• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

Dysun

I was actually kinda interested in seeing DJ break the record, and I usually check out for most Flyweight bouts

iddqd

I hope DJ is happy ducking TJ Dillashaw for this.

giphy.gif

Don't buy into the UFC's dribble.

Also:
DJ and Dana right now (thanks to reddit)

Yaari

This a joke, right?

No. I thought his reasoning for not wanting that fight was absolutely ridiculous. TJ misses weight? Atleast be honest about it and straight up ask for more money, because to fault TJ for missing weight and then pick Ray Borg with the same issues in the past, is just ridiculous.

I remember when Matt Hume teased a Cruz rematch and nothing came off of it. So yes, I actually hate the opponents Mighty Mouse picks and it is no surprise his PPVs dont sell at all.

Heel

You don't know the HUT numbers, goofs. Do you know what movie comes out this weekend? Anybody? The remake of It. No one is going to be home, it's crazy.

dream

Funny thang is, the local beat reporter predicts:

Your correspondent is projecting post-event numbers will reveal it to be more successful than any recent UFC show.

The expectation is that Edmonton will hit 19,000 and pass $3 million in live gate numbers.

Fucking preposterous, really.

SoundLad

^ these avatars are cracking me up - am I missing a meme here or something?

on topic: Really disappointed to see the main event get cancelled - this fucking sucks. Not interested in seeing this at all anymore. Might watch the Stephens and Dos Anjos fights though, maybe.

VoxPop

Funny thang is, the local beat reporter predicts:

Fucking preposterous, really.

All hail Amanda "Money" Nunes

UFC 196 - 1.5m buys
UFC 200 - 1m buys
UFC 207 - 1.1m buys

Hell, she even got 200K buys for a Mighty Mouse headlined card

This event could easily do 1M tomorrow night with the queen back on top

Why are people NOW saying "lowest ppv ever"

By all means , the new main event (even though it was on the card regardless) is 10x better than MM vs Insert Created Character

This does nothing to change buy rates...if anything this card has more exposure NOW.

No. I thought his reasoning for not wanting that fight was absolutely ridiculous. TJ misses weight? Atleast be honest about it and straight up ask for more money, because to fault TJ for missing weight and then pick Ray Borg with the same issues in the past, is just ridiculous.

I remember when Matt Hume teased a Cruz rematch and nothing came off of it. So yes, I actually hate the opponents Mighty Mouse picks and it is no surprise his PPVs dont sell at all.

Let me get this straight, you sincerely think DJ is scared to fight Dillashaw? Bear in mind DJ wanted Cody, who is probably a tougher fight than Dillashaw because of the added factor of obvious knockout power.

As a matter of fact, DJ did ask for more money. More specifically, DJ wanted a guarantee of Dillashaw's entire purse if he took the fight and Dillashaw missed weight.

He also didn't pick Ray Borg. DJ wanted to fight Sergio Pettis. The UFC said no and insisted on Borg, and then when DJ then signed the contract to fight Borg, he was then told by Dana that fight was gonna be put on the back burner in favour of Dillashaw - because that's what Dillashaw wanted.

The #1 contender in a division above that had never fought at 125 who got a titleshot against the 10 time defending champion because it's what he wanted, and on top of that, not only would they not give DJ any guarantees of greater pursue cut in case Dillashaw missed weight, they told him Borg would serve as back up in case the fight fell through.

Compound this with the fact the UFC had made a habit of announcing DJ's opponents without even consulting him and you have one pissed off champion who is sick and tired of hearing who he's fighting from fans and media and refusing to have to prepare to fight two very different opponents for his record breaking 11th title defense.

My only question is why the fuck would you believe in any narrative propagated by a company that has a well documented history of treating fighters like absolute shit, including their own champions.

Yaari

Let me get this straight, you sincerely think DJ is scared to fight Dillashaw? Bear in mind DJ wanted Cody, who is probably a tougher fight than Dillashaw because of the added factor of obvious knockout power.

As a matter of fact, DJ did ask for more money. More specifically, DJ wanted a guarantee of Dillashaw's entire purse if he took the fight and Dillashaw missed weight.

He also didn't pick Ray Borg. DJ wanted to fight Sergio Pettis. The UFC said no and insisted on Borg, and then when DJ then signed the contract to fight Borg, he was then told by Dana that fight was gonna be put on the back burner in favour of Dillashaw - because that's what Dillashaw /I] wanted.

