• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

That was their "BIG" announcement yesterday..

And it is a big announcement. The online patch is out of their hands, they already submitted it to Nintendo and have been waiting for it to be approved and pushed.
Offering a free game that will probably end up costing the exact same people paid for NBA Playgrounds is a great deal.

Chitown B

And it is a big announcement. The online patch is out of their hands, they already submitted it to Nintendo and have been waiting for it to be approved and pushed.
Offering a free game that will probably end up costing the exact same people paid for NBA Playgrounds is a great deal.

it is, except most of us wouldn't buy it anyway.

bumpkin

it is, except most of us wouldn't buy it anyway.
It reminds me of when Microsoft gave away copies of Undertow as their apology for an XBL outage. The game was shit, I never would have spent a dime on it.

I'm not saying 'Fu is going to be shit too, but yeah, I wouldn't have bought it. Not unless I heard from friends or GAF that it was awesome.

Brofield

I bought NBA Playgrounds because of free ShaqFu. If that means I'm paying roughly $15 CDN each, that's a helluva good deal in my books.

I still suck, but I'm hoping I can understand the controls a little better before online goes up. Somehow I suggested the AI to Alleyoop, and then I forgot to pass the ball to them. A little funny watching Lin slamdunk with no ball in hand.

deadfolk

I bought NBA Playgrounds because of free ShaqFu. If that means I'm paying roughly $15 CDN each, that's a helluva good deal in my books.

Same here. I was 50/50 on picking this up after seeing the impressions here, but a combination of the developers' responsiveness and the fact that I would never buy this in the future if I missed out on a free copy of SF pushed me over the line.

jmizzal

This info I saw Saturday hopefully patch this week

http://gonintendo.com/stories/28173...ch-increases-resolution-reduces-file-size-and

- file size reduced by half
- increased resolution
- online play
- includes all other features from other versions
- working on logistical issues right now with Nintendo in order to get the patch out
- trying to do things with the patch that haven't been done on Switch before
- says Nintendo are great to work with and are awesome partners

bumpkin

http://gonintendo.com/stories/28173...ch-increases-resolution-reduces-file-size-and

- increased resolution
- online play
- working on logistical issues right now with Nintendo in order to get the patch out
Your bump psyched me out... I got excited for a second and thought someone must be posting that the Switch patch is live.

Goddammit.

derFeef

- increased resolution
- online play

That info was posted last week as well. So I would not count on it.

nickerous

Do the trophies in tournaments give more experience? I'm at the last tournament but didn't know if it was worth it to go back to the others to get trophies I missed...

F34R

Here are a few quotes from Matthew Karch on Facebook:

Hey all. Took the day off to avoid the haters. Is that wrong? Switch patch on online is long done. The story of why you don't have it is another story entirely, but it is coming and hopefully soon so I don't need to keep giving away free stuff ��. All I can do is wait with you guys and be called names for it��. Feel free to vent - we are trying to do the right thing.

Question he was asked:
How come Nintendo takes so long for the patch with you But has pushed multiple bomberman ones already
reply:
Because we are making significant changes to the game that fundamentally change things. I can't go into too much detail without violating NDAs but we are pushing the envelope on a new platform in many ways

edit:

another from 25mins ago 6:43pm (EST):
We are getting much closer on Switch. Had some good news from Nintendo today, but I am keeping my mouth shut about it for now or I might need to give my next release away for free too...

derFeef

We are live with our Xbox One update! 15 free new players in card packs, Shaq alternate jerseys, challenge your friends online, online quitter punishment, new shot meter, 3-pointer difficulty increased, and a ton more! Coming soon to Nintendo Switch which is currently back in submission.
luls. Back in submission.

fernoca

The patch reduces the size of the game, ups the resolution, adds online multiplayer, adds more content even, on top of fixing many things.

Is like they rewrote the entire code, since the patch will basically turn it into a new game, it managed to break other things along the way. Therefore the long wait and multiple submissions.

Chitown B

The patch reduces the size of the game, ups the resolution, adds online multiplayer, adds more content even, on top of fixing many things.

Is like they rewrote the entire code, since the patch will basically turn it into a new game, it managed to break other things along the way. Therefore the long wait and multiple submissions.

so you just speculated a bunch of stuff.

fernoca

so you just speculated a bunch of stuff.
Not a bunch. The only speculation was that because of everything they're changing, it technically became a new game and Nintendo was more cautious and delayed things, while they fixed others.

So it wasn't just Nintendo holding things for no reason or been slow. Which was some assumed was the case, but rather than they had to submit the update(s) multiple times because of all the changes.

aznpxdd

Native resolution and online multiplayer should've been in the game since start. Can't wait to finally get the patch and get rid of the ugly blurriness currently.

Native resolution and online multiplayer should've been in the game since start. Can't wait to finally get the patch and get rid of the ugly blurriness currently.
Don't expect 720p.
Matt Karch said with the first bump they had it running at around 600p maintaining a solid 60 FPS.
Have no idea what it is in its current state, haha.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cool news about shaq-fu!

I bought this game a week or so ago.. and am really struggling. Is anyone able to provide advice on the timing of shots? I cant see any visible cues for when i need to let go of the shot button for dunks... so currently im getting about 1 in 20 dunks in... and clearly not doing to well.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cool news about shaq-fu!

I bought this game a week or so ago.. and am really struggling. Is anyone able to provide advice on the timing of shots? I cant see any visible cues for when i need to let go of the shot button for dunks... so currently im getting about 1 in 20 dunks in... and clearly not doing to well.

Any help would be appreciated :)
It's hard to say what the timing is for dunks but once you get the feel for when you let go of the shot button for them, you will make them all(unless blocked) almost all the time.
Hard for me to say what the time is but maybe one second???
Not right after you jump but not much later.
I think the upcoming new update has a meter for both shots and dunks.
I also think it can be turned off if you don't like it.

CD'S BAR

can you not get the "activate 5 lottery picks in a single match" achievement in exhibition mode? set a match to 10min to make it easy but didn't work.

i don't use the meter for shots but you like almost have to for layups and dunks. for shots i just do better if i just look at the player. but with dunks and layups the green area is way bigger so it makes more sense to go to the meter for them.

modsbox

can you not get the "activate 5 lottery picks in a single match" achievement in exhibition mode? set a match to 10min to make it easy but didn't work.

You can, the issue you're having is that the trophy description isn't as specific as what you have to do to get it to pop.

In order to pop the trophy I discovered that you have to trigger 5 _of the same_ lottery pick in a game. That I'm 100% sure of, simply triggering five total lottery picks in a game definitely doesn't trigger the trophy.

Also, if I remember correctly the trophy may not have popped until I completed the game even after meeting the requirements. I could be wrong about that though.

In order to get it, I picked a long exhibition (perhaps 15 mins) and then two big dunkers. Alleyoop after alleyoop plus steals to keep getting lottery picks. Eventually I racked up five of the super speed lottery pick, and got the trophy.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Anybody not being able to play an online match, at all? Last few days I wasn't able to. Both online (it searches forever), nor with password and friends (it always gives a PSN error).

Other games work fine. This one doesn't... I'm thinking about trying to get a refund.

CD'S BAR

You can, the issue you're having is that the trophy description isn't as specific as what you have to do to get it to pop.

In order to pop the trophy I discovered that you have to trigger 5 _of the same_ lottery pick in a game. That I'm 100% sure of, simply triggering five total lottery picks in a game definitely doesn't trigger the trophy.

Also, if I remember correctly the trophy may not have popped until I completed the game even after meeting the requirements. I could be wrong about that though.

In order to get it, I picked a long exhibition (perhaps 15 mins) and then two big dunkers. Alleyoop after alleyoop plus steals to keep getting lottery picks. Eventually I racked up five of the super speed lottery pick, and got the trophy.

Thank you for the info.

Damn that sounds mundane, and a large chance of failure - I barely got 5 of any kind activated in a 10min match. Guess I'll not bother with it.

modsbox

Thank you for the info.

Damn that sounds mundane, and a large chance of failure - I barely got 5 of any kind activated in a 10min match. Guess I'll not bother with it.

Do you have a 2nd controller? You can get the trophy in an exhibition playing against a human opponent, aka a second controller just sitting there while you alley oop dunk it, steal, alley oop, steal... :)

Every time this thread is bumped, I think the patch has been released on the switch. And every single time, I walk away disappointed. The sads.

Dirk and Magic can eat a dick. They make every fucking shot. Have no idea how to beat them.

Pick a 9 or 10 rated in blocks player and a 9 or 10 rated 3 point shooter and go to town on 3s. Control shot blocker on defense and 3 point shooter on offense the whole time. Blew through the tournaments doing this. Wasn't fun but the AI in this game is atrocious. Wait until you get to the last tournament against Shaq. It defies logic than he can shoot perfect 3s at the rate he does in that last tournament.

w0s

Pick a 9 or 10 rated in blocks player and a 9 or 10 rated 3 point shooter and go to town on 3s. Control shot blocker on defense and 3 point shooter on offense the whole time. Blew through the tournaments doing this. Wasn't fun but the AI in this game is atrocious. Wait until you get to the last tournament against Shaq. It defies logic than he can shoot perfect 3s at the rate he does in that last tournament.

will give it a shot. pun not intended.

finally. Shot 3s and didn't give a shit about my meter and pushed.

Yep. It's not pretty but you are kinda forced to do it to keep up with the AI shenanigans (especially in the last round of the tournaments). It gets so bad sometimes, I cannot even get the ball across half court with them knocking the ball away from me. I like the old school "this is hard as balls" aspect, but sometimes it's borderline cheap.

Top Bottom