• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

Hunter S.

I feel for the developers, but looking at the sales of Rayman origins the game is not that huge. Biggest on playstation. The drama about this game seems big on the internet, but overall it is not a big deal to the vast majority of Ray man players.

Why do people think a larger userbase automatically equals larger sales?

Red Steel outsold Red Steel 2
Excitetruck outsold Excitebots
Twilight Princess Wii way outsold Twilight Princess Gamecube
Raving Rabbids Wii version crushed the 360 verison

And those are Wii launch window games. People like to buy games for their shiny new system especially when the pickings are slim.

SykoTech

Okay, so Ancel and the team aren't protesting themselves. Just showing up to let passion fans know they appreciate their dedication (like Gabe and the HL3 protestors).

Good. Nobody's job should be on the line over just a gesture. Makes the first few pages look pretty silly though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sucks for the developers, but that is the only concern in this case, in my opinion. For consumers having to wait some extra months for a game, in a world that is filled with tons of games, that is luckily just a luxury problem. It can be boring to wait for sure, but not it shouldnt be a problem in the big scope.

It was delayed as a business decision to sell at a better time for Sony/to a potentially larger install base? Sounds... pretty bang on to me!

The GTA timing is unfortunate really, but I can only assume July/August just wasnt feasible without an INSANE rolling crunch, and beyond September is the true dangerzone.

Every delay is to a potentially larger install base.

Rayman delay sucks, but if it was just being moved from busy wii u launch to feb people wouldn't care much, but when you take it out of a dead feb into a busy sept it becomes really stupid.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Twilight Princess Wii way outsold Twilight Princess Gamecube

When do you think Twilight Princess Gamecube was finished and they started work on Twilight Princess Wii, by the way?

When do you think Twilight Princess Gamecube was finished and they started work on Twilight Princess Wii, by the way?

Honestly stuff like this happens all the time, but the big difference here is we know it was done, and they delayed it 3 weeks before release.

Had all this happened 5 months ago it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Doesn't matter and has nothing to do with my point. Besides, at least Nintendo had the excuse of "improving" the game for the new system with motion controls.

The talk of GTA V cannibalising Rayman sales is true but not for the reasons most think.

Kids are far more interested in GTA V. Rayman Legends will be selling to adults.

fk4e9fac18.gif

the fuckin dumbest things you read on this forum, jesus fuck...

daakusedo

That's true more kids will play gta than rayman. I wonder if it's easier now that it has lost a lot on the controversial side, but even in the days of gta III, some whining and they got their game at home.

Hunter S.

The talk of GTA V cannibalising Rayman sales is true but not for the reasons most think.

Kids are far more interested in GTA V. Rayman Legends will be selling to adults.
Ray man Origins sold less than a million units of the game on all three platforms looked at seperately. By far the most on PS3 and about half a million on 360 and Wii. There are not a lot of people playing Rayman period.

Eusis

Okay, so Ancel and the team aren't protesting themselves. Just showing up to let passion fans know they appreciate their dedication (like Gabe and the HL3 protestors).

Good. Nobody's job should be on the line over just a gesture. Makes the first few pages look pretty silly though.
Would push Ubisoft right into irredeemable territory though if they actually did anything.

Isn't that the irony of it though? Going mutliplatforms was to help sales. But with GTAV, it'll hurt it even more. If it came out on the Wii U this month, it's not competing with anything.

If they wanted to put this on 360 in the first place, they should have just announced it. Instead of advertising such an early release for the Wii U, then doing what they did JUST so it could be on 360 too.

Hope they don't get fired either. Good for them for standing up for this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Doesn't matter and has nothing to do with my point. Besides, at least Nintendo had the excuse of "improving" the game for the new system with motion controls.

I don't know, delaying a Gamecube game to the release of your new console and then releasing it a couple weeks after that Wii version on purpose is quite an interesting parallel worth discussion. There was like a year delay on that title. Even more interesting is that because the Wii version is the Gamecube version flipped, the GC version would have to have been finished first and in advance. Nintendo runs a tight ship though, so I guess we'll never get specific timeframes.

The truth here is that this sort of thing happens all the time, but because we got a leak theres outrage (and mainly fuelled by early adopters facing an unpalateable drought). What happened to the devs was shady, and I'd like to see them rewarded somehow for the nightmare of rolling crunch, but the delay is the delay and for some pretty solid reasons. Just as Nintendo had their reasons for holding a Zelda game over until their new platform release: More exposure/a better chance at more sales on Wii hype.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
"delayed without a good reason" - no offense, but how are we still at this?

I'm not saying it was "consumer friendly" of a call, or even the right one for gamers, but if they release the game now on Wii U, there was no way it could be profitable. By delaying the title to September, it greatly expands the potential for profitability. How is that not a 'good reason'?

And isn't Montpillier working on the Xbox and PS3 versions?
It isn't like they'll have nothing to do

sd28821

I'm not saying it was "consumer friendly" of a call, or even the right one for gamers, but if they release the game now on Wii U, there was no way it could be profitable. By delaying the title to September, it greatly expands the potential for profitability. How is that not a 'good reason'?

we are past it but there is always someone who doesn't read like those claiming multi platform for the rage.

Subtle

fk4e9fac18.gif

the fuckin dumbest things you read on this forum, jesus fuck...

How so? More kids will be playing GTA V than Rayman: Legends. GTA V is mainstream, Legends is niche. I don't think it's too farfetched to say the ratio of adults playing GTA V will be lower than the ratio of adults playing Rayman: Legends.