The #1 contender in a division above that had never fought at 125 who got a titleshot against the 10 time defending champion because it's what he wanted, and on top of that, not only would they not give DJ any guarantees of greater pursue cut in case Dillashaw missed weight, they told him Borg would serve as back up in case the fight fell through.

Compound this with the fact the UFC had made a habit of announcing DJ's opponents without even consulting him and you have one pissed off champion who is sick and tired of hearing who he's fighting from fans and media and refusing to have to prepare to fight two very different opponents for his record breaking 11th title defense.

My only question is why the fuck would you believe in any narrative propagated by a company that has a well documented history of treating fighters like absolute shit, including their own champions.

I never said scared. I don't believe in these people being scared of other fighters. I do believe DJ cherrypicked his opponent to break his record here yes.

The TJ fight would have been much more marketable and would have done more for his career than breaking a record that isn't actually going to make any difference in the UFC's promotion of him. He can be on top of their P4P rankings for a year and its not going to make people buy his cards.

I've been following the sport for years and I'm fully aware of the UFC antics and how they treat their fighters. That doesn't mean I can't form my own opinion on the situation though.

In this sport you earn what you are worth, and DJ isn't doing himself any favors not fighting a former champion like Dillashaw when presented.

As much as I'd like it to be otherwise, nobody cares about rankings in this sport. They only care about names, and I think DJ made a very bad pick here. I think he could have easily taken Dillashaw out.

I never said scared. I don't believe in these people being scared of other fighters. I do believe DJ cherrypicked his opponent to break his record here yes.

The TJ fight would have been much more marketable and would have done more for his career than breaking a record that isn't actually going to make any difference in the UFC's promotion of him. He can be on top of their P4P rankings for a year and its not going to make people buy his cards.

I've been following the sport for years and I'm fully aware of the UFC antics and how they treat their fighters. That doesn't mean I can't form my own opinion on the situation though.

In this sport you earn what you are worth, and DJ isn't doing himself any favors not fighting a former champion like Dillashaw when presented.

As much as I'd like it to be otherwise, nobody cares about rankings in this sport. They only care about names, and I think DJ made a very bad pick here. I think he could have easily taken Dillashaw out.

Did you just gloss over my post? DJ didn't want Borg in the first place. It's not cherry picking if the UFC doesn't want to agree to reasonable demands Dillashaw himself agreed to on record.

Dillashaw isn't a draw either, or have you forgotten he lost his title on a Fox card? I'm curious what makes you think he'd sell that fight better than Borg. For someone who's followed the sport for years you are rather uninformed.

I also don't think DJ needs any advice from fans on how to self promote or reminders of how much he's worth. He's been fighting for 11 years, the majority of that at the highest level of competition. I'm sure he'll be fine without us crunching imaginary numbers on his behalf.

VoxPop

Well they're definitely never giving Borg a title shot again. Hoping to see a Cejudo rematch some time down the line or yeah that TJ fight.

How will Dana be mad at DJ for this?

I mean, I know he will, I'm just curious what the excuse or punishment will be this time. Guessing he's not going to be trusted to main event a real PPV and the record will be broken on Fox, maybe FS1 if he's real pissed

VoxPop

Just watching random old events and came across the gem of Wonderboy vs Whittaker from UFC 170. Who would've thunk these two would be the elite of their divisions. Wonderboy looked sharp and made me pretty sad we didn't get to see that Wonderboy in the Woodley fight. I think Whittaker takes him in a rematch but the weight cut might be harsh.

Why are people NOW saying "lowest ppv ever"

By all means , the new main event (even though it was on the card regardless) is 10x better than MM vs Insert Created Character

This does nothing to change buy rates...if anything this card has more exposure NOW.
Agreed. Raising the bar to 90k buys.

Levito

Banned
Alberta can't catch a break with UFC events. I know the DJ/Borg fight wasn't the biggest fight, but I still remember being at Barao/Faber 1 in Calgary and it was the most disappointing thing. That Calgary event was pretty stacked until almost EVERYONE had to pull out.

Chesskid1

Banned
UFC throws money at gilbert to keep him outta bellator and he proceeds to lose a bunch of fights and pops

im still his fan tho, love his style

broz0rs

So Ray Borg's nutritionist company released a statement saying that Borg has been battling an illness and it has nothing to do with weight cutting. Borg himself released a following statement stating that he never allowed his nutritionist to speak on his behalf and fired her. The nutritionist then wished him luck lol

Top Bottom