• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Flynn seems to have violated Logan Act (Trump National Security Advisor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

Reuters -

Michael Flynn, President-elect Donald Trump's choice for national security adviser, held multiple phone conversations with Russia's ambassador to Washington on the day the United States announced retaliation for Moscow's interference in the U.S. presidential election, two people familiar with the issue said.

The conversations appear to raise further questions about contacts between Trump's advisers and Russian officials at a time when U.S. intelligence agencies contend that Moscow waged a multifaceted campaign of hacking and other actions to boost Trump's election chances over Democrat Hillary Clinton.

On Dec. 29, U.S. President Barack Obama ordered the expulsion of 35 Russian suspected spies and imposed sanctions on two Russian intelligence agencies over their involvement in hacking U.S. political groups in the 2016 election.

Whether Flynn and Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak discussed those sanctions is unclear.

An 18th-century U.S. law, the Logan Act, bars unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments that are in disputes with the United States.

The phone calls were first reported by Washington Post columnist David Ignatius.

A Trump spokesman said on Friday that Flynn took a call from the Russian ambassador last month, and discussed setting up a call between the president-elect and Russian President Vladimir Putin after Trump's inauguration on Jan. 20.

More at the link: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN14X1YX

After further development this was apparently a call to establish the US having a seat at Syria, Russia, Turkey peace talks that the US was not invited to previously (obviously as we were investigating Russian interference in our elections and just imposed sanctions on Russia).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a-455pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.14852a60ce62

Also: White House has confirmed this was not authorized.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...rdinate-flynn-call-russian-ambassador-n706806

If old lock him up.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's sketchy as fuck but I doubt any action is taken against Flynn directly. Only one person has been indicted under the Logan Act in history and they weren't even prosecuted.

If anything this sounds like more evidence for the Senate Intelligence Committee to review.

McLovin

Yeah they need to look into everyone Trump brought in, especially Pence. This is Turning into a disaster for the GOP lol

This is the guy that spreads conspiracy theories, had a private internet connection in his office and leaked classified info that got soldiers killed right?

This guy.

flynn.jpg

This fucking guy. Not very smooth. What an idiot. Durrrrr I'm guna call these guys right when tensions are super high and everyone is watching us because durrr.

MIMIC

Banned
After further development this was apparently a call to establish the US having a seat at Syria, Russia, Turkey peace talks that the US was not invited to previously (obviously as we were investigating Russian interference in our elections and just imposed sanctions on Russia).

This new-incoming administration has been so damn skeevy. There is one President/administration at a time. They can't wait 7 more days?

Monocle

Not as bad as emailgate tho amirite. It's totally cool that the incoming administration is transparently in bed with Russia.

Never would of thought that a Republican campaign would have so many ties to Russia. But then again I never expected Trump to happen either.

Unless they have evidence it's going to go nowhere
Because the official trump line is he was setting up a future meeting with the ambassador. And that doesn't qualify as illegal.

So they need the content of the conversations to take this anywhere.

Because the official trump line is he was setting up a future meeting with the ambassador. And that doesn't qualify as illegal.

State dept already confirmed they did not give authorization for his contact.

faisal233

GCHQ has those.

ZOONAMI

It's sketchy as fuck but I doubt any action is taken against Flynn directly. Only one person has been indicted under the Logan Act in history and they weren't even prosecuted.

If anything this sounds like more evidence for the Senate Intelligence Committee to review.

Yeah, I feel like Flynn potentially gives them grounds for warrants to scope the fuck out of all of his conversations and maybe that can find something else that leads to concrete evidence of events in the dossier.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lol just went to the source of the #NeverTrump hashtag website, RedState, some conservative shithole I knew would fall in line. And their main headline is how the corrupt Intelligence services have declared war on Trump and his administration and how Flynn didn't do anything wrong.

And fall in line they fucking did. The goddamn lemmings. GOP patsies are spineless.

gaugebozo

I know a lot's going on in the #Goldenshowers thread, but I'm amazed this thread doesn't have more posts. This is some straight up Nixon shit.

ZOONAMI

I know a lot's going on in the #Goldenshowers thread, but I'm amazed this thread doesn't have more posts. This is some straight up Nixon shit.

Yeah it's pretty well covered in that thread as well but suggestions in that thread were to make a new thread so I thought why not. Seems deserving of its own thread.

jfkgoblue

Flynn doesn't need a senate confirmation so they can't do shit about it, but I wonder if the optics of this are bad enough for Trump to pull him? He has done it in the past with Lewandowski and Manafort.

Flynn doesn't need a senate confirmation so they can't do shit about it, but I wonder if the optics of this are bad enough for Trump to pull him? He has done it in the past with Lewandowski and Manafort.

The pulling was more for show. Manafort lives in Trump tower, as if he didn't talk to Trump lol

I think Lewandowski was still getting paid by Trump and CNN. In any case he was shilling for Trump on the air.

Chococat

Thought

With Trump being possibly compromised by the Russians, should it enforced he has to work out of the White House until there can be a complete security sweep of the entire tower for Russia taps and cameras?

jfkgoblue

The pulling was more for show. Manafort lives in Trump tower, as if he didn't talk to Trump lol

I think Lewandowski was still getting paid by Trump and CNN. In any case he was shilling for Trump on the air.
Well... that's quite depressing to read.

I really want to believe that Trump will be removed some way, but every time we get the "final nail in the coffin" he somehow breaks out.

ZOONAMI

Thought

With Trump being possibly compromised by the Russians, should it enforced he has to work out of the White House until there can be a complete security sweep of the entire tower for Russia taps and cameras?

I would imagine that's standard procedure for Secret Service.

Well... that's quite depressing to read.

I really want to believe that Trump will be removed some way, but every time we get the "final nail in the coffin" he somehow breaks out.

Don't forgot Carter Page. He was dropped from the campaign and was still travelling to Russia and telling investors there that sanctions will be lifted. He even told Russia that Tillerson was going to be SoS before it was public. Hilarious this shit doesn't get more media notice.

This is all(at the very least) a scheme for a circle of people to massively profit off lifting sanctions with Russia.

ZOONAMI

Don't forgot Carter Page. He was dropped from the campaign and was still travelling to Russia and telling investors there that sanctions will be lifted. He even told Russia that Tillerson was going to be SoS before it was public. Hilarious this shit doesn't get more media notice.

This is all(at the very least) a scheme for a circle of people to massively profit off lifting sanctions with Russia.

Follow the $

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom