• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ring girl legends? No tnx. Bring in some fresh meat. I suggest poaching the corona girls from boxing.

dream

It's seriously appalling that "T.J. Grant" got a title shot by beating "Gray Maynard," as if he's somehow special for being able to beat "Maynard." I smacked the shit out of "Gray Maynard" walking out of Starbucks this morning, but nobody gave me a title shot. I didn't even get free coffee.

MjFrancis

I think Dos Anjos should prob be next in line after Grant. The Screaming Eagle has to be mentioned as a strong contender choice as well if he beats Healy.
The UFC would love promoting Khabib Nurmagomedov. Shit just rolls off the tongue.

TJ Grant
dos Anjos
Nurmagomedov

Throw Josh Thompson somewhere in there and I'm happy with those contenders. If Benson and Gil can throw together some entertaining finishes then they can reenter contention as well.

Vio-Lence

Banned
It's seriously appalling that "T.J. Grant" got a title shot by beating "Gray Maynard," as if he's somehow special for being able to beat "Maynard." I smacked the shit out of "Gray Maynard" walking out of Starbucks this morning, but nobody gave me a title shot. I didn't even get free coffee.

does the ultimate need another injury prone china doll champion ala dom cruz? pettis suffers an injury in every training camp or fight.

MjFrancis

He's stringing together wins and finishing fights.

Thompson is close but all he has got is K.J. Noons (who hasn't beat him?), a split decision under Gil and a KO over the finest 209 has to offer.

But thanks to TJ Grant, we won't have to watch Maynard go for the belt again anytime soon. That's a public service you can't overrate.

Yeah no big deal TKOing a guy who is 11-1 and whose only loss at that point came against a champion during a title shot. Who would you have suggested got a title shot before TJ Grant? And I'm not trying to be dickish here. I'm curious to hear your response.

These guys cant train smart. They just cant.

I bet Pettis' trainer smashes his knees with a baseball bat to "toughen them up".
Idiots!

dream

Yeah no big deal TKOing a guy who is 11-1 and whose only loss at that point came against a champion during a title shot. Who would you have suggested got a title shot before TJ Grant? And I'm not trying to be dickish here. I'm curious to hear your response.

Well, Punk, easily. Beyond that, Edson Barboza or maybe even Gilbert.

Vio-Lence

Banned
from my own personal casual core sports entertainment fan perspective, the only interesting fights are either a superfight with 145# champ Joe Aldo or in a battle of handsome Punk Thompson.

MjFrancis

Thompson is probably the only one as high in contention as TJ Grant. He was one judge's scorecard away from the Strikeforce championship and then he knocked out a Diaz. He could be next in line as is, better still if he can knock someone else out in the meantime.

MjFrancis

Well, Punk, easily. Beyond that, Edson Barboza or maybe even Gilbert.
I completely forgot about this cat. Getting KO'd by Jamie Varner is a great way to lower your profile. Too bad, he's got more sports entertainment in any one of his fights than Gil managed to show versus Benson. He should be given more contenders.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't give a fuck about tying up divisions or who earned what title shot. Ain't nobody trying to watch TJ Grant or Ricardo Lamas when the alternative is Pettis/Aldo.

dream

I think the real play here is to have Aldo and Showtime Pettis coach TUF17 to set up their fight in December 2014.

VoxPop

Sweet, made a decent chunk of cash on

Camus x Kang
Krauss x Lim
Porier x Koch
Pettis x Bendo

Lost some money on Mir and Vera though

Having Pettis at the helm of the LW division is going to bring a lot of interesting fresh matchups. Considering like 9 of the top 10 LWs are wrestlers, there will be a constant fear of him getting Guida'd. Speaking of Guida, Money Mendes putting him out was fucking glorious. All hail the future FW champ.

I think the real play here is to have Aldo and Showtime Pettis coach TUF17 to set up their fight in December 2014.

That would be premium entertainment!

Pettis:" Come on....blast him...all bout god baby. Blast him!"
Aldo:" Kick...punch...sssss such a playboy!"

VoxPop

Lol just realized theres another event tomorrow night.

I kinda think Bader will spoil Glover's party with some calculated cage hugging and timely takedowns.

Definitely putting money down on Okami @ +220 to embarrass Jacare as well.

God, I hate these shitty Brazilian cards.

Heel

MAIN CARD

Piotr Hallmann vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Rafael Natal vs. Tor Troeng
Ali Bagautinov vs. Marcos Vinicius

PRELIMINARY CARD

Felipe Arantes vs. Edimilson Souza
Ramiro Hernandez vs. Lucas Martins
Elias Silverio vs. Joao Zeferino
Ivan Jorge vs. Keith Wisniewski

PRELIMINARY CARD

Sean Spencer vs. Yuri Villefort

wyIqAD2.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Why are we talking about who has earned a title shot? This is the UFC...

from my own personal casual core sports entertainment fan perspective, the only interesting fights are either a superfight with 145# champ Joe Aldo or in a battle of handsome Punk Thompson.

Cosigned!

Heel

But all jokes aside, Ali Bagautinov is that mean Russian flyweight making his Ultimate debut. Looking forward to seeing what he's got.

MjFrancis

I kinda think Bader will spoil Glover's party with some calculated cage hugging and timely takedowns.

Definitely putting money down on Okami @ +220 to embarrass Jacare as well.
Both Okami and Bader will win by cage hugging with the occasional takedown. I'm more confident in Okami than Bader, though.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The only way that this could have been redeemed is if the ref started stomping on him and it turned out that the ref was actually Superstar Billy Graham.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this happen. Then we can watch two guys who don't understand each other and are only capable of talking through interpreters pretend to have beef.

Dare I say I'm looking forward to the TUF premiere this Wednesday?
I am too. Calling it now that this is the best season since Junie Browning. (low bar I know)

MAIN CARD

Piotr Hallmann vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Rafael Natal vs. Tor Troeng
Ali Bagautinov vs. Marcos Vinicius

PRELIMINARY CARD

Felipe Arantes vs. Edimilson Souza
Ramiro Hernandez vs. Lucas Martins
Elias Silverio vs. Joao Zeferino
Ivan Jorge vs. Keith Wisniewski

PRELIMINARY CARD

Sean Spencer vs. Yuri Villefort

wyIqAD2.jpg
If you told me this was a Bellator card I'd believe it. The only names I recognize are Natal, Troeng, and Villefort. And Natal and Troeg are the only ones I could pick out of a line-up.

I set my DVR to record the whole season.
irvMFlA8fcLDl.png
Miesha
Hnnnngg

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It's only a matter of time before Brazil catches up to the fact that they're being sold chicken shit as chicken salad and the whole "we have the UFC here!" novelty wears off. There's only 3 fights on tomorrow's card worth watching, 4 if you want to see a Russian midget.

But aren't they when there's no real rhyme or reason behind who gets title shots besides popularity and ability to draw.

And now we're back to the discussion earlier where you have people like me that want to see TJ Grant or Dos Anjos who have earned the title shot and should be first in line even though I guess they're unknown by casuals. And you have other people that think popular guys who might not have earned it but are bigger draws or who are better known, like Thomson and Melendez, should get it. I'm not saying either side is right or wrong. I'm sure UFC sides with the latter though since they're interested in putting asses in seats (otherwise Belfort and Sonnen vs Jones would never have happened).

Vio-Lence

Banned
The issue Mak is that combat sports have always been part sport and part entertainment. Until there's a real federation and rankings its going to be uncle fester and Joe silver trying to make a buck and put asses in the arena.

I suspect people didn't go to the coliseum to watch technical gladiators point fight for the emperor.

Top Bottom