• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana |OT| - "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

There has not been a Great Pixar since Toys 3, if i remember the dates correctly, that one legit made me cry 😢
You're out of your mind.
images

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Saw it and loved it. Nothing else to say!

E: I lied. I really appreciated the amount of detail they put into the cultural aspects of the movie. After my wife and I spent 2 weeks in Hawaii, we learned a lot about different island histories, traditions and beliefs. They did a fantastic job.

The Lamp

The soundtrack was downright forgettable except for the main theme sung by Moana that was rearranged throughout the movie. When are they going to start making soundtracks like the 90s Renaissance again. The crab song was absolutely embarrassing.

Ixzion

The one thing I kept thinking during this movie was "wow, this movie is GORGEOUS!" and it kept up throughout the entire thing.

Very good movie. The Neo-Disney Renaissance continues!

The soundtrack was downright forgettable except for the main theme sung by Moana that was rearranged throughout the movie. When are they going to start making soundtracks like the 90s Renaissance again. The crab song was absolutely embarrassing.
lol

The music was far and away the best part of an already great film.

There's always going to be one.

The Lamp

lol

The music was far and away the best part of an already great film.

There's always going to be one.

No it really wasn't. The visuals and Polynesian themes were the best part. The standout song was the one Moana sings going out to sea, but the rest was uber forgettable. The rest was on par with Fixer Upper and Heart of Stone from Frozen. Almost nothing instantly classic like a song from Aladdin or Hercules or Mulan or B&B.

Christ @ that horrible Youre Welcome and Shiny song. Some of the worst melody and uninspiring lyrics in a Disney movie. At least compared to the renaissance.

Did the good composers from the 90s die? Even non-Disney like Anastasia and Prince of Egypt are still better than these CG Disney movie soundtracks.

No it really wasn't. The visuals and Polynesian themes were the best part. The standout song was the one Moana sings going out to sea, but the rest was uber forgettable. The rest was on par with Fixer Upper and Heart of Stone from Frozen. Almost nothing instantly classic like a song from Aladdin or Hercules or Mulan or B&B.

Christ @ that horrible Youre Welcome and Shiny song. Some of the worst melody and uninspiring lyrics in a Disney movie. At least compared to the renaissance.

Did the good composers from the 90s die? Even non-Disney like Anastasia and Prince of Egypt are still better than these CG Disney movie soundtracks.

I thought shiny and you're welcome was great. So was We Know the Way and Where you Are. On par with the 90's classic songs imo. To each their own i guess.

JSevere

god this movie was so good. I'd honestly put it as the same level as films like Little Mermaid and Aladdin. Beautiful story, wonderful characters (Moana is one of the best protagonists Disney has ever had imo), excellent music. Disney better not let Lin-Manuel go anytime soon, dude is a treasure and I'm gonna have "You're Welcome" stuck in my head for a long time. Absolutely gorgeous visuals too, probably the best looking CG movie I've ever seen with some great bits of hand-drawn animation thrown in too. Just an amazing package all around.

Goodstyle

Can someone spoiler tag the end credits? I left early not knowing they doing Marvel now.

It was awesome lol

Basically Jermaine Clement's Tamatoa STILL stuck on his back, and whining about how if he was named Sebastian and had a Jamaican accent he'd have been helped up by now.

KillGore

Fantastic film but the piggy was robbed. He/She should've been the companion instead of the chicken.

Can someone spoiler tag the end credits? I left early not knowing they doing Marvel now.

the big crab is upside-down talking to the audience, saying that if his name were sebastian and he had a jamaican accent, the audience would be more willing to help him.

Malyse

The ending bits were stunning as fuck visually, my god

Ten layers of visual effects stacked on each other.

This has been a Disney thing way back as early as POTC 1.

So edgy.
This is the composer who did Lion King

Absolutely loved the movie, we really have entered a new Disney renaissance.

I also loved the short film before the movie, really charming. Anyone know the song that plays at the end of it? I know it's a 80s song but I can't remember what it was called.

Oersted

Egypt is a classic you monster.

Shaanyboi

Banned

what the shit is this?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I normally hate music numbers in films but I have had "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" in my head since Friday.

I normally hate music numbers in films but I have had "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" in my head since Friday.
I've been listening to those 2 and "How Far I'll Go" on Spotify since I left the theater. So damn good. I think I'm going to see this again on Tuesday. First time I can think that I've ever seen an animated film twice in theaters.

I'm hoping this wins the Animated Feature Oscar. No disrepect to Byron Howard/Rich Moore and Travis Knight, but Ron and John deserve one!

mrkgoo

Gutted I still have to wait to see this. I downloaded some songs already to tide me over.

I love the animation and design in zootopia, but form a pure visuals quality perspective is probably have to hand it to Good Dinosaur (which was a mediocre movie at best). How do the visuals compare to good dinosaur visuals?

It was my favorite song from the movie, and it's even more fun seeing how much fun they had making it: https://youtu.be/4fRdwJch6uo?t=212

Both of them are practically dancing.

Auli'i Cravalho is so sweet.

Gutted I still have to wait to see this. I downloaded some songs already to tide me over.

I love the animation and design in zootopia, but form a pure visuals quality perspective is probably have to hand it to Good Dinosaur (which was a mediocre movie at best). How do the visuals compare to good dinosaur visuals?

It's the best looking CGI movie ever made.

The colours, the hair and clothing physics, the facial expressions, the overall details and most of all, THE WATER are all incredible!

HvySky

Just got back from seeing it. One of the most beautiful animated films I've ever seen, and I loved the soundtrack. I found myself listening to 'How Far I'll Go' in my car on the way home and again a couple more times after that.

Blizzard

Banned
Just got back from seeing it. One of the most beautiful animated films I've ever seen, and I loved the soundtrack. I found myself listening to 'How Far I'll Go' in my car on the way home and again a couple more times after that.
I've had random songs from the soundtrack stuck in my head since watching it. My girlfriend has been singing "You're Welcome" practically nonstop.

it was good but very predictable, Joy and Sadness were the only characters that carried the movie imo,

Yeah I thought Inside Out was just okay. I understand the hype around it at release though since it was the first halfway decent Pixar movie in a while.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Can't believe someone was talking shit on "Shiny." That thing has been stuck in my head for the entire 24 hours since I walked out of the theater.

I did the same thing. Pulled up Spotify on way home and popped on that song.

The Lamp

I saw it again today (twice in 12 hours) because friends wanted me to go and they paid for me.

I'm reconsidering how harsh I was on the soundtrack. It's better on a second go. Still kinda forgettable except for that sailing song and How Far I'll Go (which are both great, like top tier songs). The rest is decent and not nearly as bad as I thought, but still nothing too great (Shiny and You're Welcome remind me of something b-tier, like songs from Fox's Thumbelina).

Theres something weird about Shiny and You're Welcome that is mixed weirdly. Like the vocals are muffled out by the other sounds. At least to me.

I saw it again today (twice in 12 hours) because friends wanted me to go and they paid for me.

I'm reconsidering how harsh I was on the soundtrack. It's better on a second go. Still kinda forgettable except for that sailing song and How Far I'll Go (which are both great, like top tier songs). The rest is decent and not nearly as bad as I thought, but still nothing too great (Shiny and You're Welcome remind me of something b-tier, like songs from Fox's Thumbelina).

Theres something weird about Shiny and You're Welcome that is mixed weirdly. Like the vocals are muffled out by the other sounds. At least to me.

give it a third go and you'll love "You're Welcome" and "Shiny". :D

I think just about every Disney movie/musical (hell musicals in general) has 2-3 standout numbers among several more decent but not super memorable songs. The early 90s run (B&TB, Aladdin, TLK) bucks this a little where just about nearly every song is timeless but I also kind of wonder how much of this is due to our generation presumably watching those movies millions of times on video.

The recent run of princess/musical films from Disney seems pretty comparable to their late 90s stuff on the whole. The heights are amazing, but if Beauty & the Beast is a 10, I'd put Moana at like an 8. I think of it the same way I think of films like Mulan or Tarzan - not at the level of the Menken/Ashman era, but still pretty damn good in its own right.

I'm glad you softened after revisiting the film, although I still really like You're Welcome. Shiny I will say I'm pretty neutral towards.

Chewy Spaghetti

Neo Member
Not bad, I didn't really feel it emotionally though. And I felt it maybe borrowed a little too many ideas from other movies.

- Watching Moana grow up during a song is just like Simba in Lion King.
- The Crab who likes shiny golden things is like Smaug from The Hobbit.
- Mantra Ray Tala visual was just like the whale in Life of Pi.
- The island being a woman was also borrowed from Life of Pi.

I think just about every Disney movie/musical (hell musicals in general) has 2-3 standout numbers among several more decent but not super memorable songs.

The Little Mermaid wants to have a word with you. Literally every single song in that movie is a classic.

Part of Your World.
Under the Sea.
Poor Unfortunate Souls.
Kiss the Girl.

PERFECTION!

It's funny, while I was watching the film I was more engrossed in the serious/yearning songs, and during the comedic songs, it was like, yeah this is an all right side dish but let's get back to the main course. But since leaving the theater it's "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" that my kids and I keep finding ourselves humming and/or belting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom