it a pass because the gameplay is good, but even gameplay have been dragging lately. There are some missions with objectives far, far away from LZs and 4 or 5 outposts/villages in the way. And the distance between them is ridiculous. Doesn't help a bit if you choose Quiet or DD as buddies, since you'll have to change them to better move around.

I'm already dreading the requirements for the true ending, since I'm not bothering with side-ops at all aside from the old members who are now wandering around. (and I'm only doing those due to
____Paz's____
sidequest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom