• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moana |OT| - "If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess"

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the stakes were too high.
by making the conflict center around the end of the world, you remove moana's desires from the conversation. the heart of the story, initially, is her desire to sail and explore, versus her duty to her people. her defeating te ka does nothing to resolve this except that saving the world makes it easier for her dad to see her point of view. i don't think moana is a non-flawed character - i just don't think she gets any character development or meaningful resolution to her conflict.
Yeah, I can certainly see it that way. Either way it's a less personal journey. Her dad
just kind of being cool with everything after she saves the world
seems a bit like they lost track of what was set up in the first act.

I guess ultimately Moana's backstory feels too peripheral to the rest of the movie? For other Disney protagonists it seems more definitive of their characters (e.g. Aladdin is poor, this guides most of his actions. Everything Moana needs to succeed she learns from Maui, just with a push from her grandmother)

Malyse

I've had the soundtrack on repeat since last night when I got home.

Help.
tumblr_ll0ao2d1PT1qisjx5.gif

No.

Toothless

Moana is another quality entry in Disney Animation's recent revival. Not to anyone's surprise, the sheer excellence of the animation continues to be improved on, and Moana is the most gorgeous CGI Disney film yet. The stunning vistas compliment some really fascinating hair. The best aspect is the character of the Ocean, which is always a beauty to just try to follow.

As for the film itself, it's good. Both Moana and Maui are fun characters to follow, although have major parts of their arcs skimmed over. Cravalho is a find, really owning the film despite Johnson almost stealing it on several occasions. Heihei is an animal sidekick who works in how silly he is, and the Ocean, as already mentioned, is just incredible. The story is fairly simple, as Disney musicals typically are, and that's fine because it allows the audience to go along with the ride. Some of the dialogue might make you cringe, but outside of one really awful Twitter joke, it's excusable in the same sense of the 90s vernacular from the Renaissance.

But for Disney musicals, the music is just as important as the film quality itself, and with Moana, it's a mixed bag. "You're Welcome" and "How Far I'll Go" are by far the best songs in it, which makes their frequent reprises welcome (no pun intended). Others, such as "Where You Are" or "Shiny," are ambitious but kind of fall apart. That said, the music is a marked improvement from Frozen, which has maybe two really great songs in it, surrounded by forgettable music. For all the failures of the two previously mentioned, they're at least memorable.

It might sound like I'm being harsh on the film, but I'm not trying to be. As already stated, the animation is absolutely stunning and the music is catchy in the best sense. Moana is a joy to watch, sure to make you smile multiple times throughout viewing it. Another Disney musical that will be enjoyed by generations to come.

Garlador

Moana is one of the more straight-forward Disney films they've done recently, but I really enjoyed it.

Not all of the music was winners, but there were several standouts and the soundtrack is now on loop as I work. "Where I'll Go" and the reprise gave me shivers, while Dwayne Johnson singing "You're Welcome" is a joy. Love "We Know the Way" too. It's all but guaranteed to get an Oscar nomination for best song... but I have no idea which one they'll pick.

The visuals were jaw-dropping and gorgeous throughout. The humor was a bit less gut-busting but still enjoyable in a less obvious way. The pacing was a bit weird at times, and I was a bit shocked just how much the movie takes place on the ocean and just the ocean and not the tropical islands. I felt like the "monster world" was a bit rushed, but it still does nothing to detract from the rest of the film.

While it won't dethrone Frozen in my mind for subverting and trampling certain formulas and tropes, I was very pleased with three of the major twists and changes to the Disney "formula".
1. No Love interest
2. Moana saves the day, not Maui
3. The reveal that Te Kā is truly Te Fiti

Easily recommended, and there's no question Disney Animation is in the midst of a truly glorious new golden age.

Moana is one of the more straight-forward Disney films they've done recently, but I really enjoyed it.

Not all of the music was winners, but there were several standouts and the soundtrack is now on loop as I work. "Where I'll Go" and the reprise gave me shivers, while Dwayne Johnson singing "You're Welcome" is a joy. Love "We Know the Way" too. It's all but guaranteed to get an Oscar nomination for best song... but I have no idea which one they'll pick.

The visuals were jaw-dropping and gorgeous throughout. The humor was a bit less gut-busting but still enjoyable in a less obvious way. The pacing was a bit weird at times, and I was a bit shocked just how much the movie takes place on the ocean and just the ocean and not the tropical islands. I felt like the "monster world" was a bit rushed, but it still does nothing to detract from the rest of the film.

While it won't dethrone Frozen in my mind for subverting and trampling certain formulas and tropes, I was very pleased with three of the major twists and changes to the Disney "formula".

Easily recommended, and there's no question Disney Animation is in the midst of a truly glorious new golden age.

Yes it's a straightforward Disney film but I like it for that reason though I know some people weren't really thrilled about it.

Garlador

Citing no love interest as strength somewhat irritates me. It isn't bold, it is just inoffensive.

Not having a love interest for a DIsney film is huge, largely because Moana is the FIRST DISNEY PRINCESS (excluding Elsa, who is technically a queen) in their entire 78 year animation history to not have a love interest or have their character pressured into romance (I kinda, sorta don't count Merida, as she's a Pixar girl, not a Disney Animation creation, but even her story is about her rejecting suitors).

While that may not be big outside of Disney, by eschewing a love interest, the film liberates its heroine to dedicate her whole being and all her efforts towards saving her people and being awesome with no distractions of romance. When every "princess" story ends with the "happily ever after" of riding off into the sunset with her prince charming, Moana instead takes the reins herself and sets sail with her own volition. She's not incomplete without a man in her life; she's a self-realized, ambitious, heroic leader of her entire people and forging her own path through the world.

Her not having a love interest is both not a big deal and also a huge deal. It's all in their execution, and I think it IS the film's strength to resist the easy, predictable, and financially viable formula of "girls need true love to be happy" and instead to give girls everywhere a stronger message of "be who you are and impact others across the globe".

Malyse

Not having a love interest for a DIsney film is huge, largely because Moana is the FIRST DISNEY PRINCESS (excluding Elsa, who is technically a queen) in their entire 78 year animation history to not have a love interest or have their character pressured into romance (I kinda, sorta don't count Merida, as she's a Pixar girl, not a Disney Animation creation, but even her story is about her rejecting suitors).

While that may not be big outside of Disney, by eschewing a love interest, the film liberates its heroine to dedicate her whole being and all her efforts towards saving her people and being awesome with no distractions of romance. When every "princess" story ends with the "happily ever after" of riding off into the sunset with her prince charming, Moana instead takes the reins herself and sets sail with her own volition. She's not incomplete without a man in her life; she's a self-realized, ambitious, heroic leader of her entire people and forging her own path through the world.

Her not having a love interest is both not a big deal and also a huge deal. It's all in their execution, and I think it IS the film's strength to resist the easy, predictable, and financially viable formula of "girls need true love to be happy" and instead to give girls everywhere a stronger message of "be who you are and impact others across the globe".

In a shocking swerve, Elsa and Anna are officially not Disney Princesses.

Malyse

Being forced to have a relationship is not the same as actually having a love interest.

People are finding excuses to be offended now.
She has a love interest; it's just one sided. She was going to have a romance ending but they cut it. Moana has no romance at all.

I'm sticking to my "Moana is asexual" headcanon.

what do you think, guys

I think it's an overreaction/trying to find something wrong, and even ignorant.

Moana not having a love interest is a way to get way from the princess tropes Disney has been guilty of over the years. a Female doesn't need to have a love interest to have her story justified and I think Disney is trying to implicate that.

mrkgoo

So what happened to Taiki Waititi's involvement? Doesn't seems like he's mentioned much any more.

Did he get his name off the screenplay for a reason? Or did he simply not do enough or not enough of his work remained?

Malyse

So what happened to Taiki Waititi's involvement? Doesn't seems like he's mentioned much any more.

Did he get his name off the screenplay for a reason? Or did he simply not do enough or not enough of his work remained?

They did a lot of rewriting.

----

Can we all just be thankful that More wasn't in the movie? Cause that would have destroyed people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upjbIJESEUU (spoilers in the comments, but you shouldn't be reading the comments anyway)

I really want a Moana extended cut.

Blizzard

Banned
in more shocking news, you forgot about her, the first to not have a love interest

r:360,540
Merida was already addressed. She's Pixar, not traditional Disney (I don't think Pixar is criticized as much for this sort of thing, and Pixar rarely even makes movies about princesses). Plus, as was also addressed, her story revolves around her being pressured into marriage.

An-Det

The movie was awful, barely any pig/10.

Seriously, it was fantastic. I hadn't listened to the soundtrack at all going in and was really impressed with pretty much all of it, and have caught myself humming along to a few of them over the last couple days. It's beautiful, well acted and performed, and fun to watch. The story beats are a bit predictable, but tough to knock it much when it's overall so good. I do wish I had checked this thread before going, I had no idea Disney movies have been doing post-credit scenes recently.

dlauv

Didn't Princess & the Frog have a romance subplot? Didn't these directors work on that?

I felt like Moana was trying to do away with the stereotype.

Malyse

Didn't Princess & the Frog have a romance subplot? Didn't these directors work on that?

I felt like Moana was trying to do away with the stereotype.

No, Princess and the Frog had a romance plot. There was nothing sub about it.

Beefy

Love this movie, the soundtrack is even better. The Alessia Cara version of How Far I'll Go is badly in my head

Kindekuma

Banned
Got out of the theaters a bit ago from this.

Holy cow. I walked in with no real set expectations, and I was blown away. The musical score is great, VA work was fantastic. Absolutely GORGEOUS film too.

FINALLY saw it!

EXTj0Vr.jpg

It was amazing!

- The first act seemed a little rushed and needed more time to breathe. Too much happened in such a short time.

- I knew it was coming, but
Grandma Tala's death was still really powerful and took me by surprise. "And when you find Maui, you grab him by the ear...." That's such a thing a Grandma would say! Then when her Mother saw Moana leaving and helped her pack.
So many feels! ;_;

-
Maui just re-appearing and not explaining why he came back to help Moana
was kinda weak.

- Visually, everything with Te Ka was insanely good looking. Like seriously, what a feast for the eyes! It was unreal!

- Moana
restoring the heart in slow motion as she was singing
was the best scene in the whole movie and quite simply one of the best scenes Disney has ever done! Absolutely MASTERFUL!

1. Frozen 10/10
2. Tangled 10/10
3. Moana 9.5/10

jonno394

Just got from watching this with my nieces. Other than knowing the general setting of the film and the fact The Rock was in it, I had no idea what to really expect from this, and I loved it, my nieces enjoyed it less though and were bored at times, but overall they said they liked it.

Moana is definitely one of my favorite Disney main characters now, the scene with her as a toddler was totally adorable. The actress knocked the character out of the park imo, great performance, and a really good voice especially in "How Far I'll Go" which is my favourite song of the film. Jermaine Clement turning up as
the giant crab
was awesome, love his singing voice and the song was extremely enjoyable, as was the set piece. Too many good songs in this film, especially anything which was sung in the Polynesian tongue. I don't think teh girls appreciated these as much as I did though!

Weakest part for my Nieces was the character of Maui. They never really delved in to why, but they both agreed they didn't like him. Admittedly his character was a bit of a dick, but at least it's touched upon why he does what he does, and he has good character development. His
returning to action towards the end of the film
was never really explained though. Loved "You're Welcome" though, very catchy. Didn't know Dwayne could sing!

For me, the weakest part of the film was
the coconut people
scene. Would have preferred another tribe of people trying to get in on the action, but I guess that would have confused matters too much.

Great film, and one I will definitely rewatch.

edit - damn "More (reprise)" is fantastic.

Just saw this last night.

5/5 stars.

The animation (hair, water especially) is simply incredible. The characters draw inspiration from previous Disney movies (Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Aladdin). The story is fairly standard coming of age, building self esteem kind of stuff, but hits all the right notes in the right places.

I consider it in the top 5 of Disney animation and ranks alongside Lion King from an original story perspective (given Pinocchio, Beauty and the Beast, etc. were taken from other source material).

For all the complaints I've heard that this movie doesn't have a traditional Disney villain, I gotta say, Te Ka's design is one of Disney's best.

The way she spazzed out and shrieked in anger at the end when
she saw Moana holding up the heart
was so badass!

Malyse

For all the complaints I've heard that this movie doesn't have a traditional Disney villain, I gotta say, Te Ka's design is one of Disney's best.

The way she spazzed out and shrieked in anger at the end when
she saw Moana holding up the heart
was so badass!

Let her come to me.

The Lamp

Seen this 3 times now...latest with my mom. People in my life keep wanting to see it with me lol.

