• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

If even Ancel himself is against Ubisoft's brainfart decision to delay a finished game by 7 months, then why the hell shouldn't people like us join the cause?

I'm sure I'm going to get shouted at here... but they did their job, they got paid for it, and the game is still coming out, so why do they care so much? Am I just a robot or something?

Put yourself a bit more in their position:
They worked overtime for the last few months to make sure the game is done and ready for sale by Feb 26th.
Now that game gets delayed by over half a year.
3 or more months of crunch time for nothing.

How would you react?

Remember when Team Bondi was fucking pissed about the brutal crunch time Rockstar put on them for L.A. Noire? That game at least didn't get delayed, but I can'T imagine that Ubisofts crunch time pressure is much different.

Corto

There are smart people at Ubisoft. The removal of DRM on PC games shows that. Maybe those people could have weight enough to sway the delay decision. I hope that Ancel's cachet inside the company can help rally those smart people around that cause.

Calamari41

41 > 38
But you guys, Ubisoft definitely made the right decision. They are a corporation, and every decision corporations make is right. Because if it wasn't right, why would they have made the decision? QED. /Baconsammy

C'mon, we can still start this party early Ubi, simultaneous release in May, lets make this happen before the summer. I just want this game ha.

Famassu

Pretty pathetic for a development team. If I was the CEO, I'd let them go after they were done.
You'd be the biggest idiot in the world, then. No one in their right mind would let Michel Ancel & his wonderful team go. One of the most incredible creative minds in the biz.

Wii Tank

This really blew up in Ubi's face, didn't it?

I only plan on buying the game if it comes out this month. As much as I want to support the devs for what looks like a fantastic game, I cannot support Ubisoft for going through with a stupid decision like this.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The suits definitely made a mistake not coming to the multi-platform decision earlier, so they should have given this team a one month paid holiday to make up for rolling crunch, maybe even spring for a 5* spar resort.

Beyond that its a bit silly for the dev team to not see the plain and true business sense the delay makes to market/advertise just once (unless Nintendo wanted to pay the marketing costs which of course they dont) and not roll the "Wii U version in the bargain bin, must be trash" gambit when the 360/PS3 version came around. Thats why artisans need businessmen/women I guess; that making money aspect often eludes them.

Well, that happened.

It is a fireable offense from management's point of view. While I disagree with Ubisoft's decision to delay Legends' release on WiiU, Ancel's protest is insubordinate.

I ask because I simply do not know; do the Rayman games sell well enough to force Ubisoft to keep Ancel on board, or is his position with the company expendable?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You'd be the biggest idiot in the world, then. No one in their right mind would let Michel Ancel & his wonderful team go. One of the most incredible creative minds in the biz.

Oh he also did Peter Jackson's King Kong. That game was pretty bad but fun as hell when you could play as Kong.

I've also never enjoyed a Rayman game so I don't understand the hubbub. I started at Rayman 2 on the DC and have tried about half of them. None of em clicked with me.

tuffy

360 and PS3 owners aren't going to want a Wii U port, and Wii U owners will have forgotten all about this game by September. So Ubisoft's management has guaranteed it'll tank badly and be quickly forgotten in the Christmas rush.

Mlatador

Banned
A few things in the way of that:

1) French labor laws
2) The fact that Ubi Mont's team in its near entirety would be picked up by someone else like lightning.

The delay causes all of the marketing done thus far: the E3 stage demos, the in-store Wii U kiosk demos, the Wii U download store demo, go to absolute waste.

Thank for pointing that out. Some people here (probably Americans) believe that it must be as easy to fire someone in Europe as it is in America. It's not. As an employee you actually have rights here, lol.

Nairume

Banned
I must say that I'm struggling with the emotional investment aspect of this. I've worked on huge systems (admittedly not games) that I was extremely proud of that never actually saw the light of day (including one that was shelved on the day it was going live). Not once did I get particularly upset by these decisions. Frustrated, maybe, but certainly not enough to let it affect my life in any meaningful way. Especially not by losing my objectivity towards a customer / employer... which is what these devs seem to be doing. I appreciate this is fairly minor stuff, but it's still quite damaging to Ubisoft.

I'm sure I'm going to get shouted at here... but they did their job, they got paid for it, and the game is still coming out, so why do they care so much? Am I just a robot or something?
They care because they recognize that it's a really stupid situation and that it means a lot more pointless work for them to go through for something that is being hilariously timed to release alongside the biggest game of the year.

MrKaepora

I must say that I'm struggling with the emotional investment aspect of this. I've worked on huge systems (admittedly not games) that I was extremely proud of that never actually saw the light of day (including one that was shelved on the day it was going live). Not once did I get particularly upset by these decisions. Frustrated, maybe, but certainly not enough to let it affect my life in any meaningful way. Especially not by losing my objectivity towards a customer / employer... which is what these devs seem to be doing.

Different people react in different ways. For you it was another day at the office, you did what you were asked, you delivered and the boss cut your legs and you didn't care. Ancel and his team got payed but they did care.

Seriously. They need to release this shit pronto.

Not only are Wii U owners starved for quality software but these guys busted their ass to finish the game on time. One of the worst decisions I've seen in a while.

Where exactly would he work? I'd imagine he doesn't want to up and leave for Japan or the US.
Nintendo of Europe

The unfolding saga that has come as a result of this round of Ubisoft's bed-shitting is amusing to see.

After how Ubisoft has treated his team and his games over the years, Ancel would be well within his rights to walk, never mind being sacked.

I, for one, would be pissed if I went through all the drama of crunch time only for it all to be revealed as unnecessary.

NoE could use an in-house studio. Though they'd have to travel to Germany as that's where NoE is based. Or just have NoE rent out building for the new team in France.

Make Mobiclip/NERD a full-fledged team, they have an outlet in France that's not just Nintendo of France or whatever.

Ancel alone would shape them up into god-tier status.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Whoa so those are actually TRUE? And publishers put up with it? That sounds like some SNES era shit. Amazing.

It's not exactly a secret: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-24-why-microsoft-wont-publish-psn-firsts

Eurogamer said:
Microsoft's Content Submission and Release Policy, seen by Eurogamer, details its third-party publisher guidelines.

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available," it reads.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
But a Ubi employee told us the delay was for the better and that we disrespected the devs by being mad at Ubi's suits!

AHA-Lambda

Well, that happened.

It is a fireable offense from management's point of view. While I disagree with Ubisoft's decision to delay Legends' release on WiiU, Ancel's protest is insubordinate.

I ask because I simply do not know; do the Rayman games sell well enough to force Ubisoft to keep Ancel on board, or is his position with the company expendable?

That's the thing, Ancel is really talented but let's just say he doesn't head up Assassins Creed or anything :-/
I'm kinda worried for him now
and Beyond Good & Evil 2

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rares sont les boîtes où les créas sont aussi décisionnaires. Il y en a quelques unes...

Yeah i know this far too well, but admit that this kind of move is relatively rare and can't reveal good things for the atmosphere in the background. Well, if it's not a sophisticated PR move, but i doubt it, like i said on the other thread, they were waiting for HQ to greenlight the latest phase of development (submission to Nintendo and production) all January.

jaypah

Respect due! You have my axe Mr. Ancel. Must be a very frustrating turn of events for the team, I know how proud they are of the game and what it accomplished as far as utilizing the WiiU pad. After playing through Origins with me my fiancé was stoked to play this, the demo was killer. She was devastated that it got pushed back :'(

Sipowicz

Banned
if iwata wasn't so incompetent and tight he could have this living legend working under nintendo

but alas he is, so we wont

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What about Razors Edge?

They reserve the right to deny your game, not that they guarantee they will do it.

If Ubisoft is panicky about making money on Rayman though due to the Wii U's performance, Microsoft and Sony hold all the cards here.

It could also just be Ubisoft's initiative to maximize the effect of marketing spend.

Corto

Well, that happened.

Not even Ubisoft is stupid enough to do something like that. I'm sure Patrice Desilets is following this attentively. Ubisoft could have an exodus in their teams if they react against Ancel and his team.

Michel Ancel you beautiful son of a bitch. I don't expect this to change anything, but it's a nice gesture as far as I'm concerned.

Different people react in different ways. For you it was another day at the office, you did what you were asked, you delivered and the boss cut your legs and you didn't care. Ancel and his team got payed but they did care.

No bosses in my situation aside from the customers. Your choice of "cut your legs" is interesting though, quite emotive. If an employee is paid to deliver a product, what difference does it make to them what is done with the product when they're finished with it?

Again, I could understand it if it was never coming out (especially as they'd lose their credits on the title), but obviously that's not the case here.

I guess I'm just built a little differently. I would be frustrated by the long hours, but my work in this case wouldn't be pointless. Plus I'd be expecting some well deserved time off. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must say that I'm struggling with the emotional investment aspect of this. I've worked on huge systems (admittedly not games) that I was extremely proud of that never actually saw the light of day (including one that was shelved on the day it was going live). Not once did I get particularly upset by these decisions. Frustrated, maybe, but certainly not enough to let it affect my life in any meaningful way. Especially not by losing my objectivity towards a customer / employer... which is what these devs seem to be doing. I appreciate this is fairly minor stuff, but it's still quite damaging to Ubisoft.

It's that French passion, man.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you guys must sleep with the big companies. Holy shit.

Some of us have managed things before, and understand how damaging insubordination is, which is where some of us are coming from.

Top Bottom