• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

mclem

Playing the dev-team for fools on a rolling crunch is the only despicable thing thats occurred here, but thats not what this "release the game now"-movement is about. A better campaign would be "Give the devs a 1-month paid holiday you cruel taskmasters" but then thats not what most "outraged" people are after here is it.

It sounds like they did what's regarded as normal crunch; I've done that sort of schedule several times. At best I've managed to negotiate two or three days of paid leave out of it.

( I agree entirely that a multi-week break would be entirely fair after that sort of workload, but, well, this industry doesn't do fair.)

Tobor

Man, how hard is this "It's just business, they know better than you" stuff going to come back and bite people in the ass in other conversations?

I see a lot of this working out only if this is the last discussion you ever plan to take part in on GAF.

Speaking for myself, I've backed up why I think Ubisoft has made the correct decision. If that's somehow a problem in future discussions, I'd like to know how.

Neiteio

The devs wanting to see their game released now, while amusing, doesn't actually -change- anything. We've known from the day the delay was announced they weren't happy since they had crunched to finish the WiiU version in time.

It's not like Ubisoft hasn't thought about the numbers. They've deemed it more fruitful to do it all at once in the fall. Consolidating marketing costs, hitting investors with a combined million-units-sold figure rather than piecemealing smaller sales over a longer period of time, etc. Whatever the reason, it's a business move to them.

If people stamping their feet can move up the WiiU release, I'm cool with that. I won't expend the energy crying about it myself, though, lol.

for all the "i only bought a wiiU for nintendo games" posts since that thing launched, people sure are pissed rayman is getting delayed.
still, who knows if this move will bite the dev team in the ass in the future, i don't recall ubisoft being the most forgiving company.

BuzzJive

Surprise! This is what - the 5th iteration of having the same arguments between the Wii U crowd and the Ubisoft apologists. It's been beaten to death already. This thread should be about how a dev studio is making a bit of a ballsy move here to support their fans.

Nice job Ancel and Company.

Kyou

still havent canceled my preorder on the off chance that ubisoft still releases it this month.
Man, how hard is this "It's just business, they know better than you" stuff going to come back and bite people in the ass in other conversations?

I see a lot of this working out only if this is the last discussion you ever plan to take part in on GAF.
hahaha yes

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You've certainly taken this one to heart, ShockingAlberto. That "reasonable" moniker is slipping pretty far off the crown these days.

Cbajd5

Playing the dev-team for fools on a rolling crunch is the only despicable thing thats occurred here, but thats not what this "release the game now"-movement is about. A better campaign would be "Give the devs a 1-month paid holiday you cruel taskmasters" but then thats not what most "outraged" people are after here is it.

I think that's less realistic than them releasing the game today for all platforms.

Foffy

Banned
Great job, Ancel and company. Finally this puts to rest the "w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-what if the game wasn't finished guys?" argument. The claims about a crunch for a launch this month are now true, meaning Ubisoft is in fact sitting on the Wii U version until the fall.

I hope, if anything, the ports of the game tank astronomically.

God I hope I never work under some of you people. Insubordination?!?! I am infallible so it must be that they're all jackoffs and they need to be fired!! Can't be as a result of anything I've done and might need to change.

You'd make terrible bosses in every aspect.

It's pretty ridiculous he would come out only to fan the flames even higher. I'm sure Ancel can take his complaints directly to senior management in Ubisoft this is nothing but destructive.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Great job, Ancel and company. Finally this puts to rest the "w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-what if the game wasn't finished guys?" argument. The claims about a crunch for a launch this month are now true, meaning Ubisoft is in fact sitting on the Wii U version until the fall.

I hope, if anything, the ports of the game tank astronomically.

That's the best way to support a dev studio - hope their game fails.

Corto

What makes no sense? The damage insubordinate employees can cause in the workplace?

People keep saying insubordination but how is this insubordination? They worked their asses off, they delivered the game in time and organized an inoffensive and polite show of support to Rayman just trying to influence a management decision so that the game that it's completed can be released.

Release Rayman. Support Ubisoft Montpellier. Please.

Insubordination?!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think that's less realistic than them releasing the game today for all platforms.

I'd rather keep my dev team onside and happy than satisfy the very loud cries of quite a minority at the expense of future sales. The reason theyre pissed is there was no rush and it sounds like the Feb date was kinda unreasonable seeming from last year.

Lenardo

Banned
the problem with the recent data is

WHAT GOOD GAMES HAVE RELEASED SINCE the Console came out?

AC3- came out a week before the console-i got it then.
COD-blops 2- release
Batman- Release
nintendoland Release
MARIO- Release
Sonic Allstar racing- Release
etc.

we are going on the 3rd month with nothing NEW on the system that might drive sales- some.

Rayman imo would do fairly well -by itself- in feb. for just the WiiU.

plus it would get a boost for the Wiiu Version in Sept when the OTHER 2 versions come out. maintain the price thru the release of the other two versions then drop all 3 in price at the same time.

i've BOUGHT all the games -that are good- for the System...in November and early December.

most people- early adopters- are probably like me, Waiting for a Good high quality game to release for the system to buy. Rayman was the Next Game on the list that was supposed to come out.

will i buy Rayman when it comes out? Yes. i would have PREFERRED it to be in February as initially delayed to. now i will most likely have a choice as to where to put my budget to gaming wise.

