• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest 2011 |OT| AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord Error said:
He made this competition famous like it is today. Maybe too strong of a word, but still, it was completely obscure and not known to anyone before he joined really. That makes the way they treated him with this 'incident' all the worse.

It's not too strong. No one really cared about this event until Kobayashi ate 50. That was a 25 hotdog increase over the previous record. People were interested in how some skinny kid was able to eat that much. Without him ESPN would've never even been interested in showing this event.

YagizY

Fuck this contest, I don't really give a crap if Kobayashi isn't part of it. Chestnut is lame and boring and no one will even be able to compete with him.

DrForester said:
"We didn't ban him, he just elected not to be here, and his name magically vanished from the winner's board behind me"

lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Please tell me someone is streaming Kobayashi's try as well? If so link it up here as well.
Would be fun watching them side by side.

Celsior said:
Totally dodges the question

That dude was so nervous when he was trying to tiptoe around the Kobayashi question. He ended up just blaming it on Kobayashi by saying that he didn't want to be there. I also like when he said "He contributed a lot to the sport....10 years ago". Way to downplay the fact that a few years after that you got a contract with ESPN to show this event.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
DrForester said:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/thed...dDHAQ/hot-dog-eating-champ-eats-in-exile.html
Hot Dog-Eating Champ Eats in Exile
via (title unknown) on 7/2/11
Six-time hot dog-eating champion Takeru Kobayashi was barred from competing in Nathan's Famous annual July 4th hot dog-eating competition due to a contract dispute, and banned in 2010 from the event itself after trying to storm the stage, wearing a “free Kobi” T-shirt. This year he's trying to compete from afar, eating hot dogs in a Manhattan bar alongside a live satellite feed of the Coney Island contest. Even if he wins, the president of Major League Eating, which administers the competition, says he won't recognize the victory. "It's a farce, and I'm all for it," George Shea says. "But it's still a farce." Shea says the league has been trying to negotiate with Kobayashi for more than a year, but he refuses to talk. Kobayashi seems to harbor no ill will: "I don't have any vengeance against anyone," he says. "It's not like that. I went for what I wanted to and felt it was fair. Every time I go for a record now, I'm just working for myself."

shuri

Banned
What's weird is how in 1981, the record was 12. Were they using bigger hot dogs back then? It almost amount to one hot dog a minute, which seems very slow.

Predictions!

1st place- Chestnut
2nd place- Some guy who's big but not super fat and has a crazy haircut/ outfit
3rd place- Some really fat guy
4th place- A woman

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
weekend_warrior said:
Predictions!

1st place- Chestnut
2nd place- Some guy who's big but not super fat and has a crazy haircut/ outfit
3rd place- Some really fat guy
4th place- A woman

Women don't count anymore.

gimmmick

nathans.jpg

Team craftsteak @ the Vegas outing this year. 8 hotdogs down in 5 mins, it's a lot harder than what it seems I'll tell you that.

lazybones18 said:
I see Kobayashi's name on the wall. WTF you guys talking about?

The portrait of six-time winner of Nathan's Famous July Fourth International Hot Dog Eating Contest was removed from the wall by the Major League Eating organization.

"The wall has been changed a few different times," said organizer Richard Shea. "And they were all great eaters at the time."

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/20...ot-dog-eating-contest-again-via-satellite-tv/

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't see the big deal about Kobayashi. You sign a contract with any other competitive organization, you are exclusive to it. If you sign with UFC you can't go compete in Bellator or something. The crap about him being arrested is dumb though if he was just trying to congratulate Chestnut.

totowhoa

Banned
haha, were they booing the Chinese? Hard to tell with the shit sound, but it certainly wasn't unanimous praise. :p

Bradlums

lol at the sportsnation poll shown right before the start of the competition. 83% of people believe competitive eating is NOT a sport. way to psyche america up -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom