• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

Help me understand, but why is their spot so tight? What hard decisions do they need to make? Do they care? I doubt it.

You really think that the dev team of an anticipated title of a franchise with an established fanbase coming out in anger against your policy puts a company in an awkward position?

Really?
What the heck is with you Rayman people?
What the heck is with you corporate apologists?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Cmon now. It's about managing your employees. Nobody wants a scene that has an employee publicly calling the business' motives out like that. It's not anti-consumer. What the heck is with you Rayman people?

I'm not "Rayman people". I don't think I've ever finished a Rayman game despite liking Origins.

They don't want a scene like this one? Then maybe they shouldn't have fucked over their employees and consumers.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If you were actually a good manager/CEO, you wouldn't let it get to the point where one of your brightest star employees is publicly calling you out

I'd imagine the CEO has other things on his mind regarding Rayman as opposed to the major creative force behind it. Bigger picture, no matter how flawed we may perceive it.

Bravo!

Ubisoft has handled this entire situation extremely poorly and are receiving pressure from fans, Dev, and even VG Media Outlets. I doubt it will do any good but knowing the Dev are also this unhappy should at least make Ubisoft take notice.

Kimawolf

Cmon now. It's about managing your employees. Nobody wants a scene that has an employee publicly calling the business' motives out like that. It's not anti-consumer. What the heck is with you Rayman people?

True but Ancel is your "Creative" savant at your company. You know he may not be a real sales juggernaut, but he will give you the critic appeal you want to have. So you pacify him somewhat, and keep him happy. I'd not fire him or his team, i'd release the game and give him a budget to work on whatever he wants to shut him up, he is after all the creative drive in the company even if he isn't the main money maker.

They could release it as an "Early Adopters edition" on Wii U eShop only for now. Full fledged retail release in Sept.

Kinda like Rayman Legends Sigma :p

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a PR move or if the Ubisoft bosses are actually happy with such an action. People were pretty angry when Ubisoft announced the delay, and many said they won't buy the game and that they hated Ubisoft. Now there are two groups at Ubisoft, the brave devs who the fans can sympathize with and the evil suits who have delayed the game. And wouldn't it be a real shame if people won't buy the new Rayman title and support those devs, just because some bosses made a bad decision which we have to accept?

Haunted

Ubisoft apologists and corporate ballwashers (to the detriment of the actual creators!) in this thread can fuck right off. :)

Necron

Pretty pathetic for a development team. If I was the CEO, I'd let them go after they were done.

Wow. Good thing you're not the CEO then.

tumblr_ma0bcqh0Rn1qa9kon.gif

I hope Michel Ancel and his team succeeds at this. I really love his games and the team deserves to release it after working so hard on it.

MoogPaul

I dont think they understand what a protest is if they are still working and receiving payments for said work at the company that they claim to be protesting.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You really think that the dev team of an anticipated title of a franchise with an established fanbase coming out in anger against your policy puts a company in an awkward position?

Really?

Yeah, I don't think it puts them in an awkward position at all. They're going to stick to their plan, and while Ancel may even not be affected, I'd imagine the people with him would if this isn't a fan visit. Shit always flows downhill.

I'm not "Rayman people". I don't think I've ever finished a Rayman game despite liking Origins.

They don't want a scene like this one? Then maybe they shouldn't have fucked over their employees and consumers.

Can you help me understand, because I think I might be missing a pretty big piece of this, how the employees got fucked over, and the consumers? I haven't followed the entire saga too closely, all I know is that the Wii U version is complete, got delayed due to multiplatform release, and that's about it.

Gemüsepizza;47618782 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a PR move or if the Ubisoft bosses are actually happy with such an action. People were pretty angry when Ubisoft announced the delay, and many said they won't buy the game and that they hated Ubisoft. Now there are two groups at Ubisoft, the brave devs who the fans can sympathize with and the evil suits who have delayed the game. And wouldn't it be a real shame if people won't buy the new Rayman title and support those devs, just because some bosses made a bad decision which we have to accept?

Ha, I Love it.

monome

Ubi could still count on the fact MS would accept to release it anyway.

yep, it's a bitch move. Nintendo packaged a Ubi title for their console launch. They may not be happy with sells, but if anyone at Ubi likes history (hint :AssCreed shows they don't) they should know it's a first (and certainly a last).

Brazil

this is uncalled for. If Ubisoft wants to maximize marketing effectiveness and hype by combining the releases, its a harsh, but solid call. the team needs to stop acting like a child not getting their candy. They got paid, they delivered the game to ubisoft. They are out of line, and should be thankful if they still have a job at Ubisoft when this blows over.

Oh my God. The corporate apologists are really getting out of hand ITT.

Replicant

You can't actually release late on Xbox 360 and you can't release late on PS3 without exclusive content.

It's not gonna happen then. MS influence is big enough atm that Ubi may just consider Wii U market as collateral to get that PS360 market. This will also mean they'll think twice before announcing something for Wii U next time because they won't want similar incident to occur again.

NotLiquid

On the note of the ports I'm kind of confused as to why it has to take them seven months to port the game. I was under the impression that the UbiArt Framework had an almost identical parity between all consoles. Wouldn't the hard part just have been a matter of removing those Wii U exclusive levels?

zroid

Banned
I saw the reaction on miiverse where you could tell that Nintendo were pissed as well...they didn't even attempt to censor posts.

People keep saying this, but I'm not really sure it's indicative of anything. Voicing displeasure isn't against the Miiverse code of conduct. There were no vulgarities in those posts of protestation.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I didn't realize how many republicans we had on this board. Wow.

this is uncalled for. If Ubisoft wants to maximize marketing effectiveness and hype by combining the releases, its a harsh, but solid call. the team needs to stop acting like a child not getting their candy. They got paid, they delivered the game to ubisoft. They are out of line, and should be thankful if they still have a job at Ubisoft when this blows over.

Are we not gamers here? Why will people want policys that will delays games that are completed?

And how will delaying the games help sales?You pissed off ps3 and xbox360 owners because of cut wiiu content(around 20%) and you pisses off wiiu owners who have to wait.who will want to pay for a game that have 1/5 of the content missing?

MrKaepora

No bosses in my situation aside from the customers. Your choice of "cut your legs" is interesting though, quite emotive. If an employee is paid to deliver a product, what difference does it make to them what is done with the product when they're finished with it?

Again, I could understand it if it was never coming out (especially as they'd lose their credits on the title), but obviously that's not the case here.

I guess I'm just built a little differently. I would be frustrated by the long hours, but my work in this case wouldn't be pointless. Plus I'd be expecting some well deserved time off. :)

You are an employee, not a slave. These people cut hours of their time to spend with their families to finish a product because they've been told to do that, they deserve respect for their time. I worked in a product I put my heart and time on it I want it to be appreciated.

Is the game still coming out? Yes, it is. But when you had to rush your job to meet deadlines and cut hours of your own time, you expect to be respected.

JDSN

Banned
Gummb Luther King Jr has inspired our developer brother to rise. It continues to amazes me the amount of people your pissed off to see these kind of protest, I hope your jobs are great and fruitful because you wont have the balls to demand more when that changes.

mclem

I hope they don't get fired....

If they did, the ensuing shitstorm would be almighty. Although some other company would have to pick them up, surely? You don't turn down Ancel in a hurry.

(That said, it would still - presumably - mean Ancel was separated from the BG&E rights, and that's unjust)

AzaK

But a Ubi employee told us the delay was for the better and that we disrespected the devs by being mad at Ubi's suits!
Whaaaaaa?!?!

Having been a developer in a very very large software company, deadline induced crunches are awful. People's lives and relationships strain and it puts a horrible cloud over the work environment for some time. To then not ship the software would be a big kick in the balls. I bet the Dev team aren't getting their overtime back in lieu.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You know, if they were to release the Wii U version in February, thus mandating extra content be added to the PS3/360 versions later... I think I would be less likely to get the Wii U version. I 100%'d Origins and still felt like I could have handled a few more worlds of content, so I suspect I'll 100% this when I get it, and I'd definitely prefer the complete package.

Brazil

Can you help me understand, because I think I might be missing a pretty big piece of this, how the employees got fucked over, and the consumers? I haven't followed the entire saga too closely, all I know is that the Wii U version is complete, got delayed due to multiplatform release, and that's about it.

I suggest you read the forum post a dev made about this whole affair. It's linked in the Eurogamer article.

And it should be pretty obvious how consumers got fucked over.

StatsChu

Neo Member
I hope they don't fire him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft did. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if one of their intents with the delay is to get free press. That would definitely boost sales if Ubi decided to release the game in March/April.

But firing Ancel might not be a bad thing for gamers though... imagine the greatness of an Ancel indie title, kickstarter funded.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
True but Ancel is your "Creative" savant at your company. You know he may not be a real sales juggernaut, but he will give you the critic appeal you want to have. So you pacify him somewhat, and keep him happy. I'd not fire him or his team, i'd release the game and give him a budget to work on whatever he wants to shut him up, he is after all the creative drive in the company even if he isn't the main money maker.

I understand where you're coming from - at the same time, making a concession like that, considering Ubisoft has their hands in so many studios with so many people, it sets a bad precedent that if you don't like a BUSINESS decision, even if you're on the creative end, you should make it known to the public. That ain't so good.

Maxrunner

Really?

What the heck is with you corporate apologists?

They're only on the ubisoft side because of the port of this game to their console of choice. But how can anyone defend MS policy is beyond me.....truly disgusting...

thefro

You know, if they were to release the Wii U version in February, thus mandating extra content be added to the PS3/360 versions later... I think I would be less likely to get the Wii U version. I 100%'d Origins and still felt like I could have handled a few more worlds of content, so I suspect I'll 100% this when I get it, and I'd definitely prefer the complete package.

There would have to be different content anyway because of the Murfy levels that use the touchpad.

Employees got fucked over because they went through the pressures of development crunch time and submitted the game to the higher ups, only to find that was entirely unnecessary.

Customers got fucked over because a highly anticipated title, that was scheduled to release in three weeks time and had been paid off by some, was being delayed for reasons that had no relevance to many customers.

Coolwhip

Banned

Well, it's not like Ubi cares which version you're going to get.

zroid

Banned

Would it still be against Microsoft policy if they added the bonus content to Wii U via free (or even paid) DLC, let's say, a couple weeks after the other platforms' release?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I suggest you read the forum post a dev made about this whole affair. It's linked in the Eurogamer article.

And it should be pretty obvious how consumers got fucked over.

I'll look up that post in the Eurogamer article, thanks - but I still don't see how the consumers are fucked over. Is it just because they want to play a game NOW NOW NOW? Or is there more to it?

Top Bottom