The soundtrack has grown on me. It's great after a few listens and hooks.
At first listen I thought it's pretty mediocre and unmemorable...not enough catch in the lyrics or hooks to remain memorable on a first listen. Not like something from Aladdin or The Little Mermaid or Beauty & The Beast that is iconic by the time you get to the second verse or chorus.

But the second and third time I had to hear You're Welcome and There You Are and Shiny, my appreciation for the songs increased.

How Far I'll Go and all its rearrangements are stellar, though. That last arrangement of it is one of the best moments in Disney since the 90's.

I have even greater appreciation for the pacing. It's far more well-done than Frozen in that regard. No scene lasts too long IMO. The motivations for the plot getting started are super well-done and justified IMO. Some of Disney's best characters and motives yet.

Malyse

Seen this 3 times now...latest with my mom. People in my life keep wanting to see it with me lol.

The soundtrack has grown on me. It's great after a few listens and hooks.
At first listen I thought it's pretty mediocre and unmemorable...not enough catch in the lyrics or hooks to remain memorable on a first listen. Not like something from Aladdin or The Little Mermaid or Beauty & The Beast that is iconic by the time you get to the second verse or chorus.

But the second and third time I had to hear You're Welcome and There You Are and Shiny, my appreciation for the songs increased.

How Far I'll Go and all its rearrangements are stellar, though. That last arrangement of it is one of the best moments in Disney since the 90's.

I have even greater appreciation for the pacing. It's far more well-done than Frozen in that regard. No scene lasts too long IMO. The motivations for the plot getting started are super well-done and justified IMO. Some of Disney's best characters and motives yet.

I've said it before, but I think Moana is paced closest to a superheroes movie than anything else.

Saw it this afternoon. Really enjoyed it. With all the bright colors & water effects; I kept feeling like this is what a James Cameron directed Disney Animated film would've looked like. Fun movie all around.

This just did so much more for me than any other Disney princess movie.

Minor spoilers I guess:
I was totally on board with the sense of exploration and how being a sailor (wayfinder) was portrayed, totally bought into the setting.I thought her tribes history was really interesting and was good inspiration. No lame romance, Maui was great, the villain twist worked great for me. I just loved everything

All that along with a soundtrack (I've had is on repeat since seeing it on Tuesday) that is miles above any other recent Disney offering. And absolutely sublime animation, just a wholly enjoyable movie that I would recommend to anyone.

I'm not sure I put it above Zootopia (one of my favorite animated movies ever) but it's easily the top of my Disney princess movies list, which have never really been my kind of thing.

menacin

Banned
Really hated this movie. Everyone in the theater was practically falling asleep . Boring terrible movie.

Oh well

I am very suspicious of all of you . You are all fake ad bots that tricked me into seeing this movie .

Malyse

Really hated this movie. Everyone in the theater was practically falling asleep . Boring terrible movie.

Oh well

I am very suspicious of all of you . You are all fake ad bots that tricked me into seeing this movie .
Is this like in gaming when that one guy posts how X game is better than Smash 4?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really enjoyed this. It started losing me in the 3rd act but then immediately won me back with the resolution to the conflict. Songs were great, they all grew on me. Each reprise felt like a welcome treat. Was humming some of the songs as I left the theater yesterday and they're still stuck in my head today.

Maui leaving and then coming back during the final fight was just a bit too much for me. That was really the only thing that killed the pacing for me. I understand why it was done, Moana needed a moment of quiet reflection, to meet her grandmother again, and gain confidence to continue her mission. But Maui being unsure about his powers once he got the hook, then getting a montage where he gains confidence, then lose confidence again, then come back is just tiring. Especially when this all occurs in the last little part of the movie.

Everything being resolved by more than just a fight was refreshing. I mean, we did sorta get a fight but ultimately there was more to it. And even though it was a "save the world" plot, there wasn't a villain that loomed across the entire film. We knew about the obstacles but all of the antagonists in the film show up for a few minutes and then we move on. I liked that, gave them more time to focus on the journey and Moana and Maui's character growth. Maybe a little too much in the back half when it spun its wheels..but I'll take that over underdeveloped characters.

I really have nothing negative to say about Disney's animated efforts. Two projects that I was VERY skeptical about turned out to be among my favorite films of the year. I thought this and Zootopia were going to be boilerplate efforts, and they are in some regards, but they absolutely have enough soul and great messages to make them just a bit more special.

Realeza

Banned

Oh well

That says more about you than the quality of the movie. To "hate" it? Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom