• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

EDarkness

have you followed any multiplatform releases on nintendo platforms in the past decade

Yep. My thought is that they expected the NS version to sell like crap, but I'm thinking it's probably one of the best selling versions so now they have to scramble to get this game at an acceptable level. I don't think they would have released the PS4 or Xbox One version without online play.

In many cases, absolutely. But why are the Switch owners being expected to wait for these features that ps4 and PC user can already access? Everyone paid the same amount, right?
I'm just grateful a third party is giving a Nintendo sysytem the same updates(if not more) as the other systems.
Sure it's fucking frustrating but I can wait a certain while.
If they say the update will be at the end of June, then I will join the crowd to burn the witches.
Hopefully, this first update will be the only severely delayed one.
Nintendo is pretty slow with these things so you can believe who you want, Thursday should clear the air.

it's weird, playing the CPU it's too hard, but if you play online, they're still really easy for people. hard to balance with the way they set up shooting. really wish it was just old school nba jam style but i get what they were going for.

arimanius

Not trying to be an ass here, but why would you think a refund would be possible anyway? No store let's you open a physical game and take it back for a refund if you don't like it, why would a digital game be any different?

I didn't think I would be able to get one. Someone in the thread earlier stated he was able to get one so thought I would try. I have only ever asked for a refund for two games. This and Halo MCC. To me it's frustrating and unacceptable we are almost a month from release and the switch hasn't gotten a single update compared to the other platforms and until recently no news. I hope the news next Thursday will be some positive news for switch owners.

I'm just grateful a third party is giving a Nintendo sysytem the same updates(if not more) as the other systems.
Sure it's fucking frustrating but I can wait a certain while.
If they say the update will be at the end of June, then I will join the crowd to burn the witches.
Hopefully, this first update will be the only severely delayed one.
Nintendo is pretty slow with these things so you can believe who you want, Thursday should clear the air.

What exactly is the cause for the delay? Is it that the updates for the Switch version have to go through a stricter approval process by Nintendo, or is it on the developer's end?

modsbox

For those of you frustrated about repeats in packs when trying to unlock... if you take the time to grind to 50 you'll end up fairly happy I think.

As far as I can tell the way it's coded every gold pack gives you at least one new player.
Sometimes two, but always at least one, most often in the rightmost of the 5 slots.

Post the latest patch 3s are once again easy to hit with a 10 rated 3pt shooter. Good combo for grinding is Steph and then a 10 blocker like David Robinson.

I've got about 15 players left to unlock, but at least now getting a gold pack after each level grind I'm guaranteed to get one. I've found I can grind for a pack in about 10-12 minutes at this point.

Sh0k

For those of you frustrated about repeats in packs when trying to unlock... if you take the time to grind to 50 you'll end up fairly happy I think.

As far as I can tell the way it's coded every gold pack gives you at least one new player.
Sometimes two, but always at least one, most often in the rightmost of the 5 slots.

Post the latest patch 3s are once again easy to hit with a 10 rated 3pt shooter. Good combo for grinding is Steph and then a 10 blocker like David Robinson.

I've got about 15 players left to unlock, but at least now getting a gold pack after each level grind I'm guaranteed to get one. I've found I can grind for a pack in about 10-12 minutes at this point.

I got three more players left to unlock, just got to rank 50 and like you said, I've been getting at least one or two new players every gold pack.

Got two more gold packs and now all players are unlocked.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So the big announcement for Switch on Thursday has to be them fixing the undocked graphics, right?

ElNino

Not trying to be an ass here, but why would you think a refund would be possible anyway? No store let's you open a physical game and take it back for a refund if you don't like it, why would a digital game be any different?
I believe EB does offer this if you are in one of the higher tiers of their rewards program. I believe it is up to a week where you can do a one-time exchange for a different game.

So the big announcement for Switch on Thursday has to be them fixing the undocked graphics, right?
Yeah, amongst other things(the crazy Rumble, etc...).
Don't expect it to be 720p but supposedly the first optimization allows for close to 600p maintaining 60 fps.
600p doesn't sound great but it's a start and supposedly it looks "great" and is a "significant" improvement.
Shit, it must be running at something really awful currently then, haha.
I've gotten used to it but their Twitter said the blurriness is almost entirely gone.
The more specific numbers I mentioned are from the CEO himself from their Facebook community.
He's very often posting there if you have any questions or want to give feedback.

Solo Act

No offense to fans of this game, but I wonder if the amount of attention this very average game is getting has at least had the question raised at EA headquarters, "Why do we not have an updated NBA Jam or Street game after so long?"

I see this thread is very active, is the game really worth it? I am a big NBA fan.

I have PS4, no Switch yet, probably at the end of the year.

fernoca

No offense to fans of this game, but I wonder if the amount of attention this very average game is getting has at least had the question raised at EA headquarters, "Why do we not have an updated NBA Jam or Street game after so long?"
Well, Jam made it to Wii then upgraded to 360 and PS3 a few years ago. So only Street remains. :p

ElNino

And how much money have they pumped into NBA Live over the last 10 years for what I presume has been a much smaller pay off than the 2k series has been enjoying.

hbkdx12

How do you or can you change the time of the matches in the options?
There's a button for match options on the screen where you pick the stage you want to play on.

I feel like this game has gotten the attention it has because it is being heavily aligned with the switch (new system, people hungry for games, couch coop, arcadey/casual feel that is associated with a lot of nintendo titles) If this were released on just PS4 and Xbox you could easily knock off 15 or so pages from this thread.

And how much money have they pumped into NBA Live over the last 10 years for what I presume has been a much smaller pay off than the 2k series has been enjoying.
I can see why they keep trying with Live even though they keep fucking it up; because as 2k and madden have shown, if/once they get it right, they can just release the game year after year with minimal upgrades that aren't as cost intensive as time goes on. After a few years you're probably already just printing money.

They're not going to release an NBA street game every year and even if they did, there's no way fans would be ok with minimal changes year to year that don't amount to much more then some new animation tweaks and roster updates

bumpkin

Fuckin' finally beat the 15 steals challenge. I'm just glad I did so before the patch comes to Switch with the balancing changes. It was difficult enough with broken steals. I ended up doing it with two Stocktons, screwing up in-bounding passes to set up steal opportunities by giving the AI possession, and basically making no effort to win the game...

DBB84PyUQAA4S_y.jpg:large

With that, I've completed all of the tournaments and their challenges. Eager for what they add next!

modsbox

Just a heads up, gold packs can definitely give you all repeats. Have had it happen 4 times in a row now. I've only got 4 players left to unlock, but it's just repeats, repeats repeats. Argh.

I will say though that having played the patched (believe it is 1.03 or 1.04) version on my PS4 quite a bit today the balance is way better than original. Once you get used to the fact that 3s don't always go in and really mix the game up it feels good. You can hit 3s pretty consistently with Steph if you've got the timing down.

Worth mentioning that I unlocked my second Shaquille O'Neal earlier (about 5 packs ago) and was disappointed to see his stats are the same. I was hoping his Celtics stats would be worse since that was the end of his career. That way my dream of a younger Vince Carter on Toronto to unlock later, with a sick 10 dunk rating could eventually become a reality.

I don't get the point of having multiple versions of the same player to accommodate them having played for multiple teams but then keeping the stats the same. Why bother?

Haven't seen this posted here yet.

RSCcHGGm.jpg
Matt's a good dude.
They shouldn't have used the "few days" online reference but they are not treating the Switch like the redheaded stepchild version of the game.
I believe they'll come through but can understand Switch owners' impatience(I'm one of them).
They have SO much free postgame content planned for every platform that the game is going to be a really good value when it's all said and done.
Wii U third parties didn't offer postgame support for the few and far between games that released for it so this is at least refreshing progress.

maxmars

Matt's a good dude.
They shouldn't have used the "few days" online reference but they are not treating the Switch like the redheaded stepchild version of the game.
I believe they'll come through but can understand Switch owners' impatience(I'm one of them).
They have SO much free postgame content planned for every platform that the game is going to be a really good value when it's all said and done.
Wii U third parties didn't offer postgame support for the few and far between games that released for it so this is at least refreshing progress.

TBH, I'm already having fun as it is. More is always better but it's not like the game is unplayable or something. It's already a great 2p local experience.

From the Facebook community page. They are giving the community a chance to record our catchphrase and they might include it in a future update.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/433024270405502/permalink/439146633126599/

Hey all. My bud Craig Sherman made a cool suggestion if you are interested. One of the complaints of our game is that we need more energy in the voiceovers. Well here is your chance. Record your own catch phrase and upload it here. If the recording and saying is good we might just use it or have Ian and EJ re-record it. Remember that the game has an E rating. Thanks.

I've been wanting to pick this up. All I really want in life is NBA Jam TE with online though... Is this going to disappoint me?

Yeah. Imagine NBA Jam with really weird scoring rules, an annoying turbo system tied to steals and pushes, and all the fun sucked out. Online play has been horrid so far, maybe they can fix that at least.

selo

Hopefully the patch also reduces the load times, that's what mostly puts me off from playing when I have some minutes to spare.

Wasp14

News is up. Switch owners get Shaq Fu for free in the fall. No estimate on when the first patch or online will arrive. I'm so frustrated with these developers who just seem to be stringing people along.

F34R

I was duped...

I literally bought the game on the premise of what they were going to announce today... ugh.

Top Bottom