• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest 2011 |OT| AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pg2_a_hotdogs_576.jpg

The Nathan's Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest is an annual contest sponsored by Nathan's Famous held on Coney Island, N.Y. Competitors have 10 minutes to eat as many hot dogs as possible. The competition was held for the first time in 1916 and has been held annually (with two exceptions) since then. The event draws as many as 40,000 spectators to the Nathan's Famous restaurant and has been broadcast on ESPN since 2004. In 2011, there will be a separate women's competition for the first time. It will take place prior to the main competition.

Joey Chestnut is the defending and four-time champion. He holds the world record for eating 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes, which he managed in 2009.

The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest is decided between 20 contestants who compete to see who can eat the most hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes. Contestants must be members of the International Federation of Competitive Eating and must be 18 or older.

Each year, the defending champion is invited to compete, and the other contestants are chosen with regional qualifying competitions. Two wild-card contestants are invited, based on the highest qualifying score without winning. The IFOCE also can issue special invitations for contestants. The qualifying contests have been held since 1993, becoming international in 1997.

At the event, the contestants stand on a platform behind a table. They are given plates of hot dogs, as well as the drinks of their choices (most use water). Condiments are allowed but rarely used, and hot dogs are cooled slightly so they don't burn contestants' mouths.

Contestants have 10 minutes to eat as many hot dogs and buns as possible. Until 2008, the contest had been 12 minutes long for decades, but Nathan's learned that the original contest likely was 10 minutes.

When time is called, contestants may swallow any hot dogs still in their mouths and count that number. A hot dog can be partially eaten and is measured in eighths. Judges will decide if there is an excessive amount of buns or hot dogs left on the plate and can deduct a contestant's score.

After the winner is determined, organizers bring out a plate with the number of eaten hot dogs for photos with the winner. The winners received cash for the first time in 2007, $20,650 doled out to the top eight finishers. First place earned $10,000.

t1309795200z1.png

Airing on ESPN 12 PM EST/9 AM PST

YEAR-BY-YEAR WINNERS SINCE 1980
2010 Joey Chestnut 54
2009 Joey Chestnut 68
2008 Joey Chestnut 59*
2007 Joey Chestnut 66
2006 Takeru Kobayashi 54
2005 Takeru Kobayashi 49
2004 Takeru Kobayashi 53½
2003 Takeru Kobayashi 44½
2002 Takeru Kobayashi 50½
2001 Takeru Kobayashi 50
2000 Kazutoyo Arai 25
1999 Steve Keiner 20¼
1998 Hirofumi Nakajima 19
1997 Hirofumi Nakajima 24½
1996 Ed Krachie 22¼
1995 Ed Krachie 19½
1994 Mike Devito 20
1993 Mike Devito 17
1992 Frank Dellarosa 19
1991 Frank Dellarosa 21½
1990 Mike Devito 16
1989 Jay Green 13
1988 Jay Green 14
1987 Don Wolfman 12
1986 Mark Heller 15½
1985 Oscar Rodriguez 11¾
1984 Birgit Felden 9½
1983 Luis Llamas 19½
1982 Steven Abrams 11
1981 Thomas DeBerry 11
1980 Paul Siederman
Joe Baldini 9+
*Won a five-dog eat-off

i went to nathan's last year and ate five hot dogs just because i was hungry. i had no idea that was half the world record 30 years ago!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This contest is dead to me after I learned what they did to Kobayashi! Definitely not cool.

Also, free bjork!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lord Error said:
This contest is dead to me after I learned what they did to Kobayashi! Definitely not cool.

I read about that. Having an argument, then removing his name for their winners list wall. That's just crap.

X-Frame

It's crazy how Chestnut has eaten 7x that of the competitors from the 80's. WTF is it going to be like in another 10 years? 100 hot dogs?

Lord Error said:

Also, free bjork!

?? What happened?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
X-Frame said:
?? What happened?
I believe it goes something like this: They first forbade him from competing in some other eating competition, then when he showed up at their competition in a t-shirt saying "Free Koby" and the crowd started cheering him, they had him arrested for disrupting the event. He went to trial where judge dismissed charges against him. Then they deleted all his winnings from the official competition entries and the wall plaque.

Prologue

RevDM said:
I just ate 2 hotdogs and although I could eat more, the nutrition facts stop me from doing so.

Especially the french fries. Aren't there medium french fries like 600 calories? thats more than mcdonalds large lol.

goober

Free Kobayashi!

Isn't he competing like seven miles away, and but they're showing it live on a huge big screen?

ajim

Lord Error said:
I believe it goes something like this: They first forbade him from competing in some other eating competition, then when he showed up at their competition in a t-shirt saying "Free Koby" and the crowd started cheering him, they had him arrested for disrupting the event. Then they deleted all his winnings from the official competition entries and the wall plaque.
That is absolute bullshit.

Lord Error said:
I believe it goes something like this: They first forbade him from competing in some other eating competition, then when he showed up at their competition in a t-shirt saying "Free Koby" and the crowd started cheering him, they had him arrested for disrupting the event. He went to trial where judge dismissed charges against him. Then they deleted all his winnings from the official competition entries and the wall plaque.

Serious.....

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeru_Kobayashi#Independence_Day_2010_arrest

On June 28, 2010, Kobayashi announced he would not compete in the Nathan's Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Competition reportedly due to a labor impasse with Major League Eating over the ability to compete in contests not sanctioned by MLE.

On July 4, 2010, Kobayashi was in attendance at the Nathan's International Hot Dog Eating Contest, watching from the crowd. Wearing a black T-shirt that read "Free Kobi", Kobayashi mingled with the crowd, standing inside a police-barricaded pen just under the stage. After the competition ended, he slipped up the stage stairs and crashed the stage. Although he was initially ushered by security officers up to the stage, one security officer (thought to have been requested by George Shea), quickly ushered him offstage as he resisted vehemently, hanging on to the barricades and fences before being taken into custody. Though some witnesses reported that Kobayashi was attempting to congratulate the winner, Joey Chestnut, co-host and Major League Eating President Richard Shea, stated that "[Kobayashi] tried to jump on stage during the awards ceremony to disrupt it." With the crowd chanting, "Free Kobi!" and "Let him eat! Let him eat!”, police handcuffed him. He was charged with resisting arrest, trespassing and obstructing governmental administration and spent the rest of the 4th of July in jail awaiting an appearance in Brooklyn Criminal Court.

Kobayashi's interpreter and publicist, Maggie James said he had originally gone in hopes to cheer on his fellow competitive eaters, but after arriving and the chanting from the fans, he was swooped onto the stage from mere excitement. She said "There's a contract dispute, they weren't giving him his freedom, it was unfair"

Kobayashi told reporters he had a sandwich and a glass of milk while being held. "I am very hungry," he said. "I wish there were hot dogs in jail."

On August 5, 2010 all charges against Kobayashi were dismissed by a judge in Brooklyn. Nathans removed Kobayashi's name from their record sign in 2011.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Adamm said:
Wow Kobayashi relaly raised the bar!
He made this competition famous like it is today. Maybe too strong of a word, but still, it was completely obscure and not known to anyone before he joined really. That makes the way they treated him with this 'incident' all the worse.

Zaptruder

Banned
Lord Error said:
He made this competition famous like it is today. Maybe too strong of a word, but still, it was completely obscure and not known to anyone before he joined really. That makes the way they treated him with this 'incident' all the worse.

Seriously. Such short sighted ignorant plebs running that comp.

Joey Chestnut v Takeru Kobayashi @ nathans is the crowning story of the eating competition calendar.

Who gives a shit about Joey destroying a bunch of unworthy plebs, or upping his hotdog count by a bit every year or two?

Then it just becomes like pre kobayashi nathans. You're never going to see another doubling of the hot dogs eaten like when Takeru came in. And you're very unlikely to see another worthy rivalry/challenger like has been with Chestnut and Kobayashi.

RevDM

Banned
I just wanted to tell everyone I found the best hotdogs you can buy at the supermarket:

franks-angus-bunsize.jpg

Pros:
Angus Beef (no mechanically separated meats)
Short ingredients list, all common stuff (corn syrup, some spices, etc)

Cons:
Sodium (most hotdogs)
1g TransFat

Sanjuro

RevDM said:
I just wanted to tell everyone I found the best hotdogs you can buy at the supermarket:

franks-angus-bunsize.jpg

Pros:

Cons:
Sodium (most hotdogs)
1g TransFat
Kayem hot dogs are vastly superior to this garbage

RevDM

Banned
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Kayem hot dogs are vastly superior to this garbage

Just give it a shot, I think you will be impressed. I used to buy Hebrew National, but I just can't get over the fact that they only put 7 hotdogs in a pack. WTF is that shit all about?

These are hands down better than HN, but I haven't tried Kayem before.

RevDM said:

[IG]http://www.ballparkfranks.com/public/img/headers/franks-angus-bunsize.jpg[/IMG]

Pros:

Cons:
Sodium (most hotdogs)
1g TransFat
Keep your corn syrup out of my meat

Sanjuro

RevDM said:
Just give it a shot, I think you will be impressed. I used to buy Hebrew National, but I just can't get over the fact that they only put 7 hotdogs in a pack. WTF is that shit all about?

These are hands down better than HN, but I haven't tried Kayem before.
I've had them before. I like trying new things. They were okay the first time I had them, but having more than one just grossed me out.

Kayem is the best bang for the buck. Most hot dog shops use them around here.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Whoa, already leaping into the women's competition. Didn't even get like, cool intros.

Edit: What, the women's comp wasn't even live?! Sexist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom