• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

Calling nintendo is the only way to get a refund? there's no chat or email for support? what if you're deaf/mute?

I don't think I can play this game anymore, rather have my $20 back. It's blurry and the gameplay is frustrating.
They increased the resolution of the Switch version in portable mode seemingly for the upcoming patch.
The CEO said the framerate is a bit lower but unnoticeable and it looks great.

hiro_x

I have to imagine in situations like that they would have to handle things over email.

I tried going to their support page and the only option for 'Order cancellation/returns' is to call them.

Effect

Moondrop

Banned
They increased the resolution of the Switch version in portable mode seemingly for the upcoming patch.
So if one person is playing docked and one undocked in online multiplayer, are they at separate frame rates? Or was the docked frame rate deliberately downgraded to fix the problems in undocked mode?

Did your "great with questions" CEO tackle that one?

So if one person is playing docked and one undocked in online multiplayer, are they at separate frame rates? Or was the docked frame rate deliberately downgraded to fix the problems in undocked mode?

Did your "great with questions" CEO tackle that one?
Ask him yourself.
With that attitude, I'm surprised they even care to accommodate the feedback of the gamers.

Moondrop

Banned
Ask him yourself.
With that attitude, I'm surprised they even care to accommodate the feedback of the gamers.
You praised the communication skills of the CEO on this very page. Then you carried vague, second hand information of a frame rate decrease.

Surely my follow-up question was posed to the CEO on Facebook after such an announcement. How did he respond? Did he duck the question like you did?

I would think my attitude of consumer skepticism is more appropriate on NeoGAF than what you're exhibiting, but opinions vary.

EDarkness

From the sounds of things it seems it was a good call to hold off on buying this on Switch. I had concerns on how quickly the patch for online, etc would come. I did not think it would be a few days and and looks like that was a good thing to be concerned about. Then there are the issues with the AI.

I was going to get this day one, but decided to hold off because I was skeptical if they were going to be able to do what they said they were going to do, and I was right. They kept saying that it was submitted to Nintendo, but if that were the case, it shouldn't have taken this long to get the patch out considering other companies have been patching their games and getting the patch released fairly quickly. If the patch was already in the queue, then it should have been released already.

F34R

I was going to get this day one, but decided to hold off because I was skeptical if they were going to be able to do what they said they were going to do, and I was right. They kept saying that it was submitted to Nintendo, but if that were the case, it shouldn't have taken this long to get the patch out considering other companies have been patching their games and getting the patch released fairly quickly. If the patch was already in the queue, then it should have been released already.

Unless other companies submitted earlier, and it takes a while either way? Anything suggesting otherwise? Did other companies say that their patches were submitted day x and then a couple days later it was out?

OAZQMMy.jpg

PdEzO24.jpg

blessed by the RNG

Wish they fix the damn AI. Sick of their constant steals and always perfect shots. Still on the final match in Paris and ready to throw my switch in the garbage because of this game. Developer like these should be banned from making games.

Is it just me, or is the easiest difficulty still kind of hard in the later tournaments? I'm in the Tournement where I am playing against two Clipper players, and man, they are steal heavy. Like, I can't even cross the half-court line.

Maybe it's just inconsistent. I played a game in the secound tournement when I lost 11-35. Then I replayed them and I beat them 30-12. I didn't change anything in my gameplay strategy.

Matt Karch on the recent patch(available for PC and PS4 of now)and general stuff:

‎Matthew Karch‎ to NBA PLAYGROUNDS Community
53 mins ·
Hey all. Just a quick update. You can trust me when I tell you we are listening to all of your feedback and taking detailed notes. The motivation behind the updates in the latest build was to eliminate what appeared to be surefire strategies to win with 3’s. I understand that these changes can cause frustration when you feel comfortable with the given system but we felt that they were important for the longevity of the game. I hope that you can all see that we are trying to be very responsive to feedback but obviously we need to find a balance. A few quick points:

1) The shot meter can be turned off in the menus.
2) No player can 100% make a shot any longer. Guys with the highest ratings (like Curry in 3’s) can make their given shot almost all the time (90-95%) so just because the meter is in the green doesn’t mean that it will go in. Some people think that is the right decision and others don’t. It is just so easy to master a shot that we wanted to make it slightly more like real life while still having the arcade element.
3) Steals should not have become easier because they are tied to stamina, but steals from behind were added - not sure that was the right decision and would love to know your thoughts after you have gotten a bit used to the new arrangement.
4) This game is peer-to-peer so lag can be a problem on occasion. The game generally handles lag well but we understand it can be a problem and are working to make adjustments.
5) More tournaments, playgrounds, players, modes and fixes are on the way for free. If you have some frustration now, it will likely subside with a bit of playing and by communicating with us so we can make changes.
6) Yes, Shaq is overpowered. That needs to be fixed so he stops making 3’s. It should have been somewhat improved. Shaq making 3’s seems to drive everyone nuts
7) Rage quitting - it penalizes only after a few quits - we didn’t want to take away XP for one quit. Bad lag, a power outage or something like that could cause a quit and we didn’t want to punish for that. Quitters will be quitters though.

I hope you can also see that we are dedicated to making improvements to the game. We are treating this game as a service and will continue to make fixes, improvements, occasional reversals of action and add a ton of new content. We are excited that people are so passionate about this game. It definitely makes us nervous though as we know reactions to changes will be strong. Stick with us and we will nail it so that 80% of you will be happy.

Ok today’s update is done - more to come. Feel free to bash away:)

hbkdx12

Is this the first update, the one that takes exp from winning exhibitions down to 40?

Does it add the couple of new players that were mentioned? Klay Thompson, Kenny Smith, Isaiah Thomas, etc?

You still get 100 xp for winning exhibitions

This shot meter is ass cheeks though. The placement is awful. Forces you to take your eye off the action

NateDrake

They say the switch patch is done just pending nintendo approval

Crazy to think it has taken this long for the patch to get approved and released. Other games had patches out within 24hrs of a game release. Why this one is taking forever is strange.

bumpkin

They say the switch patch is done just pending nintendo approval
I'm fully expecting discrepancies between what we get on Switch (in the patch) and what's listed in the change log for the latest PC/PS4/XB1 patch. Wasn't there some talk that they had one update in the queue pending QA approval, and the balancing tweaks were in another update?

I'm trying to remain calm about the situation and have fun with the game, but damn if it's not annoying how the Switch version is feeling like a second class citizen.

I'm fully expecting discrepancies between what we get on Switch (in the patch) and what's listed in the change log for the latest PC/PS4/XB1 patch. Wasn't there some talk that they had one update in the queue pending QA approval, and the balancing tweaks were in another update?

I'm trying to remain calm about the situation and have fun with the game, but damn if it's not annoying how the Switch version is feeling like a second class citizen.
Yeah they said once this patch is approved another will already be waiting. It's a shame that the patching pipeline on the Switch seems so slow

I shoulda finished the tourneys before the patch, never lost a game before. dirk and magic just ripped me tho, a lot harder to score than it was before

w0s

I am loving this on the switch. I am up to London so maybe things change but I'm not sure why people are complaining about the pushing. This game was exactly what I wanted nba jam meets archrivals.

bumpkin

Man, I am never going to complete the 15 steals challenge. I heard they were dropping it to 10 in the balancing patch, but even cracking five is a pain in the ass. Obviously pure steals using the button count, but does any kind of loss of possession due to me (like shoving) count too?

Ixion

This shot meter is ass cheeks though. The placement is awful. Forces you to take your eye off the action

Yeah, on one hand it might make sense to have the meter move with the player, but then you're dealing with a moving meter, which might be even more wonky.

As others have said, I think the best approach for this game is to not even have timing be a factor for dunks and layups. If you just have the meter for shots, then you can include a stationary meter right next to the player, while having no meter at all for when you're moving (dunks/layups). That's what other basketball games have done in the past. It feels more natural.

Executing a dunk/layup should just be about not getting blocked/pushed.

Aaron - trust me - we know it:). We have something big in the works for Switch owners as a "make good". I can't share it now but I hope to be able to announce it by Saturday. I promise it is coming soon and more

From Matt Karch after someone asked about the Switch patch and their frustration of still no online.

jmizzal

Aaron - trust me - we know it:). We have something big in the works for Switch owners as a "make good". I can't share it now but I hope to be able to announce it by Saturday. I promise it is coming soon and more

From Matt Karch after someone asked about the Switch patch and their frustration of still no online.

Better be some good, extra card packs and more

New update out for PC. I believe it is also out on PS4.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/545270/announcements/detail/1271551010171364517

NBA PLAYGROUNDS Update 1.1.2
27 MAY - THEUSSNER_S3D
Thanks for all your feedback regarding the last patch. We really appreciated and we´re releasing this patch for the weekend with some improvements we made based on your feedback.

We know that the patches are quite big at this point due to some technical limitations. We´re working on a solution to create smaller patches in the future.

Thanks again for all your great feedback. See you on the playground.

Notable Changes:

Added: A loading screen with the explanation of the new Shot Meter and how player stats define the success ratios for the scoring action.
Added: 5 new dunks were added to the current set.
Adjusted: The steal action has been re-balanced based on your feedback to better fit the intended gameplay. Overall, succeeding with a steal action became harder.
Adjusted: The 3 pointers were adjusted so that players with good stat have an increased chance to score whereas the chance to score for players with low stats was lowered.
Changed: The card background of Epic and Legendary cards are now silver for Epic cards and golden for Legendary ones.
Changed: The number of steals needed for the Las Vegas challenge Nr. 2 was reduced to 6 (was 10).
Changed: The number of steals needed for the Shanghai challenge Nr. 3 was reduced to 4 (was 7).
Changed: A team can only include each player once; it is no longer possible to have a team with the same players
Changed: Shaquille O´Neal chance to score a 3-pointer was drastically reduced

Notable Fixes:

Fixed: An issue that allowed multiple options to be selected at the same time in the Options Menu was fixed.

For Switch owners, it looks like they have an announcement for you on Thursday.

https://www.facebook.com/NBAPlaygrounds/posts/242219799588695

Nintendo Switch players! You've been so patient with the upcoming online play and update. We're going to have a huge announcement on Thursday for you as a thank you - stay tuned!

bumpkin

Nintendo Switch players! You've been so patient with the upcoming online play and update. We're going to have a huge announcement on Thursday for you as a thank you - stay tuned!
Thursday... As in next week? Fuck, man! I would huff and puff and stomp my feet and say "IT BETTER BE GOOD!", but I know there's no recourse even if it's a lame apologetic gesture. It was a $20 digital game with an NBA license, I should be happy such a thing was even possible.

...right?

arimanius

So I just called Nintendo trying to get a refund based on the fact that there's been no updates to add online play. They stated they don't do refunds on accidental purchases or not liking a game and since I'm not liking the game because there's no online play there's no refunds. I stated this was more of a case of them not delivery what they stated but they weren't having any of it. Good luck if you try to get one.

fernoca

Though an announcement as a thanks for the patience, is a weird choice of words. :p

Maybe the update will give a few packs of cards or something. XD

HeySeuss

So I just called Nintendo trying to get a refund based on the fact that there's been no updates to add online play. They stated they don't do refunds on accidental purchases or not liking a game and since I'm not liking the game because there's no online play there's no refunds. I stated this was more of a case of them not delivery what they stated but they weren't having any of it. Good luck if you try to get one.

Not trying to be an ass here, but why would you think a refund would be possible anyway? No store let's you open a physical game and take it back for a refund if you don't like it, why would a digital game be any different?

Not trying to be an ass here, but why would you think a refund would be possible anyway? No store let's you open a physical game and take it back for a refund if you don't like it, why would a digital game be any different?

The issue isn't that the poster dislikes the game for the sake of disliking it, its that its currently missing updates and modes that the other versions have. Thats a vaild complaint if you bought it on Switch, dont you think?

EDarkness

They said Saturday (today) a day and a half ago.

Okay, I thought I was going crazy, because I didn't remember them saying anything about Thursday. Everything they're doing just keeps getting pushed back. On Wednesday it'll be the NEXT Wednesday and so on. I don't think they're doing much for their reputation right now. They should have never released the game without online. They could have easily waited a couple of weeks to make sure it was there on day one, but I think they figured the game would sell like ass so they didn't need to worry about it. Just a bad decision all the way around.

They said Saturday (today) a day and a half ago.
No.
The CEO said he hoped to announce what's coming to the Switch version today but he didn't say it was coming today.
Their Twitter said they'll have a substantial announcement on Thursday for Switch owners.
They need to work on their communication skills for sure as messages can get mixed but it seems obvious to me that Thursday something is finally happening.

ctfg23

They need to make it so you can only get a max of 3 repeats per pack or something. I've gotten all repeats in my last 3 packs and am nowhere near having all of the players.

Top Bottom