• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm @ E3 Playable!!!

Udde

SolidSnakex said:
This is why it wasn't at their conference

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/707/707911p1.html

Ok, that's a pretty good reason ;) but I'm sure two days before the show a showable build was there too...

Anyway, I have seen another great crash in the video that nobody has '.gif-ed' yet :p After a jump, a bike sinks it's front wheel in the sand. It looked awesome. 02:43 in the playfrance video.

VNZ

It does look like it could turn out fun. A lot of fun actually.. I must say I've been longing for a slower paced racing game (maybe not this slow though), it can make the "fighting" so much more intense.

SKIDMARKS 2006! :)

skid04.JPG

Raistlin

Wow ... after watching the new videos, I'm DAMN IMPRESSED. The game really is a lot closer to last year's CG than I ever thought it would be.

Obviously there are compromises, but the overall look is preserved. Basically, last year's video almost looks like a replay mode of this - where some extra post-processing effects coupled with dramatic camera views makes the difference.

It will be interesting to see how this title shapes up. If they can add/improve some of the effects that do not match last years video, this thing will look pretty ridicuous for a launch title.

Physics FTW!!

oldboy1

Banned
This footage is great, why didn't Sony use this during their conference.

The only problem I have is we'll have to play this WITHOUT the pad rumbling. (can you just imagine what it would feel like over that muddy/rocky path)

Jim

oldboy1 said:

The only problem I have is we'll have to play this WITHOUT the pad rumbling. (can you just imagine what it would feel like over that muddy/rocky path)

I'm still hoping for force feedback support for the Logitech Driving Force Pro. That would be perfect for Motorstorm. Since it's a USB device, I can't see why it couldn't work on the PS3 if they decided to code for it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
oldboy1 said:

Given that this build didn't even reach E3 until a day or two after the conference, I'm guessing it's the lack of time machine that led to it being omitted from the conference. Could be wrong, though.

As for playing without pad rumbling, it would be utterly insane (in a good way) if this game supported force feedback steering wheels...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
acousticvan said:
Wow, though I have 1 question for you guys. You drive in a wet land circuit, How can you expect to have more particles? It is wet, you cannot get particles.
Overrall, looks good but more works to be done.

There was dry and wet road surfaces on the track.

Jim said:
I'm still hoping for force feedback support for the Logitech Driving Force Pro. That would be perfect for Motorstorm. Since it's a USB device, I can't see why it couldn't work on the PS3 if they decided to code for it.

With the gates being lifted on the PS3 and devs able to talk about their games this needs to be one of the first questions asked to Evolution. These guys are big car fans so i'm thinking it will support it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
acousticvan said:
Wow, though I have 1 question for you guys. You drive in a wet land circuit, How can you expect to have more particles? It is wet, you cannot get particles.
Have you ever driven in the mud? You can get particles and lots of them.

SolidSnakex said:
With the gates being lifted on the PS3 and devs able to talk about their games this needs to be one of the first questions asked to Evolution. These guys are big car fans so i'm thinking it will support it.

Their PS2 rally games don't feature any Force Feedback effects :(

I hope MotorStorm does, and I hope Evolution support that new Logitech wheel.
drool0yv.gif

mashoutposse

Ante Up
BlueTsunami said:
Exactly what Sony should have done. Everything during and after that GTHD demo went to a screetching halt. It let out a whine from the slowing gears that I cringed an uncomfortable cringe.

:lol

At least Hirai thought it was great!

Looks great. I love how different routes on the course vary in surface terrain and plays to each class' strengths and weaknesses. Should add a nice layer of tactic to the racing. Think it needs a little more speed though (or more accurately a COCKPIT VIEW, Evolution), and more atmospheric particles and fx. I want a huge volumetric cloud of dust pouring from the rear or mud splattering everywhere.

Jim

oldboy1 said:
Would you mind if I posted these elsewhere. (on another forum)

If you'd like to rehost them somewhere else, sure :)

I converted the clip to an AVI and then imported into ImageReady, and exported as a GIF.

Tr4nce

I have seen the first video, but holy shit, the Play France video looks very nice!

Is this the first game that contains truly 360 degrees circular wheels???????

oldboy1

Banned
Jim said:
If you'd like to rehost them somewhere else, sure :)

I converted the clip to an AVI and then imported into ImageReady, and exported as a GIF.

Thanks Jim. (I used Putfile to rehost them):)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just saw a 5 minute on-floor interview at Gamespot Live with the game playing in the background. Lots of cool details shared, including some about multiplayer. They are shooting for 16 players at minimum, maybe up to the full 20 that we see in single player. Full host options, including limiting vehicle types to certain tracks. For a challenge, he encourages someone to try to use a bike against 17 semis. :lol

The action on screen was a lot crazier than I've seen in other vids. ATVs and bikes were crashing all over the place, throwing the riders hundreds of feet. One buggy seemed to scale up a huge cliff face that I was sure was "off the map", but he then came tumbling back down onto the track. If you hit a ramp with a single tire, you'll spin like a top. Reminded me of the crash arenas from the old Rush arcade games.

Also, he talked of the "dynamically changing tracks". We've all heard of the mud leading to increasingly slippery turns forcing you to take them wider and wider with each new lap. But he also mentioned the ability to damage ramps that ATVs and bikes may use as a shortcut advantage so that they have to change their strategy on the next lap.

This title looks insanely fun, and there's still 5 months of dev time left.

Kittonwy

Banned
Goreomedy said:
Just saw a 5 minute on-floor interview at Gamespot Live with the game playing in the background. Lots of cool details shared, including some about multiplayer. They are shooting for 16 players at minimum, maybe up to the full 20 that we see in single player. Full host options, including limiting vehicle types to certain tracks. For a challenge, he encourages someone to try to use a bike against 17 semis. :lol

The action on screen was a lot crazier than I've seen in other vids. ATVs and bikes were crashing all over the place, throwing the riders hundreds of feet. One buggy seemed to scale up a huge cliff face that I was sure was "off the map", but he then came tumbling back down onto the track. If you hit a ramp with a single tire, you'll spin like a top. Reminded me of the crash arenas from the old Rush arcade games.

Also, he talked of the "dynamically changing tracks". We've all heard of the mud leading to increasingly slippery turns forcing you to take them wider and wider with each new lap. But he also mentioned the ability to damage ramps that ATVs and bikes may use as a shortcut advantage so that they have to change their strategy on the next lap.

This title looks insanely fun, and there's still 5 months of dev time left.

That sounds WOWSOME!!! @_@

Mau ®

That loos awesome. Closer to the CG than I thought it would be...

I don't like these games but those physics are insane!!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Does anyone know what timeslot the Gamespot Live interview is in?

There's another video interview here, apparently btw:

http://e3.bashsoftware.net/motorstorm.wmv

edit - ^^ Just watched that, it's a very good vid, good quality. At one point a bike gets stuck behind the buggy, and flips back behind you, which was quite funny. Developer mentions that they plan to use the motion sensitivity, I think he said for punching and kicking when you're on a bike, for example. So if you tilt hard left or right your rider will punch or kick an opponent to the left or right, which actually seems like a pretty cool use, a very tactile expression of that :) Visual quality will also go up.

Kittonwy

Banned
gofreak said:
Does anyone know what timeslot the Gamespot Live interview is in?

There's another video interview here, apparently btw:

http://e3.bashsoftware.net/motorstorm.wmv

edit - ^^ Just watched that, it's a very good vid, good quality. At one point a bike gets stuck behind the buggy, and flips back behind you, which was quite funny. Developer mentions that they plan to use the motion sensitivity, I think he said for punching and kicking when you're on a bike, for example. So if you tilt hard left or right your rider will punch or kick an opponent to the left or right, which actually seems like a pretty cool use, a very tactile expression of that :) Visual quality will also go up.

This one is pretty good, I think it's going to be fun. ~_~

This game looks fucking excellent. I'm surprised how close it seems they got to the CG video shown at last year's E3. A lot of the difference still seems to boil down to the track design and t he fact that that the levels seem more open now and less prone to having as many collissions as often as I expected. Still, it looks pretty ace.

I just hope they do something about all those sparks. Jesus, it's like a 4th of July parade in the desert.

OatmealMu

mashoutposse said:
Gore: Which Gamespot Live segment was that in?

It's the 11am one. Segment starts around 38 minutes into the video, immediately after the Mech Assault DS game.

Fantastic 2xII
Neverwinter Nights 2, Battle for Middle-earth II, Zelda DS, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance!

Jim

That last video was damn impressive... Someone has to get direct feed soon.

Oh, and a bit of a typo here? :lol
congrats_motorstorm.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The more videos I see of this game the more impressed I am... how many tracks is this suppose to have again? I remember they said this is one of the shortest ones...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DarienA said:
The more videos I see of this game the more impressed I am... how many tracks is this suppose to have again? I remember they said this is one of the shortest ones...

12 tracks, plus you'll be able to download more (for a fee, I'm sure).

gofreak said:
12 tracks, plus you'll be able to download more (for a fee, I'm sure).

I'd usually complain with only 12 tracks being in a racing game (yah GT spoiled me bad) but with this it seems like it'd work. Mostly because unlike 99% of other racing games, every race in this will be different because of how much physics play a role in the game and all the different sections to the track.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'd usually complain with only 12 tracks being in a racing game (yah GT spoiled me bad) but with this it seems like it'd work. Mostly because unlike 99% of other racing games, every race in this will be different because of how much physics play a role in the game and all the different sections to the track.

I'm looking forward to having fun knocking ramps out for people. ~_~

Tiger

Banned
kaching said:
#1, It was a target render, not a promise
#2, If you want to hold them accountable for matching the 2005 render, have the decency to wait until they present final software
Sony was claiming again and again that those were "real time" game videos. They were not calling them "target renders" at E3 2005. I remember that clearly because I hoped to God it was true. Now I realize it's not, and that means that their claims last year were bullshit.

Part of my anger about their lying, is that I had my hopes up for this game. Being a racing freak, this game stoked every fire in my driving game fetish. In a way, the Motostorm E3 video from 2005 was everything I could imagine in an off road racing game, before my eyes in motion. I ate that shit up. However, I also had a heavy feeling of skepticism that it was "real time".

So, now we know it wasn't real back then, but that doesn't mean I think the game looks bad now. It just doesn't meet that video from last year. I still have high hopes for the game, and I think it looks like it's on track to be very good.

Was DarienA attempting to suggest i'm an Xbot? *que rolleyes*

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Systems_id said:
Is it me or is this game appear to be a bit sluggish?

The buggy definitely doesn't seem the fastest of vehicles ;) It depends what terrain you're on. I guess that's why the nitro is there, also. If you want fast, the bike would be a better bet, but maybe they'll tweak speed generally. It seems to be such an action-focussed game, though, not speed-racing as such..

gofreak said:
The buggy definitely doesn't seem the fastest of vehicles ;) It depends what terrain you're on. I guess that's why the nitro is there, also. If you want fast, the bike would be a better bet, but maybe they'll tweak speed generally. It seems to be such an action-focussed game, though, not speed-racing as such..
I dunno. The game didn't feel as "hectic" as I thought it would be for some reason.

squicken

Those videos are certainly eye-opening. Sony was very wise not to show the game at the conference. The thing that bugs me about the game is what bugs me about the current 360 racers. There are these super high-poly high-textured cars racing on noticably lower detailed tracks. The contrast is quite jolting.

Top Bottom