• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest 2011 |OT| AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
elrechazao said:
Why? they're on video eating....do you think he's stuffing them in his pockets?

No, but it's not like we can objectively see each one and when it is counted. The judging is subjective and prone to human error. It'd be super easy to add in one extra every two minutes or not count one from another guy in that same time, even if unintentional.

goober

PotatoeMasher said:
No, but it's not like we can objectively see each one and when it is counted. The judging is subjective and prone to human error. It'd be super easy to add in one extra every two minutes or not count one from another guy in that same time, even if unintentional.
True. There was a short clip prior to the event of a competitive eater showing eating techniques.

One of the techniques was throwing hot dogs over your shoulder, making them 'disappear.' therefore two hot dogs added to your total.

woolley

Why doesn't it count because Kobi isn't there? Chestnut already beat him like 2-3 times already, it's nobodies fault but Kobi's that he isn't there.

Nori Chan

I saw the mini competition on First Take on espn2 and between 10 people, they couldn't eat 68 hot dogs.

It was pretty nasty to see man.

It's obviously not a fair fight. The Fourth of July is all about small Japanese dudes winning hot dog eating contests, damnit. This exclusivity business is all BS. It's anti-competitive and anti-American.

woolley said:
Why doesn't it count because Kobi isn't there? Chestnut already beat him like 2-3 times already, it's nobodies fault but Kobi's that he isn't there.

Like he really cares. He's still the most popular person doing this which is why he doesn't want to sign contracts. He gets paid a lot to attend different events. Nathan's Famous is really the only losers here as they have no one that can really compete with Chestnut at this event.

goober said:
True. There was a short clip prior to the event of a competitive eater showing eating techniques.

One of the techniques was throwing hot dogs over your shoulder, making them 'disappear.' therefore two hot dogs added to your total.
Can't tell if this is a joke post or not, but if not...really? This is a televised event with thousands of people spectating, being recorded on video, being judged, and it's the marquee event of the major league eating circuit. Even if they wanted to cheat it's impossible.

goober

elrechazao said:
Can't tell if this is a joke post or not, but if not...really? This is a televised event with thousands of people spectating, being recorded on video, being judged, and it's the marquee event of the major league eating circuit. Even if they wanted to cheat it's impossible.
Serious post. They're replaying the event on espn2 so you might be able to catch it!

Edit: they just showed it again its called "Juliet"ing

Bradlums

goober said:
Serious post. They're replaying the event on espn2 so you might be able to catch it!

Edit: they just showed it again its called "Juliet"ing
It's not like they could get away with that during the actual contest

Bradlums said:
It's not like they could get away with that during the actual contest

What I mentioned was that a judge could miscount (either purposely or by accident) or there could be varying standards between judges for what counts as a point. They don't seem to take themselves all that seriously (see the xenophobic comments made by the guy from major league eating) and there's no mention of unofficial results or anything that can later be confirmed in cases where things are close.

Is each competitor filmed separately in a single long shot? If not, the fact that its filmed at all doesn't really matter.

lol at the woman's champion interview. I don't know what's so funny about being so happy at this accomplishment but it's hilarious.

CriginsMcJuggs said:
Well there was a bottle in front of him and the color looked like pepto bismal

It was actually fruit punch, from my understanding. A very intimidating tactic; it looked like blood was dripping from his mouth.

Dresden

JJDinomite said:
It was actually fruit punch, from my understanding. A very intimidating tactic; it looked like blood was dripping from his mouth.
This cracks me up. Eating is pretty cutthroat game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WSJ Blog said:
But wait - in Manhattan, Kobayashi has eaten 69 hot dogs in ten minutes, tying the world record. Strike that - BREAKING the world record.
*sunglasses on* Justice is served.

woolley said:
It's not that it doesn't count, it's that it's lame and not fun when the two best competitors are not there to face off each other. I wouldn't say that it's nobody's fault but his, with how they treated the guy.

npm0925

The best hot dogs are Bobak's Veal Frankfurters, BTW. I think they are only available in the Chicagoland area, though.

2yljjhf.jpg

npm0925

How are these guys able to pack in all of these hot dogs? I've read that there is a sort of disconnect between their stomachs and their brains, so that they do not get the sensation of being satiated. Do they vomit after the contest? If not, how many Courics is their bowel movement the following day? Is there any type of medical study on one of these guys?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/04/new.york.hot.dog.contest/
New York (CNN) -- Competitive eater Joey "Jaws" Chestnut proved himself the official top dog of the hot dog-eating world when he ate 62 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes at the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest on Monday, but his archnemesis Takeru Kobayashi crushed Chestnut's world record at an off-site event where he pounded down 69 hot dogs and buns.

For the fifth year in a row, Chestnut beat the 17-man field at the 96th annual Major League Eating event at Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York.

Kobayashi, who has been banned from the contest due to a contract dispute with Major League Eating, competed from afar: on the roof of a Manhattan bar, in unison with Chestnut and his fellow competitors.

Kobayashi polished off 69 hot dogs and buns to the tune of a crowd chanting "Kobi! Kobi!" and the official Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest playing on a television beside him. He beat Chestnut's 2009 world record of 68 hot dogs and buns.

But Chestnut brushed off the feat since Kobayashi was miles away from the cheering crowds in Brooklyn.

"It wasn't a competition," he said.

"It was no different than what I do at practice on my own and I'm able to break a record at my house," Chestnut added.

Event organizers agree, arguing that the record is not official if it's not broken at Coney Island.

"I don't know if it was a magic show or an eating contest," said Richard Shea, president of Major League Eating. "Not having been there, it seems like a bit of a farce. The hot dog eating contest is on Coney Island."

Major League Eating will not recognize Kobayashi's 69 hot dogs as a new world record, Shea said.

Kobayashi, who gained 18 pounds during the contest, said his makeshift competition was to remind the world "that I'm still good, that I'm still in the contest," he said through an interpreter.

"During practice, I had already broken the record, so I had enough confidence that I could beat that," he added.

Kobayashi took home six consecutive Nathan's contest titles from 2001 to 2006. Last year, he was arrested after rushing the stage at the Coney Island event.

But Chestnut remains the official champion, and he will share his official title with Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas, who devoured 40 hot dogs and buns to beat eight other eaters in the first women's Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.

Thomas missed her own personal record by just one hot dog.

Event organizers split the contest into female and male competitions this year to give the ever-expanding female field of competitors a chance at the big prize.

Both Chestnut and Thomas were awarded $10,000. Chestnut took home the contest's signature Mustard belt -- a yellow championship belt -- while Thomas was the first recipient of a pink belt, meant to promote event sponsor Pepto Bismol.

ajim

kobayashi is a fucking GOD. 69 fucking hot dogs.

"It was no different than what I do at practice on my own and I'm able to break a record at my house," Chestnut added.
lol SURE joey.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
ajim said:
lol SURE joey.
benzy said:
It sucks that Kobayashi wasn't at the event and the organizers are idiots for not doing everything they could to get him there so Chestnut could have some actual competition. But it's true athletes can break records away from the pressure of competition, and it doesn't really count unless your under the stress of being at the event with all the judging, rules, and protocol that goes along with that.

The Kobe hate is funny, what the eating league asked him to do would be like the British open telling American folders they had to quit the PGA to compete in their event

Mudkips

Banned
jett said:
GO KOBI

Eat shit and die Nathan's.

Considering the nature of this contest, this is exactly what is going on.
Nathan's hot dogs taste like ass, and the texture is even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom