• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michel Ancel and Rayman dev team show up at fan(?) protest RE: Rayman Legends delay

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You know, if they were to release the Wii U version in February, thus mandating extra content be added to the PS3/360 versions later... I think I would be less likely to get the Wii U version. I 100%'d Origins and still felt like I could have handled a few more worlds of content, so I suspect I'll 100% this when I get it, and I'd definitely prefer the complete package.
Reading impressions for 7 months would be far worst.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
For the record...

I think the games media is partly to blame for this situation. They have a strong bias against covering/promoting old ports. Splitting the release between February and next September would result in a fraction of media exposure for the ps360 version compared to the Wii U sku. The way games media ignores old ports is a strong disincentive for publishers to have scattered release dates.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'd imagine the CEO has other things on his mind regarding Rayman as opposed to the major creative force behind it.

Not anymore. If Ancel is disposable, then let them dispose of him.

Edit: I just saw that you had asked for details on what went down. Basically these developers were put in an insane crunch to finish the game in time. The one who spoke out talked about months practically without seeing his family and friends. Then just as they finish, they are told "hey guess what, we're sitting on the game for 7 months deal with it." As a manager, I'm sure you can see the problems that would cause. (I'm not being snarky with that last line btw)

NotLiquid

Would it still be against Microsoft policy if they added the bonus content to Wii U via free (or even paid) DLC, let's say, a couple weeks after the other platforms' release?

Seeing how Razor's Edge is getting that exact treatment on Wii U thanks to DLC; no. The regulation, if it really applies explicitly as such, only talks about on-disc material.

That's fantastic! Can you imagine Miyamoto doing this for a Nintendo game? So proud of Michel for doing this. If anyone could change Ubisoft's mind, wouldn't it be him? Maybe we will see it for Wii U this summer after all.

tnaden

I'll look up that post in the Eurogamer article, thanks - but I still don't see how the consumers are fucked over. Is it just because they want to play a game NOW NOW NOW? Or is there more to it?

"Halo 6 is coming out next month. No wait it isn't, we're delaying it with 7 months. Why? Cause we wanna port it to ps3 and release it at the same time."
I realise Halo is a bad example.

Jburton

Banned
Of course its true.
Ubi just won't spend the money on more than one marketing campaign (if it even gets one), and suddenly realised that a WiiU only release would be a certain financial loss.

No conspiracy here, just heartless money-men making the decisions. Nothing new.

Heartless money men?

It's a business ffs.

I don't know why ubi won't just release the damn thing. There's no use in trying to make this game bigger than it is, it's not gonna turn into a big multi million seller just because it releases on 360 and PS3 at the same time.

For the potential of the game, the Wii U already has more than enough of an install base. Just get it over with and let these boys work on beyond good and evil 2.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"Halo 6 is coming out next month. No wait it isn't, we're delaying it with 7 months. Why? Cause we wanna port it to ps3 and release it at the same time."

...so? Is that it? Are people just impatient and don't feel they should have to wait? Why can't they wait? What kind of life is this? It's not like the game is in the trash.

Do people do this about movies that are delayed for awards season?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I understand where you're coming from - at the same time, making a concession like that, considering Ubisoft has their hands in so many studios with so many people, it sets a bad precedent that if you don't like a BUSINESS decision, even if you're on the creative end, you should make it known to the public. That ain't so good.

I guess it would depend on when the business decision was made. Before or after the dev team spent the past 6 months working 16 hr days 7 days a week for some deadline that ultimately didn't matter?

I'll look up that post in the Eurogamer article, thanks - but I still don't see how the consumers are fucked over. Is it just because they want to play a game NOW NOW NOW? Or is there more to it?

Let me use an analogy. You order a dish in a restaurant, and are told it'll be ready at 7. They later say it'll be ready at 7:30 to give it a chance to be a better dish. OK, fair enough.

Then, at 7:25, you're informed that your dish is ready, but you can't have it until midnight because the kitchens are being made to turn out more of these dishes for other people. Would it not be within your rights to feel that, as a consumer, you'd been fucked over?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it would depend on when the business decision was made. Before or after the dev team spent the past 6 months working 16 hr days 7 days a week for some deadline that ultimately didn't matter?

Yeah, but things change. I've had projects at my job that I've been crunching on, that are creative endeavors, then all of a sudden, it's not a priority. That's just how it is.

Let me use an analogy. You order a dish in a restaurant, and are told it'll be ready at 7. They later say it'll be ready at 7:30 to give it a chance to be a better dish. OK, fair enough.

Then, at 7:25, you're informed that your dish is ready, but you can't have it until midnight because the kitchens are being made to turn out more of these dishes for other people. Would it not be within your rights to feel that, as a consumer, you'd been fucked over?

Not really, I'd just go elsewhere and not return, no matter how badly I wanted to eat that - I'd go eat something else, somewhere else. What rights do I need there? What's being violated? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Nairume

Banned
You know, if they were to release the Wii U version in February, thus mandating extra content be added to the PS3/360 versions later... I think I would be less likely to get the Wii U version. I 100%'d Origins and still felt like I could have handled a few more worlds of content, so I suspect I'll 100% this when I get it, and I'd definitely prefer the complete package.

I'd probably still go for the version with "less" content since it's the version my fiancee was wanting for her birthday.

Now the game is coming out way later either way, and at a point to where neither of us are probably going to care until the game is in the bargain bin.

le.phat

Are we not gamers here? Why will people want policys that will delays games that are completed?

And how will delaying the games help sales?You pissed off ps3 and xbox360 owners because of cut wiiu content(around 20%) and you pisses off wiiu owners who have to wait.who will want to pay for a game that have 1/5 of the content missing?

I justl think its really stupid to bite the hand that feeds you. the delay means Ubisoft gets to build hype and form a united marketing push. Now as a 'gamer' this news is doesn't affect me in any negative way. I'm a pc/ps3 gamer and all this announcement means, to me, is another possible pickup in the month of september. And i why would i be pissed off about cut content if the game wasn't even on my radar a month ago ?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see devs start doing things like this. It feels that in the gaming industry the various laws regarding work ethics don't apply...

vg260

I understand both sides' points of view, but couldn't they keep it internal and handle some sort of compensation/reward for their hard overtime work internally rather than air their dirty laundry publicly? or maybe they already did.

Maxrunner

...so? Is that it? Are people just impatient and don't feel they should have to wait? Why can't they wait? What kind of life is this? It's not like the game is in the trash.

Do people do this about movies that are delayed for awards season?

i think the issue here is MS policy, people criticise Nintendo decisions but this one easily takes the crown....

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'd just go elsewhere and not return, no matter how badly I wanted to eat that - I'd go eat something else, somewhere else. What rights do I need there? What's being violated? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

You mean like choosing not to buy Rayman in September?

And just to voice an opinion on this situation:

This is the biggest f up by a game company I've seen in years. And it wasn't Ubisoft's f up, it was Nintendo's. They continue to drop the ball with the Wii U. They should have been at Ubisoft's offices signing an exclusivity agreement the minute they saw the reaction to this game on the internet. The game looks amazing, and yet, Nintendo chooses yet again for their console to have no content. So the decision to delay and release almost a year later isn't even a discussion between Ubisoft and Nintendo -- it's a decision by corporate shills amid likely pressure from Microsoft.

How do you own the entire industry as Nintendo did and yet have such poor competitive business sense? It defies logic.

NotLiquid

Not really, I'd just go elsewhere and not return, no matter how badly I wanted to eat that - I'd go eat something else, somewhere else. What rights do I need there? What's being violated? If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Funny you say that when people act shocked about people saying they won't buy the game day one anymore if it comes out in September.

Hiltz

Where's XSEED when you need em ? They'd pay off Ubisoft to bring the Wii U version here.

This delay is quite bad, but Xenoblade's controversy was also terrible.

mclem

I must say that I'm struggling with the emotional investment aspect of this. I've worked on huge systems (admittedly not games) that I was extremely proud of that never actually saw the light of day (including one that was shelved on the day it was going live). Not once did I get particularly upset by these decisions. Frustrated, maybe, but certainly not enough to let it affect my life in any meaningful way. Especially not by losing my objectivity towards a customer / employer... which is what these devs seem to be doing. I appreciate this is fairly minor stuff, but it's still quite damaging to Ubisoft.

I'm sure I'm going to get shouted at here... but they did their job, they got paid for it, and the game is still coming out, so why do they care so much? Am I just a robot or something?

I commented on this in an earlier thread, but I think the key difference is gaming is a creative entertainment industry, and effectively developers are working for *two* groups of people. Directly, they're working for the people who want to profit from the game - the publisher. Indirectly, they're working for the people who want to play and enjoy the game - the players.

From a business standpoint, they want to please the publisher. From an artistic standpoint, they want to please the players. I think you'd struggle to find a dev - at least, one who has pride in his work - that doesn't regard the artistic goals at least on a par and ideally *above* the business goals. And now Ubi's actions mean that Ancel's team have failed in some of their artistic goals through no fault of their own.

I would imagine that in your experience you're only working to please one entity, and if something gets canned, that's because the people you were making it for don't want it any more; that's not the case in this instance.

To give @RichIGN his dues: This is now 'very interesting' Wii U news.

These knobs realize they have poisoned the well with people who fund them right?

I don't think you guys understand European labor laws. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIRE PEOPLE IN FRANCE. Their labor laws are extremely left wing. The employees have more rights

Jburton

Banned
Good to see devs start doing things like this. It feels that in the gaming industry the various laws regarding work ethics don't apply...

"Work ethics"?

They were payed to do a job, as long as no one beat them and did not pay them, work ethics have fuck all to do with this.

It's ubisofts product, they can do with it what they want .... they own it.

Maybe they never wanted to in the first place, and Ancel hopes to get Nintendo's attention for a Bayonetta like deal.

After this, you have to wonder...

Would Nintendo be even willing? Have they done this with a western game before?

But yeah, what the fuck is it going to take to get Nintendo to open up a EU studio?

Hell if these guys take-off/get the sack, Nintendo should just form Nintendo Montpellier and take them in, or some other name of Ancel's choice.

Cbajd5

Why are people still arguing marketing as a good reason to delay it?

Didn't they already pay to have the demo be the only playable demo on most retail Wii U units? Did that suddenly not cost money? If it didn't then it still had to cost them money once they made it not exclusive, since I'm guessing Nintendo's not a charity. (If they are: UBISOFT YOU BE MONSTERS) So that money's wasted by delaying the Wii U version, since anyone who saw/played it will now think it's months old or just forget about it come September with the other games that will be out by then.

If they want to advertise in other areas only once, then do that for the September release. Make it eShop only until then or something, then you won't have cheap copies of the game at retail either. You'll more likely than not get your Wii U advertising for the eShop release through the WaraWara Plaza/Miiverse.

And that's why this whole thing is very stupid on Ubisoft's part.

All of those pictured and not pictured from the dev team have FULL right to be extremely sour, and realistically should be fairly hesitant to continue working for Ubisoft. They clearly slaved for the better part of a year to meet a crazy schedule of demo and gold product releases, and in an instant they were slapped in the face. Given their pedigree, they would not have much trouble finding work in this industry and they should consider it. Yes, this is not the first time stuff like this has happened in this industry, but this is particularly egregious

Cbajd5, I actually don't think that any extra funds changed hands surrounding Legends being the only playable demo. I think that the initial good faith Ubisoft established (which is getting dangerously thin) with all the titles they had slated for the launch window played a major role. Speaking to one of the reps at an August preview event, he hinted to me that Fall demo units would feature Rayman because Nintendo wanted a tight, focused fun demo for both one or two players that showed various gamepad features and also displayed some stunning visual fidelity. I firmly believe that Rayman Legends as an exclusive playable demo was simply a case of MASSIVE added value of their initial business partnership, which makes this delay an even bigger slap in the face

massoluk

Banned
Lolwut? The consumers are getting the game just at a later date. Jesus Christ at these reaction. Too funny.

Some consumer bought a Wii U in part due to the promise of Rayman coming soon, I don't see what's wrong with the reaction. Might not be explicitly for Rayman, but I bet it did nudge some people over.

I justl think its really stupid to bite the hand that feeds you. the delay means Ubisoft gets to build hype and form a united marketing push. Now as a 'gamer' this news is doesn't affect me in any negative way. I'm a pc/ps3 gamer and all this announcement means, to me, is another possible pickup in the month of september. And i why would i be pissed off about cut content if the game wasn't even on my radar a month ago ?
I don't even own a wiiu but i won't pickup this for ps3/xbox 360 if i am getting 4/5 of the game. I will rather wait till i get a wiiu.

Even if you are happy with the news , you can see why fans of the serials are losses off. Even if they do not have to buy a new platform for the game , they will miss out content for the game.lets hope they can replicate it with the vita.

Top Bottom