• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

1-D_FTW

Seems like good PR. Get all the benefits of delaying it, but simmer some of the Nintendo fan rage by saying, "We're with you brother, please don't boycott our game."

Alcibiades

Wow if Ubi suddenly announces say an early March release date they will have benefitted quite a bit from all this hoopla.

MrKaepora

Respect for Michel Ancel and the members of the rayman dev team. They took a huge risk of losing their jobs doing this.

Corto

I was happy to know that this game was releasing on PS3. But the way Ubisoft is managing this announcement and the delay is just appalling. Ancel should get the hell out of there.

Interfectum

Is this all because of that Microsoft contract that says if it's not initially released on Xbox then they're not interested?

For the love of god, Nintendo. Poach this man.

tdRabCX.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well I hope everyone in that other thread claiming "the game isn't done, stop whining N-things" can see this now, the game is FINISHED. Even the fucking developers think it's ridiculous.

Bingo. Plus the Ubisoft shill spinning like mad.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pretty pathetic for a development team. If I was the CEO, I'd let them go after they were done.

Seriously? They want the game they poured hard work into to come out on time after crunching to finish it, the suits delay it for no reason, and you want to fire them?

Azure J

So where are the guys that were screaming how much of a conspiracy theory it was that Ubi were actually sitting on the finished game/the devs were upset at the delay? :p

Shameful Ubisoft, shameful.

vareon

A reminder to all people, this is not because Rayman went multiplatform, this is because the dev team worked under a crunch for months to finish the game only to be told it will be delayed just because.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Kotick's GAF account.

rofl

Vive Ancel!

However, just as we do, they have the right to voice their frustrations. And it's gratifying as consumers to see we aren't alone.

Ancel et les ptits gars de tout les studios d'Ubi, vous avez mon soutien :jap:

(Par contre, le fait que vous deviez en arriver là pour essayer de vous faire entendre plutôt que de pouvoir régler ça en interne est plutôt inquiétant :()

javac

The fuck are you talking about? Dev team pushed themselves to get this done for release and then eating shit is enough motivation to do something like this

Nah man, Rayman isn't worthy enough!

They don't get it

Empty

woah. hope this doesn't backfire on them but they're right and that poster is pretty charming and funny.

marry me plz michel <3

Nairume

Banned
A: Because the dev team had to go through 6 months of crunch time to get the game done on time, only for it to be delayed at the last moment.
B: Because Rayman is fucking awesome.

Also because

C: Instead of getting to do something new that they want to do (re: BGE2), the team is having to spend more crunch time with a game they are probably sick of by now to get it ready to ship for two other consoles in September.
D: They also have to take time away from crunch to make another WiiU demo, when the constant WiiU demos were what delayed them in the first place
E: They are probably also going to have to make a bunch of PS3/360 demos, too.

methodman

Banned
Ubi soft is fucking up bad. I was gonna cop this game this month, but now I won't in September. :/

And baconsammy insisted that it was *only* a single annonymous dev that was upset about the delay :p
Baconsammy hates on Nintendo any chance he gets.

zroid

Banned
Where exactly would he work? I'd imagine he doesn't want to up and leave for Japan or the US.

not that I encourage this idea particularly, but they wouldn't have to leave Europe. In fact, Nintendo is overdue for having a Europe-based studio. It's their only major operating territory where they don't (I think?).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
rofl

Ancel et les ptits gars de tout les studios d'Ubi, vous avez mon soutien :jap:

(Par contre, le fait que vous deviez en arriver là pour essayer de vous faire entendre plutôt que de pouvoir régler ça en interne est plutôt inquiétant :()
Rares sont les boîtes où les créas sont aussi décisionnaires. Il y en a quelques unes...

Seems like they are having a bit of fun and sending a message of support to fans who are upset. But they don't exactly look devastated there do they?

Meesh

Vive Ancel!
However, just as we do, they have the right to voice their frustrations. And it's gratifying as consumers to see we aren't alone.
Free Rayman and liberate Ancel and his development team...Nintendo, buy them out!!!
:)

Maxrunner

they are pissed about making the deadline and working super hard and now seeing the game delayed.

release it now on WiiU ubi, and with additional dlc on the PS360 later this year

But then the almighty MS will refuse a multi platform game after being released on another platform...

One day more!
One more day until petition,
We will nip it in the bud,
We'll be ready for these fanboys,
They will still find Rayman fun

Zy6x7KF.jpg

I apologize, I'm in a big Les Mis phase right now.

Tan

Wow. Would never have seen this coming.
Would be incredible if something actually came of this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh shit there goes the baconsammy theory that everyone at ubi is happy with the decision

It's much more useful to look at a goat eating grass for five hours than reading Baconsammy's posts.

evangd007

Pretty pathetic for a development team. If I was the CEO, I'd let them go after they were done.

A few things in the way of that:

1) French labor laws
2) The fact that Ubi Mont's team in its near entirety would be picked up by someone else like lightning.

Of course its true.
Ubi just won't spend the money on more than one marketing campaign (if it even gets one), and suddenly realised that a WiiU only release would be a certain financial loss.

No conspiracy here, just heartless money-men making the decisions. Nothing new.

The delay causes all of the marketing done thus far: the E3 stage demos, the in-store Wii U kiosk demos, the Wii U download store demo, go to absolute waste.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Seriously. They need to release this shit pronto.

Not only are Wii U owners starved for quality software but these guys busted their ass to finish the game on time. One of the worst decisions I've seen in a while.

Where exactly would he work? I'd imagine he doesn't want to up and leave for Japan or the US.

They are very happy at Montpellier, and it's a cool city to live.

Effect

Seriously. They need to release this shit pronto.

Not only are Wii U owners starved for quality software but these guys busted their ass to finish the game on time. One of the worst decisions I've seen in a while.

NoE could use an in-house studio. Though they'd have to travel to Germany as that's where NoE is based. Or just have NoE rent out building for the new team in France.

I must say that I'm struggling with the emotional investment aspect of this. I've worked on huge systems (admittedly not games) that I was extremely proud of that never actually saw the light of day (including one that was shelved on the day it was going live). Not once did I get particularly upset by these decisions. Frustrated, maybe, but certainly not enough to let it affect my life in any meaningful way. Especially not by losing my objectivity towards a customer / employer... which is what these devs seem to be doing. I appreciate this is fairly minor stuff, but it's still quite damaging to Ubisoft.

I'm sure I'm going to get shouted at here... but they did their job, they got paid for it, and the game is still coming out, so why do they care so much? Am I just a robot or something?

Top Bottom