The devs spoke out against it the day of the delay. These are just pictures, with Ancel throwing his hat in the ring.

i know that .
Still dev speaking , and this kind of picture showing up on the net is kinda different ... unchecked this might be an extreme case of thing getting out of hand.

Next move by ubisoft should be intresting .

"Let's send out Rayman Legends to die against the holiday blockbusters!"

Here's a novel idea: release it on Wii U now, and the others in September. It will only benefit sales.

Wii U currently has an install bass well below expectations. In September, maybe it won't.

Linkhero1

You've certainly taken this one to heart, ShockingAlberto. That "reasonable" moniker is slipping pretty far off the crown these days.

Could you point me to the direction where he has actually been unreasonable? If anything, he's at least been arguing his side with good points.

Maxrunner

"Let's send out Rayman Legends to die against the holiday blockbusters!"

Here's a novel idea: release it on Wii U now, and the others in September. It will only benefit sales.

MS being soooo worried about customers won't let them play if it's released first on another platform....

Neiteio

i know that .
Still dev speaking , and this kind of picture showing up on the net is kinda different ... unchecked this might be an extreme case of thing getting out of hand.

Next move by ubisoft should be intresting .
Yeah. It's just funny people act like this proves something, lol. We've known the devs were upset from the day of the delay. Not sure what it changes. Ubisoft has made their business decision.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
God I hope I never work under some of you people. Insubordination?!?! I am infallible so it must be that they're all jackoffs and they need to be fired!! Can't be as a result of anything I've done and might need to change.

You'd make terrible bosses in every aspect.

When you make a mistake, in a company setting, and your employees think you're doing the wrong thing, it's up to them to make it known and you, as a business leader, to allow a workplace environment where if you're within your bounds, can express yourself and how you feel to executive decisions. I'm not saying Ubisoft does or doesn't have that avenue, but to go publicly and say "I DISAGREE WITH WHAT MY EMPLOYER DOES" makes you a shitty employee and a problem, no matter how talented you are. Some companies can deal with that tradeoff, some don't want to.

Cmon now.

Could you point me to the direction where he has actually been unreasonable? If anything, he's at least been arguing his side with good points.

"I'm going to apply this rationale of thinking to everything in the future and hold it over your head" - I understand if he believes it here, but I wouldn't paint with so broad a brush for everything.

eShop is a very bad solution for a game that no-nothing parents and relatives need to be able to buy on the shelves for kids.
Those people won't be buying Legends until it's $20 anyway. So October 2013 probably.

According to John Harker, only 2% of Wii U sales are digital. Combine that with the low install base, and it isn't worth Ubi's time.

Now if this was the Vita, where 15-20% of sales are digital, that makes more sense.
It's more a relations move than a sales one. It negates the blowback the delay brought without any of the real risks going ahead with retail would bring.

Also, Vita sales aren't 15-20% digital across the board, that was for just Ubi's games and it's by revenue iirc. And given Ubi's actually done more business on Wii U than Vita this year (and possibly all totaled), I doubt any release would really "make more sense" there.

Foffy

Banned
That's the best way to support a dev studio - hope their game fails.

I said ports, not the original, lead version. It's going to happen, anyway; the ports are on the same platform and released in the same month as what will probably be the most anticipated and successful game of 2013.

seady

I hope all these shits are just some sort of marketing push to sell the game that is still actually planned to come out in late Feb. Ubisoft and Ancel are just playing with our minds.

Linkhero1

Wii U currently has an install bass well below expectations. In September, maybe it won't.

In September, Wii U will most likely have games. Then, Rayman will be up against other titles. Now, if marketed correctly, it would be up against nothing until Lego or whatever else is coming out.

"I'm going to apply this rationale of thinking to everything in the future and hold it over your head" - I understand if he believes it here, but I wouldn't paint with so broad a brush for everything.

What rationale of thinking is that exactly?

Edit: Actually, don't answer. I don't want to go offtopic.

Pie and Beans said:

If the sun looks dark, perhaps it is a good idea to check your own face for shades?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I said ports, not the original, lead version. It's going to happen, anyway; the ports are on the same platform and released in the same month as what will probably be the most anticipated and successful game of 2013.

Will Ubisoft know the difference when they look at the Rayman Legends numbers? Will they care?

Wouldn't the sequel to an excellent platforming game be a big deal?

I meant in terms of sales, not critical reception. It's not a big mover.

Krilekk

Banned
Pretty pathetic for a development team. If I was the CEO, I'd let them go after they were done.

Yeah, it's kinda dumb to bite the hand that feeds you. Should've criticised the decision internally instead of releasing a shitstorm. And the decision makes sense for them anyway. If they release now exclusively to 2 million Wii U owners the potential for bomba is huge. And if it bombs Ubisoft will let them go. So they should be grateful for the opportunity they have and expand content in the coming months.

Top Bottom