• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV Alternate E3 Gameplay Demo

Vire

He gets a pass because we have experience with what he has shown of previous games before release. Specifically MGS2/3/4.
I'd agree with you if any of those previous games were open world, but this is Kojima and co's first attempt at it. I think it's unreasonable to expect the same amount of diversity as something as linear as the past MGS games. Creating open worlds is incredibly expensive, so I understand concessions have to be made... But yeah - as mentioned before, pretty bored of this area.

Kojima's done it again.
6ZoYe.jpg

Pappasman

Can't watch right now. Is it a more stealth based playthrough?

I kinda dislike how all their demos end with the player getting caught and having to make a crazy action packed escape. I want some good stealth.

foxtrot3d

Banned

I kinda dislike how all their demos end with the player getting caught and having to make a crazy action packed escape. I want some good stealth.

It's an every style playthrough. It plays the same mission again and again each time differently. And, it's glorious.

It's the E3 mission played 4 different ways:

1. With Quiet as the buddy.
2. All out heavy assault.
3. Sniper/bionic arm stuff.
4. Sort of sneaky with the box.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It's the E3 mission played 4 different ways:

1. With Quiet as the buddy.
2. All out heavy assault.
3. Sniper/bionic arm stuff.
4. Sort of sneaky with the box.

I'd describe them as follows:

1. Mix playthrough: Silent entry, loud exit.
2. Assault playthrough: All out guns blazing.
3. Stealth playthrough: Sneaky, sneaky the whole way.
4. Silly Stealth playthrough: Sneaky but using the more wacky tools of the game and exploiting knowledge of the game system.

TheBoss1

Yeah I get what you're saying but they are doing it that way to show off the game's diversity. You can see in each of their demos that they blatantly get caught just to trigger an alarm to make it more exciting.

I'm a little confused why the game throws all these gadgets and partners and you collect solders to put in your R&D to make more weapons to do sweet stuff...but the game punishes you for any alerts and kills or general fucking around with the whole S-rank thing.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Kojima is a madman.

So many options, lol.

I'm a little confused why the game throws all these gadgets and partners and you collect solders to put in your R&D to make more weapons to do sweet stuff...but the game punishes you for any alerts and kills or general fucking around with the whole S-rank thing.

I imagine at least a fair amount of the new weapons will be sneaking-oriented, or at least usable, but I get you, that was one of my gripes with MGS4.

Always good for some replayability after the first time through, I suppose.

ezekial45

Banned

Yeah, I totally see where you're coming from. This has been a problem since MGS3. The game still judges you based on Stealth and non-kills, which the increased arsenal actively motivates you to do otherwise. This was a big problem I had with PW (which I still loved). I hoped the game would be a lot more loose, which it still is compared to previous games, but unfortunately it's still stealth focused mission judging.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. stopped watching halfway through will wait for tomorrow.

8lLYpfo.gif

I mean I didn't understand any Japanese, but Akio's commentary entonation is just amazing.

This is going to be one of the best games of the year.

Hypron

I think that's fair enough. S-ranks are awarded for playing well. Simply fucking around will not be considered "playing well". However, if the Ground Zeroes ranking system is anything to go by, you have more leeway than in any other game in the series to get good ranks. You can kill a few people or get a few alerts, granted you do something else a bit better (you could finish the mission very quickly or you could rescue prisoners to make up for the lost points) so you can still use all the funny lethal weapons when going for good ranks.

Furthermore, the missions are replayable and should be fairly short so nothing's preventing you from playing through them several times to test out different approaches. You can just fuck around during one playthrough and then play the mission seriously while avoiding killing anyone. I'm glad the game offers these different approaches.

BRUH. ROCKETTO PAUNCHU~ OMFGGGGGGGGGG tbh they may as well just cancel anything else coming in 2015 tbf *100 emoji* omfg yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What's awesome it's that these are the options available with clearly advanced gear in an early mission. I wonder what other things they're not showing and what routes and strategies will there be in other, later missions.

Currently playing Arkham Knight and Witcher 3. Both phenomenal games, but this video highlights why I'm still so excited for MGS5: this is an open world "sandbox" full of toys. Sure, I have a massive map in Witcher 3, but NPC interaction is fairly minimal outside of quests and battles. AA is better in this regard: you have a lot more tools to use and can have a lot of fun clearing out non-quest, non-event enemies on the streets.

But the amount of stuff you can do in MGS5 is absurd. I'm going to have a lot of fun just goofing off. For instance,
Tacking some C4 to an enemy and blowing it up from a distance is hilarious.
I've done that in every MGS game where it was possible, and it never gets old.

Top Bottom