Sakujou

Banned
My kids love the ray man demo......

Well, when i was around 10-11 i was far more interested in resident evil 2 than in mario and these kind of "baby" games.

Nowadays i dont matter about kids games or adult games. It just has to be a good game. (i played through Rayman Origins on Vita and i also bought the Limited Edition of it for 360)

And this problem is considered because of shelf space and ads.

GTA V will kick everything else in the latter period.

did i get teleported to 2001?

Not sure what you're talking about. Kids love games that are labeled "mature". The only reason my little nephew wanted a PS3 is so he could play GTA IV and COD MW. He doesn't even get what's fun about "platformers". Should've added that he goes online to play with his classmate friends online, who share the same obsession for "mature" games.

Rayman Legends will be very niche on the 360/PS3. Only animation/art enthusiasts, old-school platform fans, and core gamers will buy it. That's only like 5% of the market?

The Wii U exclusitivity makes perfect sense because Nintendo fans love these kinds of games. That's the market. Delaying it is neglecting those millions of fans...and the kids that their parents can buy for them.

Ubisoft claimed profitability back when Origins was debuting to 50k NPD. I think a U time exclusive Legends could've at least managed similar results thanks to it's wide open window and comparably captive audience.

Did ZombiU lose money?

Actually, I don't think it's been confirmed yet? It'd be hilarious if PS360 got Casablanca'd.

MormaPope

Banned

Stating the obvious will make you an enemy of the movement, be careful, I heard they'll send you spiteful emails.

How so? More kids will be playing GTA V than Rayman: Legends. GTA V is mainstream, Legends is niche. I don't think it's too farfetched to say the ratio of adults playing GTA V will be lower than the ratio of adults playing Rayman: Legends.

Such a nonsensical idea.

I don't know, delaying a Gamecube game to the release of your new console and then releasing it a couple weeks after that Wii version on purpose is quite an interesting parallel worth discussion. There was like a year delay on that title. Even more interesting is that because the Wii version is the Gamecube version flipped, the GC version would have to have been finished first and in advance. Nintendo runs a tight ship though, so I guess we'll never get specific timeframes.

The truth here is that this sort of thing happens all the time, but because we got a leak theres outrage (and mainly fuelled by early adopters facing an unpalateable drought). What happened to the devs was shady, and I'd like to see them rewarded somehow for the nightmare of rolling crunch, but the delay is the delay and for some pretty solid reasons. Just as Nintendo had their reasons for holding a Zelda game over until their new platform release: More exposure/a better chance at more sales on Wii hype.

But Ubi is delaying it for the opposite reason Nintendo did. They are foregoing the more exposure/Wii U hype, to hit the larger userbase at the same time. I'm not debating the ethics of the delay though (which is shitty for the team), but just the business decision aspect of it.

Pie and Beans

Rayman Legends will be very niche on the 360/PS3. Only animation/art enthusiasts, old-school platform fans, and core gamers will buy it. That's only like 5% of the market?

The Wii U exclusitivity makes perfect sense because Nintendo fans love these kinds of games. That's the market. Delaying it is neglecting those millions of fans...and the kids that their parents can buy for them.

51tcwkrmjeL.jpg

Ya know this happened right? All those Nintendo fans that really loved these games came together to support this title, didn't they?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
if they release the game now on Wii U, there was no way it could be profitable.
Debatable. The more good games Wii U has, the more people will get it. And Ubisoft has stakes in the console's success. Gamers buying a Wii U for Rayman may get Zombi U along with it.

Besides they would still sell the game in September, on all 3 consoles. What they would sell until then would be a nice headstart.

51tcwkrmjeL.jpg

Ya know this happened right? All those Nintendo fans that really loved these games came together to support this title, didn't they?

You make a point there, but I have a theory. That's because they'd rather get the HD version. I know I skipped the Wii one to get the HD version. And I'm pretty sure most Nintendo fans also have a 360/PS3. For a game like this with beautiful artwork, I don't think anyone in their right mind would prefer the low-res to the high-res version IF they had all systems.

The Wii U Legends won't have that issue. In many ways, the Wii U one will be the defininitive because of the gamepad.

entremet

He was referring to this post I made:

Assistant: "Sir there are protests, even Michael Ancel is supporting it, twitter is going crazy, they are starving for games!!"

Yves looks down at the protest with a grin on his face "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche,"

And it seems Baconsammy is MIA

What did Baconsammy say?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The Wii U user-base may be small today, but 100% of that base is "recently purchased" and looking for new content to buy. In other words, a lot more people have bought a Wii U in the last three months than are likely to buy a Wii over the July-September '13 time-frame.

Subtle

don't try to rationalize with these folks.

to them, all 17 million or so who bought GTA IV are fuckin zit-faced high-schoolers, no one over 18 bought the game because it becomes "uncool" after you become an adult.

Lol, I'm not trying to say that there isn't a hefty number of adults who play GTA. It's just that GTA 4 sold what, 20 million? Origins didn't even hit one million. The reason that GTA sells that much is because it has casual appeal. Kids are part of that audience. The majority of sales Rayman (Origins/Legends) gets are from enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are generally adults. Therefore I don't think I'm going on a limb saying that: ratio of adults playing Rayman > ratio of adults playing GTA. I'm open to hear what you think.

mclem

Assistant: "Sir there are protests, even Michael Ancel is supporting it, twitter is going crazy, they are starving for games!!"

Yves looks down at the protest with a grin on his face "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche,"

La brioche est un mensonge!

Top Bottom